Callum Hudson-Odoi

enigma

31 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

Honestly, CHO need to go. He should have easily beaten Azpi for wb spot, but azpi outplayed him. He is right now our 3rd rwb. Being outplayed by azpi as wb especially is a big2 problem since Azpi is not a wb at all. 

It is better for CHO to go to Bundesliga, get better, get more playing time and get more recognition and then get back here as a more established player. 

Why should a young kid have easily beaten an experienced professional who is still playing at the top of his game to his position? The disrespect Azpi gets by this comment is astounding. I agree CHO could have done with a loan but the boss deemed him to be a vital squad member, that is good enough for me.

CHO has played WB a few times, and did quite well at the start of Tuchel's reign, but I don't think that makes him a WB. Unfortunately, his position (he tends to play like more of a traditional winger) doesn't really exist in our current system, and there is already too much competition for the other attacking positions. I'm sure he could do a decent job nominally as 'WB' against weaker/more defensive teams, but he would be basically playing as a winger, with the RCB (probably Azpi, or even James) playing a quasi-fullback role.

Just can't see where he's going to get any playing time this season. He's got so many players ahead of him and Tuchel playing him as a wing back seems to have stopped as well. 

His best position is playing on the left and cutting inside but because of the wingback system that role doesn't exist for him. Wherever he plays for Tuchel he looks like a square peg on a round hole at the moment. 

It's a shame because he's clearly very talented. Feels like we might have to choose whether to keep him or Pulisic at some point because of their similarities. 

27 minutes ago, charierre said:

Why should a young kid have easily beaten an experienced professional who is still playing at the top of his game to his position? The disrespect Azpi gets by this comment is astounding. I agree CHO could have done with a loan but the boss deemed him to be a vital squad member, that is good enough for me.

So the fact that azpi is a top professional mean that he can outplay cho in any position? 

So Skillset, attributes are irrelevant? 

Azpi has been one of our most consistent player but he is a defensive rb. It is clear what he is good at and what he is bad at. If you play him over cho as LW,azpi himself will think that your are crazy. 

Tuchel won't expect CHO to be good defensively as rwb but offensively he should be the best and he wasn't. I can't remember against whom in preseason but we looked better offensively when azpi came on to replace cho, this simply cannot happen. 

7 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

So the fact that azpi is a top professional mean that he can outplay cho in any position? 

So Skillset, attributes are irrelevant? 

Azpi has been one of our most consistent player but he is a defensive rb. It is clear what he is good at and what he is bad at. If you play him over cho as LW,azpi himself will think that your are crazy. 

Tuchel won't expect CHO to be good defensively as rwb but offensively he should be the best and he wasn't. I can't remember against whom in preseason but we looked better offensively when azpi came on to replace cho, this simply cannot happen. 

CHO is 20 a full career in front of him, he has great potential but is very much still learning the game. He isn't yet at the level of an outstanding pro like Azpi.  Judge him better when he is 23/24.

55 minutes ago, ducavis said:

How is that possible though? Someone has posted the amount of mins he has played since Tuchel took over, sample size is way too small to make an impact. I would argue it’s easier for a FB to transform into a WB, than it’s for a winger. 

Come the end of the season we would have wasted 3yrs of development, because we don’t know how to develop him. We will need to sell him at the end of the season for peanuts as I don’t see a scenario where he signs an extension. Won’t be surprised if Bayern uses a smaller Bundesliga team to buy him at under £15m and sell him back to them after a season like they did with Gnabry.

If azpi is an attacking fb, I completely agree but azpi is a defensive fb. 

With James and azpi out, I honestly expect cho to absolutely kill it in our pre seasons game as wb but he didn't. 

I believe Tuchel said he is better as lw, I mean that is not a secret. We all know that cho is at his best as lw but he has like 4 player in front of him competing for that position. 

14 minutes ago, charierre said:

CHO is 20 a full career in front of him, he has great potential but is very much still learning the game. He isn't yet at the level of an outstanding pro like Azpi.  Judge him better when he is 23/24.

Agree but that is just an excuse.

I rate CHO very highly, for me playing CHO as wb is a waste of talent. CHO is a multidimensional winger who can almost do everything but the fact that he is not trusted by 3 different managers is a big concern. 

This is Tuchel's first full season here and he is well known to rotate a lot and come up with different line ups during the season. It is going to be a long campaign and we also have a Club WC to play as well, I am sure CHO is going to play a part, too, maybe not a big one, but I can see Tuchel have him as an attacking asset at wing back against the likes of Norwich, Watford, Brentford, Burnley, Malmo, teams that will probably defend for most of the time, plus the Carabao/FA Cup fixtures.

I don't see why he would be "wasted" as a wingback? The way we set up our attacks the wingbacks are both incredibly involved and not just because they run up and down the pitch. With the talent Callum got I don't see why he couldn't do what Hakimi does for example. What's stopping him? Certainly not his talent as a footballer I'd say.

25 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

Agree but that is just an excuse.

I rate CHO very highly, for me playing CHO as wb is a waste of talent. CHO is a multidimensional winger who can almost do everything but the fact that he is not trusted by 3 different managers is a big concern. 

At some point you will accept that he is a mere kid still. Give him time to improve. He should have had a loan at 18 but he was badly advised. Very few young kids make it regularly into a top team at his age. There is an article that was on the club website by Neil Bath who explains the development of young players, if you get a chance give it a read, it is worth the effort.

7 minutes ago, charierre said:

At some point you will accept that he is a mere kid still. Give him time to improve. He should have had a loan at 18 but he was badly advised. Very few young kids make it regularly into a top team at his age. There is an article that was on the club website by Neil Bath who explains the development of young players, if you get a chance give it a read, it is worth the effort.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2017/07/04/the-young-generation

Realistically, to break into a first team like ours you need to have played 150 to 200 games at senior level. Even someone like Eden Hazard had done that in France before coming to Chelsea so the reality is our young players will need to experience the same, which is almost three full seasons out on loan. If a player goes out at 18 or 19 years old, that means they will be 22 years old before being able to really compete for a regular place

Stories doing the rounds on Twitter (so take this with a grain of salt), that he's unhappy with the way he's being treated, and will push for a move in the next Window.  It does seem strange that we made a big deal to keep him, and yet under a few managers now he's only got a few limited chances, and not even in his best position.

Starting to wonder if the club are kicking themselves for not taking Bayern's offer a couple windows back

I actually don't think that he is anywhere near as good as he was prior to injury. That blistering pace seems to have gone a bit which has undermined his game. He can now be a bit predictable and has often been underwhelming. Dont get me wrong he is a decent player still but doesn't seem to have the extra bit of unpredictability and something special.

33 minutes ago, Zeta said:

I've seen nothing from any of his appearances over the last 12-18 months to warrant being in the 1st team. 

Really should have gone on loan. That huge contract of his is making him a very wealthy man but is a stone around the neck of his career imo.

On 01/09/2021 at 15:34, weetee said:

I don't see why he would be "wasted" as a wingback? The way we set up our attacks the wingbacks are both incredibly involved and not just because they run up and down the pitch. With the talent Callum got I don't see why he couldn't do what Hakimi does for example. What's stopping him? Certainly not his talent as a footballer I'd say.

I've said it previously and I'll say it again. CHO has extremely poor shooting technique (and not the greatest passing range/technique). And that's the one thing that will never allow him to reach the heights of other wingers or wing backs like Hakimi.

11 hours ago, ashwin said:

I've said it previously and I'll say it again. CHO has extremely poor shooting technique (and not the greatest passing range/technique). And that's the one thing that will never allow him to reach the heights of other wingers or wing backs like Hakimi.

His passing range is one of his better qualities. He is very good as switching the ball to the other flanks and picking out a pass. It is just his consistency that needs to improve but it is difficult when you don't get a run in the team. He really needed football this season and would not be surprised to see him go on loan in January if we continue with the wing back formation as I don't see where his minutes will come from. Personally I would like to see him start at RWB against Villa. A game where we will be on offensive prowl, would like to see confidence given to him, the fact that now Tuchel has said he wants him here.

On 01/09/2021 at 17:05, ForeverCarefree said:

Just can't see where he's going to get any playing time this season. He's got so many players ahead of him and Tuchel playing him as a wing back seems to have stopped as well. 

His best position is playing on the left and cutting inside but because of the wingback system that role doesn't exist for him. Wherever he plays for Tuchel he looks like a square peg on a round hole at the moment. 

It's a shame because he's clearly very talented. Feels like we might have to choose whether to keep him or Pulisic at some point because of their similarities. 

Aye, he's our 5th choice inside forward and our 3rd right wingback. He's a talented kid but he might have huge obstacles in front of him at this point in his career. 

He'd do well to secure a loan in January with us being able to recall him whenever

On 01/09/2021 at 06:27, charierre said:

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2017/07/04/the-young-generation

Realistically, to break into a first team like ours you need to have played 150 to 200 games at senior level. Even someone like Eden Hazard had done that in France before coming to Chelsea so the reality is our young players will need to experience the same, which is almost three full seasons out on loan. If a player goes out at 18 or 19 years old, that means they will be 22 years old before being able to really compete for a regular place

The arrogance is breathtakingly absurd!

There are players that have played 300 times at senior level & couldn't out play some of the younger talents we have.

Wow.

I wonder if Tuchel will give him a run at the RWB position now that James is suspended for 3 domestic matches. If they really refused to let him leave on loan, there must be a plan in place to give him more playing time. Hope he grabs the opportunity if/when it comes. 

9 hours ago, Evenflow20 said:

The arrogance is breathtakingly absurd!

There are players that have played 300 times at senior level & couldn't out play some of the younger talents we have.

Wow.

Of course. But I think there is honing your craft and building that understanding of playing against men and rounding out your game. Mount and James are the best examples of that approach. 

I feel for CHO because he probably lost his x factor pace with the injury and that has exposed the other elements of his game that weren't as developed. Notably his shooting and work off the ball. I wonder whether RLC wasn't the only one cruelled by injury in that Sarri season.

In any case, he is one of these players left in limbo now with Frank and Jody gone and the wing back system in place. For mine I think a loan to a Dortmund would have been perfect for him. He's got talent but needs to get runs on the board to truly be a chance of being a 10 year Chelsea player. He might not ever get a chance under Tuchel and the new system but chances are Tuchel will be gone in 2 seasons and he needs to position himself to be a winger when a new manager and system come in. 

Has he lost pace? And how would that happen?

for me his shooting has been the biggest dissapointment, maybe stemming from not enough game time. When I see those two goals that Conor Gallagher scored they result from from a cool head. Nearly all our academy grads that have made the first team have had successful loan seasons. 

56 minutes ago, ozboy said:

Has he lost pace? And how would that happen?

for me his shooting has been the biggest dissapointment, maybe stemming from not enough game time. When I see those two goals that Conor Gallagher scored they result from from a cool head. Nearly all our academy grads that have made the first team have had successful loan seasons. 

I feel like he lost that yard as a result of the achilles tear. When he first emerged he had that lightning ability to generate separation from a defender. Not sure I have seen him do that as much since his injury. 

I agree re: loans and think he probably has been hindered a bit by not having one. He has sat on the bench for the period when he might have been on loan. That has definitely stunted his growth in areas as you mention. 

Expectations have hurt him too in my view. 

19 hours ago, TheSage said:

I wonder if Tuchel will give him a run at the RWB position now that James is suspended for 3 domestic matches. If they really refused to let him leave on loan, there must be a plan in place to give him more playing time. Hope he grabs the opportunity if/when it comes. 

Only 1 game. It wasn't violent conduct so James will be back against Spurs.