dkw

Welcome Ross Barkley

1 hour ago, charierre said:

All players lose possession during a match, some in more dangerous positions than others. What infuriates me more with him is his lack of effort trying to regain the ball or at least get goal side of the ball. Too lazy for me, time to move him on in the summer.

Yes if we can get someone better. recently acquisitions have been something of a mixed bag.

Ross Da Boss was exactly that today vs spuds - inches from scoring a goal & nice setup for the Alonso goal - If people feel that it's wrong to root for Barkley, then I have no problem in being wrong - if Super Frank allows him to wear #8 then that is good enough for me

ixhXHlrc?format=jpg&name=900x900

3 hours ago, Brutos said:

Very good today

He's been very good whenever he's been given a chance recently, but he's invariably on the bench the next game. Frank needs to start picking the team on merit. If you do the business you keep your spot. Ross must start on Tuesday night. He's in very good form.

Best I've seen Ross play in a long time, have to give credit where it's due he was fantastic, it was that type of performance why he was considered a wonderkid at Everton. 

2 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Best I've seen Ross play in a long time, have to give credit where it's due he was fantastic, it was that type of performance why he was considered a wonderkid at Everton. 

Honestly I thought he was a lot better against Tottenham. I found myself massively frustrated with him most of the night and even his goal came from improvising (excellently) after failing to spot he could have put Pedro through.

Am very happy he scored though, wound that lot right up (RAWK refused to acknowledge him as a scorer).

Just now, Argo said:

Honestly I thought he was a lot better against Tottenham. I found myself massively frustrated with him most of the night and even his goal came from improvising (excellently) after failing to spot he could have put Pedro through.

Am very happy he scored though, wound that lot right up (RAWK refused to acknowledge him as a scorer).

If he scored he scored, I can't have too many complaints, I know what you mean though. But I thought in the final 3rd he was spot on, that little ball in to Willian was superb but he was offside. We're the opposites here, I actually thought he was poor against Spurs bar the assist. 

I've probably said it somewhere in this thread, but I like having Barkley in the squad. His touch isn't good enough for high pressing superb quality opponents, but he's got a directness that can pay dividends at times. I think sometimes he gets judged based on who everyone thought he should be one day. But for the £13M or so that we paid for him, I think we're getting good value. I like having him in the team against lesser opponents. He's got a directness that we miss sometimes with our more "creative" players. 

Every so often, we need a hammer, not a scalpel. 

I'm not advocating he be a nailed on starter, but I think he is a very capable squad player. 

In a post match interview Ross did state he found great joy scoring against the dirty red scousers.

4 hours ago, robdog said:

In a post match interview Ross did state he found great joy scoring against the dirty red scousers.

That was the first thing I thought when he scored: he's turning it up against the red scum :good2:

TBH I was a bit frustrated with him until he scored.

For that goal he actually showed decent speed and desire in that run, he needs to show more often rather than jogging around the pitch.

With a couple of tweaks to his decision making and effort he could be very useful for us.

Great goal though, let’s hope that gives him more confidence.

12 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

I thought it was really typical of him when he decided not to pass to Pedro, and then he goes and does that!

I was thinking exactly the same! Right behind that goal thinking ‘don’t hold on to it, pass it early for once!’. Happy to eat a bit of humble pie on that one though, sorry Ross :laugh2:

I never saw that coming though thought Barkley was due a goal since Frank played him up alongside Giroud. 

He has looked better in the role of an attacking midfielder player rather than as a holding or defensive midfield player, he seems to read the attacking movements.

Someone said he was poor in the intricate passing types of movements and I tend to agree with that and notice he overhits short passes.

I notice he often looks to shoot on the edge of the box yet unlike Mount or CHO realises he cannot beat his man and instead of having a shot charged down moves the ball on.

He has a good set piece delivery and s reasonable in the air.

Good squad player for me.

He will produce if he has enough space, the goal he scored is almost identical to how he played in Everton, strong on the break.

He has always been a powerful runner with the ball, perhaps his greatest asset. Several times this game he ran straight through the middle of the pitch unchallenged, but again it's the last minute decision making that sometimes lets him down. Great goal though, there were danger signs early on when he stung the keeper's palms.

25 minutes ago, Shweaves said:

He has always been a powerful runner with the ball, perhaps his greatest asset. Several times this game he ran straight through the middle of the pitch unchallenged, but again it's the last minute decision making that sometimes lets him down. Great goal though, there were danger signs early on when he stung the keeper's palms.

For me with the exception of Giroud and maybe Pulisic that is the case.

The others also have a little more acceleration around the pitch too.