coco

Alvaro Morata

2 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

a load of sh*t basically. 

Someone has apparently worked out how many goals an average striker should score with the opportunities they have during a game. A striker should be either hitting or doing better than their xG.

As for chance creation stats its a load of bollocks like a player passing a ball two inches to their right that allowed the player to shoot, thus 'creating a chance'. 

It usually balances itself out during the course of the season though. Every player gets those two yard passes that count as created chances. Chances created basically means that you passed the ball to somebody who then takes a shot. And odds are that the more often a player shoots after your passes, the more often your passes get players in good positions to shoot. It's not perfect by any means and doesn't tell you anything about the quality of chances created, but it gives you an indication. So I don't think it should be discarded completely

1 hour ago, True Blue23 said:

It usually balances itself out during the course of the season though. Every player gets those two yard passes that count as created chances. Chances created basically means that you passed the ball to somebody who then takes a shot. And odds are that the more often a player shoots after your passes, the more often your passes get players in good positions to shoot. It's not perfect by any means and doesn't tell you anything about the quality of chances created, but it gives you an indication. So I don't think it should be discarded completely

Yeah, but only if the play is expansive.

11 hours ago, bluedave said:

Don't be daft, coconuts are not more dangerous than sharks. This is not a point I thought I'd ever have to argue, even on here.

If you're joking then I apologise, but it does seem to me that you are serious.

Coconut:

image.png

Shark:

image.png

(images not to scale)

Coconuts are deadly when falling from trees, don't see to many  Gt Whites up a palm tree!

On 12/08/2018 at 11:12, DiegoCostaForever said:

I can‘t get my head around the fact that we didn‘t dispose of Morata. He is a total failure and a bad excuse for a striker. 

We had Diego, ManUtd got Lukaku and we end up with one of the worst strikers. I hope he is kicked out of the squad because of what he is: garbage 

On SKY Sports mix I have just watched the Didier Drogba 100+ goal tribute show. It reminded me in100+ ways how much better Drogba was than Diego Joker. Touch, strength, mentality, technique, heading, passing, shooting, scoring, defending. In fact there is not one single facet of the game where Costa was better. Fact.

5 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

a load of sh*t basically. 

Someone has apparently worked out how many goals an average striker should score with the opportunities they have during a game. A striker should be either hitting or doing better than their xG.

As for chance creation stats its a load of bollocks like a player passing a ball two inches to their right that allowed the player to shoot, thus 'creating a chance'. 

Ahh..... got it!!! That was why so many people on here rated Torres. It was his xG.

1 hour ago, just said:

On SKY Sports mix I have just watched the Didier Drogba 100+ goal tribute show. It reminded me in100+ ways how much better Drogba was than Diego Joker. Touch, strength, mentality, technique, heading, passing, shooting, scoring, defending. In fact there is not one single facet of the game where Costa was better. Fact.

Is anyone actually saying Costa was better than Drogba?

Drogba was a legend but since his first departure Costa is easily the best striker we have had since then. 

9 hours ago, just said:

Drogba was by far our best striker we've ever had at this club, especially in his prime. 

Diego was the best goal scorer we've ever had, I think if you had Diego here for as long as Drogba Diego would have had more goals scored for the club, but the team probably wouldn't have scored as many. Drogba's influence of bringing players into the game and needing 2 defenders to mark him all the time was a nightmare for the opposition. So many defenders used to say Drogba was their hardest man they've ever had to defend against, Carragher & Koscielny I remember off the top of my head. Always went along similar lines, he's strong and skilful, once he's ahead of you that's it, you can't get the ball off him. 

I think Morata is already a better footballer than Costa, I think far too many people on here have short memories of Diego's play. Diego also used to get let off the hook a lot because he ended up scoring when he would give the ball away about 30 times in good positions (especially counter attacks holy f**k). But Diego's mentality was brilliant on the field, off the field not so much, and his antics could be costly in games. But he would never put his head down, used to fight and fight and fight. As for Drogba, he had a few seasons where I would like to forget a majority of his games. And Morata especially looks like he lacks a mentality compared to those two. 

1 hour ago, Ready Player One said:

no offence, but you are aware of the history of this club, yes? 

Post Abramovich I meant, my bad. 

I wasn't alive during the Dixon and Greaves era sadly. 

We have always had issues with the striker position. If we had bought Aguero in 2011 we would have won at least another league title maybe more. Drogba as good as he was as a big game player only twice scored 20+ goals in 8 seasons for us. 

6 minutes ago, enigma said:

We have always had issues with the striker position. If we had bought Aguero in 2011 we would have won at least another league title maybe more. Drogba as good as he was as a big game player only twice scored 20+ goals in 8 seasons for us. 

It's so easy to forget when we had players like Frank scoring so many from midfield.

8 minutes ago, Malcolm9 said:

It's so easy to forget when we had players like Frank scoring so many from midfield.

It's exactly what we miss. A goal scoring midfielder and a 20+ goal a season striker. Not easy to find I know, but if you have either one, especially a 20+ goal a season striker, it makes it so much easier to win the league. 

8 minutes ago, enigma said:

It's exactly what we miss. A goal scoring midfielder and a 20+ goal a season striker. Not easy to find I know, but if you have either one, especially a 20+ goal a season striker, it makes it so much easier to win the league. 

That's why City found it so easy last season, they have multiple goal scorers and it makes a huge difference.

If we can get more goals across the team under Sarri's style we can challenge for the league.

18 minutes ago, enigma said:

Of course we miss our all time top goal scorer, we cant really expect to see that amount of goals from midfield ever again in our lifetime, that's what makes it so special.

Two midfielders sharing 20+ goals a season is more of a realistic target atm, but i think even that's pushing it with what we have got and the system we play with 3 up top.

All our free kicks and pens are taken by defenders and forwards, that says a lot.

2 hours ago, coco said:

Of course we miss our all time top goal scorer, we cant really expect to see that amount of goals from midfield ever again in our lifetime, that's what makes it so special.

Two midfielders sharing 20+ goals a season is more of a realistic target atm, but i think even that's pushing it with what we have got and the system we play with 3 up top.

All our free kicks and pens are taken by defenders and forwards, that says a lot.

We never used to have wingers putting in the kinds of numbers we expect now though. Obviously it'd be amazing to have another 20 goal midfielder, but at least now we have at least one winger we can hope for that from.

The difference between a title challenge and aiming for top 4. People say give him another chance, ok then. As long as we finish top 4 and we get rid of him next season so we can challenge for the title again. This guy isn't scoring 20 goals a season anytime soon for us. Cant afford to carry passengers in the team. Alonso cant save our ass every game with last minute winners. Prefer Giroud to start. 

When Hazard gets on the ball in or near the penalty area, defenders are terrified, you can see the panic, 2-3 at a time will go for him.

When Morata gets on the ball the same defenders get the picnic hamper out. Some people think the team are responsible for not setting him up with tap-ins. Sack the team.

It's worse when we play teams who wont have the ball for long periods, (that will be the norm this season), so expect more of those AWOL performances and "we created nothing for him" excuses.

Why doesn't he take penalties ? Any striker worth their salt takes penalties.

I fear only a losing run will end this experiment. Keep Alvaro fresh for Europe, see if he can ignite his game in that tournament, then play Giroud and Tammy in the league, give it two months and then reevaluate. Don't get bogged down with the same old problem of trying to ignite a striker in the league games.

Okay, so i am going to lift my head above the parapet and open myself up to be shot down in flames.

Under this system we very rarely cross the ball for headers in open play. This guy just doesn't have it with the ball at his feet. There are championship strikers that are more natural than he is. The only thing he can do now and again is head the ball.

Furthermore, with this system, there are certain occasions when Hazard can overplay by holding on to the ball a bit too long.

When Kovacic is fully up to speed, we could try Hazard up top with Kovacic on the left hand side.

I know we have played Hazard as a false 9 before, but that was a different system. If we are threading the ball through anyway there is no reason why Hazard can't take the CF spot. He can still drop deep and run at players when it suits him as well.

By dropping Morata and putting Hazard up top, it allows for Barkley or Willian to also be included in the midfield.

Are we really having a go at him for playing against 9 men in the box? He really didn't do anything wrong in the game besides that one touch he made in the box. Yes not decisive enough but pick the time to criticise him fellas, this one isn't it, I would not have expected any striker to score in this game, everyone in the team struggled to break through, that's not down to Morata. 

4 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

Okay, so i am going to lift my head above the parapet and open myself up to be shot down in flames.

Under this system we very rarely cross the ball for headers in open play. This guy just doesn't have it with the ball at his feet. There are championship strikers that are more natural than he is. The only thing he can do now and again is head the ball.

Furthermore, with this system, there are certain occasions when Hazard can overplay by holding on to the ball a bit too long.

When Kovacic is fully up to speed, we could try Hazard up top with Kovacic on the left hand side.

I know we have played Hazard as a false 9 before, but that was a different system. If we are threading the ball through anyway there is no reason why Hazard can't take the CF spot. He can still drop deep and run at players when it suits him as well.

By dropping Morata and putting Hazard up top, it allows for Barkley or Willian to also be included in the midfield.

So now it's not Fernando Torres, he's actually worse than a Championship player. I wonder what it will be next week. 

On 25/08/2018 at 08:04, enigma said:

Maradona was pimping him to us - I was excited about all the rumors and in the end ? Hi Torres !!!