Welcome Ross Barkley

3 hours ago, MayosNoun! said:

He’s so direct and always has a goal in him. I was quite disappointed he left on loan but I hope he does well. 

"A goal" is the operative phase. I am a fan of barkley but his goal scoring record is poor, generally only about 2-3 a season, not enough for an attacking midfielder. I hope he has a great season at Villa, currently well above us in the table.

Good start, hopefully he will keep going to take some more points off our rivals. Disappointed to lose him, but second thought it makes sense to him. He couldn't secure the starting spot last season, there's no chance he'd be a regular starter this season and beyond. He had his injury problems, now he's fully fit he just needs to play week in week out to achieve his potential, and it's not going to happen with us. He has a good season, we make 15-20M off him in the transfer market, smart business all around.

On 05/07/2020 at 12:30, Scott Harris said:

Lampard seems to like him though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he is still here next season. 

The problem I have with Barkley is that he takes so long to do anything. He's strong, quick, can pass, can shoot, but his tentative temperament holds all of this back. He'll be 27 next season and I just don't think he will ever shake it off. I feel like it's the main thing that has stopped him becoming a top player.

His body has all the tools he just isn’t mentally sharp enough 

8 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Good start, hopefully he will keep going to take some more points off our rivals. Disappointed to lose him, but second thought it makes sense to him. He couldn't secure the starting spot last season, there's no chance he'd be a regular starter this season and beyond. He had his injury problems, now he's fully fit he just needs to play week in week out to achieve his potential, and it's not going to happen with us. He has a good season, we make 15-20M off him in the transfer market, smart business all around.

In all honesty, id rather keep him as a good squad/cup game player. Selling him for a mere 15m doesnt really seem worth it when hes a good enough to give us squad depth

• 2 weeks later...

Barkley was the sub we were missing today. Really strange to let him go out loan, especially with Mount being used out wide. Im not even Barkley's biggest fan, but Havertz was knackered, we needed someone to get on the ball and add a bit of muscle, and like we saw against Brighton, Barkley can have that impact. 

1 minute ago, big blue said:

Barkley was the sub we were missing today. Really strange to let him go out loan, especially with Mount being used out wide. Im not even Barkley's biggest fan, but Havertz was knackered, we needed someone to get on the ball and add a bit of muscle, and like we saw against Brighton, Barkley can have that impact. 

This is pretty much my position too. We somehow went from being spoilt for choice in midfield to very thin. I think I mentioned in the Jorginho thread following the Barkley news that there was not way he could possibly be going to Arsenal as we could  then easily end up in a situation where we have no midfield.

3 minutes ago, big blue said:

That's exactly why he is on loan, he has shown that he is good enough to start games because he took his chances coming from the bench but but he still can't start for us.

11 hours ago, STATS said:

Come up with a last minute winner. Top goal. What a loan he is going to be for Villa. That ability to drive and shoot is something that could have been really useful for us... oh well.

The problem is that teams set up differently against us than they do against a team like Villa, so while playing for Villa they will keep an eye on him and Grealish for example they wont and dont have the same 10 men behind the ball, this is why when RB plays for a smaller team he gets the space to run into and shoot, that wouldnt be there in most game we play

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Sindre said:

He's been phenomenal so far for Villa. Would think they will be very interested in signing him come next summer and we should be able to get a quite a lot of money for him in that case.

I think with Barkley is that he is a good player, but he's not a top level player. He would never be a starter here, just too inconsistent. But he would be a good squad player and has been a good squad player. I think the best option is to get a good fee for him by the end of the season, with the way he is currently playing, I'm sure some club will snap him up for a good fee if Villa don't. 

He's doing very good so far together with Grealish, let's see where Aston Villa will end up this season.

Never seen Barkley as our starter or our key player, but he shows great football now, would be great to get some nice payment for him. I'm pretty sure other clubs will be interested in him as well.

20-30m would be great deal, but who knows, maybe we would see him with us next season and he will put the same performances here.

Well done Ross!