Jump to content

Callum Hudson-Odoi


Recommended Posts


21 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

BILD is reporting that we have ruled out a January transfer

Great news if true. At least see if we can convince him to stay by giving him a decent amount of playing time the second half of the season.. If he still wants to leave in the summer we won't be short of offer and we will have more time to find a replacement,

Link to post
Share on other sites

I said awhile back hes got a great opportunity to make it at Chelsea.

Himself and the 3 senior wingers have all got 18 months on their contracts left, Hazard could be gone in the summer and Pedro and Willian will be 32 and 31.

If Odoi wants to make it Chelsea, he will get his opportunity sooner rather than later but its entirely up to him, theres never been a better time as a young Chelsea winger to get into the side long term, Kakuta and Musonda both looked great back in their day at 18/19 but their path was blocked by  multiple players on top of their game or inflated squads, Odoi doesnt have any of that, his 2 main competitors are into their 30s and have 18 months left at the club.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good.  I get why the lad wants to leave.  We had the picture perfect situation to start giving CHO minutes this season (poor form, desperately needing some of the tools he has in his kit even if the ability to use those tools are still raw, tons of fixtures with a small squad and again the form of some of the constant starters etc etc) and he didn't get much it seems until the BM rumours sprang.

Given that and add it to our history in this department, I can imagine he sees the minutes he is getting the last few weeks being tied to the threat of him leaving.  Promises from CFC to give him time is probably a lot like the 12 year old kid being told by the never there father "I promise, this year I will be home for your birthday" despite breaking that exact promise every year.  They simply don't believe it, and why should they?  If any of us could put down a huge chunk of money on CHO getting good minutes for the rest of the season, who would take that punt?  The only reason I might is because of the BM issue.

As Ive said before and many have too, keep him until summer.  Give him enough rope to make or break himself.  If he still wants to leave, then sell.  Helping to develop CHO into a top talent who stays with Chelsea shouldn't be the top priority of the season, but it should be one of them.  To me this goes beyond just CHO but really to the future of our youth.... or rather if any youth can have a future here.

Because CHO might not be the next Messi, he might not even become the next Malouda......but if he's the type of player our team desperately needs at the minute and still can't get a decent run of opportunities to break into the first team while huge European powerhouses are willing to spend big money on them, then what youth ever will get that chance?  The youth that magically proves they're world class before breaking into the first team?  Don't hold your breath.... I know no youth with the talent and self belief it takes to become top class will hold their breath either. Not anymore.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Delnino said:

I said awhile back hes got a great opportunity to make it at Chelsea.

Himself and the 3 senior wingers have all got 18 months on their contracts left, Hazard could be gone in the summer and Pedro and Willian will be 32 and 31.

If Odoi wants to make it Chelsea, he will get his opportunity sooner rather than later but its entirely up to him, theres never been a better time as a young Chelsea winger to get into the side long term, Kakuta and Musonda both looked great back in their day at 18/19 but their path was blocked by  multiple players on top of their game or inflated squads, Odoi doesnt have any of that, his 2 main competitors are into their 30s and have 18 months left at the club.

You forget we just splunked 60million on another winger and who knows who else will be bought now or in the summer.  If there isn't enough obstacles in the path of youth trying to make it into the first team then never forget we are the club who will buy them to put them there.  History has shown this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Barry Bridges said:

You forget we just splunked 60million on another winger and who knows who else will be bought now or in the summer.  If there isn't enough obstacles in the path of youth trying to make it into the first team then never forget we are the club who will buy them to put them there.  History has shown this.

I think Pulisic being signed early was a back stop  to (a) stop the FIFA ban having a huge effect and (b) if Hazard leaves, we'll already have a replacement.

Pulisic wont be in competition with Odoi and together, if Odoi stays, they can carry the side forward for 5-7 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Delnino said:

I think Pulisic being signed early was a back stop  to (a) stop the FIFA ban having a huge effect and (b) if Hazard leaves, we'll already have a replacement.

Pulisic wont be in competition with Odoi and together, if Odoi stays, they can carry the side forward for 5-7 years.

Oh I don't think Pusilic was bought literally to stop CHO.....he was bought to compete for the spots that CHO is trying to compete for, and again the message was sent that when CFC needs a solution it will come from the transfer market and not the youth academy.  Of course I would love it if you're post comes true and they both can carry the side, but if I'm CHO I'm skeptical Im going to get the same chances as the imports.

 

When the board decides time to bring in the replacements for Pedro/Willian/Hazard Im pretty sure the mentality will be as it always is "we can't trust an unproven (insert age here) year old, we need to find a ready replacement" because we don't take the steps needed to make our unproven youth proven aside from 10 minute cameos here and there and the odd run in a dead European rubber group game or a lower league cup tie.  Yes, we'll have to experience some youth proven not to be good enough to come across the ones who are but that's not a risk we ever seem to engage in seriously.  By the time we are ready to lose one of those 3 or more, CHO should be proven one way or another......but that time is this summer and unless CHO starts getting a LOT more time in the BPL, I'm pretty sure the board and many will consider he won't be proven enough to take the mantle.

This isn't something I'm coming up with because of CHO situation alone, this is the choices of the past decade and more coming home to roost when it comes to youth integration into our first team at a terrible time.  

Edited by Barry Bridges
Link to post
Share on other sites

Now is the time to start trusting CHO. He needs to start premier matches, not the occasional 15-30 minute appearance. Our main attacking front line should be Hazard - Higuain - CHO with a backup of Willian - Giroud - Pedro. If that is the way it is going forward then I would be happy with that.

Prove to CHO that we will play him, and he will get substantial minutes and show that we trust him. The kid has earned the ability to, at the very least, split starting duties with pedro/willian and play opposite Hazard

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still hard to see how he's going to get game time.

Hazard and Higuain (barring a Torres-like disaster situation) are going to start every game, which leaves just one remaining place for Willian/Pedro/Hudson-Odoi to scrap over.

Hudson-Odoi is obviously the most talented out of the three but also the worst on current ability and we have no margin for experimentation when it comes to getting back into the Champions League for next season.

 

Therefore - and I'll merrily eat my words if I'm wrong and he ends up signing a new contract - in practical terms we've just signed away £30m for an extra few sub appearances from an 18 year old.

Edited by Fatty_Speeding
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fatty_Speeding said:

Still hard to see how he's going to get game time.

Hazard and Higuain (barring a Torres-like disaster situation) are going to start every game, which leaves just one remaining place for Willian/Pedro/Hudson-Odoi to scrap over.

Hudson-Odoi is obviously the most talented out of the three but also the worst on current ability and we have no margin for experimentation when it comes to getting back into the Champions League for next season.

 

Therefore - and I'll merrily eat my words if I'm wrong and he ends up signing a new contract - in practical terms we've just signed away £30m for an extra few sub appearances from an 18 year old.

30m? He will still be worth 20-25m in the summer. 

Hazard and higuain won't start every cup game, remember we are still in all of them. Imagine if Pedro or willian get a long term injury, it's too high a risk. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, bisright1 said:

30m? He will still be worth 20-25m in the summer. 

Hazard and higuain won't start every cup game, remember we are still in all of them. Imagine if Pedro or willian get a long term injury, it's too high a risk. 

Values drop absurdly when players enter the last year of their contract. Sancho went for £8m and it's hard to argue Hudson-Odoi is definitely better than him. Courtois' value dropped from about £80m (there was even talk it was as high as £100m at one point) to £30m.

Hudson-Odoi is already playing cup games and he isn't satisfied, and it's hard to see how he's more likely to get starting roles as the cup games get more important. Also wouldn't Loftus-Cheek have been a capable stand in if the others got injured - he played a floating wing role for Crystal Palace last season and for England at the World Cup?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fatty_Speeding said:

Values drop absurdly when players enter the last year of their contract. Sancho went for £8m and it's hard to argue Hudson-Odoi is definitely better than him. Courtois' value dropped from about £80m (there was even talk it was as high as £100m at one point) to £30m.

Hudson-Odoi is already playing cup games and he isn't satisfied, and it's hard to see how he's more likely to get starting roles as the cup games get more important. Also wouldn't Loftus-Cheek have been a capable stand in if the others got injured - he played a floating wing role for Crystal Palace last season and for England at the World Cup?

I’m pretty sure RLC will be played in midfield not the wing, and really all it takes is CHO to have a fantastic performance in the league and he’ll make the spot his own.

With us still in all competitions, there will be a lot of rotation and CHO will see a healthy amount of minutes. Really it’s all down to CHO to take the chance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

I’m pretty sure RLC will be played in midfield not the wing, and really all it takes is CHO to have a fantastic performance in the league and he’ll make the spot his own.

With us still in all competitions, there will be a lot of rotation and CHO will see a healthy amount of minutes. Really it’s all down to CHO to take the chance.

In theory, but is he really so good on present ability alone that he takes Willian/Pedro's place before the end of the season?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fatty_Speeding said:

In theory, but is he really so good on present ability alone that he takes Willian/Pedro's place before the end of the season?

He does not have to be so good. Pedro's legs have gone, he cannot manage multiple games imo, Willian is far more miss than hit. I dare say CHO cannot take a worse corner than Willian or be less consistant.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on the fence about CHO, but before I progress any further I should state that my ideal scenario is we keep him through the end of the season with legitimate game time in all competitions.  I very much doubt Sarri plays him in a Cup Final against City, but that would be a huge statement if he did.  I also think some of the games in the Premiership are a must, but I'm also realistic that I don't expect him to be starting against the likes of the Manchester Clubs, nor any of the top 6 in reality (but that does not mean he shouldn't feature).

As for the transfer request, it is a little bit of a slap in the face, but I also think it was a bargaining tool.  If we've really put an offer on the table of 85K a week for an 18yo, that's a pretty serious statement that the club sees him as a talent, and one able to make the first team.  I'm not sure what RLC is on, but I don't think it's this much. I can fully understand CHO's frustration at seeing our feckless/tepid attack and asking himself "why aren't they at least trying me, why are they persisting with a false 9, why!?!?"

Now, as for CHO, if he stays he needs to show why the club should continue to invest in him. I've watched him for a while, coming through the ranks, and always been a standout player, but so was Kakuta, Solanke, and a whole list of other before that.  Callum really needs to focus on becoming what we all hope he can be.  And, at this point (and yes I know he came back to bite me on the arse with this comment in the FA Cup game) he is nothing more that a hope for us.  I don't think I've seen enough to suggest he has the maturity and consistency to deliver week in week out.  Now, I know Pedro and Willian fall in that same category, but there is a feeling of familiarity with them that any coach would tend toward over an unknown 18yo that just happens to be a fan favourite.

I hope we keep him, and if we do, I hope we play him.  If we keep him and then continue to persist with the same old, then I'd have not issue whatsoever with him leaving in the summer.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fatty_Speeding said:

In theory, but is he really so good on present ability alone that he takes Willian/Pedro's place before the end of the season?

Yes.  Based on the form of the players you've mentioned, and the ability CHO has (we all saw the amazing technique and talent he has when he took that goal despite not really playing that well that game, yet still being one of our biggest and most direct attacking threats) there is no reason to suggest that it's beyond possibility he can make that spot his by the end of the season if he gets regular minutes in the BPL.

Is it guaranteed?  Of course not, neither is Pusilic who cost us 60million and got to stay on loan with his home club.... but the fact is we are talking about an incredibly talented (& seemingly motivated) 18 year old usurping a starting spot that neither Willian or Pedro have been good enough to make their own. An 18 year old good enough that Bayern want to spend 40million on despite not even starting a BPL game yet, and the other are two over 30 year olds whose inconsistent form (and drive) and been on display for all to see for a few seasons now.... and clearly the staff at CFC feel the same or he'd be gone by now.

It's a gamble, but you don't fold when your cards are this good.  We have CHO on the books and we need a player like he can become. We can either give him a good run of games to see if he can become a world beater, or we can spend another 60million on a gamble, or over 100million to get a proven young talent the type CHO might just prove to be........  personally, the free option is probably the best gamble to take even if the opportunity cost is 30million, because if we are to replace CHO's potential in the market after selling him to BM you're having a laugh if you think you're going to get it for the same rate CHO left for.  You'll likely spend double for another gamble.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fatty_Speeding said:

Still hard to see how he's going to get game time.

Hazard and Higuain (barring a Torres-like disaster situation) are going to start every game, which leaves just one remaining place for Willian/Pedro/Hudson-Odoi to scrap over.

Hudson-Odoi is obviously the most talented out of the three but also the worst on current ability and we have no margin for experimentation when it comes to getting back into the Champions League for next season.

Therefore - and I'll merrily eat my words if I'm wrong and he ends up signing a new contract - in practical terms we've just signed away £30m for an extra few sub appearances from an 18 year old.

We have loads of games to come, still in everything, thick end of the season incoming.

Looking at your avatar you have eaten plenty of words in the past.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!