coco

Alvaro Morata

On 01/01/2019 at 22:05, Scott Harris said:

:biggrin: Where are people getting this "Torres gave 100%" from? Torres rarely ever gave 100%, the guy had his shoulders slumped almost every game he played for us.

If we’re honest he didn’t really even give 100% for that goal against Barca. He lost the ball just outside our box and just kept jogging upfield. It just so happened it worked out for both him and us.

2 minutes ago, Zola said:

He has been an utterly depressing signing. So poor! 

In fact the last five strikers we have spent money on have all been shocking investments. Morata, Giroud, Michy, Falcao, Pato.

Giroud who some say is the best buy out of that bunch has scored 4 league goals in 29 games for us. That says it all really.

Not his best day yesterday, but still had a perfectly good goal disallowed. We've been very unlucky with some of the decisions we've received this season, it'd be nice for a little bit of luck to go our way for once!

1 hour ago, Zola said:

Giroud I think can come good with time.

Giroud has to have one of the most comfortable jobs in the world. He can go through a world cup, playing for by far the best team in the world who won the Cup based on great defensive performances and individual attacking prowess, not register a single shot on target, and still be heavily praised. In the modern game of football, where both mental and physical pace in combination are so important, Giroud is more or less a dinosaur. It's not really about what he has, because he's decent at his niche, it's what he doesn't have, which is everything else. He isn't quick enough to get his shot off regardless of where he's at on the pitch, he isn't quick enough to get on the end of crosses, he isn't quick enough to stretch the opposition and create space for team mates, he isn't quick enough to press effectively.

When Conte wanted his target man, whether that was Llorente, Benteke, Giroud or another big lummox, that was the moment I saw no future for him at our club. As a club, we've gone from being the underdogs to becoming a force in European football. Conte's ancient vision of what a striker should be; you'd be hard pressed to find a team in the last 15 years who's succeeded with that sort of striker up front. The Horst Hrubesch's of the world doesn't work anymore. Not because they aren't there, but because football is played at such a pace that they can't keep up. Defenders are slowly becoming sprinters, and gone are the days where the likes of Steve Bruce and Gary Pallister could patrol the 18 yard box at a walking pace.

It's actually kind of funny, because Giroud and Morata represents two complete opposites. For all the grief I am giving to Giroud, he truly does give his all. He's a cult hero in that sense. His problem is that his 100% is 50% too little. Morata on the other hand, gives 50%, when his 100% would probably have been good enough. They are both crap, just in their own, unique way.

Sevilla Director Joaquin Caparros when questioned about their interest in Alvaro Morata - “We are working on many names. The important thing is that the player wants to come to Sevilla”.

Thank god, he's leaving.

6 hours ago, Zola said:

true, whoever pulls the trigger on those should take a back seat....maybe listen to the manager?

Giroud I think can come good with time.

Agreed, I like Giroud, he's a good honest pro and puts in all the effort we expect of him, and he was an excellent link up player for Hazard in the early parts of the season. Giroud plays that Firmino role, he enables the other attackers around him with his hold up play and neat touches. The problem is, he's just not quite got the pace and killer instinct Firmino has. And we haven't had that killer instinct since Costa really. If Morata goes i'll wish him well, but i'll be happy to be shot of him. He's just not able for this pressure and this league. 

The board need to back Sarri if they want to get Sarriball rolling properly. What we're seeing is not Sarriball, it's Sarriball but slower, less well drilled due to no pre-season, and with no finishers to put away teams. 

43 minutes ago, JMaher94 said:

Sevilla Director Joaquin Caparros when questioned about their interest in Alvaro Morata - “We are working on many names. The important thing is that the player wants to come to Sevilla”.

Thank god, he's leaving.

This one may have gotten lost in translation. 

I read this as as 

"We're looking at a lot of options, but the most important thing of that group is that we get we get a player who wants to be at Sevilla"

That said, I'll be stunned if Morata is at Chelsea on February 1st. But I dont think Caparros was referencing Morata directly. 

8 minutes ago, Skinnedy said:

This one may have gotten lost in translation. 

I read this as as 

"We're looking at a lot of options, but the most important thing of that group is that we get we get a player who wants to be at Sevilla"

That said, I'll be stunned if Morata is at Chelsea on February 1st. But I dont think Caparros was referencing Morata directly. 

A couple of journalists on twitter have said he wants the move so I was only going by what they say, apologies.

Really thought we'd got ourselves a world class striker when he first signed, was scoring regular at the start and putting in good performances early on in the season. Since then he's been terrible, his attitude stinks and really looks like he couldn't give a sh*t, granted the service to him hasn't been great there's simply no excuse for the lack of effort and falling over arms flailing every time he gets the ball.

5 minutes ago, JMaher94 said:

A couple of journalists on twitter have said he wants the move so I was only going by what they say, apologies.

I have no doubt he wants to move. I'm just the pessimistic sort, and am not as hopeful he was talking directly about Morata. 

Like I said though, I'll be shocked if Morata is still with the team at the end of this window. 

Would ve excellent if we sorted this in January. Maybe to replace him with this guy https://www.transfermarkt.com/callum-wilson/profil/spieler/123682

There is no way around it Morata's been a flop. I don't think we need another striker who has this fragile mind. We have experienced Torres already. 

I can't blame Morata for not trying but if we want to win anything we need a striker that can score. 

2 hours ago, evissy said:

I can't blame Morata for not trying but if we want to win anything we need a striker that can score. 

I do blame him for not adapting and learning how to play in the EPL  . It was clear Ref's had his card marked very early on as a faker and he needed to be taken out by the neck to get a free kick ... but he still went to ground far to easy every game ... 

Where are people getting this "Torres gave 100%" from? Torres rarely ever gave 100%, the guy had his shoulders slumped almost every game he played for us.
Maybe initially when things wasn't going his way and the criticism was much, he was depressed and couldn't give 100%, but his last 2 seasons with us, I remembered him as someone who actually tried to prove his doubters wrong!

6 minutes ago, wallosh said:
On 01/01/2019 at 22:05, Scott Harris said:
emoji3.png Where are people getting this "Torres gave 100%" from? Torres rarely ever gave 100%, the guy had his shoulders slumped almost every game he played for us.

Maybe initially when things wasn't going his way and the criticism was much, he was depressed and couldn't give 100%, but his last 2 seasons with us, I remembered him as someone who actually tried to prove his doubters wrong!

I think you remember wrongly. He spent most of every game wandering around with his head down, barely even attempting to put defenders under pressure or make runs. He didnt even want the ball.

Torres workrate wasn't bad. At least towards the end under Benitez and Mourinho.

He wouldn't have played as much as he did under Jose if his attitude and workrate wasn't up to par.

Yes, it's offside and yes he scored 2 goals against Nottingham Forest today.

But still... how on earth did Morata to make such a ridiculous miss on an open goal.

https://streamable.com/r1uoq

I find Morata such a tough player to like, even with the two goals scored today. It's his attitude that annoys me. He scores twice and still acts like a sulky kid. Celebrate it Alvaro, stop sulking. If he's not going to show that care on the pitch then the fans will never take to him.

He has no f**king reason to sulk.......we should be sulking not him. Has been given countless chances but its the same old everytime. I know people say hindsight and all that, but im still adament summer was the time to sell him, his stock has only gone down and will continue so.