Callum Hudson-Odoi

enigma

I don't think he's even been as bad as people made out these past couple of years but it's no doubt his form has been withdrawn when scaled for his talent level.

Now it's time for him to kick on like Saka has.

Edited by Argo

On 16/07/2021 at 20:00, Sindre said:

We have a great academy that produce terrific footballers but it's only the extraordinary good ones that will make it as a starter here. Most others will carve out great careers for themselves at other clubs.

I'll freely admit that I am on record here as being one for "play the youth at all costs!!" but even I am beginning to recognise the truth of exactly this.

Last couple of years have really underlined that for me. Mount & co. aren't just kids brought in to fill out pre-season obligations and squad numbers in the season, they genuinely compete for, and win titles as some of the most dominant and impactful players in the competition.

Would Tomas Kalas or Lewis Baker or Ola Aina have done the same?

Edited by SydneyChelsea

Whenever I think of Callum, it always brings me to comparisons with Raheem Sterling. Both, at the same age, were/are an incredibly talented player but lacking in maturity respective of decision making. If you compare the two at similar stages, Callum is already a European champion and has proven himself to have the minerals to step up when asked to do so. He has taken criticism relatively well and has performed outside of his natural position on a handful of occasions. You can not question his work rate under Tuchel, however I would have questioned it under Frank. To me it feels like he has a great future at this club but it's now down to whether he has the platform to do it; or else we will more than likely see another Raheem Sterling situation. He inevitably will have clubs from all over looking at him and under the right scenario, he could reach Sterling's levels with guidance. 

If I were him, I'd be looking for a move purely on the basis that as a footballer, you have to be selfish. He loves Chelsea and the club clearly reciprocate that back, a career is short however and time will pass him by. Dare I say it he would probably thrive at Dortmund if he were to be included in any potential Haaland deal (not happening I know). He is an electric talent. Give him a 38 game season and I'm sure he'd prove that.

38 minutes ago, JM7 said:

He seems to have an odd relationship with Tuchel. On one hand, Tuchel rates him and was super keen on him…but then towards the end of the season, he barely got a look in. 

Probably for the same reason Lampard dropped the youth bar Mount at the business end last season, when the medals (and CL qualification) is on the line it's (what they feel is) the best Xl no messing about.

But yes hopefully we see a lot more of him at the start of this coming season, I can't help but feel he's not far off a major breakthrough season.

15 hours ago, JM7 said:

He seems to have an odd relationship with Tuchel. On one hand, Tuchel rates him and was super keen on him…but then towards the end of the season, he barely got a look in. 

It is not just Tuchel though. It is very strange for such talented player to be doubted by three different managers. 

20 hours ago, JM7 said:

I'm almost certain the reason is, and I think Tuchel has even mentioned it, a lot of the German clubs had all the talented British teenagers on their radar at the time of Sancho moving and to this day to be fair. At the time of Tuchel being at Dortmund he would of known all about CHO, and they probably had discussions about buying him. They have seen the impact Sancho had, so when Tuchel arrived he played him regularly, then probably thought actually he's not as good as I need him to be.

Personally I think he's a very good talent. I think we put too much pressure on these kids, that when they get a chance in the first team, they are just expected to have the games of their lives. It doesn't work like that. At his age he needs regular football before he can start feeling comfortable, expressing himself, and then start putting up big numbers. I fully expect him to do that, I just hope he's given the opportunity. 

1 hour ago, Oli said:

I'm almost certain the reason is, and I think Tuchel has even mentioned it, a lot of the German clubs had all the talented British teenagers on their radar at the time of Sancho moving and to this day to be fair. At the time of Tuchel being at Dortmund he would of known all about CHO, and they probably had discussions about buying him. They have seen the impact Sancho had, so when Tuchel arrived he played him regularly, then probably thought actually he's not as good as I need him to be.

Personally I think he's a very good talent. I think we put too much pressure on these kids, that when they get a chance in the first team, they are just expected to have the games of their lives. It doesn't work like that. At his age he needs regular football before he can start feeling comfortable, expressing himself, and then start putting up big numbers. I fully expect him to do that, I just hope he's given the opportunity. 

Yeah I agree, I think he was intially excited to work with him and try him different positions. CHO does have potential but he really needs to show what he is made of this season, really lay down his marker otherwise he will become another RLC. 

On 20/07/2021 at 12:05, Argo said:

I don't think he's even been as bad as people made out these past couple of years but it's no doubt his form has been withdrawn when scaled for his talent level.

Now it's time for him to kick on like Saka has.

Two very different clubs though. Saka can go 5 games without doing anything at all and be guaranteed to start the next game. At Chelsea there's pressure on you if you go 30 minutes without doing anything in a game then you don't get a look in for another month. 

Put CHO in that Arsenal side and i'd happily put money on he'd be regarded as a bigger talent than Saka. We only have our own success to blame sadly.

5 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Two very different clubs though. Saka can go 5 games without doing anything at all and be guaranteed to start the next game. At Chelsea there's pressure on you if you go 30 minutes without doing anything in a game then you don't get a look in for another month. 

Put CHO in that Arsenal side and i'd happily put money on he'd be regarded as a bigger talent than Saka. We only have our own success to blame sadly.

Maybe but at the same time, why weren't/aren't Smith Rowe or Maitland Niles outperforming Mount and James respectively?

Also CHO has had better coaches compared to Saka who's had Arteta for all but 3 months of his senior career.

Edited by Argo

On 21/07/2021 at 15:10, Argo said:

Maybe but at the same time, why weren't/aren't Smith Rowe or Maitland Niles outperforming Mount and James respectively?

Also CHO has had better coaches compared to Saka who's had Arteta for all but 3 months of his senior career.

James and CHO get consistent game time regardless, CHO isn’t afforded that luxury.

35 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

……………CHO isn’t afforded that luxury.

Luxury , luxury !!!!!!!  it’s not a given that you get selected to play just because you exist, you have to earn the place and that’s what Mount and James have done and continue to do.

It’s vexing that some people put cho and other youth team products on a pedestal and believe that because they are “ home grown” that they have a divine right to get picked regardless.

He’s had opportunity upon opportunity to put his marker down in competitive matches, sometimes as a starter, and he consistently fails to do so - presumably he doesn’t impress in training too and that’s why he doesn’t get picked to start - it’s got f**k all to do with ‘luxury’ - imo.

NB - It’s interesting that TT said recently that there is no where for Callum to hide this season ? 

I remember that Frank also said something about CHO needing some tough love, although from the outside he seems exactly the opposite, like someone who needs to be embraced all the time. Dunno which one is it, but hoping TT can bring the best out of him, think his development will be pivotal to our title chances. 

He scored on our intra squad friendly yesterday, and seems to be "the star" of our preseason videos so far. Hopefully he's out for a truly breakout season and I believe he's the tools to do it at that attacking rwb position. 

I'm hoping for a big season from Callum. He's a year more mature now( crucial in the development of young players) . Had 12 months to get over his bad injury and now trust the repair of his tendon.  Hoping TT plays him on the left and gives him a run of games to cement his position in the side.

10 minutes ago, charierre said:

I'm hoping for a big season from Callum. He's a year more mature now( crucial in the development of young players) . Had 12 months to get over his bad injury and now trust the repair of his tendon.  Hoping TT plays him on the left and gives him a run of games to cement his position in the side.

Don't know if you all seen that video in the official app where it shows Callum training some long passes with Mendy. I was pleasantly surprised that in the last one it was a poor ball from Mendy, and Callum desperately goes for it trying to get it under control and I thought to myself "Well, I believe he isn't overthinking anymore" as iirc it was a simple long ball trap that got him his injury. 

28 minutes ago, Brigadeiro said:

I remember that Frank also said something about CHO needing some tough love, although from the outside he seems exactly the opposite, like someone who needs to be embraced all the time. Dunno which one is it, but hoping TT can bring the best out of him, think his development will be pivotal to our title chances. 

He scored on our intra squad friendly yesterday, and seems to be "the star" of our preseason videos so far. Hopefully he's out for a truly breakout season and I believe he's the tools to do it at that attacking rwb position. 

I think the biggest problem that he has is “settling for it” , it seems like he takes the easy option and doesn’t challenge himself, I honestly don’t think he believes in himself, he certainly isn’t a great reader of the game, all too often he seems to ball watch, switch off and forget what it is he is supposed to be doing, defensively he is a liability - I’m sorry , but he most definitely isn’t capable of playing wing back.

He’s 2 years into a 5 year contract worth £120k a week , so on top of the £13 million he’s already gotten, he’s got almost £20 million guaranteed whether he plays or he doesn’t - he only has to worry about how to avoid the tax man and what to spend his money on.

I could imagine a scenario where his ‘reputation’ will likely give him another contract with a lesser light club beyond 2024 at £60k a week , followed by a £20k a week in 2027, then it’s time to retire and do a bit of punditry??

Some people are stretched by the desire to achieve and some are not, I suspect he falls into the latter category.

All IMO of course ?

@Paddy Oh for sure, and I do agree with all your points above about "luxury" and such. To be on the team he's gotta start producing and putting the effort  consistently. I'm hoping for the best because we can see he's talented, so all we need from him is attitude. 

When you say he doesn't look confident in himself is the part where I start wondering if he's really one for "tough love" like Frank said, because most of times he looks exactly like that, not confident at all to go out there and stamp his authority on the game. Maybe what he needs to perform is some "cute love" and most likely he'll get it at a mid-table side where he's the star (think Zaha at Palace). I do hope he starts performing here though, because as you stated, he earns like a top player already. 

I do think he's upside as an attacking RWB though, he's a liability alright but has also shown commitment going back to defend our own area (I can't recall the game, but remember him doing a last ditch tackle/interception to save us). It can be effective whenever we have to take the game to our opponents (most of the times). Nevertheless it would require lots of work and to find some balance on the team whenever he's out there trying to be a menace on the right. We could do it considering Chilwell can provide some discipline over the left side and Reece keeps improving as RCB (plus Azpi). 

3 hours ago, Brigadeiro said:

@Paddy Oh for sure, and I do agree with all your points above about "luxury" and such. To be on the team he's gotta start producing and putting the effort  consistently. I'm hoping for the best because we can see he's talented, so all we need from him is attitude. 

When you say he doesn't look confident in himself is the part where I start wondering if he's really one for "tough love" like Frank said, because most of times he looks exactly like that, not confident at all to go out there and stamp his authority on the game. Maybe what he needs to perform is some "cute love" and most likely he'll get it at a mid-table side where he's the star (think Zaha at Palace). I do hope he starts performing here though, because as you stated, he earns like a top player already. 

I do think he's upside as an attacking RWB though, he's a liability alright but has also shown commitment going back to defend our own area (I can't recall the game, but remember him doing a last ditch tackle/interception to save us). It can be effective whenever we have to take the game to our opponents (most of the times). Nevertheless it would require lots of work and to find some balance on the team whenever he's out there trying to be a menace on the right. We could do it considering Chilwell can provide some discipline over the left side and Reece keeps improving as RCB (plus Azpi). 

That exactly illustrates my point - CL game v Rennes I think, he forgot that he was supposed to track back and lucky for him and us, when he remembered, his pace got him out of trouble. As long as he has a hole that he sh*ts through, he will never be a wing back - imo.

I don’t know about tough love, cute love, mother’s love or puppy love, I think he just needs to give it a proper good go and stop being scared about making a mistake or f**king up and prove if he has something to offer at this level rather than just turn up for the next 3 years going through the motions and taking the dough - in my parlance, it’s sh*t or bust time ? 

Unlike Tammy I believe that CHO will get a lot of playtime/trust from Tuchel.

Hopefully we improve the squad a bit so that we can comfortably play a back 4 formation.

On 24/07/2021 at 12:51, Paddy said:

Luxury , luxury !!!!!!!  it’s not a given that you get selected to play just because you exist, you have to earn the place and that’s what Mount and James have done and continue to do.

It’s vexing that some people put cho and other youth team products on a pedestal and believe that because they are “ home grown” that they have a divine right to get picked regardless.

He’s had opportunity upon opportunity to put his marker down in competitive matches, sometimes as a starter, and he consistently fails to do so - presumably he doesn’t impress in training too and that’s why he doesn’t get picked to start - it’s got f**k all to do with ‘luxury’ - imo.

NB - It’s interesting that TT said recently that there is no where for Callum to hide this season ? 

CHO was our best player in games like Newcastle and Arsenal then often didn’t see the pitch again for a few games. CHO looked class at RWB at the start under Tuchel then also got dropped for Azpi at RWB. People have this weird obsession with expecting CHO to come on for the last 10 minutes of a game we’re already losing and set the world on fire after having no real game time for weeks.

Mount I can name several consecutive games under Lamps where he did nothing towards the end of his first season but would still be on the team sheet regardless. That’s not a dig at Mount either, everyone on here knows I love him. 

Furthermore, feel free to stop swearing at me and respond like a civilised human being in future.

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

CHO was our best player in games like Newcastle and Arsenal then often didn’t see the pitch again for a few games. CHO looked class at RWB at the start under Tuchel then also got dropped for Azpi at RWB. People have this weird obsession with expecting CHO to come on for the last 10 minutes of a game we’re already losing and set the world on fire after having no real game time for weeks.

Mount I can name several consecutive games under Lamps where he did nothing towards the end of his first season but would still be on the team sheet regardless. That’s not a dig at Mount either, everyone on here knows I love him. 

Furthermore, feel free to stop swearing at me and respond like a civilised human being in future.

Oh dear, how disappointing!

Ordinarily , I wouldn’t respond to your argument, it’s futile , but you’ve accused me of something that I hadn’t done - I didn’t swear at you and to say that I did defames my character.

In case you don’t fully comprehend English enough to understand the nuances, let me give you an example; if I had said to you that you can continue to keep your f**king head up your arse as far as cho’s abilities are concerned you thick opinionated c**t - that would be me swearing directly at you and in such an instance you could call me out for having sworn at you but I didn’t , so don’t !

Finally, the way you carry on about odoi suggests that he is being victimised by successive managers in not being picked , when you should really be wondering “why doesn’t he get picked?” - putting all the conspiracy theories to one side , hmmmmmm, what could it be ???????? and bringing him on for the last 10 minutes is called ‘a Hail Mary’, ‘a shot to nothing’, ‘a last roll of the dice’ or as most people realise , shear desperation.

The last word, should you choose, is yours, I shan’t be responding further.

Edited by Paddy

16 minutes ago, coco said:

Completely understand, agree and duly noted.

However I will not be accused of something that isn’t true and that I hadn’t done - perhaps defamation or libel should be added to the rules ? 

If I have upset any members with my post , then please accept my sincerest apologies.