Jump to content

dkw

Welcome Ross Barkley


Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Andy North said:

This issue has grown legs.

Here's another one.

I didn't even think it was a penalty.

Of course it wasn't a penalty, its ridiculous they now get given. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, dkw said:

Of course it wasn't a penalty, its ridiculous they now get given. 

 

The ref must have buckled under pressure. The VAR TV he was looking at was right next to the crowd and he would have got serious abuse if he didn't give it. I think that particular element of the VAR system favours the home team. I don't know where we go from here with VAR.

I think the refs need support but they seem to have got it wrong at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No not a penalty in my eyes either but they seem to be given nowadays for that. We’ll have many of those given against us over the years to come so may get used to those being given.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

Didn't they change the law so any arm/hand contact is now a penalty, regardless of intent and/or effect?

Not quite, as far as I understand it, it works 2 ways. If it strikes any part of an attacking players arm/hand then should a goal be scored because of that it will be chalked off for hand ball (see man city/ tottingham) however for a penalty to be given the defending teams players arm must be in what is deemed to be an unnatural position and outside of what would be considered a normal bodyshape, i.e if while running the ball hit your hand but it was in the normal "armpump" you have while running then it shouldn't be a pen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bonzodog29 said:

Not quite, as far as I understand it, it works 2 ways. If it strikes any part of an attacking players arm/hand then should a goal be scored because of that it will be chalked off for hand ball (see man city/ tottingham) however for a penalty to be given the defending teams players arm must be in what is deemed to be an unnatural position and outside of what would be considered a normal bodyshape, i.e if while running the ball hit your hand but it was in the normal "armpump" you have while running then it shouldn't be a pen. 

 

If that's correct then it was never a pen. Even if you're wrong it was never a pen. It was never a pen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Davey Baby said:

 

If that's correct then it was never a pen. Even if you're wrong it was never a pen. It was never a pen.

I agree, I didnt think it was a pen, I was merely trying to clarify the supposed law as far as I have understood it 🙂 

That said in a similar vein it cold be that my version is purely the FA's interpretation and UEFA have a different set of rules, similar to the offside variations in when the linesman should flag 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Bonzodog29 said:

I agree, I didnt think it was a pen, I was merely trying to clarify the supposed law as far as I have understood it 🙂 

That said in a similar vein it cold be that my version is purely the FA's interpretation and UEFA have a different set of rules, similar to the offside variations in when the linesman should flag 

So we've all spent two days arguing over a penalty that we didn't think was a penalty. Its nearly as bad as Brexit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it was a penalty, his hands came out as the ball was headed by one of our players, he's obstructing the play with his hand out there. The only difference is in real time they aren't given becaues they're impossible to see, now with VAR you can see them, by the rules it's certainly a penalty. 

Watch how his hand comes out as the ball is headed and you'll know what I mean, you can't have your arm out like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Slojo said:

I think it was a penalty, his hands came out as the ball was headed by one of our players, he's obstructing the play with his hand out there. The only difference is in real time they aren't given becaues they're impossible to see, now with VAR you can see them, by the rules it's certainly a penalty. 

Watch how his hand comes out as the ball is headed and you'll know what I mean, you can't have your arm out like that. 

It was a soft penalty and we would have been furious if it had been given against us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Andy North said:

It was a soft penalty and we would have been furious if it had been given against us.

This is generally the measure I use, how angry would I be if we had been on the receiving end

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Andy North said:

It was a soft penalty and we would have been furious if it had been given against us.

Enough distance between Tomori and the defender ... it's not like it's point blank and he can't get his arm out of the way ... nothing soft about it at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Enough distance between Tomori and the defender ... it's not like it's point blank and he can't get his arm out of the way ... nothing soft about it at all.

I've watched it a few times now (how sad is that?) and it was a bullet downward header from Tomori. He was max 5 yards away and the defender had his arm in a perfectly natural position. We was lucky to get the pen.

Would you have been happy to concede a decision like that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Andy North said:

I've watched it a few times now (how sad is that?) and it was a bullet downward header from Tomori. He was max 5 yards away and the defender had his arm in a perfectly natural position. We was lucky to get the pen.

Would you have been happy to concede a decision like that?

Yes - it clearly is a goal bound attempt that strikes his arm ... he has time to turn his head away, but leaves his arm sticking out ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...