Olivier Giroud to Chelsea

2 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Giroud and Morata are too similar in their style of play. If we were to go with 2 up front, then i would much rather see Batshuayi and Morata together.

Yes and no in my opinion. Yes, they are similar in style of play, though Giroud is better with his feet of what I remember, but I think teams would have difficulty dealing with both in the box at the same time, plus Giroud does not just fall over with a defender within 5 yards of him. :laugh2:

5 minutes ago, Chelsea Buzz said:

So, curious. Everyone happy with Giroud, considering he is the backup to Morata as opposed to Dzeko? Or did you prefer Dzeko? 

I realize neither is a huge addition, but either would be a nice addition and they can occasionally start. I am fine with either and am happy with Giroud.

Do you think we might see Giroud and Morata up top together occasionally?

- - - - - - - - Courtois - - - - - - - 

- - Cahill - Christensen - Dave - -

Moses - Willian/Cesc -Kante- Alonso

- - - - - - - - - Hazard - - - - - - -

- - - - Giroud - - - - Morata - - - -

Why not? 

obviously dzeko, but it is what it is. only downside to dzeko would have been not allowed to play in champions league. 

3 minutes ago, big blue said:

Don't think conte will play that formation, and I also don't see morata and giroud as a good partnership. Both very similar. 

Prefer giroud to dzeko considering the price, and hopefully the ease in which he will settle. 

Key word is occasionally, and I realize they would honestly never be in the XI together in all seriousness. But perhaps late in games if we have to have a goal in the final 15 minutes or so. 

1 hour ago, Barrettinator said:

Marina can't even cough up a mere £20m for Giroud. She STILL wants to drive the price down. You could tell her a player costs £2m and she'd lowball you for £500k. What a f**king frustrating human being!

I'm trying to be balanced and see if from her side, but she has been lowballing for a few seasons now, it's not working, I feel she misses the big picture of the football club and is a numbers person, is she trying to show how clever and bad arse she is, I dunno, but either way she doesn't seem as good at her job as her peers at other clubs. 

2 minutes ago, Socrates said:

Good player. Ridiculous that we've let Batshuayi leave though. What's wrong with having three strikers and let them compete? 

For whatever reason, I think Batshuayi agitated Conte this year. Even his lack of reaction with Michy's first goal Sunday kind of shows it.

Plus, it is just a 6 month loan deal I believe.

2 minutes ago, ScrubsLaneCFC said:

I'm trying to be balanced and see if from her side, but she has been lowballing for a few seasons now, it's not working, I feel she misses the big picture of the football club and is a numbers person, is she trying to show how clever and bad arse she is, I dunno, but either way she doesn't seem as good at her job as her peers at other clubs. 

We did not seem to lowball on Morata or especially Bakayoko. It seems that age has a lot to do with it. Heck, I think we paid 30 or 35 million for Juan Caudrado four years ago, which was insane, but he was young.

I will add Giroud MUCH better than Llorente!!!! Well worth passing in August as it turns out.

Tomorrow could be depressing.

Arsenal - Aubameyang

Tottenham - Lucas Moura

Man City - Mahrez

Chelsea - Giroud

I know a lot on here would be happy with Giroud, but let's be honest here, we have been laughing at the guy at Arsenal for years now. Obsessed with selfies and his looks, scores a few goals but sh*ts himself when it comes to the crunch. The guy IS Arsenal, everything wrong with Arsenal exists in Giroud.

3 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Tomorrow could be depressing.

Arsenal - Aubameyang

Tottenham - Lucas Moura

Man City - Mahrez

Chelsea - Giroud

I know a lot on here would be happy with Giroud, but let's be honest here, we have been laughing at the guy at Arsenal for years now. Obsessed with selfies and his looks, scores a few goals but sh*ts himself when it comes to the crunch. The guy IS Arsenal, everything wrong with Arsenal exists in Giroud.

We'd be laughing our arses off if Arsenal were after a sub striker as their big buy in the window.

We seem to just collpse when these windows open, it's like we have amatures doing our bidding. 

Arsenal would be the big winners if we sign Giroud, once again we help them become a better side. 

1 minute ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

GIROUD ARRIVES AT SWANSEA

Contrary to reports, Olivier Giroud has arrived with the Arsenal squad at the Liberty Stadium for tonight’s Premier League clash with Swansea City.

Don't think it really matters as Auby is at thier training ground, Giroud will get medical tomorrow in London at some point.

2 hours ago, Van Butsen said:

You've more or less proved what I was saying, even though I wasn't directing it at you.

The last two winners of the premier league haven't done so on the back of signing genuine top class players.  Granted Kante is a star, but he wasn't when Leicester signed him and I  think players like Moses and Alonso along with Conte's tactical changes were the hallmark of our title winning season.  The total disregard of coaching meaning anything and this lust for ready made stars to fill up our fantasy team is the point I'm making.  But how many times do big players underperform at new clubs as well? There's not guaranteed solution by investing in them. Yes you can't deny star players are going to be capable of more, but good players can become great players at a club like ours.  What are you complaining about? What's wrong with signing a genuine star every two seasons?

People scream for more depth, so we spend all window trying to sign players that are not going to be picked every week but with great pedigree none the less to sure up our squad YET people complain. 

I call BS on the fans seeing the squad regressing.  In what way shape or form is it regressing.  It's the total opposite, we are a younger playing squad with more years in the legs than the one last year or the one before. It's a myth and it's compounded by the fact people think a player with 10 goals, some bad misses and an injury concern is a flop.  If we shipped out every player that didn't hit the ground running we wouldn't have some of the players you'll look back on from yesteryear.

Fail to secure Hazard long term? This is his sixth year at the club. Zola was here for 7.  In a world where supporters like you want to pull genuine stars from other teams (I won't even start on the hypocrisy of that) how many years will be deemed long enough for you?  How many titles?  Do you think he doesn't want to win the CL with us? 

You're right about one thing though, I don't think anyone will stop supporting us because I don't think the signings we intend to make or will make represent a sign that we won't compete for trophies anymore.  So we will continue to do so but you'll never stop complaining.

Hazard, Courtois, Costa and Fabregas are top class players. They were key players in our two latest title wins. We wouldn't have come close to winning those titles without them. Now Costa's gone, Fabregas is getting on a bit and Hazard with Courtois may not be around too much longer. 

The squad is regressing because few years ago it had the likes of Terry and Cole at the back, Lampard in the middle and Drogba upfront. It had a core of top class players, real leaders on the pitch who were big game performers and a solid squad filled with very good players. Now we have one world class star in Hazard, maybe Kante is somewhere close to that level and a world class keeper. That's about it.

Here's a good point from Twitter

J. Tweedie‏ @JoeTweedie

'Lampard's point about Ballack signing for #CFC has gone under the radar. It pushed him to be better & demand more from himself. Who are we signing that is putting that sort of pressure on first choice players? On their worst day, half the team sleepwalk into their starting roles.'

You need to sign top talent to push other players. If there's no real competition for places, the team regeresses. It doesn't mean you have to spend insane amounts of money all the time, but you need to spend big on occasion.

Edited by abramovich

Giroud would be a terrible, terrible signing. He is not at the standard required to compete at the top level and with Barkley and Drinkwater will drag Chelsea down to mid table status for the first time in 20 plus years. What the fck is going on at the club?

3 minutes ago, pamery said:

Giroud would be a terrible, terrible signing. He is not at the standard required to compete at the top level and with Barkley and Drinkwater will drag Chelsea down to mid table status for the first time in 20 plus years. What the fck is going on at the club?

Think you hit the zero key by accident.  Club was mid-table about 2 seasons ago.

It's a good deal for a player who will suit the role Antonio wants in the squad. Watch him work with Griezmann at Euro2016 to see how it could work with Hazard.

I also think this perhaps opens up the option of playing 4-4-2 as Conte originally experimented with last year.

Marina drives a very hard bargain which may at times be to her detriment. That said from a situation where we were signing Carroll, or Dzeko for 30m+, to getting a good striker eligible for the CL who has a solid scoring record in England for 18m. We have done well. Good deal for Giroud and Michy as well as they seek to make their World Cup squads.

I think some on here are getting confused with the need with this signing. The Club was and is currently not looking for a first choice number 10. We just paid a ton for Morata. The club was looking for the number two choice behind Morata that may occasionally start. Though Batshuayi has scored a few recently, he is not what they or Conte are looking for at the moment. 

So Giroud is to be plan B throughout the rest of the year. He would have been great to have tomorrow night with Morata injured. This was NOT meant to be a marquee signing. It is a replacement for Batshuayi when we almost signed Llorente in August. Big upgrade over Llorente in my opinion.

He is not Carroll, nor Crouch, nor Barnes or even Loic Remy (ha!).

Giroud is a solid addition for the price and he has a lot of PL and CL experience. 

Welcome!!