Welcome Ross Barkley

That's an odd decision to say the least, and to Villa? That's a team battling relegation, how's that going to help him be a starter at Chelsea in 12 months time?  I don't buy the he doesn't get enough games excuse, could have easily started in the cup game last night. How many games have we played this season FFS, seriosuly.  RLC is clearly on a long recovery road, and we just let go one of the better attacking midfielder in the team. Is that due to Rice coming to free up a spot? All very confusing.

1 minute ago, doctorblue said:

Are we mad? If any one should be shipped out it should be Loftus Cheek the treacle runner...does that mean RLC stays along with Jorinho?

Think jorghino defo stays. 50/50 on Rubens , still leaves us 4 for 2 positions going forward even if he does go. And others that can play there in emergency so still plenty of cover. 
that’s without the Rice rumours still going on 

Insanity. Good luck to Frank with Cheek coming of the bench to  turn the games around. The most indifferent, lazy, energy insufficient guy since Anelka and Berbatov but without their class. 

If we were to play Cheek in some final desperate attempt to make him a decent player, OK, I'd be fine with it.But everybody here knows he will be on the bench at best. And he is literally the worst guy for the job with his nonchalant game and attitude. 

7 minutes ago, turnyitb said:

Think jorghino defo stays. 50/50 on Rubens , still leaves us 4 for 2 positions going forward even if he does go. And others that can play there in emergency so still plenty of cover. 
that’s without the Rice rumours still going on 

At this point I'd take Barkley over Jorginho and RLC both. One is a limited player without much use in the current setup and the other is either injured or fit but underwhelming.

Barkley will never be world class but you know what he can give you and he's fairly consistent.

Edited by abramovich

Honestly shocked. Just as i have came around to the idea of Barkley being a good back up option, he is gone out on loan.

Either Barkley has forced the issue because of a lack of minutes, or we are struggling to get others out of the door to trim the squad. 

Disappointed, but with no league cup now, maybe he wouldnt have played much anyway, especially when ziyech and Pulisic are back fit allowing mount to play centrally more. 

Doubt very much we ever see Barkley in a chelsea shirt again, loaned out 27 doesnt exactly look like he has a future here. Hopefully he does well and we get a good fee for him.

I could see Barkley being the one to force this move, Euros end of this season and he needs constant game time to get in the England squad. Though I can only repeat what others have said, Im surprised it was him and not RLC.

After Kai was signed this was bound to happen, don't know why so many are baffled by it. Barkley took his chances last season and he clearly deserves to play but having Havertz blocks him so this loan deal is what he really needs.

This has come as a surprise, I would have expected RLC to be loaned out ahead of him. I think he's a very good player but has struggled to make the step up, which would be harder anyway when you're constantly in and out of the team. I expect he will do well for Villa given regular minutes. 

23 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Insanity. Good luck to Frank with Cheek coming of the bench to  turn the games around. The most indifferent, lazy, energy insufficient guy since Anelka and Berbatov but without their class. 

If we were to play Cheek in some final desperate attempt to make him a decent player, OK, I'd be fine with it.But everybody here knows he will be on the bench at best. And he is literally the worst guy for the job with his nonchalant game and attitude. 

Completely agree.

RLC is one of the laziest players I have ever seen at the club. He is not trying whatsoever to put in any kind of performance. 

Insanity from Frank to send Barkley on loan. Frank has to go now. He is ruining the club.

On 30/09/2020 at 12:01, Andy2461 said:

Well I would assume as they have got a homegrown player out they must be bringing one in ?

Think we have plenty enough if i am not mistaken.

But this came out of nowhere. Barkley could have offered us something this season really. So not sure this was the best idea in the world. 

5 minutes ago, SlantyTown said:

Completely agree.

RLC is one of the laziest players I have ever seen at the club. He is not trying whatsoever to put in any kind of performance. 

Insanity from Frank to send Barkley on loan. Frank has to go now. He is ruining the club.

He doesn't deserve to start over Havertz anyway. We have too many midfielders right now.

When signing RB was mooted for £35 million I was non plus when he signed for £15 million I yawned he is a player that promises so much and delivers so little.

We to be honest have players pushing for a squad place that offer as much but here’s one that was mentioned  few weeks ago elsewhere and that is that Reece James will be converted to a midfielder and to be fair on the few glimpses we have seen him there I think that’s a reasonable call.

9 minutes ago, terraloon said:

When signing RB was mooted for £35 million I was non plus when he signed for £15 million I yawned he is a player that promises so much and delivers so little.

We to be honest have players pushing for a squad place that offer as much but here’s one that was mentioned  few weeks ago elsewhere and that is that Reece James will be converted to a midfielder and to be fair on the few glimpses we have seen him there I think that’s a reasonable call.

I agree with you about RJ as a midfielder...he played there successfully on occasions at Wigan...as a defender he leaves a lot to be desired...Rudiger and Dave at RB makes more sense...and of course he's home grown too...I'm fearful that we're about to spunk £60m on Rice and for the life of me, I can't see why??

Edited by doctorblue

Good luck to him. Hope we don't end up regretting this ... great signing for Villa.

For me, he offers far more than Jorginho, Kovacic or the current version of RLC. Two of our best performances last season were with a midfield of Gilmour, Barkley and Mount, and he was a big part of that. Under-rated by many on here ...

1 hour ago, abramovich said:

Why would we do that? He's one of the more valuable squad options we've got. I don't understand that at all.

Yeah I dont understand this one, he`s a good squad option so its limiting ourselves for what reason?

17 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Good luck to him. Hope we don't end up regretting this ... great signing for Villa.

For me, he offers far more than Jorginho, Kovacic or the current version of RLC. Two of our best performances last season were with a midfield of Gilmour, Barkley and Mount, and he was a big part of that. Under-rated by many on here ...

That's the main reason wh, he is good to start games after he took his chances last season but he isn't going to be picked over Mount and Havertz so he chose to go on loan.