xXRuufioXx

Next Chelsea Manager

Who would be your choice as Chelsea manager going into next season?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Here are the current favorites with Conte included. Jody Morris is in there as he is the current youth team manager, and promoting from within seems to have worked for Barca, so why not us?!

• Luis Enrique
    • Massimilliano Allegri
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Diego Simeoni
    • Thomas Tuchel
    • Maurizio Sarri
    • Jody Morris
    • Antonio Conte
    • Other

Eladio Parames, a close friend of Jose Mourinho, has told the Portuguese press that Thomas Tuchel will take over from Antonio Conte at Chelsea this summer.(Simon Phillips)

Who knows?!!

On 28/04/2018 at 11:47, Total-Football said:

Conte won't play Odoi or Ampadu

Oh silly man -he has done exactly that this season at just the right amount until Ampadu got injured.  Don't let your personal hatred of Conte and your opinion that he is a "coward" get in the way of the facts

On 28/04/2018 at 15:37, Qaz said:

There's a rumour about Mauricio Pochettino which i think is very unlikely but would definitely be my choice 

Barring that, I think Simeone would best fit us

This would be serial-bottler North London managerial genius Pochettino who has won exactly nothing at any club.  Ever.  That would really be your choice,  @Qaz?  I thought you had better judgement than that :)

Theres still fire left in Contes belly for the job.

If we win the FA cup and run Pool/Spurs to the last day given how bad we were from December-March, he should be given another crack at the whip, assuming he wants to stay on.

2 hours ago, Delnino said:

If we win the FA cup and run Pool/Spurs to the last day given how bad we were from December-March, he should be given another crack at the whip, assuming he wants to stay on.

A lot of damaged has been done by conte this season,i'm not so sure that can forgotten easily, and I for one dont feel the same about him any more,of course I would support him if he stayed, but my love of him from last year isn't there.

I would love Pochettino, great manager. But it’s not going to happen, and my knowledge of the rumoured ones like Emery, Sarri isn’t great so I don’t really care whoever we get. As long as he’s an attacking minded manager.

Our squad would suit an attacking manager than a defensive one IMO.

On 30/04/2018 at 10:57, Delnino said:

To buy more defensive players & ask for more target men? Football is advancing daily, and the players are getting nimbler. 

Dear Roman,

How are you? I hope life is treating you well.

First off, sack Conte. I know he wants to be sacked but sack him anyway. Cut your losses. Let's hire a manager that wants to be at Chelsea. A novel approach I know but let's try it for once, you never know it might work. Hire somebody that doesn't immediately start thinking about his next job when he signs on the dotted line. There's an idea. Hire somebody that will play the youth. That will play Ampadu and Hudson-Odoi. Regularly. That might even play Kenedy. Hire somebody that will allow them to progress without expecting them to be the finished article straightaway. If anybody complains about them on the shedend don't worry, I'll take care of them. Allow us to lose a few games. It doesn't matter. Hire somebody that will build a team and that will put the club before themselves, not somebody that only cares about their win percentage so refuses to play youngsters even when the game doesn't matter. Enough of that sh*t. I'm tired of it.

Davey Baby

p.s. If his name begins with Rafa forget about it.

Posted (edited)
On 30/04/2018 at 19:46, yorkleyblue said:

Oh silly man -he has done exactly that this season at just the right amount until Ampadu got injured.  Don't let your personal hatred of Conte and your opinion that he is a "coward" get in the way of the facts

This would be serial-bottler North London managerial genius Pochettino who has won exactly nothing at any club.  Ever.  That would really be your choice,  @Qaz?  I thought you had better judgement than that :)

There's so many ways you can judge a manager, most of them really subjective. Like does he motivate well? Is he good tactically? how does he handle the media? how does he do in the transfer market? All interesting but very subjective value based ideas of what may or may not be accurate. Or many or may not be relevant to our (or any other club's) specific situation.

But....

If you try to take a empirical analysis of what a club's performance is in terms of league position/win-loss over an extended period of time relative to the team's total player budget relative to other teams. Then you can build a somewhat decent empirical justification for whether a club is over or under performing where it should be. 

The book soccernomics goes into long run analysis and finds that wages paid is the biggest and most consistent determinant of final league position across several leagues in several decades. This is never 100% but is far more solid for objective reasoning than "feely" subjective reasoning.

Based on budget, Tottenham have been very much a relative outperformer relative to other teams. Maybe the biggest outperformer alongside Burnley and Bournemouth over the last few years.

I can quote all sorts of stuff around bringing through youth, making (mostly) good decisions in the transfer market, making his team very fit and motivated, having good relations with his squad, reasonably attractive (high pressing) style, etc, etc, etc. But really, the most objective measure i can measure relative performance is wins/loss relative to player payments (wages/bonuses and to a lessor extent net transfer spend).

It's always possible I lack your imaginative flair @yorkleyblue :)  and that may make you a much better judge of manager than I. But in the absence of hard track records from either of us, i'd rather rely on empirical analysis where possible :)

Edited by Qaz

5 hours ago, Qaz said:

There's so many ways you can judge a manager, most of them really subjective. Like does he motivate well? Is he good tactically? how does he handle the media? how does he do in the transfer market? All interesting but very subjective value based ideas of what may or may not be accurate. Or many or may not be relevant to our (or any other club's) specific situation.

But....

If you try to take a empirical analysis of what a club's performance is in terms of league position/win-loss over an extended period of time relative to the team's total player budget relative to other teams. Then you can build a somewhat decent empirical justification for whether a club is over or under performing where it should be. 

The book soccernomics goes into long run analysis and finds that wages paid is the biggest and most consistent determinant of final league position across several leagues in several decades. This is never 100% but is far more solid for objective reasoning than "feely" subjective reasoning.

Based on budget, Tottenham have been very much a relative outperformer relative to other teams. Maybe the biggest outperformer alongside Burnley and Bournemouth over the last few years.

I can quote all sorts of stuff around bringing through youth, making (mostly) good decisions in the transfer market, making his team very fit and motivated, having good relations with his squad, reasonably attractive (high pressing) style, etc, etc, etc. But really, the most objective measure i can measure relative performance is wins/loss relative to player payments (wages/bonuses and to a lessor extent net transfer spend).

It's always possible I lack your imaginative flair @yorkleyblue :)  and that may make you a much better judge of manager than I. But in the absence of hard track records from either of us, i'd rather rely on empirical analysis where possible :)

That's all fine and dandy in the rarefied world of statistical analysis, but the real world of football is about resuts and trophies, and only that.  I agree that there are some managers around that have soem or all of the wonderful atrributes you list, but that doesn't always cut it in the professional game.

Very few people look back with fondness on someone coming top of the European statistics league.

I take your point, @Qaz, but would you rather your trophy cabinet resembled Chelsea's or Spuds?

On 01/05/2018 at 16:49, dansubrosa said:

I would love Pochettino, great manager. But it’s not going to happen, and my knowledge of the rumoured ones like Emery, Sarri isn’t great so I don’t really care whoever we get. As long as he’s an attacking minded manager.

Our squad would suit an attacking manager than a defensive one IMO.

Wasn't it you that said you wanted Howe as well?  If it wasn't I apologise.

Results aren't always a great indicator of a managers ability. Luis Enrique and Zidane have won a ridiculous amount of trophies between them. There are still massive question marks other both of their abilities due to the nature of the teams they managed/manage.

2 points off 4th and a win against the mighty Liverpool is still not enough to keep the media from talking about Conte getting sacked. Shaka Hilsop came out and said Conte is doing the club a favor by trying to finish top 4. 

It's his job! When Conte is here next season all these jerks best own up to being wrong. 

51 minutes ago, Total-Football said:

Results aren't always a great indicator of a managers ability. Luis Enrique and Zidane have won a ridiculous amount of trophies between them. There are still massive question marks other both of their abilities due to the nature of the teams they managed/manage.

No, but results are the ultimate indicator of a manager's success.  Currently, neither Pochettino nor Howe have ever won anything, ever, in top flight football.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

I take your point, @Qaz, but would you rather your trophy cabinet resembled Chelsea's or Spuds?

Would you rather the trophy cabinet of Arsenal or Burnely?

They are operating on different levels financially and should be judged on different standards

Edited by Qaz

21 hours ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

2 points off 4th and a win against the mighty Liverpool is still not enough to keep the media from talking about Conte getting sacked. Shaka Hilsop came out and said Conte is doing the club a favor by trying to finish top 4. 

It's his job! When Conte is here next season all these jerks best own up to being wrong. 

Thanks Conte :face_palm:, you was 2nd but at least we are fighting for 4th.

Conte seems to have got his mojo back in recent weeks. Certainly he doesn't seem to be acting like a manager with one foot out of the door any more. Is there any chance he stays if he manages a last minute top 4 finish, and an FA Cup win? Certainly hard to imagine he would get sacked under those conditions.

Just now, forbzy said:

Conte seems to have got his mojo back in recent weeks. Certainly he doesn't seem to be acting like a manager with one foot out of the door any more. Is there any chance he stays if he manages a last minute top 4 finish, and an FA Cup win? Certainly hard to imagine he would get sacked under those conditions.

Think he has calmed down after putting feelers out about a new job & not getting any takers. There are loads of top teams changing managers but it has gone all quiet suitor wise for him. PSG are rumoured to be getting Tuchel, Bayern have appointed Kovac, Dortmund Favre. Seriously doubt Juve/ Italy will want him back due to the acrimonious nature of his departure, which just leaves Arsenal & Napoli if Sarri moves.

Would love to see him manage Arsenal just to observe him from afar like with Mourinho.

1 hour ago, forbzy said:

Sounds like we have someone to take over from Wenger :laugh2:

1 hour ago, forbzy said:

It will be interesting. For me the minimum standard is always top 4. If Spurs or Liverpool bottle it, then I think it becomes much harder to sack him. That narrative grows stronger with an FA Cup win. 

That said I think the likelihood of us achieving that is very low. 

1 hour ago, Spiller86 said:

It will be interesting. For me the minimum standard is always top 4. If Spurs or Liverpool bottle it, then I think it becomes much harder to sack him. That narrative grows stronger with an FA Cup win. 

That said I think the likelihood of us achieving that is very low. 

well, we play the FA cup final on May 19th ... Something may be written in the stars ;) !

Posted (edited)

Corriere dello Sport are claiming that Chelsea have chosen Luis Enrique as their next manager..... 

All I know on this is, Chelsea are in the midst of informal talks with a number of targets, including Enrique and Sarri. 

Enrique is Romans preferred option, however it did look like his wage demands put Chelsea off. 

The saga continues...

(Simon Phillips)

Edited by JM7

On 07/05/2018 at 16:01, Qaz said:

Would you rather the trophy cabinet of Arsenal or Burnely?

They are operating on different levels financially and should be judged on different standards

Arse and Burnley are irrelevant - You brought up Pochettino and Spurs as the comparator, so stick by that.  And money spent was a tiny part (if anything) of your criteria for "best manager".  There are enough internet experts in here moving their own logical goalposts to make sensible discourse impossibe.  I did't think that you were one of them, is all.