Welcome Emerson Palmieri!

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Chilwell is head and shoulders above where Emerson will ever be. He was awful today. I feared for us every time the ball went out wide, too many times he got backed into his own box far too easily by Mahrez. I imagine Lampard is probably thinking that with the benefit of hindsight he’d have moved Azpi to LB. 

18 minutes ago, sabin6912 said:

Chilwell is head and shoulders above where Emerson will ever be. He was awful today. I feared for us every time the ball went out wide, too many times he got backed into his own box far too easily by Mahrez. I imagine Lampard is probably thinking that with the benefit of hindsight he’d have moved Azpi to LB. 

Form me we do have an outstanding Left back. Which is Dave. Dave is a very good center back, a decent right back but is top class at Left back imo.

Recce James had Zaha in his pocket, am afraid it was a bad call on Lamps part to bring Dave in for Reece rather than on the left.

Recently back from injury and had to come up against the best attack in the league, possibly even the world.

Up until his last injury he was playing brilliantly and one of the top performers at LB in the league, lets not be fickle and call for his head after one game ffs. It always happens on this forum when someone has a stinker.

55 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Recently back from injury and had to come up against the best attack in the league, possibly even the world.

Up until his last injury he was playing brilliantly and one of the top performers at LB in the league, lets not be fickle and call for his head after one game ffs. It always happens on this forum when someone has a stinker.

I wouldn't completely bench him and play Azpilicueta, I'm hoping it was just one of those games. His pace seemed fine he just kept making errors on both ends, I'm hoping it is a case of him being rusty. I know injuries play a factor here, and he's had plenty of them, but I was hoping this season he would showcase what he's all about. He's finally been given the starter status and he can put all the doubts to bed, because we've seen quality from him before, however, that type of game is Alonso level, it was disappointing to see. 

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Fair 

2 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

I never really thought he was playing that good before the injury, I thought the praise he was getting was a bit over blown. I haven't seen one outstanding performance from him yet.

I won't write him off yet, it's too early for that, but I think he does need to do more to guarantee a spot in the starting 11.

People are a bit harsh on Emerson. I get it, he didn't do well but keep in mind that Kovacic never ever covered his area when Man City scored, both times he was not present at all and that's just not the way any bigger team plays.
To leave a good player like Mahrez in a 1v1 situation is a dream come true for Guardiola...Pulisic for example was marked by several players, you can argue that tactically Emerson was already beaten right before Mahrez got the pass.

And the finish was just brutal but this is what you would expect for a top player, to finish those kind of chances. Still had Tomori reacted just a bit faster, maybe he could have blocked that shot. It just shows how the ball moves so quickly when Man City is playing, lose focus for a minute and you'll be taking the ball out of the net. They are automatic when it comes to taking advantage in open spaces, I doubt that Chilwell would have done anything more than Emerson. Prior to this game Emerson was among the top 3 left-backs.

Edited by Gol15

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

People are a bit harsh on Emerson. I get it, he didn't do well but keep in mind that Kovacic never ever covered his area when Man City scored, both times he was not present at all and that's just not the way any bigger team plays.
To leave a good player like Mahrez in a 1v1 situation is a dream come true for Guardiola...Pulisic for example was marked by several players, you can argue that tactically Emerson was already beaten right before Mahrez got the pass.

And the finish was just brutal but this is what you would expect for a top player, to finish those kind of chances. Still had Tomori reacted just a bit faster, maybe he could have blocked that shot. It just shows how the ball moves so quickly when Man City is playing, lose focus for a minute and you'll be taking the ball out of the net. They are automatic when it comes to taking advantage in open spaces, I doubt that Chilwell would have done anything more than Emerson. Prior to this game Emerson was among the top 3 left-backs.

That was definitely more Emerson than it was Kovacic... Emerson is the left back he has to show a player like Mahrez onto his right foot and he didn't do that, he allowed him to cut inside very easily, it's not the first we've seen this from Emerson. Kovacic definitely could've assisted more but Emerson has to take most of the blame for bad defending. 

13 minutes ago, Slojo said:

That was definitely more Emerson than it was Kovacic... Emerson is the left back he has to show a player like Mahrez onto his right foot and he didn't do that, he allowed him to cut inside very easily, it's not the first we've seen this from Emerson. Kovacic definitely could've assisted more but Emerson has to take most of the blame for bad defending. 

Emerson shaped up his body as if to say, you can go to the goal line, but your not cutting inside, to which Mahrez strolled inside and left Emerson in a spin, he beat him so comfortably he allowed himself a huge amount of space to tuck in the goal, Emerson may as well not have even been there.

4 hours ago, Slojo said:

Emerson takes the blame that much is clear but Mahrez has done those type of goals many times, thats how good he is, which is why my argument is that the 1v1 situations need to be avoidable as much as possible. A top player like Mahrez can get away from 1 defender and make it look like it's too easy.

This is why it's also crucial to point out that Kovacic was behind the action and not covering that area, someone needed to offer support for Emerson, also Tomori not going forward to help out ended in him getting the shot through his legs, that's 2 players that were too late. A tactically bad defending as a team.

It doesn’t have to be Chilwell, who would be so expensive, I’d just love it if we can find a top class LB out of nowhere - Like Ivanovic. It really is a shame we didn’t have any young left backs in academy who are ready to step up.

I hope we’ve started scouting for a LB and a CB. I love Zouma and Tomori but if I got to be brutally honest, we need better players.

42 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

It doesn’t have to be Chilwell, who would be so expensive, I’d just love it if we can find a top class LB out of nowhere - Like Ivanovic. It really is a shame we didn’t have any young left backs in academy who are ready to step up.

I hope we’ve started scouting for a LB and a CB. I love Zouma and Tomori but if I got to be brutally honest, we need better players.

The problem is there is a shortage of top quality players around to buy and when one player does come available we are battling with several clubs to get them. And we end up missing out and signing our 4th choice target who in the end isn't good enough.

Think its a bit unfair to all of a sudden call him terrible and complain after just 1 bad performance, almost every other game we've seen him this season he has been great.

Though it does raise some concerns, im sure he can bounce back as hes shown he does have the quality but today was definitely poor.

Not sure if signing Chilwell is the answer as well, sure he looks good for Leicester but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a perfect fit for us.

Think Dave at LB would have had a better game than Emerson, and I think RJ is more than ready to be starting games regularly now

On 24/11/2019 at 06:18, axman2526 said:

Form me we do have an outstanding Left back. Which is Dave. Dave is a very good center back, a decent right back but is top class at Left back imo.

Recce James had Zaha in his pocket, am afraid it was a bad call on Lamps part to bring Dave in for Reece rather than on the left.

Dave was a top-class defensive left-back from 2014 - 2016, but never offered much going forward, and is going to offer even less now.

When he played left back he had 3 assists and 3 big chances created in each of the 14/15 and 15/16 seasons.  In comparison someone like Andrew Robertson has 11 assists and created 15 chances last season, while not being too much worse defensively.  

The game has advanced in the last few years and we can't afford to have a black hole on offense at the full-back position.  Using Dave as a left back today makes us too predictable on offense imo.

Edited by Whiskyjack

14 minutes ago, ducavis said:

I will Never understand why he is highly rated by fans. 

Don't you know? Because he is quicker than Alonso and he looks like a brazilian. 

I mean he rarely plays so we never really got a look how he is on a consistent basis. Some just still have hopes for him, for me he doesn't have the spark to be a winner/fighter. 

17 minutes ago, Gentian said:

According to those statistics alonso is better than chilwell. 

Palmieri just came back from injury lets give him some time. 

I know some stats are a bit tricky to read but the point i wanted to make is not to  show how "good" Alonso is or anything just that the stats suggest there is nothing special about Emerson. He is just a fine player but according to some people on here, he is the solution and rave on how good he was for the first few games he played. 

Yes he just came back from injury but he always comes back from an injury, you can't count on him to stay fit which makes it also more difficult for him. 

Also we make less crosses than Chilwell by half nearly. Do our LB not cross enough or are these instructions from Lampard?  I haven't really watched Leicester this season so i can't say. 

2 hours ago, Nevamind said:

Came across those stats on reddit. 

bc2c046.jpg

Alonso looks like the best of the 3, specially taking in consideration the minutes played. Maybe we should reconsider selling Alonso and sell Emerson instead and then buy another left back? Still not Chilwell though, not convinced, Chilwell looks like he can't win a duel half the time.

This is from the Premier League stats as well:

Emerson:

Recoveries:42

Duels won:45

Duels lost:18

Successful 50/50s: 8

Aerial battles won: 10

Aerial battles lost: 7

Chilwell:

Recoveries: 73

Duels won: 54

Duels lost: 51

Successful 50/50s: 6

Aerial battles won: 23

Aerial battles lost: 16

Emerson played less than 10 games but he has won 45 duels and lost 18, while Chilwell has won 54 duels and lost 51 of them, but then again he has more recoveries.

For some reason Emerson doesn't cross the ball but he looks like a stable defensive left back and has a good passing percentage. I thought Chilwell isn't that good but now I'm guessing he could be much better in some segments of the game than Emerson so I probably had the wrong idea about Chilwell, if he just gets better in duels he would be a great investment even if his price tag is high. 

That being said, Emerson has a 61% tackle success, Chilwell 57%, and even if Emerson doesn't put in many crosses, he has made 27 accurate long balls compared to Chilwell's 16.

So, right now they look like they are "similar" in many ways, not so much difference between them, but if we had Chilwell right now, I dare to say he would probably be worse in defensive tasks, which is what we kind of lack at the moment anyway so...maybe we should see how Chilwell looks by the end of the season before jumping in his bandwagon.
But the potential that Chilwell has? Well that may sway a lot of people into thinking that we should buy him.