Alvaro Morata

coco
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I have been reluctant to compare Morata to Torres because his positioning is much better, but like Torres he doesn't appear to be able to finish his own lunch at present and he also seems traumatised by the memory of past misses, again much like his older compatriot.

For use off the bench only before we inevitably sell, very likely in the next off-season. 

I don't think Morata wants to be in London, never really looked like he thought Chelsea was going to be more than a stepping stone. And I agree about the attitude. Firmino isn't scoring a lot of goals but he works his guts out.

He is  fast enough, has the touch and can score but doesn't very often. Does next to nothing in defence and doesn't really look like part of the team. in the end its not enough. I do think there is a player in there, but not in a  Chelsea shirt.

Edited by ozboy

I was really hoping to see Morata light up the league but I honestly feel the pressure of being a leading striker for a top team is too much to ask from him and unfortunately he's not really improving... His first touch is almost non-existent (at times), and for a pretty big lad, he's too easily bullied off of the ball. I can only imagine the mental toughness a Premier League striker has to have or any Premier League player for that matter. I guess it's highlighted more for strikers if they're not scoring but he just looks as if he has given up. As others have said, we need a new striker asap but who's really up for grabs without paying through the roof?..

Can't see a future for him at the club right now. 

He looks completely disinterested at the minute, just seems angry the whole time he's on the pitch... But not a focused aggression like Diego had, just a sort of "f**k this" body language. 

Weird rumours of Barca being interested in him (no idea why they'd want to sign him?). But even if it is only a loan initially maybe it's going to be best if he goes in January. 

Even if we have to play with Hazard as the false 9 for the remainder of the season, so be it. Might lead to more chance and minutes for CHO in the first team and although he's pretty rough around the edges at the minute at least he's going to give it his all. 

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

e looks completely disinterested at the minut

He’s looked completely disinterested for over a year now.
Didn’t think it would get to this point but I’d take Chelsea-Torres over Morata any day of the week now. At least Torres worked hard and made an effort.

Morata looks and plays like he can’t wait for the game to end so he can go back to his comfy apartment and hide there until he “has” to play again.

1 hour ago, Slojo said:

LOL you're joking right? He gave Anelka a good run for his money when it came to sulking, giving up and walking around.

Funny that you say that because Anelka at Chelsea was actually as hard-working, committed and professional as he ever would be. 

I remember that he spent much of his time at Chelsea playing on the right-wing without too much complaint. 

Edited by DaRick

6 minutes ago, DaRick said:

Funny that you say that because Anelka at Chelsea was actually as hard-working, committed and professional as he ever would be. 

I remember that he spent much of his time at Chelsea playing on the right-wing without much complaint. 

His nickname was literally le sulk... And I'm not talking specifically about his Chelsea career, he definitely had his best career here and longest career here. Every other club he could barely last a season there. 

1 minute ago, Slojo said:

His nickname was literally le sulk... And I'm not talking specifically about his Chelsea career, he definitely had his best career here and longest career here. Every other club he could barely last a season there. 

Oh I'm not disputing that; I'm just noting the irony that Anelka made an effort to look at least somewhat committed, hard-working and professional at Chelsea.

He didn't cut a frustrated, traumatised figure the way that Torres did while they were both playing for this club.  

4 minutes ago, DaRick said:

Oh I'm not disputing that; I'm just noting the irony that Anelka made an effort to look at least somewhat committed, hard-working and professional at Chelsea.

He didn't cut a frustrated, traumatised figure the way that Torres did while they were both playing for this club.  

I really don't see how people can honestly say Torres was a trier, they must have missed all those games where he was sulking and giving up. 

People make up a lot of stuff about Torres when he was here, he was decent under Rafa and decent under Jose for a few months, other than that his effort levels were incredibly weak and so was he as a player. 

I had high hopes for morata, and I think I could put up with falling about, and the moaning, if he was just a reliable finisher.

It's not an exaggeration to suggest he should've scored at least 20 more goals so far in his chelsea career, and if he had, I think most of us would be happy with him. 

He might be the worse finisher I've seen up front for us. 

When he went down injured, my first thought was, I hope it's not serious, because we won't be able to sell him. 

Torres and Shevchenko were still worse, but both have the excuse of their body being part of the problem. 

I don't know who we need to replace him, but we need someone, because giroud doesn't cut it for me either.

5 minutes ago, Slojo said:

I really don't see how people can honestly say Torres was a trier, they must have missed all those games where he was sulking and giving up. 

People make up a lot of stuff about Torres when he was here, he was decent under Rafa and decent under Jose for a few months, other than that his effort levels were incredibly weak and so was he as a player. 

Something something PTSD. 

There's a tendency to look back on the past with nostalgic rose-coloured glasses, so many Chelsea fans remember the Torres who scored against Barcelona, Shakhtar, Benfica and Bayern, rather than the utterly ineffective Torres who in the Premier League generally couldn't hit the side of a barn door and who too often hid out on the wing rather than getting into good scoring positions. 

5 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Apparently we already have. Didn't he say recently he was with a psychologist all summer?

Yeah he did say that he had seen someone.

Just looked up the story, headline reads “Chelsea’s Alvaro Morata seeing psychologist to deal with ‘pressure and emotions’”

From the looks of it, this psychologist said “keep doing what you’re doing, mate”

His attitude and softness, if anything, has gotten worse.

6 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Can't see a future for him at the club right now. 

He looks completely disinterested at the minute, just seems angry the whole time he's on the pitch... But not a focused aggression like Diego had, just a sort of "f**k this" body language. 

Weird rumours of Barca being interested in him (no idea why they'd want to sign him?). But even if it is only a loan initially maybe it's going to be best if he goes in January. 

Even if we have to play with Hazard as the false 9 for the remainder of the season, so be it. Might lead to more chance and minutes for CHO in the first team and although he's pretty rough around the edges at the minute at least he's going to give it his all. 

I don't think it is to do with interest. He just doesn't seem to "catch a break". By this I mean he thinks he needs luck to start scoring. Every small little setback takes him back to a player that can't score to save his life. 

I think he is one of those people who looks at the sky for help. He should analyze his game, improve small things and start playing with more instinct in games. Easier said than done. 

10 hours ago, Nibs said:

Let's retire that No. 29 shirt. Or better still burn it (with Morata still in it!)

Hope his injury is not bad but we do need to get rid of ASAP. I seem to recall @Scott Harris has Morata in his Fantasy Team? You must be devastated Scott!!

I did have him, but I ditched him towards the end of September I think. The damage was done though and things aren't improving even with him out of my team. I'm having my worst Fantasy Football season yet :biggrin:

6 hours ago, evissy said:

I don't think it is to do with interest. He just doesn't seem to "catch a break". By this I mean he thinks he needs luck to start scoring. Every small little setback takes him back to a player that can't score to save his life. 

I think he is one of those people who looks at the sky for help. He should analyze his game, improve small things and start playing with more instinct in games. Easier said than done. 

It doesn't matter, if you can't cut it when the going gets tough then you're always going to be inconsistent and have bad patches, tough times always come and you make your own luck as a forward. 

This is ultimately why I've given up on Morata as a player, I accepted a dry 2nd half of his first season, but his performances have been unacceptable, he's proven his original critics correct.