Callum Hudson-Odoi

enigma

39 minutes ago, ducavis said:

No it doesn’t and wouldn’t. You wouldn’t play Pulisic as a WB or Hazard as one. He needs to be isolated against a FB, not worrying about what is going on behind him. 

Very different type of players. You can compare the style of Pulisic and Hazard but CHO would be the odd one out in that comparison.

And he does have great protection behind him. For me it's no excuse for his lacklustre performances.

10 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Very different type of players. You can compare the style of Pulisic and Hazard but CHO would be the odd one out in that comparison.

And he does have great protection behind him. For me it's no excuse for his lacklustre performances.

In what way is he different?

3 hours ago, Sindre said:

How are they different?

I think that's valid.

Not sure whether the stats back this up (and they'll look slightly different with Hudson-Odoi playing a lot at wing-back under Tuchel), but the eye test suggests (to me at least) that Hudson-Odoi relies far more on passing (and long deliveries) to progress the ball, whereas the other two would instinctively try to dribble it forward.

17 hours ago, dkw said:

In what way is he different?

Hudson Odoi made a name for himself as a terrific crosser. Especially in 18/19 he was deadly whipping in pin point crosses from the right. And he was a speedster that would outrun opponents with sheer pace if he wanted too even though he also has a lot of tricks in his locker.
But CHO is much more of a traditional winger than either Pulisic or Hazard in my view. Hazard was a free-role kind of player which Odoi isn't and while Pulisic isn't anywhere near as good he's a similar type.

17 hours ago, Sindre said:

Nah, actually Pulisic is the odd man out. Playstyle wise cho and Hazard is quite similar. Both are not very direct, both can attack using multiple angle, both are not that good attacking the box. 

Pulisic on the other hand is extremely direct and he loves to attack the box. 

48 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Hudson Odoi made a name for himself as a terrific crosser. Especially in 18/19 he was deadly whipping in pin point crosses from the right. And he was a speedster that would outrun opponents with sheer pace if he wanted too even though he also has a lot of tricks in his locker.
But CHO is much more of a traditional winger than either Pulisic or Hazard in my view. Hazard was a free-role kind of player which Odoi isn't and while Pulisic isn't anywhere near as good he's a similar type.

CHO has always been known for his dribbling ability, his direct running and taking on defenders, exactly the same as Hazard was. He has never been known for his crossing only, though it is a good part of his game. If anything Pulisic is the one who`s most different to the other two, as he more often gets into the box on the end of crosses or moves, more like a 10 than an out and out winger.

1 hour ago, Sindre said:

To add onto this - Hudson-Odoi is the only one of the three that would be comfortable as one of the wide midfielders in a 4-4-2. 

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to be quite seriously linked with a Dortmund loan. The more I think about it, as long as we wrap up Kouné (freeing up James+Azpi for RWB), I really like the idea.

In two weeks we'll face Villa (a team we're expected to dominate) and Reece will be booked, and still I can't picture CHO playing over Azpi. Azpi has a fraction of the attacking skill Callum has, yet I feel like he's more likely to score a goal or provide an assist than Callum would be. It seems to me like Callum has reached a total mental block; without regular performances he's anxious not to make any mistakes when he plays, ends up being very predictable and rarely helps to break teams down. I know we aren't massively stacked in attacking options but I also can't see what would have to happen for Callum to get the playing time he needs to believe in himself, beyond League and FA Cup. Would 6 out of Pulisic, Werner, Ziyech, Mount, Havertz, Lukaku, Azpi or James have to be unavailable?

Dortmund would be the perfect destination for him. I actually find him extremely similar to Sancho - fast skillful wingers yet a bit overconcerned with their form and the elegance of their movement making them quite predictable; at this point Sancho is a better finisher though - and I believe he could tear the Bundesliga apart. Once that happens we might have a spot for him, but we might also have the opportunity to sell him to the Bundesliga for good money (either to Bayern who might like to snap him away from their rivals or to Dortmund who might wanna use the Haaland money to prove they're not just a selling club).

I'm seriously glad we didn't go for Sancho this summer. Dortmund fans understandably feel like 85m EUR is a bit cheap in the current market, on the other hand I suspect he won't even be worth that for United. I can't help but feel like both Sancho and CHO are much better suited to the Bundesliga where they can exploit the vast spaces with their pace and directness. There they can be superstars, Bayern and Dortmund draw massive international attention after all. In the Premier League I struggle to see what Sancho will offer to United over what we already have in Callum, other than more self confidence and better finishing from running at German goals for three years. Someone like Pulisic, while inconsistent so far, at least possesses the creativity to break down defenses in this league.

I'm all for a loan with no option to buy (which would be based on his current value), I feel like it would be a great deal for every party involved.

I honestly think it would be really daft to not send him to Dortmund on loan if the rumours are true. Proven track record of developing young players and Callum is never going to get much game time in his proper position, he isn’t a RWB. I’m yet to see what other people see in CHO to be honest so I’m really keen to see what he CAN do week in week out.

This loan would be really beneficial for him. Because if he stays here this season, he is going to regress due to lack of minutes. The talent is there but he needs to go somewhere where he can play regularly. By the end of the season, one of our attackers will have to leave because there are too many to keep everyone happy. And doesn't seem TT is shifting or rotating formation anytime soon, and I can't imagine CHO wanting to be playing as a RWB.

Idk why but I thought he would get more playtime this season, maybe I expected Tuchel to give him more chances since last season he openly spoke about him and wanted more from him...

I hope we don't regret loaning Gilmour and him this season.

11 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Idk why but I thought he would get more playtime this season, maybe I expected Tuchel to give him more chances since last season he openly spoke about him and wanted more from him...

I hope we don't regret loaning Gilmour and him this season.

We won't. Gilmour will be better for it and we have Trev who is good on the ball.

He has agreed to go to Dortmund and is now pushing for the move, said to be a loan. Club are giving TT the final say and at the moment he wants Callum to stay so he has better depth, however CHO and his agent and pushing back on this stating we allowed Gilmour to go and develop and leave us with 3 midfielders for 2 spots but are not willing to let him go when he clearly is 3rd choice at both wing back spots and sixth choice for the wide attacker positions, which we have better cover than we do in CM.

CHO is pushing hard for this. Seems silly to keep him.

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/chelsea-fc-transfer-rumours-news/2021/8/30/22648172/callum-hudson-odoi-agrees-personal-terms-with-borussia-dortmund-but-chelsea-blocking-move-report

3 minutes ago, charierre said:

Rumours Liverpool have made an offer

A PL club has made a transfer offer for him that is true, did not know it was them. 

In order for that to happen CHO will need to ask to leave I am sure. I do know from a mate who supports Liverpool they are desperate for a left sided attacker as Manes time there is coming to an end.

It may give us the money to pay Koundes release clause. So if guess is simple for TT. If the club agrees to pay that for Kounde if we sell CHO he can decide it. I would personally be asking for 60mill for Callum, since it is a direct rival.

Edited by axman2526

If we signed Kounde I’d be delighted to see him on loan at Dortmund. Really don’t want him going to a rival in prem and suddenly becoming the next sancho.

But we have very little creativity on the right of defence if James is out. So Cho is needed for me. If we had Kounde at rcb you can probably get away with azpi at rwb. I liked Cho at wing back against the poorer teams. 

2 minutes ago, Adamrb said:

If we signed Kounde I’d be delighted to see him on loan at Dortmund. Really don’t want him going to a rival in prem and suddenly becoming the next sancho.

But we have very little creativity on the right of defence if James is out. So Cho is needed for me. If we had Kounde at rcb you can probably get away with azpi at rwb. I liked Cho at wing back against the poorer teams. 

Well then give him games in his proper role, but oh well we play 5 at the back.

Seems too clubs still somehow value him, but we can’t seem to figure it out. I hope he leaves permanently.

5 minutes ago, Adamrb said:

Why not? We can't be sure yet if Sancho will cause us any trouble at one of our rivals.

I find them both quite similar in style and find them both too predictable to break PL defences down, not convinced either of them will set this league on fire. Both are custom made for the Bundesliga where they can exploit the spaces.

If some PL club offers big money on him I'd go for it