Alvaro Morata

14 hours ago, Adamrb said:

It’s like the Torres era all over again. Giroud and Pedro up top until January. Then bring back bats or someone new.

I was going fuming at the Torres comparisons last season (but tbf I think they were unfair then), but at the moment his goal record speaks for itself, and the effort he puts into his performances are gutless. 

As much as I've turned coat here I'm still quite confident on saying that we need to replace him as soon as possible, it just isn't going to work. We've seen no improvements, as a matter of fact we've seen regression and only regression, he has gotten worse and just like Bakayoko he seems to have lost all of his confidence. I don't know what it was about last seasons transfer window but we really signed some brick sh*t houses. 

Diego Costa frustrated the hell out of me, but my goodness he didn't give a flying f**k and at times that was a great trait to have, he didn't care when people called him the elephant man, as a matter of fact, it just gave him the motivation to score and rub it in your face. Morata really is one of those beta NPC memes you see flying around on the internet these days. 

On 20/10/2018 at 14:48, Slojo said:

This day and age in modern football the striker is a dying breed, so that's good on our part as we've never really had many prolific goal scorers at this club who were in the number 9 position. 

All we really need is somebody who can do the job up there, I don't think we need someone like Harry Kane, even someone like Firimho who can join in on the player and score goals. Mostly just cause problems and play football, we don't need a forward who scores 20+ goals in the PL every season. 

I’m sorry but I really think we do. Surely we can find someone who scores goals and has good link up play? In my mind a striker should be in the box waiting to score not linking other people up. How is Icardi’s all round game? Because he definitely seems to get the goals. 

Given that there are only a couple of people left that still think Morata is a good striker (I think even his mum has lost faith), is there any option out there that could realistically be brought to the Bridge in the winter transfer window?

Is Dzeko a possibility or will he be too expensive, cup tied in Europe or simply not for sale.

We really must try and do something about this ludicrous striker situation. It'll certainly be easier trying to sign a centre forward with a spine and an eye for goal than it would be trying to sign a midfielder who is as good or better than what we already have but can also contribute a Lampard-esque goal tally.

11 hours ago, rtwelch said:

I’m sorry but I really think we do. Surely we can find someone who scores goals and has good link up play? In my mind a striker should be in the box waiting to score not linking other people up. How is Icardi’s all round game? Because he definitely seems to get the goals. 

Watched Icardi in the Milan derby last night. To be honest he didn't really do a lot for most of the time but his movement and anticipation is outstanding. Was unlucky to have one goal chalked off for offside and eventually got on the end of a chance in the 92nd minute. I think he would guarantee goals though I think it would be very hard to sign him in January and if he was to become available a few teams would be interested. 

Morata is absolutely woeful. Surely Sarri can see now that he is bereft of confidence, clueless about positioning and goes down at the slightest touch?

Get Giroud starting every single game from now on, and save that primadonna Morata for the Europa League- that's about his level.

But why would Icardi want to come here? He's got offers and interests from many other top clubs. Idk why he would leave a champions league team for us. 

The club wont sell Morata in January. He's here to stay until the summer and wont reach double figures in goals (all competitions). We are capable of top 4 this season and its our aim. As long as Pedro starts over Willian we can compensate for the lack of goals from Morata. Pedro scored 3 goals already before he went off injured last month. Him and Hazard are enough I think. 

32 minutes ago, Blueblur said:

Morata is absolutely woeful. Surely Sarri can see now that he is bereft of confidence, clueless about positioning and goes down at the slightest touch?

Get Giroud starting every single game from now on, and save that primadonna Morata for the Europa League- that's about his level.

Morata doesn’t even want to be here. That is one thing I am convinced of.
He’d like to go back to sunny Spain or Italy with his wife and kids and enjoy himself.

He said in an interview this summer that he got “something like a depression” when he was struggling last season. What kind of mental state is he in now that he’s even worse then?

27 minutes ago, charierre said:

Lost me at the headline. Costa wanted out. He wanted out after a season with Mourinho. He wanted out before Conte even started. He wanted out midway through a championship season. He wanted out after the season. 

And now he’s kicking up a stink at Atlético  about wages, and threatening to go to China. 

And in case anyone gets their head up to actually pay attention rather than wax poetic, Costa has 3 league goals in 22 appearances for Atletico. 

Edit -- In Diego Costa's last 39 league games for Chelsea and Atlético, he has 9 goals in 39 appearances. Morata is struggling, but anyone thinking Diego Costa is/was the answer at Chelsea's 2018/19 campaign is forcing a narrative and not paying attention to facts.

Chelsea has had a striker problem since January of 2017. 

Edited by Skinnedy
added Costa's stats from 39 league games
5 hours ago, Blueblur said:

The problem is, Giroud becomes less effective the more he starts. I also don't think he has the legs to start every game. I think we are just going to have to suffer seeing both of them struggle until we can get somebody else in. Or maybe Sarri could try Pedro there. Pedro's movement would surely be a big asset in this team. He may struggle physically, but I am up for Sarri trying anything at the moment. We are desperate for goals up front.

3 hours ago, Skinnedy said:

Lost me at the headline. Costa wanted out. He wanted out after a season with Mourinho. He wanted out before Conte even started. He wanted out midway through a championship season. He wanted out after the season. 

And now he’s kicking up a stink at Atlético  about wages, and threatening to go to China. 

And in case anyone gets their head up to actually pay attention rather than wax poetic, Costa has 3 league goals in 22 appearances for Atletico. 

Edit -- In Diego Costa's last 39 league games for Chelsea and Atlético, he has 9 goals in 39 appearances. Morata is struggling, but anyone thinking Diego Costa is/was the answer at Chelsea's 2018/19 campaign is forcing a narrative and not paying attention to facts.

Chelsea has had a striker problem since January of 2017. 

Never judge a book by its cover or title. The article only mentions Costa at the end about our two title winning seasons. Nobody has said that Costa is the answer but a striker who will score goals is. 

27 minutes ago, charierre said:

Never judge a book by its cover or title. The article only mentions Costa at the end about our two title winning seasons. Nobody has said that Costa is the answer but a striker who will score goals is. 

I know, but I try not to reward click bait headlines. So as soon as I read the headline... back button...

sooo tired of the revisionist history with Diego Costa. And now that he’s up to his same old pouty, non-goal scoring self, I’m thankful that he’s no longer Chelsea’s problem. 

1 minute ago, Skinnedy said:

I know, but I try not to reward click bait headlines. So as soon as I read the headline... back button...

sooo tired of the revisionist history with Diego Costa. And now that he’s up to his same old pouty, non-goal scoring self, I’m thankful that he’s no longer Chelsea’s problem. 

Fair enough. As for Costa there is an old saying for anything in life...Never go back. 

4 minutes ago, charierre said:

Fair enough. As for Costa there is an old saying for anything in life...Never go back. 

And to be clear, I don’t mean that Costa was always a non-goal scoring grump. But he was at least half of every season at Chelsea. And so far that’s hiw he’s been at Atletico.... and he’s not exactly getting younger. 

I thought the board did an amazing job of getting €60M for a 30 year old wantaway malcontent that was prone to long periods of goal droughts. 

Now his replacement on the other hand... 

Edited by Skinnedy

Well I see it is Morata's birthday  - 26 today! Any suggestions for some appropriate presents?

Guess we should all wish him a Happy Birthday but I would rather wish that he grows a pair and becomes something at least resembling a top striker and starts paying back that £58M transfer fee.

18 hours ago, charierre said:

You only have to go up a few posts:

”Hands up, I was one of the get Costa out people. I still hate all the off field shenanigans but and a big but if we had him here now we would be smashing this league. “

I am lost with Morata, unfortunately. His demeanor on the pitch is frustrating to say the least. I can't see what motivates him, I thought with him scoring 2 goals previously and that he has already scored against Man Utd at home, would be enough for him to be raring to go this last Saturday, but no, just the same old plodding along, as though he does not have a care in the world. I was one of the one's that wanted him to stay this season and succeed here, sadly it looks unlikely.