coco

Alvaro Morata

Usually the first to his defence, but throw the f**king book at him, he was terrible today. This is game where you can rightfully criticise him, head down for 50 minutes, lost the ball, did nothing whatsoever in the box, invisible. 

Giroud came on and won 2 headers in about 30 seconds, he won us that game and broke the deadlock. Has to be our starter now, a real shame that we have to sort out striker situation out again, there's just not a lot of goals in this Chelsea team for how good it looks, I think we are going to need more from Hazard, Willian & Pedro than ever before if we are hoping to finish in the top 4, because Morata can not be relied on. 

Giroud is better even with his feet than morata. Morata was supposed to be this highly technical player and really the only thing technical about his game is the precision in which he flops. 

We will need to revisit our striker come January. 

Edited by TheChelsRVA

Not sure what more we can do to try and coax some sort of form out of him.

It was like night and day when Giroud came on, suddenly there was some movement and presence from out centre forward.

I want Morata to succeed but he ain’t half making it hard to root for him. You just get the impression moments like the Arsenal goal are going to be few and far between. 

He was poor today, we put loads of decent crosses in today, and he wasn't even close to getting on the end of one. 

His hold up play was okay, but certainly not as effective as giroud. 

Very suprised Batshuayi didn't stick around, at the very least he gets on the end of things. 

Giroud deserves to start next game, although I do think he is a better impact sub. 

We will have to soldier on with what we've got until January at the earliest, but I think we need to invest in the forward line over the next 2 windows, in order to turn us from a good side, into one of the top 5 in Europe. 

1 hour ago, Slojo said:

Usually the first to his defence, but throw the f**king book at him, he was terrible today. This is game where you can rightfully criticise him, head down for 50 minutes, lost the ball, did nothing whatsoever in the box, invisible. 

Giroud came on and won 2 headers in about 30 seconds, he won us that game and broke the deadlock. Has to be our starter now, a real shame that we have to sort out striker situation out again, there's just not a lot of goals in this Chelsea team for how good it looks, I think we are going to need more from Hazard, Willian & Pedro than ever before if we are hoping to finish in the top 4, because Morata can not be relied on. 

I was all for giving him a chance this season, and I know it's only been 4 games, but I am seeing less from him than I was last season. He's not at Torres levels of bad yet, but he can't be far off now, he's just offering us nothing. He looks totally out of his depth. 

He was always a risky signing, I said it from the day we were interested, I was always worried about his overall quality, and it's a risk that just isn't paying off. 

Why do we so often struggle to find strikers? Drogba and Costa are the only ones that have paid off during Abramovich's era. Crespo was good but couldn't settle, and Anelka's form was patchy. Mutu, Pizarro, Kezman, Torres, Pato, Falcao, Remy, Eto'o, Ba, Shevchenko, Batshuayi (so far) all duds. Sturridge and Lukaku were sold and they were scoring goals. Selling Sturridge and Lukaku isn't really a problem though as long as you replace them with players that can score goals.

6 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I was all for giving him a chance this season, and I know it's only been 4 games, but I am seeing less from him than I was last season. He's not at Torres levels of bad yet, but he can't be far off now, he's just offering us nothing. He looks totally out of his depth. 

He was always a risky signing, I said it from the day we were interested, I was always worried about his overall quality, and it's a risk that just isn't paying off. 

Why do we so often struggle to find strikers? Drogba and Costa are the only ones that have paid off during Abramovich's era. Crespo was good but couldn't settle, and Anelka's form was patchy. Mutu, Pizarro, Kezman, Torres, Pato, Falcao, Remy, Eto'o, Ba, Shevchenko, Batshuayi (so far) all duds. Sturridge and Lukaku were sold and they were scoring goals. Selling Sturridge and Lukaku isn't really a problem though as long as you replace them with players that can score goals.

Our track record of strikers has to be the worst in the top 6 by quite a distance, we've signed a lot of flops. 

1 minute ago, Slojo said:

Our track record of strikers has to be the worst in the top 6 by quite a distance, we've signed a lot of flops. 

I like Icardi, I think he's the type of striker we need. He fights for everything and always finds himself in the right place at the right time. He wouldn't hide like Morata does.......well, I say that now, but you never know how things will go with us :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

I like Icardi, I think he's the type of striker we need. He fights for everything and always finds himself in the right place at the right time. He wouldn't hide like Morata does.......well, I say that now, but you never know how things will go with us :biggrin:

Icardi would be the one for me aswell. He's also captained inter for 3 years now, so he will bring some much needed leadership to the team aswell. 

Inter have started the season poorly, hopefully they miss out on champions league this season, then I think he will look to leave next summer 

My main issue with Morata is he doesn’t seem to do anything with conviction. Everything he does seems to be half arsed, particularly his movement in and around the box. When do you seem him bust a gut and dart to the near post when someone is on the wing, pull off to the back post, or go next to a defender and get his body infront of them so he can be played in? Not sure I ever have. He so reminds me of the Chelsea Torres, but at least Torres seemed to give it his all, Morata ambles around the pitch whining every time he gets touched.

Sell in January. Get us a poacher in the Aguero mould or a selfless workhorse like Firmino. I like Giroud and he offers something different but we don’t necessarily need our no.9 to be great in the air like we did with Conte and previous managers, we rarely play long balls and have a GK with excellent distribution who should rarely need to lump the ball to our centre forward. I’ll hapilly sacrifice aerial prowess for someone who will actually get us some goals. 

I think Sarri is losing patience.  Other than the goal against Arsenal, he’s been invisible up top.   Only gave him an hour yesterday, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Giroud starting after the break.

20 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

I think Sarri is losing patience.  Other than the goal against Arsenal, he’s been invisible up top.   Only gave him an hour yesterday, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Giroud starting after the break.

From his comments, it did sound to me like this was the case.

It is fair to say, Giroud might not be a big goal threat... but what he brings to the team is SO MUCH more then Alvaro. He is a fighter and will bully the defense while also being able to set up his teammates. 

I do not mean to take anything away from Pedro, who scored for us the opening goal, but him working together with Giroud is what broke through the drilled defense of Bournemouth. We simply play so much better with Giroud in the team. He brings to us what Costa and Drogba used to (albeit with a lacking of goals), but that is still Imperious to what Morata brings us. 

When Morata is on the pitch he fails to be a goal scoring threat, but also he lacks being a presence on the field. 

Giroud might not score more then Morata, but YOU KNOW he is on the field and he will be a gladiator against those defenders. He is the battering ram we need for our Wingers and Midfielders. 

3 hours ago, General said:

He’s a flop basically. Stuck with him until January now the club has shipped out Tammy & Bats. More brilliant short & long term planning by the CFC Board. 

That’s the biggest problem for us.  We can’t rely on Giroud to start every game, there’s too many.  Highly unlikely we could sign a difference maker in January.  Could probably sell Morata in January if we wanted to, I guess.  I foresee some false 9 setups in our near future.

4 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

That’s the biggest problem for us.  We can’t rely on Giroud to start every game, there’s too many.  Highly unlikely we could sign a difference maker in January.  Could probably sell Morata in January if we wanted to, I guess.  I foresee some false 9 setups in our near future.

I hope not. It may work better in Sarri's system compared to Conte's, but I don't want Hazard playing through the middle, he just isn't very good at it and we become 10x weaker on the left wing.

Edited by Scott Harris

51 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I hope not. It may work better in Sarri's system compared to Conte's, but I don't want Hazard playing through the middle, he just isn't very good at it and we become 10x weaker on the left wing.

It would be good to try a false#9 again but with Sarri, especially when we have loads of possession, it may pay off against teams that sit back (which has been the case for 75% of our games so far). 

For me the bonus is, we can make room for CHO and drop Morata, pre season CHO looked more dangerous than Morata by a mile, it's hard to stomach having CHO not included in the attack after his pre season.

Kepa

Dave    Rudiger    Christensen   Alonso

Jorginho

Kante   Barkley

Hazard

Pedro                                      CHO

1 hour ago, mwblue10 said:

He does not need to. Just the league games. Morata can start the Europa league and league cup.

18 minutes ago, coco said:

It would be good to try a false#9 again but with Sarri, especially when we have loads of possession, it may pay off against teams that sit back (which has been the case for 75% of our games so far). 

For me the bonus is, we can make room for CHO and drop Morata, pre season CHO looked more dangerous than Morata by a mile, it's hard to stomach having CHO not included in the attack after his pre season.

Kepa

Dave    Rudiger    Christensen   Alonso

Jorginho

Kante   Barkley

Hazard

Pedro                                      CHO

Sarri needs to be willing to give our youth a chance. So far we are not seeing signs of that, just a few minutes here or there for RLC. Early days though, will see how he deals with the Europa.

Edited by axman2526