xXRuufioXx

Next Chelsea Manager

Who would be your choice as Chelsea manager going into next season?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Here are the current favorites with Conte included. Jody Morris is in there as he is the current youth team manager, and promoting from within seems to have worked for Barca, so why not us?!

• Luis Enrique
    • Massimilliano Allegri
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Diego Simeoni
    • Thomas Tuchel
    • Maurizio Sarri
    • Jody Morris
    • Antonio Conte
    • Other

34 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

That's not what I said, though, is it?  I said that there may have been racists, homophobes and, by implication, misogynists in the past, but, as it wasn't made public, I "didn't have to overlook it" I never said  "it doesn't matter because I didn't know."

So, less of the twisting of what people say.  My original point was that someone said racism and homophobia could be overlooked.  I said I didn't know if either were true, but if they were I wouldn't overlook that. 

So stop being a confrontational twat.  (and I know that's a bit rich coming from me, but I tend to work from what people actually say, rather than a dubious twist on what they say)

You LITERALLY used the word "relevant" which translates to something that does/doesn't matter and now you sit here and say that's not what you said? I'm not sure you're even following your own argument. 

As far as your "but it wasn't made public" part, that's a bloody lie. All of these things were out in the open in the era where it was normal to say those things about non whites or women. Nobody batted an eyelid back then because no one saw anything wrong with it. If you want to argue against that then go right ahead.

I'm working from what YOU said, so don't turn around 2 posts later and claim you didn't say it. It's right here.

4 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

That's not relevant.  There may or may not have been one, the other or both in the past, but it was never publicised and I was never aware, so I never had to  "overlook" any such racism or homophobia.  There has been an allegation made in here that he is both.  If that is true, then no, I would  not overlook that.  If it's not true then I don't need to overlook it.

Edited by Barrettinator

Anyways. Would welcome Sarri here with open arms. Not sure we would win much, but our matches would be fun to watch again. This quote also makes me think he wouldnt throw a fit over over our transfers: 

Maurizio Sarri on Transfer Market] . "Transfer Market is the refuge of the weak. It is for those who can't train their players. I'm a coach. Give me a group of players ...

10 minutes ago, Ledgerson said:

I don't expect a manager of his quality to end up in Russia, but it would be interesting development if it happens.

Maybe it was Zenit who were making the moves all along and we were not that active re. Sarri....

From Simon Phillips who is very balanced and a normally pretty spot on with Chelsea:

“Ok I’m being asked a lot - yes I see Di Marzio’s report, I also see strong links connecting Chelsea and Sarri. 

This same source states that it is left for Abramovich to make the decision on Sarri and the next few hours will be decisive.

Conclusion - Sarri has offers from both Zenit and Chelsea, and is yet to make his mind up. Tomorrow we will know more.

This is total guess work, but I have a feeling Conte might already be sacked and ground work for the replacement close to being complete all behind closed doors. Think it’s just short of an official announcement.”

Edited by JM7

I have come out of retirement to stick my neck out and say that right now Sarri is the best manager in the world, bar none.  Not to get him would be the biggest mistake made of the Abramovich era.  I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and I'll write down the names all those who snigger at, or take the piss out of, my comments and I'll be back at the end of the season for the apologies. :smile:

Edited by Killbill

9 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

Really???  Okay to overlook that???? Not in my world it's not.

Three years ago in a spat with Roberto Mancini, Sarri called him a F*cking P*ofter. Although, I do not condone such behaivour in any way, I do find it a bit excessive to define him as a racist homophobic because of that.

Edited by Killbill

5 hours ago, Nibs said:

Thanks for that.

Seems he would get on well with David Moyes - offering female reporters out!

Do we know if he can speak good English? Nothing worse than seeing your manager unable to communicate and having to use a translator.

During an interview on TV a few month ago a female journalist asked him a question about winning the title to which he had already answered a couple time, he jokingly said “If you weren’t a woman I would tell you to f**k off."

This incident and the one I mentioned above are his skeletons in the cupboard, there is nothing else. :smile:

Edited by Killbill

I remain unconvinced on Sarri. It is going to take one hell of an overhaul of our squad, or a lot of bad results while players learn his style to make this work.

Premier League teams press with much higher intensity than Italian teams and his insistence on identity over pragmatism bothers me, as does the fact that his apparent super football has won zero trophies despite the exceptional squad.

My sense is that ADL would deny us Jorginhio, Koulibaly, Ghoulam etc. who were central to his success, same as when we stole AVB from Porto in 2012.

This is a very risky deal, don't let the football hipsters fool you.  Guardiola spent nearly 500m to make his similar style come to life. We just don't have that money.

Whatever decision the club make, just be committed to it. If they want to keep Conte, extend him (They won't do this unfortunately). We can't just be back at this place next year with a question over who is going to be manager. If they want to go with Sarri, or Jardim, or whomever, they need to announce it soon as we have important business to take care of. I do not want us to be panic buying players on the last day of the transfer window because we took our time twiddling our thumbs waiting for the perfect time to make an announcement. 

1 hour ago, Barrettinator said:

That would be interesting considering Conte is a “world class manager” & should have his pick of clubs.

In a perfect I would love if Conte ended up in Napoli,  & had to deal with an owner who uses social media and his very vocal. 

22 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

This is a very risky deal, don't let the football hipsters fool you.  Guardiola spent nearly 500m to make his similar style come to life. We just don't have that money.

I think we can all agree this comes with alot of risk. But the players central to City winning the title last year who werent already in the squad when Pep joined: Ederson and Sané. Lets not act like he bought 11 new players. He transformed the team with players already in place.  Ade KdB a wirld class central midfielder and turned Sterling into one of the vest wingers in the league

27 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

I remain unconvinced on Sarri. It is going to take one hell of an overhaul of our squad, or a lot of bad results while players learn his style to make this work.

Premier League teams press with much higher intensity than Italian teams and his insistence on identity over pragmatism bothers me, as does the fact that his apparent super football has won zero trophies despite the exceptional squad.

My sense is that ADL would deny us Jorginhio, Koulibaly, Ghoulam etc. who were central to his success, same as when we stole AVB from Porto in 2012.

People keep forgetting he was a banker who quit his day job at 40 & worked his way up from the bottom up. I am sold on a manager who corrects deficiencies in his squad by good coaching and work on the training field. Conte has already come out again saying Chelsea need to invest heavily, bet he needs another forward since the one he signed last season isn’t functioning well. 

“When you see Sarri’s teams play, you know how they train,” Sacchi effused. “He is a genius. When I was technical director with the Italy youth teams, I always went to watch kids in Serie B, and I was already impressed by his Empoli. He looks after the players, they understand him.”

Stones, Gundogan, Gabriel Jesus, Kyle Walker and Danilo all played more than 35 games this season. They're all Pep purchases. 

That's before you consider the money spent on Mendy, B Silva, Laporte etc. and the fact they already had the best squad in the league beforehand. 

Pep is a great manager, but implementing Juego de Posicion took adding hundreds of millions of dollars in players to an already star studded squad. 

We won't have that luxury. Here's Antonio after the Fa Cup final:

"For now the real situation of this club is this: we have to play strong defensively if we want to win a trophy or get a place in the Champions League. Maybe we missed the Champions League this season because we tried to play very open and, in this moment, we can’t do this, especially against a strong team.

To concede three goals in seven games it means you don’t have stability. A great team doesn’t concede three goals, or four goals against Watford.

"Playing like this] was the only way to lift a trophy. If you want to change then we can change our idea, but you must change many players"

We don't have the players for open attacking football and I can't see us buying them. That means by hiring Sarri we're going to try and implement a style that doesn't suit our squad. That in my view is a massive concern.

I can see people’s concerns with playing beautiful open football but fails to win anything - aka Liverpool and Spurs. That’s my concern too. 

However his record seems to speak for himself in that he has worked his way up and proven himself over a number of clubs and situations. His references from the top guys also paint him well. He seems hungry which one of the most important attributes and likes to “coach” players rather than continuing to ask for money. 

56 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Same was said about the Napoli squad he took over, he doesn't need unlimited funds.

Lets be honest here, in terms of flexibility this squad is leagues ahead of 2011. For a start the old guard were past their best and even in their prime they only had 1 style they properly aced (they were truly great with that style, but still) we have a nucleus of players that can play a high line now. Courtois commands his area and sweeps up in ways (the 2011 version of) Cech looked all at sea attempting, all our CB's are adept at a high line, even Cahill to a degree and we have the proactive DM now we badly missed in that team not to mention forwards Giroud aside suited to pressing.

It's a gamble yes, but so was appointing Conte, but this notion we can't play attacking football seems to solely stem from AVB attempting it with a squad were only one player is still here (and that was the one player who looked good playing the high line). The one area we will need to significantly strengthen is CM, giving Sarri's track record of improving squads i feel we already have the building blocks for him to work with in every other position.

6 minutes ago, JM7 said:

I can see people’s concerns with playing beautiful open football but fails to win anything - aka Liverpool and Spurs. That’s my concern too. 

However his record seems to speak for himself in that he has worked his way up and proven himself over a number of clubs and situations. His references from the top guys also paint him well. He seems hungry which one of the most important attributes and likes to “coach” players rather than continuing to ask for money. 

There's one key difference between us and Spurs, we have a winning mentality running through the club. Furthermore Spurs playing beautiful footy is a myth.

I think we’ll find out more tomorrow. Or probably the day after.

Have to trust Chelsea board. So far they have been excellent in choosing managers.

It is risky especially thinking the only two attacking managers we have hired has failed miserably - AVB and Scolari.

But it can’t fail every time can it? And I believe we have the squad for attacking football now.