Next Chelsea Manager

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Who would be your choice as Chelsea manager going into next season?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Here are the current favorites with Conte included. Jody Morris is in there as he is the current youth team manager, and promoting from within seems to have worked for Barca, so why not us?!

• Luis Enrique
    • Massimilliano Allegri
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Diego Simeoni
    • Thomas Tuchel
    • Maurizio Sarri
    • Jody Morris
    • Antonio Conte
    • Other

I think its harsh to disregard a manager for not winning things when he has only spent three seasons at a competent club. 

Also we have a squad full of winners so I'm not sure how much of a winning mentality we need a manager to instil we already have that in boat loads.

Further personally I wouldn't mind a couple or more seasons with out a trophy if we are playing exciting football, we have been spoilt on the trophy front recently but we haven't been spoilt by attacking football. 

On the respect front, I think a lot of players in the squad are looking to play attacking football and may see Sarri as their opportunity to do so.   

2 minutes ago, the special one said:

Must admit I have the same gut feeling, not because I think Sarri is the wrong coach but because I just don't think we have the players nor do we have the foresight to replace the players who don't/won't fit his style.

This comes with a caveat that I hope he'll change things tactically next season but I'm swaying toward wanting Conte to stay for another season.

We have much more suitable players than we Napoli did on paper when he took over and certainly more suitable players than the one's AVB and Scolari inherited. Seems like the paranoia that we can't pull off attacking football is stemmed from AVB trying it with a totally different squad.

34 minutes ago, Zola said:

Could be wrong of course, but I have a strong feeling that it will end in tears rather quickly if we get Sarri.

His honours list is next to non existent. Wenger played the best football in the premier league for decades... and last won the league back in 2003 season. 

If  When our players down tools, and fall out with proven winner managers, just how do we expect them not to fall out / lose respect / stop playing for a manager who hasn't won anything - they instinctively wont respect him as much

Our club needs a proven winner to lead the players to win leagues. 

Seems an utterly daft move.

Wenger also had to compete with Roman coming into Chelsea, which was not easy to do. Much in the same way now we're having to compete with City. Wenger consistently got Arsenal into the CL and was challenging, but ultimately he didn't have the quality to compete with the quality Utd and us had. What Wenger did was still impressive considering the circumstances. Financially they weren't able to compete on the same level as us. Arsenal were always 3rd in the table and competing. If not for our financial wealth, Arsenal would be right up there with Utd. Pellegrini came in, didn't win anything substantial either, but he won the league in the first season with City. Ranieri did the same with Leicester. I actually think if Sarri can even consistently keep us challenging it's an achievement in itself because right now we're behind City and Utd in terms of financial power, and Spurs and Liverpool are creeping up. The following years are going to be very competitive I would imagine, I could be wrong, but looking at the league it would seem that way. With a new stadium on the way, we needed a fresh, new direction. 

Edited by enigma

22 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

I love that we have so many posters in here who not only know the detailed clauses of everyone in World football's  contracts,  but also have in-depth and comprehensive knowledge of every negotiation that takes place between clubs,  players, agents and Beelzebub at every stage, AND are quite willing to  share the knowledge gained from that incredibly privileged position with us all in here.

And then we also have a preponderance of posters who are in intimate contact with all of the supporters of other clubs,  and have canvassed all their opinions to express a definitive view of "Bayern fans think ....." about Lewandowski, "Napoli fans thought....." about Sarri and various of their players, three years ago, "X team's fans wanted Y out", "Y team's fans never wanted Z to leave".

It must be wonderful to be so cosmopolitan in your friendships that you can obtain a consensus of opinion from all across Europe and beyond from discussions and banter with fans of other clubs.  It must also be great that you can think ahead three or more years and do that,  just in case it becomes relevant to Chelsea at some point in the future.

I suppose, in a way, it's a bit like the Sex Pistols gig in the Free Trade Hall,Manchester in June 1976.  If everyone who claimed to be there had actually been there, the whole of Manchester would have been jossed out.  Thousands claimed to be there, in actual fact "There were about 35-40 people there at the time."

Same with those people who KNEW Kdb and Salah would be good this season, several years ago.

23 minutes ago, PedroMendez said:

I think its harsh to disregard a manager for not winning things when he has only spent three seasons at a competent club. 

Also we have a squad full of winners so I'm not sure how much of a winning mentality we need a manager to instil we already have that in boat loads.

Further personally I wouldn't mind a couple or more seasons with out a trophy if we are playing exciting football, we have been spoilt on the trophy front recently but we haven't been spoilt by attacking football. 

On the respect front, I think a lot of players in the squad are looking to play attacking football and may see Sarri as their opportunity to do so.   

It's like when people talk about Conte at Juventus. People forget that Juventus side had genuine world class players amongst it. Del Piero, Bonucci, Chiellini, Buffon, Marchisio, Pirlo, Vidal. They weren't players who didn't have the ability, they already had the class. It's not to take anything away from Conte, but he was in the right place at the right time, got given the job and fortunately he had those players at his disposal. He definitely is a top class coach, but it helps immensely to have world class players at your disposal. The same could be said for Pep too, he came to Barcelona when they already had world class players who were coming into their primes. Would Pep have done the same job at Barca without the Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Eto'o? Most likely not, especially when competing against a top quality Real Madrid side. 

Edited by enigma

29 minutes ago, PedroMendez said:

Further personally I wouldn't mind a couple or more seasons with out a trophy if we are playing exciting football, we have been spoilt on the trophy front recently but we haven't been spoilt by attacking football

No thanks, we would turn into arsenal under Wenger, and would be starved of championships and European trophies.

7 minutes ago, Jezq8 said:

No thanks, we would turn into arsenal under Wenger, and would be starved of championships and European trophies.

Doesn't matter as long as Spuds are the same

1 hour ago, yorkleyblue said:

Same with those people who KNEW Kdb and Salah would be good this season, several years ago.

Fair point about Salah, he was just another media ‘[insert country here]’s Messi!’, but everyone knew KbD was special. I remember being wildly excited about the clubs future on the back of him and Lukaku coming through. When Jose got rid I trusted his opinion over mine because he’s a professional manager and serial winner, but in hindsight I resent the f**k out of him for that one.

Edited by Kentonio

2 hours ago, Nibs said:

Hope I'm wrong, but if we do appoint Sarri, I get the gut feeling it will be Scolrai / AVB all over again and he'll be lucky to last 1 season.

Got the same feeling myself. Would love to be wrong on this one, his Napoli side play very good football and if he could reproduce that for us I think a lot of us, myself included would be very pleased. I've big reservations about a coach who has not managed outside of his native country, having won precisely nowt in his tenures in Italy. Hopefully he is the real deal if we get him and not the Italian Kevin Keegan whose Newcastle side also played good football.

2 hours ago, Nibs said:

Hope I'm wrong, but if we do appoint Sarri, I get the gut feeling it will be Scolrai / AVB all over again and he'll be lucky to last 1 season.

Comparing Sarri to Scolari/Villas Boas is like comparing Albert Einstein to Benny Hill or Mr.Bean. You nave still not understood who is the Master. He is a genius. Get used to watching drones fly over Cobham. He  usually uses them to improve the alignment and the departmental movements of the difensive line.

6 minutes ago, Master&Commander said:

Comparing Sarri to Scolari/Villas Boas is like comparing Albert Einstein to Benny Hill or Mr.Bean. You nave still not understood who is the Master. He is a genius. Get used to watching drones fly over Cobham. He  usually uses them to improve the alignment and the departmental movements of the difensive line.

But he's won f**k all?

22 minutes ago, Master&Commander said:

Is it true that Sarri doesn't like to use much of rotations in his squad?

2 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Well it's speculative in so far as nor he or anyone from the club has said he doesn't want to be at Chelsea anymore. At this moment in time it is nothing more than assumption by some that he doesn't want to be at the club. 

For what reason was he ever given the Napoli job in the first place? Reading up about his managerial history it seems he was a bit of a lower league nomad for over a decade until getting Serie B side Empoli promoted and finishing 15th. 

For whatever reason Napoli took a gamble on him.

If you read his win percentage rate for his previous clubs it reads much the same as Eddie Howe's. So why don't we do what Napoli did and entrust an attack minded coach who's not previously managed a "big" club before? 

I mean, what expectations would Sarri's appoint bring? Not that he's going to win things because there's no proof he's got the ability to win titles. So you'd be appointing him, presumably on the basis of changing our playing style and maybe improving some of the younger players? But based on those two targets there's plenty of coaches around who have a reputation for those things so why Sarri?

Aren't you taken the piss a bit ? The way you're talking you could do that to every manager in some way or form. At the end of the day there are no managers who are a 100 % certain to win trophies or do great things at a club. Sometimes serial winners go into a club and do an absolute sh*t job other times it works. Sometimes you've got managers who haven 't won or proven anything and they go on to win trophies and do great. Look at RDM for us. 

Won the CL with a group of players no one would have dreamed of winning it.

Avram Grant was a Terry slip away from winning the CL and came extremely close to winning the league that same year. 

Neither could be described as serial winners.  

Enrique won a lot of trophies yes but quite frankly even a monkey would have won a sh*t ton of trophies with that Barcelona team. 

Not really sure how Jardim can be described as a serial winner ? Apart from his ligue 1 title with Monaco over PSG the only other titles i can find is a league and cup double in greece with Olympiacos. 

That might sound impressive until you dig a little deeper and find out that Olympiacos has won the league 7 consecutive times in a row in the 2010-2017 period. 

At the end of the day any manager we hire will be a gamble. Regardless whether he's a serial winner or hasn't won a single trophy on his life. 

2 hours ago, enigma said:

Wenger also had to compete with Roman coming into Chelsea, which was not easy to do. Much in the same way now we're having to compete with City. Wenger consistently got Arsenal into the CL and was challenging, but ultimately he didn't have the quality to compete with the quality Utd and us had. What Wenger did was still impressive considering the circumstances. Financially they weren't able to compete on the same level as us. Arsenal were always 3rd in the table and competing. If not for our financial wealth, Arsenal would be right up there with Utd. Pellegrini came in, didn't win anything substantial either, but he won the league in the first season with City. Ranieri did the same with Leicester. I actually think if Sarri can even consistently keep us challenging it's an achievement in itself because right now we're behind City and Utd in terms of financial power, and Spurs and Liverpool are creeping up. The following years are going to be very competitive I would imagine, I could be wrong, but looking at the league it would seem that way. With a new stadium on the way, we needed a fresh, new direction. 

I would feel much better about Sarri coming in and actually winning trophies, not competing like Arsenal had. We have a drive inside of the club to win things instead of just competing for them, unlike what Arsenal seem to have had in the past under Wenger. Maybe it was ultimately down to him not wanting to spend much but that's where our situations differentiate IMO. They had money to spend, same as we do now, just not quite as much as the other top 2 clubs. They were certainly more profitable than us at that point. I get they had some debt but then again so did United and that hardly stopped them. 

How long were Arsenal a GK and CB or DM away from being an incredibly good team? I'm talking about the days when they had Almunia and Fabianski in goal and Wenger didn't want to spend an extra million on Schwarzer. 

If Sarri comes in and we're 2 players away from making a serious run at the league or challenging for a CL title I doubt the club will hesitate to spend what needs to be spent to get the players in. We all know Sarri's view on the transfer market but that's an easy view to have when you have the financial resources of Napoli. That's a different problem to have than Wenger did. 

Simon Phillips

”Nothing new on Sarri guys, only that reports from Italy tonight suggesting it’s close which we can assume talks progressed well, which is of course what we have been hearing for sometime. 

You need not ask, once I get news it’ll be on here!”