Olivier Giroud to Chelsea

AshB

Posted (edited)

With all the difficulties we've had at the #9 position I don't understand why Tuchel didn't give Giroud and Abraham more of a chance.  

Of course if we get Halland in than he should solidify the position for himself.

Edited by Valpo

• 2 weeks later...

Now France are out Ollie is expected to make use of his good personal relationship to secure a free transfer to Milan. 2 year deal ready there for him. We are hoping to offload Baka to them as well, though that is proving a lot more difficult.

He won a Champions League for us (top scorer with 6 goals) and a Europa League. Fantastic servant, I'd say just let him leave ala Cech.

6 minutes ago, charierre said:

Being reported that we have agreed a fee of 2m Euro for him. Giroud has been a fantastic signing for the club, scored some very big goals for us and has always put in a performance. Deserves to do well at Milan. Thanks Olivier.

Went through the trouble of activating the extra year for peanuts.

28 minutes ago, Argo said:

The idealistic part of me would have liked to have seen him stay and lift the PL trophy, even as a Terry esque 16/17 bit part but realistically he was always going to move on once his game time dried up.

Yet another one who moved here from Arsenal and won one of the big one's. 

I agree, problem is realistically he wouldn't have got as much play time here than say Milan so as far as he is concerned it's the right move for him.

I think he deserves a prem win though for the quality of player he is.

2 hours ago, ducavis said:

That should cover at least some staff annual wages, so it wasn't for nothing. Maybe even a big party/bonus for them after this hard period. We were always letting him go anyway, so to get a fee is just a feel good factor.  

Btw, does anyone know if spotrac info on player's salaries is reliable? Just saw there that Malang Sarr is like one of the best paid defenders in the club.

And thanks for the amazing service, Oli! I reckon he will be coming back in the future, whether as a coach or some sort of embassador (pretty hair that makes player better like Kepa's)

Ah Olivier! You’ll always have a special place at the Chelsea table. Couldn’t win anything with Arsenal besides an FA Cup; comes to Chelsea and wins two European trophies. It’s amazing how much bigger he’s become than that one London club

Massively under rated player, even in the last few months I reckon Tuchel under used him, could have turned few of the games around if he he was in. It's a good time for him to leave, just won the biggest trophy he'd never expect to win, and free up a spot for either Tammy to stay or a new striker to come in.

Pretty smart move to sign up Giroud for another year in order to eke a transfer fee (however minor) out of AC Milan in exchange for two weeks' wages.

If we do let him leave, and assuming Abraham will remain on Tuchel's 'undesirables' list... this leaves us without a single pure centre-forward in the entire first-team squad. Unless Tuchel intends to bring Batshuayi back into the fold, one would think that we are going to sign a replacement.

16 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

Pretty smart move to sign up Giroud for another year in order to eke a transfer fee (however minor) out of AC Milan in exchange for two weeks' wages.

If we do let him leave, and assuming Abraham will remain on Tuchel's 'undesirables' list... this leaves us without a single pure centre-forward in the entire first-team squad. Unless Tuchel intends to bring Batshuayi back into the fold, one would think that we are going to sign a replacement.

Batshuayi’s contract ends next summer so last window to get a fee for him. Reckon a £5m -£7m + add ons will be fair.

17 hours ago, ducavis said:

Was a contigency as much as anything. 

The fact we've agreed to let him go would suggest we're confident we're going to sign a new centre forward for next summer. 

3 hours ago, ducavis said:

Batshuayi’s contract ends next summer so last window to get a fee for him. Reckon a £5m -£7m + add ons will be fair.

If Batshuayi is here when the season starts I might have a God damn panic attack. It's so, so tiring that a player that poor shows up at Cobham for pre-season every year.

A good signing overall and now a good move for him and probably the right time for all parties to move on. He was an underwhelming signing at the time , albeit a massive upgrade on Ashley Barnes and Crouch who were also being linked. 

He was instrumental in getting a top 4 finish under Lampard and obviously his performance vs Arsenal in the Europa final and goal vs Atletico won’t be forgotten about any time soon.