Jump to content

Alvaro Morata


Recommended Posts

Just now, Kentonio said:

Under no circumstances should we ever even consider buying Mariano. I watched probably 85% of Lyon games last year, and even with the lower standard of football over there I spent most of those games laughing at how painfully sh*t he is. Don't be fooled by the 18 goals he somehow managed to steal last year, he's a dreadful footballer and would be completely embarrased in the PL.

Would be a like for like swap for Morata then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, chokosc said:

I don't understand all the hate coming towards him. He started the season in a good way but his injury, suspension and Conte didn't allow him to continue that. I am hoping that we don't ditch him now to regret it in two seasons. Get him playing, rotate with Michy and we should be good.

How did he start in a good way other than his headed goals? 

Is Sarri just going to fire crosses into the box for him to nod it in? I don't think so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RIP Mourinho said:

How did he start in a good way other than his headed goals? 

Is Sarri just going to fire crosses into the box for him to nod it in? I don't think so.

He got goals and that is what matters after all. He needs to work on his finishing, and being offside too much but he has quality.

With a manager that believes in him, and hard training he will be a great player. Conte basically gave up on him and destroyed his confidence.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, chokosc said:

Conte basically gave up on him and destroyed his confidence.

Conte tied Moratas laces together, that's why he kept falling over. He put oil on his boots, so his shots went askew. 

Yeah blame Conte.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, chokosc said:

He got goals and that is what matters after all. He needs to work on his finishing, and being offside too much but he has quality.

With a manager that believes in him, and hard training he will be a great player. Conte basically gave up on him and destroyed his confidence.

Conte destroyed his confidence? Morata is the player that Conte wanted, why would he give up on the player he wanted. Maybe Conte destroyed Baka's confidence and we should go into next season with Baka starting in CM too. 

Andy Carroll gets goals with his head too, doesn't mean he's good enough for Chelsea.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, coco said:

Conte tied Moratas laces together, that's why he kept falling over. He put oil on his boots, so his shots went askew. 

Yeah blame Conte.

 

Well, I see you disagree with me, and that is 100% fine.

Morata is no Drogba but he looks like he could become a good striker. Who could we get that is better than him now anyways? Why not give him another season, in a different system to try and prove himself? If he flops, sell him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Conte destroyed his confidence? Morata is the player that Conte wanted, why would he give up on the player he wanted. Maybe Conte destroyed Baka's confidence and we should go into next season with Baka starting in CM too. 

Andy Carroll gets goals with his head too, doesn't mean he's good enough for Chelsea.

Just look at how many games he came off the bench late or didn't even play...

Link to post
Share on other sites

To me Morata has talent and is reasonably quick, but he looks like a softie. I was so unimpressed last season with the way he fell over as soon as the going got tough. Lots of players do take time though to adapt to a new league. Maybe he can do better. Right now I much prefer Giroud. He doesn’t score goals either and he’s slower but at least he is tough and up for the fight. Not a long term solution though. 

 

Oh oh yeah the offsides  the missed chances  he just didn’t believe in himself  

 

Edited by ozboy
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, chokosc said:

Well, I see you disagree with me, and that is 100% fine.

Morata is no Drogba but he looks like he could become a good striker. Who could we get that is better than him now anyways? Why not give him another season, in a different system to try and prove himself? If he flops, sell him.

I think a number of us disagree. No way can Conte be blamed for Morata's shocking performances, flopping to the floor constantly, gilt edged changes missed time and time and time again. Let's not forget the glaring headed miss against Arsenal on his debut. The only thing that destroyed his confidence was his own lack of ability which was exposed week in week out. For me Morata seems the typical footballer that has to act instinctively and not with any though behind it. If he doesn't have time to think about it he can finish (generally with his head), but as soon as he thinks about what he is going to do, no chance.

Hopefully under Sarri's tutelage he can just concentrate on staying in and around the 6 yard box and hit everything first time without thinking. The offside issue shouldn't be a problem because the midfielders should be running past the defensive line and cutting the ball back and he doesn't have the game intelligence to be first, always caught on the back foot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Which ever way you look at it. 9 goals in 14 games is a very good start in for a new player in a new league. 

Some of his hold up play in that period was fantastic, and he was linking up well. 

Then the goals dried up, and it was big miss after big miss, and the confidence drained out of his game. 

Since December he has been awful. 

He hasn't been the main guy before and it looks like he can't handle the pressure. I do believe he has the ability, but can we really afford to rely on him again in the big moments this season? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunno. Even accepting the narrative that for some players performance is especially sensitive to confidence levels - Morata was supposed to be doing well at the beginning of last season. I mean, if ever he was gonna be high on confidence - it's then: just got bought for big money, scoring a few goals, some important (vs Man U). Even then - did he feel, like, unstoppable? 

That's what comes to mind when I see comparison with Torres. Torres for a few seasons - not for us sadly - was properly scary. He could destroy anybody. Morata, even at his best, never looked like that. Never made a good defender look completely useless. His goals always felt like relief, not inevitability. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

I think a number of us disagree. No way can Conte be blamed for Morata's shocking performances, flopping to the floor constantly, gilt edged changes missed time and time and time again. Let's not forget the glaring headed miss against Arsenal on his debut. The only thing that destroyed his confidence was his own lack of ability which was exposed week in week out. For me Morata seems the typical footballer that has to act instinctively and not with any though behind it. If he doesn't have time to think about it he can finish (generally with his head), but as soon as he thinks about what he is going to do, no chance.

Hopefully under Sarri's tutelage he can just concentrate on staying in and around the 6 yard box and hit everything first time without thinking. The offside issue shouldn't be a problem because the midfielders should be running past the defensive line and cutting the ball back and he doesn't have the game intelligence to be first, always caught on the back foot.

I agree, he was terrible second half of the season. I am not saying that he was good (he started well) but I think that if he had been given more confidence from the team\manager than it would have been better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We really have made some monumental f**k ups in the transfer window.

Will never happen, but once a player has been targeted the season ticket holders or club members have a vote to see if it sits right with the fans. Yea right :crigon_01:

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

How did he start in a good way other than his headed goals? 

Is Sarri just going to fire crosses into the box for him to nod it in? I don't think so.

9 in 15 is an outrageously good start for a new striker, especially when its his first season in the country. Who cares if he's scoring with his head or his feet or his arse for that matter? He wasn't just scoring from long crosses, he was heading in goals from all over the place. Sarriball isn't long ball, but we weren't playing long ball football under Conte at the start of last season either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

MILAN TOLD TO PAY £62M FOR MORATA

Chelsea have told Milan they will have to pay up to £62m for Alvaro Morata after initial negotiations got underway on Wednesday.

Sky Italy believe Milan’s new sporting director, Leonardo, had a series of phone conversations yesterday about a potential transfer, with the player reportedly keen on a return to Italy.

However, the two clubs remain poles apart on their valuations of the player, prompting Milan to retain their interest in bringing Gonzalo Higuain or Radamel Falcao to San Siro.

The 25-year old striker joined Chelsea last summer from Real Madrid for an initial £57m, with the job of replacing Diego Costa.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You never know with Batshuayi. Really hard to predict how he’d do under Sarri

Giroud is just a standard 7/10 striker, nothing special but you know he will be decent. If we really want to win the league then we’ll need a high class striker and Higuain can be the answer for a season or two.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...