Jump to content

Olivier Giroud to Chelsea


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, abramovich said:

From what I can gather, Conte doesn't seem to have much input in who we sign, anyway. I think this is a case with pretty much any manager that comes to work for Chelsea. They're obviously asked, but as Conte found out, rarely get who they asked for. The club treats a manager as an employee and his power within the organization is quite limited.

Which in turn leads me to another question. If a manager in fact doesn't have much influence on who we buy and at this point the board doesn't have to take into consideration Conte's preferences since they don't think he's staying past summer anyway, that still doesn't explain why we're struggling to buy top quality players. 

I'm OK with missing out on top class players if we go and sign other top class players. But we don't, we settle for maybes, hoping some of them turn out to be good.

I realize that Carroll/Crouch/Barnes rumours may have been BS, but there's a truth in every joke. You can't imagine this type of nonsense printed about United or City. That's how we're being perceived.

Exactly and the media are pushing Luis Enrique as the next manager, is he likely to sign knowing this?

After all he was Pep's predecessor at Barca suggesting he will want to compete at least.

Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

The last thing i want to see in this club is target man football. Find me one elite team that plays that way. 

It seems some fans are more concerned with style and cock comparing with other teams big signings. We simply need to back the manager's vision as well as we can. If it's Moses instead of Dani Alves or Giroud instead of Aubameyang then so be it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, abramovich said:

But most of those people (except for a couple of idiots) don't expect it each window, as you put it. The fans see the squad regressing in the last few years and the club struggling to sign top tier players. Forget about 3 from top 20 every transfer window, when was the last time we signed a genuine top class player? Maybe Kante? That's one in how many windows?

If we fail to secure Hazard and Courtois to long term contracts, we're f**ked, pure and simple. And if I were them, I wouldn't be in a hurry to commit my long term future to the club that's clearly going backwards at the moment and showing no ambition in the transfer market. There's only so much you can do when you try to save money on every possible deal. At a certain point you end up with an average squad full of average players. And the results follow.

But on the bright side, no more fairweather supporters. Totally worth it.

 

You've more or less proved what I was saying, even though I wasn't directing it at you.

The last two winners of the premier league haven't done so on the back of signing genuine top class players.  Granted Kante is a star, but he wasn't when Leicester signed him and I  think players like Moses and Alonso along with Conte's tactical changes were the hallmark of our title winning season.  The total disregard of coaching meaning anything and this lust for ready made stars to fill up our fantasy team is the point I'm making.  But how many times do big players underperform at new clubs as well? There's not guaranteed solution by investing in them. Yes you can't deny star players are going to be capable of more, but good players can become great players at a club like ours.  What are you complaining about? What's wrong with signing a genuine star every two seasons?

People scream for more depth, so we spend all window trying to sign players that are not going to be picked every week but with great pedigree none the less to sure up our squad YET people complain. 

I call BS on the fans seeing the squad regressing.  In what way shape or form is it regressing.  It's the total opposite, we are a younger playing squad with more years in the legs than the one last year or the one before. It's a myth and it's compounded by the fact people think a player with 10 goals, some bad misses and an injury concern is a flop.  If we shipped out every player that didn't hit the ground running we wouldn't have some of the players you'll look back on from yesteryear.

Fail to secure Hazard long term? This is his sixth year at the club. Zola was here for 7.  In a world where supporters like you want to pull genuine stars from other teams (I won't even start on the hypocrisy of that) how many years will be deemed long enough for you?  How many titles?  Do you think he doesn't want to win the CL with us? 

You're right about one thing though, I don't think anyone will stop supporting us because I don't think the signings we intend to make or will make represent a sign that we won't compete for trophies anymore.  So we will continue to do so but you'll never stop complaining.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all, Arsenal fan here. If this goes through you'll be getting one hell of a player and someone I'll be very sorry to see leave. He wants to play in the World Cup, though, and like Cech he has a young family he doesn't want to uproot. That's fair. 

I'd be interested to see how he fits into Conte's plans. He or someone at Chelsea obviously wants a target man (and there've been suggestions that Giroud's strengths didn't always suit Arsenal's style of play) but he's a lot more than that. The fact that he's not the fastest runner too often leads him to being labelled as just slow but his rapid footwork has been at the centre of some of Arsenal's best team play over the past few seasons.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also when fans complain about Chelsea not buying any world class players for the manager, it may be worth pointing out their vision over 5 years ago was spot on.

They bought players amongst which currently are probably ranking in the top 10 in the premiership either in performances or value but the last time they gave a manager free reign he dispensed of quite a few of them. And without shame he now manages a couple of them for a rival club.

What if they are adopting a stance of once bitten twice shy. Conte wants to win at all costs and no problem with that as it's the wins that sell him and he has proven by not committing long term to the club that he is ready to go elsewhere. 

We all know the contracts that are signed these days are not worth the paper they are signed on anyway so he could well have signed a 5 year extension and left at the end of this season. Get himself a huge pay out probably worth more than his increased package if it was negotiated by a skilled agent.

Whilst his forthrightness is commendable it is also foolhardy as gives no one any comfort from boardroom to dressing room. 

You are Chelsea F.C head coach, go and coach the players you have to be better. You did it last season, go and do it again. If you fail we know where the problem has come from.

And by the way I don't really remember when Chelsea bought world class players. We have always gone for potential bar a few exceptions. Over the last decade our brilliance has been in the sum efforts of the collective and not in individual brilliance. 

I'd even go as far as saying when we have brilliant players it begins to pose a threat to our performances as for some reason we lose that collective team performance and start to rely on individuals turning up. Case in point, Hazard.

Edited by abister1
Link to post
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Van Butsen said:

You've more or less proved what I was saying, even though I wasn't directing it at you.

The last two winners of the premier league haven't done so on the back of signing genuine top class players.  Granted Kante is a star, but he wasn't when Leicester signed him and I  think players like Moses and Alonso along with Conte's tactical changes were the hallmark of our title winning season.  The total disregard of coaching meaning anything and this lust for ready made stars to fill up our fantasy team is the point I'm making.  But how many times do big players underperform at new clubs as well? There's not guaranteed solution by investing in them. Yes you can't deny star players are going to be capable of more, but good players can become great players at a club like ours.  What are you complaining about? What's wrong with signing a genuine star every two seasons?

People scream for more depth, so we spend all window trying to sign players that are not going to be picked every week but with great pedigree none the less to sure up our squad YET people complain. 

I call BS on the fans seeing the squad regressing.  In what way shape or form is it regressing.  It's the total opposite, we are a younger playing squad with more years in the legs than the one last year or the one before. It's a myth and it's compounded by the fact people think a player with 10 goals, some bad misses and an injury concern is a flop.  If we shipped out every player that didn't hit the ground running we wouldn't have some of the players you'll look back on from yesteryear.

Fail to secure Hazard long term? This is his sixth year at the club. Zola was here for 7.  In a world where supporters like you want to pull genuine stars from other teams (I won't even start on the hypocrisy of that) how many years will be deemed long enough for you?  How many titles?  Do you think he doesn't want to win the CL with us? 

You're right about one thing though, I don't think anyone will stop supporting us because I don't think the signings we intend to make or will make represent a sign that we won't compete for trophies anymore.  So we will continue to do so but you'll never stop complaining.

I concur

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Squiggle said:

Hello all, Arsenal fan here. If this goes through you'll be getting one hell of a player and someone I'll be very sorry to see leave. He wants to play in the World Cup, though, and like Cech he has a young family he doesn't want to uproot. That's fair. 

I'd be interested to see how he fits into Conte's plans. He or someone at Chelsea obviously wants a target man (and there've been suggestions that Giroud's strengths didn't always suit Arsenal's style of play) but he's a lot more than that. The fact that he's not the fastest runner too often leads him to being labelled as just slow but his rapid footwork has been at the centre of some of Arsenal's best team play over the past few seasons.

 

This is an interesting signing for the Chels. Typically supporting whatever club is playing the Arsenal, but Giroud is the one guy I always feared (not against Chelsea of course, as I think he only scored one goal against the Blues). He always seemed to show up with the late goal to draw even or the winner in other matches. He has size and skill. He can play in the Champions League matches this year as well as the FA. 

I have always respected Giroud's skill and I agree with your thoughts.

Come on you Chelsea!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Squiggle said:

Hello all, Arsenal fan here. If this goes through you'll be getting one hell of a player and someone I'll be very sorry to see leave. He wants to play in the World Cup, though, and like Cech he has a young family he doesn't want to uproot. That's fair. 

I'd be interested to see how he fits into Conte's plans. He or someone at Chelsea obviously wants a target man (and there've been suggestions that Giroud's strengths didn't always suit Arsenal's style of play) but he's a lot more than that. The fact that he's not the fastest runner too often leads him to being labelled as just slow but his rapid footwork has been at the centre of some of Arsenal's best team play over the past few seasons.

 

You must be the most rational speaking arsenal fan we've ever had on this forum. Are you sure your an arsenal fan? lol.

I think he suits us better than arsenal, and with morata struggling for form, he will get plenty of games I think. 

Given the choice i would rather have lacazette and aubameyang, than morata and giroud though, so I'm guessing you lot are pretty happy with how it's all turned out after Sanchez left. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, curious. Everyone happy with Giroud, considering he is the backup to Morata as opposed to Dzeko? Or did you prefer Dzeko? 

I realize neither is a huge addition, but either would be a nice addition and they can occasionally start. I am fine with either and am happy with Giroud.

Do you think we might see Giroud and Morata up top together occasionally?

- - - - - - - - Courtois - - - - - - - 

- - Cahill - Christensen - Dave - -

Moses - Willian/Cesc -Kante- Alonso

- - - - - - - - - Hazard - - - - - - -

- - - - Giroud - - - - Morata - - - -

Why not? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chelsea Buzz said:

So, curious. Everyone happy with Giroud, considering he is the backup to Morata as opposed to Dzeko? Or did you prefer Dzeko? 

I realize neither is a huge addition, but either would be a nice addition and they can occasionally start. I am fine with either and am happy with Giroud.

Do you think we might see Giroud and Morata up top together occasionally?

- - - - - - - - Courtois - - - - - - - 

- - Cahill - Christensen - Dave - -

Moses - Willian/Cesc -Kante- Alonso

- - - - - - - - - Hazard - - - - - - -

- - - - Giroud - - - - Morata - - - -

Why not? 

Giroud and Morata are too similar in their style of play. If we were to go with 2 up front, then i would much rather see Batshuayi and Morata together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chelsea Buzz said:

So, curious. Everyone happy with Giroud, considering he is the backup to Morata as opposed to Dzeko? Or did you prefer Dzeko? 

I realize neither is a huge addition, but either would be a nice addition and they can occasionally start. I am fine with either and am happy with Giroud.

Do you think we might see Giroud and Morata up top together occasionally?

- - - - - - - - Courtois - - - - - - - 

- - Cahill - Christensen - Dave - -

Moses - Willian/Cesc -Kante- Alonso

- - - - - - - - - Hazard - - - - - - -

- - - - Giroud - - - - Morata - - - -

Why not? 

Don't think conte will play that formation, and I also don't see morata and giroud as a good partnership. Both very similar. 

Prefer giroud to dzeko considering the price, and hopefully the ease in which he will settle. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!