Alvaro Morata

1 hour ago, RMH said:

According to the Spanish sports newspaper As, it was the saddest celebration that Morata has ever done, and apparently a journalist asked Sarri about it in the presser after the game, and his response was that if Morata wanted to cry after every goal he scored, he was hoping to see Morata crying very often.

https://as.com/futbol/2018/10/05/uefa/1538720054_925037.html

simple FYI: I posted the interview in the match day thread

3 minutes ago, RMH said:

@robdog sorry, I had not seen it and since they were discussing here Morata's "celebration", I thought it was appropriate to paste it here.

no need to apologize mate, I just wanted everyone to know that a vid was up w/ that statement - Don Maurizio covered a lot more than that in his presser too - so no worries - again just a simple FYI

giphy.gif

Edited by robdog

Two games and two goals.

That’s more like it. Thought he looked quite sharp when he came on. Was unlucky with the first chance I thought, got it on target and worked the keeper and then when the next chance came his way he finished it confidently.

Still a long way from looking a player we’ve paid £60m for but deserves praise when it’s due and he’s scored a couple of goals now, is getting into good positions so hopefully continues this upward swing in form.

Giroud has had a decent run of starts in the league and while he fights for every ball, he never gets on the end of anything, or looks like scoring. 

Giroud's link up against Cardiff was world class, but since then, what has actually contributed? 

We all know morata's flaws, but his movement is very good, and chances always seem to fall his way. Now he is back in the goals, I think he should be ahead of giroud in the pecking order again, give morata a run of league starts and see if he hit some sort of form.

It's a tough situation with neither striker being really good enough.

16 minutes ago, big blue said:

Giroud has had a decent run of starts in the league and while he fights for every ball, he never gets on the end of anything, or looks like scoring. 

Giroud's link up against Cardiff was world class, but since then, what has actually contributed? 

We all know morata's flaws, but his movement is very good, and chances always seem to fall his way. Now he is back in the goals, I think he should be ahead of giroud in the pecking order again, give morata a run of league starts and see if he hit some sort of form.

It's a tough situation with neither striker being really good enough.

Giroud will do a job in small doses, but his role will have less and less of an effect the longer he starts. He's definitely not a long term solution. Morata will need to come in eventually and we will just have to hope he can take the chances he get's.

I have to confess that I celebrated Morata's goal the loudest, even if it was the most inconsequential in terms of the result.

I don't know why I like him so much, I used to slate Torres and he put in far more of a shift effort-wise. I'd say it's maturity but I spent most of the pub quiz last night farting in the midst of my team-mates then laughing about it. Food for thought...

24 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

I have to confess that I celebrated Morata's goal the loudest, even if it was the most inconsequential in terms of the result.

I don't know why I like him so much, I used to slate Torres and he put in far more of a shift effort-wise. I'd say it's maturity but I spent most of the pub quiz last night farting in the midst of my team-mates then laughing about it. Food for thought...

I muttered "yeah right" at the word maturity, but howled when I read the rest :biggrin:  No maturity, you just love Morata's hair better than the alicebanded Torres hairstyle :wink:

29 minutes ago, Sindre said:

I'd start him against United. Two goals in his last two games must have done wonders for his confidence and he's got loads of goalscoring potential at the very least.

Plus United are leaking goals all over the place at the moment, so it should be a good opportunity to keep his streak going.

On 08/10/2018 at 09:12, RIP Mourinho said:

I think he's an absolute dogsh*t striker but i find it hard to dislike the bloke too much. Relieved to see him score yesterday. Happy for him. 

I just hate his bottle, as a bloke I think he's a top lad, when watching him interviewed and that. 

It's just the strikers mentality is not there when the going gets tough. 

The thing about Morata is that he was most effective as a super-sub with Real Madrid/Juventus simply because his pace was an asset against tired legs.

I suspect Sarri knows this and is using him accordingly, except when he thinks that the opposition will give us space in behind from the off (ala Emery's Arsenal). 

It's become apparent, however, that most sides will defend deep and look to counter from the outset because they're scared of getting ripped apart.

In those cases, a target-man like Giroud is typically most effective because of his hold-up play and ability to win aerial duels (his good first touch helps as well).   

Agree that Morata's fragile psychological makeup resembles Chelsea-era Torres, although to be fair to Morata he at least looks to try and get himself into a position to score more often than his older compatriot did.