Olivier Giroud to Chelsea

2 minutes ago, Slojo said:

We'll miss this fella when he's gone, appreciate him now while you can. Even in a quiet game like that, he can always come up with the goods. 

The club really need to look into finding a target man this summer. Not sure how long giroud will be here but I don’t think tammy is good enough to be the leading striker and Werner seems better in his current position as a left 10 rather than leading the line.

His minutes to goal at the club is actually really good, ignore his caps to games. He's actually one of our best strikers in the clubs history if you go by that. Deadly in Europe, which is something Costa wasn't for some reason. 

Big game player is our Giroud. Just got to get the ball to him in the box and he often  delivers. The fact it took an Atletico player to set him up once again shows how useless our creative players were and are.

If not like we are missing multiple chances, we are not creating enough.

So happy with everything tonight well done TT played a blinder, watching his post match interview right now. My god he is an ugly mother f**ker....and that's coming from me

Sorry clicked wrong link....though this was the TT thread

Edited by Malta Blue

8 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

To be fair we probably would have said exactly the same thing back in 2012!

If you were to give me every single season under Roman Abramovich and asked me, which year is the most unlikely year we win the Champions League, it would've been then 2012. Even our team after the transfer ban I would've been more confident with, or Jose's disaster of a 3rd season. 

That 2012 side to do what they did then, was just insane, it was fate. 

1 minute ago, dansubrosa said:

I've also read somewhere that he's got 21 goals in 27 starts since last season. This man is honestly one of the greatest strikers to have played for us. So consistent and reliable.

Well this season he's easily our best striker.

May be an image of text that says "player Age Tammy Abraham Centre Centre-Forward Nat. In squad 18 23 Olivier Giroud Centre- Forwar 37 11 30 34 12 Timo Werner Centre-Forward 36 1.516 22 11 36 1.001' 2.550'"

If you look at his minutes on the right, that's basically 11 goals in 11 games if go by the minutes. 

4 hours ago, Slojo said:

If you were to give me every single season under Roman Abramovich and asked me, which year is the most unlikely year we win the Champions League, it would've been then 2012. Even our team after the transfer ban I would've been more confident with, or Jose's disaster of a 3rd season. 

Yes that semifinal in particular was one of those divine intervention / ‘God was a Bulgarian’ (stoitchkov after Bulgaria beat Germany in 1994) type moments. I mean losing Terry.... in the first half...at the nou camp where they were pretty much invincible... but this sort of thing happens only once every blue moon and to the same team probably only once in its history, and only when nobody is expecting it. Ie not going to happen this year. 

But... we will increase the odds of it occurring if we play Giroud in every CL game. It’s a must.

13 minutes ago, Dean said:

Yes that semifinal in particular was one of those divine intervention / ‘God was a Bulgarian’ (stoitchkov after Bulgaria beat Germany in 1994) type moments. I mean losing Terry.... in the first half...at the nou camp where they were pretty much invincible... but this sort of thing happens only once every blue moon and to the same team probably only once in its history, and only when nobody is expecting it. Ie not going to happen this year. 

But... we will increase the odds of it occurring if we play Giroud in every CL game. It’s a must.

We were 2-0 down in the first half with John Terry sent off correct? How on earth could anyone possibly expect us to win that game. 

Let's not forget that this game was what broke Guardiola, he actually admitted after this game that it's likely his final game. But Barcelona was still the greatest team in the world at the time. What we did at their ground was just something legends are made of. I remember having about 20 panic attacks after Ramires scored. I could barely contain myself because Barcelona were just on the attack constantly. 

2 hours ago, Dean said:

We always had a punchers chance, with the likes of Drogba and Lampard etc yet to go that far we also needed a bit of luck to go our way.

The odds on us wining this time are 2% and I have no argument with that as we are struggling to score though defensively not so bad. 

Something about playing Barcelona that day even allowing for the sending off and being behind galvanised the team to rise above it and focus.

Ramires surprisingly scored a great goal against the run of play and then Torres who had been somewhat underwhelming since his arrival to say the least is suddenly in a position to hammer one of his childhood enemies and we go through.

Still needed to ride our luck against the Germans yet what a season and we also prevented Harry taking Spurs to Europe and even though they were 4th in the table he was sacked!

9 hours ago, Dean said:

Just gives you an excuse, if ever one was needed, to marvel at the absolute Worldie from Ramires, in the best 5 goals I have ever seen?

Olli is clearly our best striker. He’s always viewed as a reserve player though. If we are serious about Haaland or another legit striker I think TT should really build the attack around Giroud for the rest of the season. He doesn’t get the chances other forwards get due too our system but I think if he was viewed as the first option and we built the attack around him (for this season) we could go places (atleast secure top 4 & advance in champions). He gets half the chances but his finishing rate is elite. Focus on finding him at all costs and we could get somewhere this year!

50 minutes ago, Mouwry said:

Olli is clearly our best striker. He’s always viewed as a reserve player though. If we are serious about Haaland or another legit striker I think TT should really build the attack around Giroud for the rest of the season. He doesn’t get the chances other forwards get due too our system but I think if he was viewed as the first option and we built the attack around him (for this season) we could go places (atleast secure top 4 & advance in champions). He gets half the chances but his finishing rate is elite. Focus on finding him at all costs and we could get somewhere this year!

I think we saw during post COVID last year that he has it over Tammy.  His ability to enable others just brings the best out of Pulisic and will bring the best out of Havertz and Ziyech too. Chronically underrated. 

20 hours ago, Slojo said:

Completely agree, that team was probably the worst team to have ever won ucl in modern era. 

That game against barca and Bayern especially was like game between relegated team vs title winner. Extremely one sided, we pretty much camped in our own box without way to get out or counter. 

I wish i can say we conceded little chances but this simply isn't true. We conceded lots of chances but like you said sometimes it is just fate. 

17 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

I think we saw during post COVID last year that he has it over Tammy.  His ability to enable others just brings the best out of Pulisic and will bring the best out of Havertz and Ziyech too. Chronically underrated. 

I think he’s underrated by his teammates too. Whenever he gets a run of games and his teammates grow comfortable with him he is great. He is what he is though. He’s not pressing or winning balls with pace. If he gets a run of games though and his teammates learn how to use him effectively. Watch out.

this team has everything BUT finishing and he brings that period

Edited by Mouwry

In a perfect world I’d love to use him in a “firmino” role. Hold up move it out wide. Get him in the box with an extra midfielder in there to open him up. The three back is working for now but we have too few players in the box. 

He is one of the best poachers the team just never gets the ball deep enough to let him drop back and pick off goals.

Edited by Mouwry