Callum Hudson-Odoi

5 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I thought it was decent performance at best. A few decent moments here and there, but didn't do anywhere near enough to hurt Villa.

I thought he was the only one trying to actually penetrate the defence with a through ball instead of mindlessly crossing it in all the time, that alone puts him above the others in my view. 

Just now, sonic90 said:

He's improved from before and is doing the simple things right, helping build the attack but he plays it too safe in my opinion. He doesn't seem to have the ability to beat his fullback.

His positioning in the box is good but with our play style of crossing, the ball will never come to him anyway.

I think he has the ability to beat his fullback, but he doesn't have the pace anymore. The injury has really damaged his potential. He's going to have to make adjustments to his game, because he will never be one of those wingers that can beat defenders with pace anymore.

4 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I think he has the ability to beat his fullback, but he doesn't have the pace anymore. The injury has really damaged his potential. He's going to have to make adjustments to his game, because he will never be one of those wingers that can beat defenders with pace anymore.

I couldn't see pace being a possibility during the game as he doesn't even attempt to take on his fullback. Sad if true because not many players can successfully change their game in a major way and still be a top player.

28 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

That's a good game? Toothless, very little created, no end product. That's good?

Think that way too harsh.

Sure, I too would like to see him skin defenders and put one in the back of the net or on a plate for the striker. Want to see him produce the sort of magic we got from Hazard, as have seen him do it for Academy and International U21's.

But It was his first start for ages and he did more than okay - especially with a few of those accurate cross-field balls he pinged. Hopefully confidence will come the more he plays and can be rotated with Ziyech and Pulicic.

There is a player in there.The pass with the outside of his foot in the first half along with the switch of play to Azpi was sublime. Callum appears to be playing safe most of the time though , could be an example of a young player being overcoached into not losing the ball. Give him a run of games and I do think he will produce in the long run.

Other than Ziyech I think he looks the most comfortable of our attackers when out on the right hand side.

He also somewhat made up for James' absence with his distribution. Probably the most defensively aware of our wide options too.

Hope that he can stay fit and that we get to see a lot more of him this season!

Our bar is too low if we are praising a cross field ball here and there. Perhaps I am being too harsh and maybe it is just the sorry state of the rest of our play that is impacting him, but it seems like he is playing with the handbrake on all the time. I don't remember him (or any of our creative players) creating any clear cut chances, taking on and beating a player, or having any play that resembles anything like what I expect from a winger (Pace, beat a man, quick incisive passing, quick thinking etc etc)

5 hours ago, charierre said:

There is a player in there.The pass with the outside of his foot in the first half along with the switch of play to Azpi was sublime. Callum appears to be playing safe most of the time though , could be an example of a young player being overcoached into not losing the ball. Give him a run of games and I do think he will produce in the long run.

I agree that he tends to play it safe, and lacks the confidence to really attack defenders. I think the injury has really affected his development as a player, and he's looked very ordinary since his comeback, but I have been encouraged by his last two displays, coming off the bench at Arsenal and today against Villa. He was our best player in the first half and was pretty good second half too. It's by far the best he's looked since his injury.

13 hours ago, nonotnowjim said:

Our bar is too low if we are praising a cross field ball here and there. Perhaps I am being too harsh and maybe it is just the sorry state of the rest of our play that is impacting him, but it seems like he is playing with the handbrake on all the time. I don't remember him (or any of our creative players) creating any clear cut chances, taking on and beating a player, or having any play that resembles anything like what I expect from a winger (Pace, beat a man, quick incisive passing, quick thinking etc etc)

He needs a run of games before we can make an assessment, for me he is having a better season than Pulisic. One has started 6 PL games, the other was on his 2nd start last night. I hope Lamps starts him V City, Morecambe & Fulham while Ziyech approaches full fitness, he will have a clear idea of where he is.

On 28/12/2020 at 20:08, sonic90 said:

He's improved from before and is doing the simple things right, helping build the attack but he plays it too safe in my opinion. He doesn't seem to have the ability to beat his fullback.

His positioning in the box is good but with our play style of crossing, the ball will never come to him anyway.

Exactly how i feel every time i see him play too. Before this game, his last 2 starts he never attempted one dribble. There is also something abut him that Lampard doesn't quite rate/trust.

2 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

Exactly how i feel every time i see him play too. Before this game, his last 2 starts he never attempted one dribble. There is also something abut him that Lampard doesn't quite rate/trust.

I think Frank is hesitant playing both James and CHO on the right due to defensive naivety which is mainly due to there age. I think Frank is more comfortable playing CHO with Azpi behind him so there is someone to positinally guide him, however in the last 1.5 games I reckon he has done incredibly well defensively tracking back.