enigma

Callum Hudson-Odoi

11 minutes ago, enigma said:

Thing is, what happens when Hudson-Odoi goes through a bad patch at Bayern? Bayern Munich will just replace him because ultimately, they are BAYERN MUNICH, arguably the third biggest club in football. I just think it's not the wisest decision for CHO. Sarri has been here four months and needs to win, so it's not easy to give Callum so much game time. Even when given game time, he hasn't looked like an 18 year old Ronaldo or Messi, he's just looked above average.

I am bias towards him and even I admit that he's not been outstanding in games he's played. He's looked not much better than Musonda did in his bit part appearances tbh, but this is against low level opposition in cup games. At 18 it's a huge leap for Callum and personally I think it's too big of a leap, too early. He should stay at Chelsea and give it until the end of the season at least or if he desperately wants to leave, go on loan. Sarri has already stated his admiration for both him and Ampadu, so he needs patience. 

Agree with pretty much All of that. Like you, I am biased as I rate CHO very highly, but that is what I have seen at youth level (club & country) and pre-season matches when he was arguably our best player. The lad has bags of everything but he was disappointing in the recent game he came on as sub and was then subbed. You want a player in his posistion to come on and just do his stuff but he looked nervous and chose the simple options so really didn't catch the eye. But not surprising with the pressure and not wanting to royally f**k up and give the ball away and cost his side points.

But the bit I high-lighted is what forever frustrates me. YES, All Chelsea managers are expected to achieve and the pressure is always there, hence continuous managers constant lack of playing youth. But when the players they are selecting, KEEP failing to one extent or another (Morata, Giroud, Willian, Barkley, Jorginho. Alonso) ALL have had bad games but get chance after chance, THAT is when I feel alternatives deserve their opportunity and the coach is right to be questioned. How can anyone be happy with that? "Yeah it's fair enough he's left CHO out again today as we had a decent 0-0 with Southampton last time out following on from the scintillating performances against Palace, Watford & Leicester"!!!

I don't know very much about this guy, except that he looked fantastic in pre season. 

Wasn't he taken off a few games ago because of an injury? If he's fit I'd put him in the starting 11 as soon as possible. Our attack looks incredibly stale lately and we struggle to create anything. 
I just don't see how our attacking play could become much worse at the moment, might as well give it a shot. 

Well it sounds like he is starting tomorrow from what Zola said in the presser. As much potential as he has, he hasn't really had a break out game yet, he's made a few poor decisions, and he has run down a few blind alleys. I'm sure a lot of it is down to inexperience, nerves, and at times an over eagerness to impress. 

He needs a big game tomorrow, because the football world will no doubt be watching, and if he can produce, I think the pressure to play him will increase tenfold. 

Really hoping he lights it up, and forces Sarri's hand a bit. The attack looks stale, we have injuries pilling up, and if hazard continues down the middle, there is going to be more opportunities for him.

People keep referring to the fact we have yet to produce/develop a top talent in the academy.

But it was never going to happen overnight, and now at over a decade in, we start to produce players of 18yo with virtually no first team experience, and were getting HUGE bids for them all of a sudden.

Don't walk away from the Cherry tree when the blossom falls.

30 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

Yep, definitely shut it down and miss out on the revenue it brings us. lol.

Like you say, If we sell him for 40M, the academy just paid for itself for the next decade. The academy is absolutely doing it's intended purpose. 

Edited by Skinnedy

16 minutes ago, Skinnedy said:

Like you say, If we sell him for 40M, the academy just paid for itself for the next decade. The academy is absolutely doing it's intended purpose. 

Two ways to look at that.

Yes, £40M for an 18 year old is great and helps to fund the academy etc. IF CHO turns out to be just another good but not great player then we're quids in. The Academy has done a decent job in producing a good number of fair players who are now mostly plying their trade and making a decent living in the lower leagues. But IF CHO turns out to be exceptional, as many of us think he could well be, then selling him at now would be a big mistake (as United selling Pogba proved to be), so I just hope we stick with the lad and tell any interested buyers he is NOT FOR SALE.

Edited by Nibs

1 hour ago, big blue said:

Well it sounds like he is starting tomorrow from what Zola said in the presser. As much potential as he has, he hasn't really had a break out game yet, he's made a few poor decisions, and he has run down a few blind alleys. I'm sure a lot of it is down to inexperience, nerves, and at times an over eagerness to impress. 

He needs a big game tomorrow, because the football world will no doubt be watching, and if he can produce, I think the pressure to play him will increase tenfold. 

Really hoping he lights it up, and forces Sarri's hand a bit. The attack looks stale, we have injuries pilling up, and if hazard continues down the middle, there is going to be more opportunities for him.

I agree he needs a big game, though I hope we don't judge him on tomorrow alone. When reading a lot of autobiographies of ex players they often tell of the manager throwing them the shirt and told its theirs for the next six games go out and prove your good enough to wear it. We have been stale in attack especially from the wide areas, we have injuries now is the time to give the lad his chance over a sustained period.

5 minutes ago, charierre said:

I agree he needs a big game, though I hope we don't judge him on tomorrow alone. When reading a lot of autobiographies of ex players they often tell of the manager throwing them the shirt and told its theirs for the next six games go out and prove your good enough to wear it. We have been stale in attack especially from the wide areas, we have injuries now is the time to give the lad his chance over a sustained period.

That there is key for me; a run of games. You can’t throw in on for 15mins or the odd game and say he has been average. Needs consistent game time, and we have players who have been average for 15+ games and keeping getting starts.

Even when he does get game time, it's usually playing with the 2nd XI, needs to have a chance of a run of games with the first team, from now till April at least.

33 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Two ways to look at that

I probably should have out a line break before my last line. 

When I say the academy is absolutely doing it's intended purpose, I mean developing assets. If I launched an academy and said, here's a 20M budget and you either saved me 20M in transfer fees or brought me 20M in transfer fees, you've done your job. 

If we lose a player we want, that's no fault of the academy. The academy's job is to develop. So again, the Academy is absolutely fulfilling its intended purpose, so shutting it down for Chelsea losing a player is silly. 

It's not the academy's job to integrate players into the first team.

If Hudson Odoi is sold, that's not on the academy... the blame for that one is higher up the chain. 

58 minutes ago, Skinnedy said:

It's £40m now? I can't keep up! By the end of the day it'll be £100m. 

6 minutes ago, Remodez said:

It's £40m now? I can't keep up! By the end of the day it'll be £100m. 

I think it's gone like this

Bayern Offers 10, Chelsea says 15

Bayern offers 15, Chelsea says 20

Bayern offers 25, Chelsea says 40

Bayern offers 30, Chelsea says 40

Basically what I've seen so far is this...

Bayern offers, Chelsea says "not for sale"

(BTW. My initial point holds true at the reported 30M that Bayern offered... that the academy is doing its job)

I'm starting to think he may stay after all, at least until the summer then he'll wait to see what Hazard plans to do. If Hazard stays CHO will go or vice versa. I'd prefer both to stay but if either leave I don't think we'll be up sh*t creek if we sign Lozano.

2 hours ago, DannyLB said:

Yep, definitely shut it down and miss out on the revenue it brings us. lol.

If the new rules come to play then we are f**ked either way........that in itself will insure we lose revenue. I was specifically talking about we have a decent talent but refuse to play him. BM have guaranteed he wil play right way if im not mistaken.........yet we somehow dont.

Edited by atomis

2 hours ago, Skinnedy said:

Yeah till he turns out to be a class player........if we had class wingers who were doing the bits then yeah maybe......40M wouldnt be bad. But we dont.......we have the oldest wingers in the League.

Edited by atomis

2 minutes ago, atomis said:

If the new rules come to play then we are f**ked either way........that in itself will insure we lose revenue. I was specifically talking about we have a decent talent but refuse to play him. BM have guaranteed he wil play right way if im not mistaken.........yet we somehow dont.

The new rules don't restrict the amount of u21 players on loan. So it wouldn't really change much on that front. It's the likes of Kenedy, Kalas, Piazon, Hector, Batshuayi, etc that we would have to move on, which is better for us, as it should stop us keeping so much dead wood out on loan.

Just now, atomis said:

Yeah till he turns out to be a class player........if we had class wingers WHO were doing the bits then yeah maybe......40M wouldnt be bad. But we dont.......we have the oldest wingers in the League.

Can't do much if he wont sign the contract we have on the table.

Should he have played more? yes IMO he should have but we cant turn back the clock now.

It's either take the money or wait for him to sign a pre contract in a year or two (when his deal is coming to an end) and then I doubt we would play a guy looking to leave.

It's a frustrating time for both player and fan because we can see his talent, he knows his talent and also knows Bayern would give him more games than us currently.

Zola seems to be trying to let the kid know his time will come if he works hard but maybe his mind is already made up.

Just now, big blue said:

The new rules don't restrict the amount of u21 players on loan. So it wouldn't really change much on that front. It's the likes of Kenedy, Kalas, Piazon, Hector, Batshuayi, etc that we would have to move on, which is better for us, as it should stop us keeping so much dead wood out on loan.

I misunderstood it then......yeah too many dead Wood on loan, way too many.

5 minutes ago, atomis said:

Yeah till he turns out to be a class player.

again, that's the academy's job... Can't shut down the academy for producing class players.

Other heads should roll if we can't keep a home grown class player from leaving.

1 minute ago, Chelsbear said:

Can't do much if he wont sign the contract we have on the table.

Should he have played more? yes IMO he should have but we cant turn back the clock now.

It's either take the money or wait for him to sign a pre contract in a year or two (when his deal is coming to an end) and then I doubt we would play a guy looking to leave.

It's a frustrating time for both player and fan because we can see his talent, he knows his talent and also knows Bayern would give him more games than us currently.

Zola seems to be trying to let the kid know his time will come if he works hard but maybe his mind is already made up.

Yeah......but its on us if he iaint playing, no reason why he hasnt played this season, or very Little that he has. If not now then when would he get the chance? Overall we could and should have done better.