coco

Alvaro Morata

5 hours ago, Skinnedy said:

Hate to call him a one hit wonder, but I think you're right on Belotti.

9E4DC036-EF0A-44E7-A598-2344519EF94A.png

why is nobody asking the important question

does he get the service?

5 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

but he's only had a year ffs.

All right all right settle down... Let's give a man a chance to explain. 

In a sense, you're right, he has only had one year. He's had 1 year where he's scored more than 13 goals in all comps, and then he reverted back to career norms... So he's had one big year, I over simplified by saying one hit wonder... And yes, he's young, I get that... Which also means.. Unproven... Despite one really good year.

Now, think back to what he would have cost when we were shopping. He was going to be roughly double what Morata cost, and he likely would have had similar struggles. He certainly doesn't have the track record of say.. Icardi.

Whether he continues this good run of form for Torino, I'm still inclined to agree with the OP in that we're probably better off not having dropped €100M+ on Belotti.... But I certainly think it's debatable.

Don't really know what to make of last nights performance. His body language was awful so quickly, much like last season where he looked dejected constantly. His head isn't in the right place looking at him. 

Was unlucky with one of the headers from that went wide of the far post but he had three other fairly decent chances that you'd be expecting your striker to put away at least one. 

Don't know what the answer is with him, doesn't look like we can play him into form and he'll have to content himself with coming off of the bench because there's no way I can see him starting many games ahead of Giroud. 

2 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Don't really know what to make of last nights performance. His body language was awful so quickly, much like last season where he looked dejected constantly. His head isn't in the right place looking at him. 

Was unlucky with one of the headers from that went wide of the far post but he had three other fairly decent chances that you'd be expecting your striker to put away at least one. 

Don't know what the answer is with him, doesn't look like we can play him into form and he'll have to content himself with coming off of the bench because there's no way I can see him starting many games ahead of Giroud. 

Whatever anyone thinks about Morata, he must be the unluckiest person in the world, since he scored a nice goal yesterday incorrectly ruled offsides, and also I recall the ManU match last season he scored a nice goal that was also ruled offsides.  Yes, he misses loads of chances, but the linemen and the referees in our matches really treat him terribly.

Edited by Phillip
fix typo

1 hour ago, Aryagorn said:

BT Sport studio highlighting on Alvaro Morata's goalscoring opportunities vs. PAOK last night

https://streamable.com/ua9sn

Out of those, the shot that went over the bar and the first header were the only real misses. The header that just went wide was desperately unlucky. The shot across the goal was not a realistic goal-scoring opportunity. And then there's the 'offside' goal.

I'm not sure what our best option is. Giroud contributes more in build-up play but is much less likely to get goal scoring opportunities. Morata gets into good positions but has fate against him and seems to have lost all self-belief.

We're having a great season so far but the lack of goals from the front is a bit of a concern.

I'm not looking for him to be running around the pitch like a headless chicken to show that he is at least trying, but I do want him to show a bit of fire and passion and try and do something to affect the game. Giroud won't score us many goals, but at least he's bringing some positives to team play.

7 hours ago, Dixon said:

I'm not looking for him to be running around the pitch like a headless chicken to show that he is at least trying, but I do want him to show a bit of fire and passion and try and do something to affect the game. Giroud won't score us many goals, but at least he's bringing some positives to team play.

To be fair to him he did all that on Thursday, he was much more involved in the game than of late and was unlucky not to get a goal. 

11 minutes ago, dkw said:

To be fair to him he did all that on Thursday, he was much more involved in the game than of late and was unlucky not to get a goal. 

Absolute drivel, were you even watching the game? 

50 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Banging free headers (his one strength) wide of the post isn't unlucky, when do we stop saying he's unlucky and just say he ain't very good.

I meant the ball he did put in that was given as offside, it was marginal at best. 

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Banging free headers (his one strength) wide of the post isn't unlucky, when do we stop saying he's unlucky and just say he ain't very good.

That header was a little unlucky.

53 minutes ago, dkw said:

I meant the ball he did put in that was given as offside, it was marginal at best. 

It was a close call, but jogging back from an offside position done it for him, he wasn't expecting the ball to come back in, which is not good practice from your striker.

Lets face it we have no chance of converting him into a top scoring striker, he just hasnt got much of anything about him, no real pace, no real strength, no shooting ability, nothing we can work with and improve.

Yes he is shy of goals and low on confidence and I do think there is a good player there somewhere. But his constant look of deject as if he is saying why won't something fall my way, is getting to me. Rather than letting his head drop after his first 2 or 3 missed chances he just needs to carry on plugging away and potentially get even more determined to turn it around. His mental fragility is a real worry.

I also think it would help his game massively if he went into each match with the mentality that no matter what I am staying on my feet, and if I was a team mate of his I'd be challenging him to try and do just that. Start showing some strength and balance and you will certainly lose the ball less often and might actually start winning some free kicks. 

19 minutes ago, coco said:

That header was a little unlucky.

It was a close call, but jogging back from an offside position done it for him, he wasn't expecting the ball to come back in, which is not good practice from your striker.

Lets face it we have no chance of converting him into a top scoring striker, he just hasnt got much of anything about him, no real pace, no real strength, no shooting ability, nothing we can work with and improve.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he played well,  Just there was definitely more effort and he was getting into positions much more.  His run down the left where he controlled a ball over the top and sent a shot wide for example, he just hasn't made them runs for quite some time.  

19 hours ago, bluedave said:

Out of those, the shot that went over the bar and the first header were the only real misses. The header that just went wide was desperately unlucky. The shot across the goal was not a realistic goal-scoring opportunity. And then there's the 'offside' goal.

I'm not sure what our best option is. Giroud contributes more in build-up play but is much less likely to get goal scoring opportunities. Morata gets into good positions but has fate against him and seems to have lost all self-belief.

We're having a great season so far but the lack of goals from the front is a bit of a concern.

This right here.

People exaggerate the misses in that game, I was more concerned with his body language. How he and Pedro were one on one and Pedro didn't square the ball then missed and Morata didn't even scream at him or anything. How many other strikers would do that? Giroud would be going insane if Pedro did that to him. You need to command your frontline better, you can't complain about luck, you make your own luck in this game. He's completely lost that self-belief and that's why he isn't scoring goals, he overthinks it and doesn't have the striker reactions. 

That in itself is worrying. 

3 hours ago, JJP said:

Absolute drivel, were you even watching the game? 

What was wrong with what he said? First 60 minutes he was in the game, unlike the Bournemouth match when he did absolutely nothing and sat in the box for 60-70 minutes. 

He didn't really squander that many chances, most of those chances were hard to score anyway and that's not making excuses for him that's just the reality. Should he do better? Maybe, but I don't even think Giroud would score them besides the first header he had. He was making a lot of good movement until after 60 minutes he turned abysmal and lost all self-belief after he couldn't score, his self-belief was just fading as the game went on you could see it. 

But I wish we see more of this movement in the Bournemouth game, at least he's working the defenders even if he isn't scoring, rather than just standing still. 

I just feel like as a striker sometimes you have to make your own luck. He was unfortunate not to get a goal on Thursday but the top strikers turn a half chance into a goal.

Morata doesn’t look to be able to do that and even chances that are laid on a plate for him he’s missing.

I have no idea what the answer is because playing him regularly just seems to make things worse.

There was a comment from someone on the punditry team who said he doesn’t seem to know when he’s playing well himself... which I think is true, his head goes down so quickly even when doing the right things.

It wouldn't be so bad if his first touch and link up play was as good as some people on this forum thought it was going to be but his first touch bounces off him and he doesn't seem to know when to lay it off. For this reason alone Giroud is first choice imo.