dkw

Welcome Ross Barkley

I was thinking exactly the same! Right behind that goal thinking ‘don’t hold on to it, pass it early for once!’. Happy to eat a bit of humble pie on that one though, sorry Ross :laugh2:
You weren't the only one - I was screaming at my monitor, "goto the right", but I screamed with joy & ecstasy when the ball hit the back of the net. I missed Martin Taylor half-hearted announcement of the goal. I saw this on a replay of the goal that he wasn't too thrill. Ah fuck him, he will get over the fact that there will not be a celebration for a trebel at the end of the season for the dirty red scousers

Great goal, but I'm not convinced about him. H'es a far better footballer than his performances would indicate, falls over a lot and seems to be off the pace, but hey who cares ??!!

Ross' goal was fantastic. One of the best of the season. His pace and determination on top of that hammer of a shot is something special.

Glad he did that. Otherwise it was another game from him where he tries to impress everyone too much and he makes weird decisions. Physically and technically he is good enough but his fragile mind seems to let him down. This is how I feel anyway.

6 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

Our season record when Ross Barkley starts is now won 9 drawn 1 lost 2 ... the best record in the squad. I bet that will surprise a few people !

Like all stats though closer inspection is required, Grimsby, Forest and Hull are three of his starts. 

Just now, charierre said:

Like all stats though closer inspection is required, Grimsby, Forest and Hull are three of his starts. 

And taking those three out he would still have the second best record, with Alonso as the only player above him.

Interesting isn't it ? A player who is almost universally slagged off on here, and yet when he plays we typically win ...

After Liverpool win it is hard to slag him off for starting against only smaller sides.

He is good player to have. He gives us an option in terms of formation and skillset. Good shot, good on freekicks and an eye for a throughball.

Again if you think about it he is our depth player and he plays for England. Many teams below us would love to have an English International as a backup.

Posted (edited)

Good article on Lampard's view of Barkley on TOCWC ... https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/03/08/lampard-rates-barkley-s-season-and-explains-why-he-can-be-a--big?cardIndex=0-0

I was surprised to read that they had actually played together in the same England side, in the 2014 World Cup against Costa Rica, when Lamps was 36 and Barkley 20.

Edited by Sexyfootball

Outstanding game, he’s so good when at his best. He really need the consistency because if he was that good every week, he’d be one of the first names on the team sheet for sure.

4 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Outstanding game, he’s so good when at his best. He really need the consistency because if he was that good every week, he’d be one of the first names on the team sheet for sure.

It's really frustrating watching Barkley. If you had never seen him play before, you would think he's a world class footballer. I just don't understand why he can't keep playing at that same level. It has to be an attitude problem with him, like he cares more about some games than others. Today was a big day for him today because it was against his former club, and in the week he was playing against an old rival, he should have that same determination in every game.

On 04/03/2020 at 15:53, Sexyfootball said:

Our season record when Ross Barkley starts is now won 9 drawn 1 lost 2 ... the best record in the squad. I bet that will surprise a few people !

Make that 10 wins now Ross is Da Boss

ESmS4MaUUAETTv-?format=jpg&name=small

3 hours ago, rtwelch said:

Sorry but Everton were garbage. Haven’t seen anything from him to make me change my opinion. 

I have seen Barkley in that CM role, 4 times this season and in each one he looks to have got better and better. Brighton, Burnley, Liverpool and Everton. I like his ability to roam from the position too. Everton were poor, we were fantastic and Barkley too. I think that might be his best position. Give credit where due.

I think finally Barkley has found the position where he plays best and we should carry on playing him here whenever he can.

It was always weird with Barkley as some games he was superb and other was utterly dire. There was no inbetween really, but i think with him being in a more advanced position definitely suits him!

I was all about wanting to sell him not too long ago, but now with all our injuries and the form he's in Im not sure what the best course of action is!

16 hours ago, rtwelch said:

Sorry but Everton were garbage. Haven’t seen anything from him to make me change my opinion. 

Everton were made to look garbage by a superior team performance. It's not a crime to admit that your team played well,when they do.  FFS, lots of people in here are only too happy to criticise when we don't play well.

I don't have a great opinion of Barkley, I think he hasn't got a footballing brain and has been very sloppy, particularly in our third on way too many occasions to be reliable, but he has stepped up this last couple of games.

Sometimes we just have accept that not everything fits our own preconceived positions.

That was probably his best game since at the club. 

I'm actually surprised he had to brain capacity and vision to make that first time pass for Pedro. Perhaps there is something to him playing further back instead of butchering our front 3.  

It's safe to say that Barkley deserves to start over Kante and Kovacic, he's actually a goal threat and he's making assists now as well.

Very good game from Barkley. Think he worked well with Mount and Gilmour, also led the press well.

Chelsea absolutely dominated the midfield today which afforded Barkley the time and space he needs to thrive. We benefitted hugely from Everton playing with 2 up front, giving us more men in midfield and always having a pass open. It will be interested to see how he performs against teams which set up the low block, such as Villa next weekend.

23 minutes ago, Shweaves said:

Very good game from Barkley. Think he worked well with Mount and Gilmour, also led the press well.

Chelsea absolutely dominated the midfield today which afforded Barkley the time and space he needs to thrive. We benefitted hugely from Everton playing with 2 up front, giving us more men in midfield and always having a pass open. It will be interested to see how he performs against teams which set up the low block, such as Villa next weekend.

Maybe JT can pass Frank their plan.

:biggrin:

The one thing which Barkley has really improved in his game is playing between the lines and finding space, he is not the greatest when being pressed however this season he is not playing too far forward that he doesnt get the opportunity to turn and get his head up and neither is he playing too far back that his first touch is scrutinized by the first wave of the opposition press. He is finding space on the pitch and giving himself the best opportunity to run with the ball and really hurt opposition, I am absolute certain Lampard has had a lot to do with the positional change as he was the best when it came to finding space from midfield to allow him to utilise his attacking attributes.

I remember (Not sure which Manager) wanted Lampard to play as a number 10 and shift him from Central Midfield to further up the pitch and Lampard really struggled as he just wasnt getting the time on the ball to get his head up and assess the situation, he spent a lot of the time with his back to goal. He transformed his form once he started playing deeper again, think that experience must've allowed him to assist Ross in his positional development. 

10 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

Everton were made to look garbage by a superior team performance. It's not a crime to admit that your team played well,when they do.  FFS, lots of people in here are only too happy to criticise when we don't play well.

I don't have a great opinion of Barkley, I think he hasn't got a footballing brain and has been very sloppy, particularly in our third on way too many occasions to be reliable, but he has stepped up this last couple of games.

Sometimes we just have accept that not everything fits our own preconceived positions.

I too might have to back-track on Barkley as he was very near the top of my list of players to be moved on in the summer. It was the cliche of make or break season for him this one and the signs were it was break as he had slipped well down the pecking order and that's before Gilmour was starting and with RLC still to return. But I've always thought he can offer us SOMETHING and last couple of games we can see what that is. He still frustrates, still makes too many wrong decisions and in tight games he can be a liability but then again in tight games he could equally be the difference that helps win the game. He 100% gives us more goal threat than Kante, Kovacic or Jorginho ( just don't let him take the penalties!).

I've always hoped he'll succeed, despite having major doubts but I like him and I'm happy for him to battle for his place again next season.