Welcome Ross Barkley

dkw

3 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Not sure he will be a regular yet with more performances like that even if against lower opposition will be a big boost to the squad and he may well make the England team again.

I agree there's no need to get carried away, any other of our midfielders put in that performance and we wouldn't bat an eyelid, it would be a standard performance from them. It's good to see Ross play well though after a sh*t start to the season. However, I'm still not convinced he can play in those deeper areas, what game was it when he was subbed at halftime when he was playing next to Jorginho? Even though it was an injury he was absymal that game. I would prefer to see him compete with Mason, Ross usually does better when he's playing further up the pitch, same with RLC. 

3 hours ago, Slojo said:

I agree there's no need to get carried away, any other of our midfielders put in that performance and we wouldn't bat an eyelid, it would be a standard performance from them. It's good to see Ross play well though after a sh*t start to the season. However, I'm still not convinced he can play in those deeper areas, what game was it when he was subbed at halftime when he was playing next to Jorginho? Even though it was an injury he was absymal that game. I would prefer to see him compete with Mason, Ross usually does better when he's playing further up the pitch, same with RLC. 

Was it Newcastle? It’s great to see him put in a good performance. The lad clearly has talent, and the more players we have competing for places, the better. The season is long, players’ form ebbs and flows. Not having a “first 11” is great for various reasons, including the positive effect on team spirit (as players not selected don’t think they’re being dropped). I would also like to see Barkley tried in the Mount role, with a front 6 like this:

Kovacic Jorginho 

CHO Barkley Willian 

Abraham

1 minute ago, Dean said:

Was it Newcastle? It’s great to see him put in a good performance. The lad clearly has talent, and the more players we have competing for places, the better. The season is long, players’ form ebbs and flows. Not having a “first 11” is great for various reasons, including the positive effect on team spirit (as players not selected don’t think they’re being dropped). I would also like to see Barkley tried in the Mount role, with a front 6 like this:

Kovacic Jorginho 

CHO Barkley Willian 

Abraham

Kovacic Jorginho I guess the other way round but you get the picture 

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Kovacic Jorginho 

CHO Barkley Willian 

Abraham

I don't agree with putting Barkley is Mason's role. He was good yesterday in a more deeper role keeping things ticking over however there were two instances in the game which demonstrated in a nutshell why he has fallen behind Ruben and Mount in the pecking order for the advanced midfielder. Edge of the box he had clear shooting angles but dallied too much on both occasions and by the time he decided to shoot Burnley got bodies in the way.

Furthermore Mount is our pace setter, it's no coincidence our intensity dropped against Brighton after he was replaced, he won't be getting dropped any time soon. Ross should be considered an option in a deep lying role for lesser games but he should not be taking Mason's place.

Edited by Argo

4 hours ago, Slojo said:

I missed the first 12 mins so can't comment on that, early on I noticed Jorginho instructed him to move further up the pitch and he complied.

He received the ball in M/F a number of times and was immediately under pressure yet shrugged the player off turned and moved forward helping to get us on the front foot.

His passing was decent too.

He seemed to have a bit of time on the ball yesterday perhaps because of Rees having the beating of his man.

51 minutes ago, Argo said:

I don't agree with putting Barkley is Mason's role. He was good yesterday in a more deeper role keeping things ticking over however there were two instances in the game which demonstrated in a nutshell why he has fallen behind Ruben and Mount in the pecking order for the advanced midfielder. Edge of the box he had clear shooting angles but dallied too much on both occasions and by the time he decided to shoot Burnley got bodies in the way.

Furthermore Mount is our pace setter, it's no coincidence our intensity dropped against Brighton after he was replaced, he won't be getting dropped any time soon. Ross should be considered an option in a deep lying role for lesser games but he should not be taking Mason's place.

You may well be right. I don’t have a strong view, just thought it might work as Barkley seems to have some of the required attributes (decent technique, an eye for goal and some physical presence - an advantage over Mount there) and doesn’t he play the more advanced role for England? I don’t watch many internationals outside the big competitions. 

9 hours ago, dkw said:

One thing Barkley brings over all our mids is physicality, he's a unit and can dish it out when needed, so maybe we shouldn't have been surprised when he was picked yesterday against one of the most physical teams in the league. Horses for courses. 

This is why I like him in that midfield. I see Chelsea midfielders get bullied and with Barkley and Loftus Cheek, you know they'll hold their own at least if they're not the ones doing the bullying - plus they're both technically very good. 

Rumours that West Ham want Barkley on loans that he can link up with Moyes again.

I doubt the club will agree to a loan deal but could see them selling him for the right price. We paid £15m for him so would £25m be about right? I don’t think West Ham would pay that 

1 minute ago, JM7 said:

Rumours that West Ham want Barkley on loans that he can link up with Moyes again.

I doubt the club will agree to a loan deal but could see them selling him for the right price. We paid £15m for him so would £25m be about right? I don’t think West Ham would pay that 

Can't see him being sold mid season, especially now he's just played himself into contention for one of the deeper positions.

My personal prediction is he will stick around as a squad player until Gallagher is ready to come in, to which he will then go and find himself a club he can be a regular, if not the main man at.

As for the fee, £30m is the absolute minimum we should be getting, possibly even £40m. We're in an era where players like Solanke are going for £20m, he will be a coup for any mid table side looking to make a push for a European place.

6 hours ago, JM7 said:

6 hours ago, Argo said:

Can't see him being sold mid season, especially now he's just played himself into contention for one of the deeper positions.

My personal prediction is he will stick around as a squad player until Gallagher is ready to come in, to which he will then go and find himself a club he can be a regular, if not the main man at.

As for the fee, £30m is the absolute minimum we should be getting, possibly even £40m. We're in an era where players like Solanke are going for £20m, he will be a coup for any mid table side looking to make a push for a European place.

I was listening to The Chels podcast & they were talking how Barkley wants to remain a Chelsea player & challenge for playing time at Chelsea.

5 hours ago, rtwelch said:

Too many false dawns with Barkley. Sell when we can get the most money for me.

Yeah agree. I can’t see him making it and it’s best to get a good price whilst there’s interest. 

• 3 weeks later...

Almost lost us the game yesterday.. lost possession 4-5 times in 15 minutes..  Didnt look sharp enough  or focused... Being a sub is a mentality thing.. Being on the pitch should be a privilege and an opportunity for a player to stake claim.. simply put he was unprepared ... He has skill and ability but drive and determination have really held him back.. the fact that in a team that lacks creativity he cant shrugg of a 20 year old for a starting place as a no 10. is telling in its own way..

A strange substitution on Saturday on 83 mins and noticed a couple of times he lost possession, Leicester were marking him heavily once with two players another time with three.

Barkley for me is one of those players you play from the start and bring-off rather than bring on.

On a similar point, I notice every time Jorginho comes off the bench he seems to get an early yellow.

2 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

A strange substitution on Saturday on 83 mins and noticed a couple of times he lost possession, Leicester were marking him heavily once with two players another time with three.

Barkley for me is one of those players you play from the start and bring-off rather than bring on.

On a similar point, I notice every time Jorginho comes off the bench he seems to get an early yellow.

All players lose possession during a match, some in more dangerous positions than others. What infuriates me more with him is his lack of effort trying to regain the ball or at least get goal side of the ball. Too lazy for me, time to move him on in the summer.