dkw

Welcome Ross Barkley

4 hours ago, Davey Baby said:

If you watch the video above of yesterday's game, you'll see in the first-half he has his back to play often when he receives the ball, and it's not what we want. He's not Zola. It looks like he performed very well but we have to start to use him properly. If we're going to play 433 under Sarri, then he has to be the third midfielder along with Kante and Jorginho. That's where we want him, in that midfield 3, competing with Loftus-Cheek for a place.

I agree with you, that he should be used as a midfielder and not as an attacker, but you chose a pretty bad example, because in the second half he actually played as a LW in place of CHO.

If Sarri turns Barkley into a vital player for us, then it is a pure fluke on Chelsea’s board side. 

Buying Barkley and Drinkwater was utterly pointless, not even 15 games between them two last season!

Fingers crossed Loftus Cheek or Barkley will step up and complete our midfield next season, as it’s starting to look like we won’t buy another midfielder.

I really don't rate Barkley. 

He's decent, but I dont think he has the footballing intelligence to forfill his early potential. I still think it was a good signing though, low risk, high reward, even if it is just to sell him on in a couple of seasons.

I think RLC has the bigger chance of reaching the top, but he also has some issues in his game that are holding him back, but he is very inexperienced, so maybe they will be ironed out in time. 

I'm not filled with confidence for our current options in that 3rd more attacking position in centre midfield, but hopefully sarri can work with Barkley and RLC, and one of them really kick on. 

13 hours ago, big blue said:

I really don't rate Barkley. 

He's decent, but I dont think he has the footballing intelligence to forfill his early potential. I still think it was a good signing though, low risk, high reward, even if it is just to sell him on in a couple of seasons.

I think RLC has the bigger chance of reaching the top, but he also has some issues in his game that are holding him back, but he is very inexperienced, so maybe they will be ironed out in time. 

We lack goals from midfield and have done for a couple of seasons now, we're too reliant on Hazard and our centre forward getting goals because no one else chips in with anywhere enough. 

What Barkley has over RLC is an aggressiveness in front of goals and a desire to score. You saw in the Perth Glory friendly that he's trying to get into good positions to score goals. RLC often gets involved in the build ups but doesn't have as much assertiveness in and around goal and that's what I think is going to see Barkley picked ahead of him. 

I like RLC, I think he's got a lot of talent but whenever I watch him everything about his game just feels so safe.  

10 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

We lack goals from midfield and have done for a couple of seasons now, we're too reliant on Hazard and our centre forward getting goals because no one else chips in with anywhere enough. 

What Barkley has over RLC is an aggressiveness in front of goals and a desire to score. You saw in the Perth Glory friendly that he's trying to get into good positions to score goals. RLC often gets involved in the build ups but doesn't have as much assertiveness in and around goal and that's what I think is going to see Barkley picked ahead of him. 

I like RLC, I think he's got a lot of talent but whenever I watch him everything about his game just feels so safe.  

I think it sometimes just comes down to having the confidence to just f**king have a pop... how many times over the last couple of seasons have we been passing it around the oppo's box and you just think have a f**king dig. 

Just now, Bonzodog29 said:

I think it sometimes just comes down to having the confidence to just f**king have a pop... how many times over the last couple of seasons have we been passing it around the oppo's box and you just think have a f**king dig. 

With RLC you have to wonder what he's being instructed to do by his manager and coaches though. It could be they told him to play careful and safe and just try and settle in without taking risks.

1 minute ago, Bonzodog29 said:

Every game. 

It's something I've bought up on the forum in the last year. 

We've not got natural goal scorers, the player who picks the ball up 20+ yards from goal, gets his head up and thinks to himself, he'll have a crack. 

It's always about finding a pass rather then getting a shot away. If Barkely can establish himself in the first team, I think he could be a great source of goals for us. 

1 minute ago, Kentonio said:

With RLC you have to wonder what he's being instructed to do by his manager and coaches though. It could be they told him to play careful and safe and just try and settle in without taking risks.

quite possibly, that said he almost got a nice goal in the WC until Kane claimed it clipped his left testicle

Just now, ForeverCarefree said:

Every game. 

It's something I've bought up on the forum in the last year. 

We've not got natural goal scorers, the player who picks the ball up 20+ yards from goal, gets his head up and thinks to himself, he'll have a crack. 

It's always about finding a pass rather then getting a shot away. If Barkely can establish himself in the first team, I think he could be a great source of goals for us. 

I know we were spoiled with Frankie etc, in the old midfield but FFS I would rather see a shot go into the stands than an attack dribble away to nothing yet again

15 minutes ago, Kentonio said:

That's a bit radical, claiming that managers and coaches might be giving instructions to  players about how they want them to play.

Doesn't fit at all with the supporters narrative.

3 hours ago, Bonzodog29 said:

I know we were spoiled with Frankie etc, in the old midfield but FFS I would rather see a shot go into the stands than an attack dribble away to nothing yet again

No, there has to be a balance to it. Speculative shooting can be beyond infuriating, especially when chasing a game. 

1 hour ago, Argo said:

No, there has to be a balance to it. Speculative shooting can be beyond infuriating, especially when chasing a game. 

I agree with both points. Endlessly trying to walk the ball into the net get's very frustrating, but at the same time i wouldn't want one of our players to go all Stevie Me and blast 10 shots over the bar.

18 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I agree with both points. Endlessly trying to walk the ball into the net get's very frustrating, but at the same time i wouldn't want one of our players to go all Stevie Me and blast 10 shots over the bar.

this is of course what I meant, Not everytime you get within 30 yrds but over the past couple of years we have missed shooting opportunities in order to get the next pass. Someone with the nouse to know when to just let fly (like Lamps would) 

On 25/07/2018 at 23:10, dansubrosa said:

If Sarri turns Barkley into a vital player for us, then it is a pure fluke on Chelsea’s board side. 

Buying Barkley and Drinkwater was utterly pointless, not even 15 games between them two last season!

Fingers crossed Loftus Cheek or Barkley will step up and complete our midfield next season, as it’s starting to look like we won’t buy another midfielder.

SAF once talked about signings and he maintained that every transfer was a  major gamble and something like  only one in three make it to the level expected.

Drinkwater was bought in as much as anything down to his home grown status he had quite an impressive CV but due to injury, lack of pace and of course lack of opportunity his career at SB has  never kicked off

Berkley clearly was a long term target had he passed his medical he would have been signed for £35 million but injury not only hampered his pre season 2017/18 it in effect wiped out the season. You could see whe he cam on against Arsenal in the CC he was far from fit not just physically but I suspect mentally. Berkley is still very young and if he can get over the issues that plagued him off the field in Liverpool and gets himself in shape then I can’t but help feel this is a very good signing.

As for buying a midfielder I am not sure you are right but before we get to that I suspect we will have to shift a couple out and for me they are Drinkwater and RLC.

A lot of goals from the outside. I'm also desperate to see something like this. We used to have Frankie, Ballack, Essien, Drogba to make goals from distance and then for like 6-7 years from then - nothing. Matic - 2-3 goals. Kante - 1 goal. Cesc - don't remember any. Bakayoko - no comment.

Hope Barkley gives it back. Antonio did it with the long distant passes, we had been lacking them for years and it worked very well for the first year at least(not from Courtois to the forward, from diagonal to diagonal behind the backs I mean). I believe shooting from long distance could have the same effect of surprise.

It also makes dribbling easier when they have to think about 2 potential continuations of the attack.

Edited by Giordano_Bruno

If he could keep fit for the season, I reckon he will have a big part to play. We need a midfielder who's willing to take some risks with passing/running, have a shot from outside the box, and not afraid to stuck in when needed. He was completely ignored under Conte, where we were crying out for a different option in the midfield.

He was a gamble, given his injury, but the price wasn't bad, and he seems to have worked on his fitness a lot in the off season. I hope he has a great amount of success with us.