Jump to content

xXRuufioXx

Next Chelsea Manager

Who would be your choice as Chelsea manager going into next season?  

213 members have voted

  1. 1. Here are the current favorites with Conte included. Jody Morris is in there as he is the current youth team manager, and promoting from within seems to have worked for Barca, so why not us?!

    • Luis Enrique
      7
    • Massimilliano Allegri
      10
    • Carlo Ancelotti
      18
    • Diego Simeoni
      20
    • Thomas Tuchel
      12
    • Maurizio Sarri
      57
    • Jody Morris
      18
    • Antonio Conte
      56
    • Other
      15


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Davey Baby said:

 

Ridiculous. The only reason they got so close was because of Rodgers. Sure, he may be flawed, but for goodness sake, nobody but nobody expected them to challenge so he deserves some credit. Look how Coutinho, Sturridge, Sterling and Suarez all flourished under him. He's shown he's very good at developing attacking players. Nobody had even heard of Coutinho or Sterling, they were both young, and Suarez went to Liverpool for £20m, which was hardly huge money, and there was hardly a host of huge clubs after him. He was brilliant for Liverpool but the manager deserves credit for that. All three of those players went for huge sums. Their values were largely increased under Rodgers. 

 

I'm not saying he's the ideal choice, far from it. I'm saying give credit where it's due.

People tend to point at that one season and forget the other 2.5 seasons he was there. His first season they finished 7th. No great goal totals or goals against, it was his first season in the PL and he was clearly finding his feet. Then we get that amazing season where he finished 2nd. Incredible goal total sure, but also conceded 50 goals in the process. Lost the title because when it came down to vital games he showed he had absolutely no plan B. All his team knew how to do was all out attack, and at the end of the season when they desperately needed to just grind out a few results, they didn’t have it in them. The only reason they finished as high as second was because their goal scorers had an incredible season.

What happened the next season? 6th, with GF-52 GA-48. They suddenly didn’t have those freakish outrageous scoring numbers, so all those goals they inevitably conceded put them exactly where they deserved to be. Oh and let’s not forget his final season, when he was sacked because they were in 10th.

Rodgers clearly has talent, but his managerial skills are very one sided. He can build a great attacking team, but he needs to develop the ability to adapt when needed and recognize that not every problem is a nail waiting for a hammer.

Celtic with their dominance on the Scottish league was just about the worst possible place he could have gone if he wanted to broaden his skills. Then again the guy appears to be a massive narcissist (not to mention cringe worthy knob) so it’s not that surprising he doesn’t apparently understand he needs to improve significantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think Rodgers was the reason why they nearly won it but he clearly had some influence as the coach. I think he was carried that season by the players who were hungry and I don’t think people remember that they weren’t in the title race really but teams kept dropping points at the top and they kept grinding out results. Then all of a sudden they were getting closer and I think the desire kicked in. Also I think one of Rodgers ultimate failings was there match against us. They came in incredibly arrogant, they thought they were gonna blow us away. A better manager would have coached the players better in that situation. Also after Gerrard slipped notice in that game all he did was try to score to make amends? Again a better coach would have dealt with that better and man managed the player there telling him to be patient and play his normal game.

Now I’m not saying Rodgers is a bad coach, far from it. I actually think he deserves some credit what he’s achieved with Celtic. Yes they are the only team capable of winning the league there but they had never done an unbeaten season or a double treble before.

Edited by Bobbywoodhogan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13-14 in my opinion is one of Jose's biggest bottle jobs as a manager. Maybe THE biggest tbh. With 5 games to go, we could have won the league. Threw it away. Wasted opportunity. Thank God United didn't let him sign Rooney later that summer. That's also the summer he decided to bin Lukaku, De Bruyne and Salah for 52 year old Eto'o, Oscar and Cuadrado. Imagine having Rooney on 350k/week right now. He'd be just now about to enter the 5th year of the deal.

Edited by Barrettinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roman Abramovich has personally paid out #Napoli coach Sarri's €8m release clause. An announcement is expected within 24-48 hours. Conte will be relieved of his duties early tomorrow morning. (Standard) #CFC

 

Thay tweet was last night so expected today. 

Edited by JM7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gol15 said:

we as Chelsea fans can't really point fingers at Pep Guardiola and Man City because they spent a lot of money - Our own club did the same thing more or less in the recent past.

I think its about time people remembered the financial situation back then. I'm tired of hearing this crap about how we supposedly blew everyone away with our spending. Do you remember the years BEFORE Roman arrived? Man United were outspending everyone in the PL, they had the best team by a country mile. Arsenal also had an incredible team. United had won 8 of the 11 seasons since the PL started, and were buying players we couldn't have dreamed of getting. We went for the foreign legion plan (which was genius incidentally) and not only did we get absolutely slaughtered in the press but we still couldn't get near United. How do you compete with a team that can pay 2-3 times your transfer limit, and do it basically as often as they please?

Here's the kicker, people talk about net spend a lot, aso lets look at that net spend:

of-Spend-in-Seasons-GRAPH-pre2003.jpg

Hey it looks pretty even doesn't it? Clearly I must be talking a lot of bollocks! Except no, net spend is wildly misleading in this sense. When one team starts out with a team full of valuable players and others don't, then net spend doesn't really tell you anything. Man United could still splash out on the cream of Europe, and just offset that spending by selling slightly less good but still valuable players. For a team like Chelsea using homegrown players and later veteran legends at the end of their careers, we didn't have those sky high resale values. For us to spend big the club had to magically conjure up money we largely didn't have, and put the club at endless risk of administration.

So in comes Roman, and changes football for ever! We're suddenly buying top players left, right and centre. So what did that get us? It got us a team that was finally able to compete on a pretty level playing field with United and Arsenal. Did we dominate with all that spending? In the 10 years following Roman's takeover, we won the league exactly 3 times. United won 5 more titles in that time.

I don't hold it against City that they had a rich guy come in and give them the resources to compete at the top level, that's exactly what we did. What they're doing now though is not what we did. They're spending at a rate that is taking them to a whole new financial level, and United are following them. They're not spending to allow them to compete, they're spending to allow them to dominate. That's a very big difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Roman Abramovich has personally paid out #Napoli coach Sarri's €8m release clause. An announcement is expected within 24-48 hours. Conte will be relieved of his duties early tomorrow morning. (Standard) #CFC

 

Thay tweet was last night so expected today. 

Are the Standard to be trusted though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Killbill said:

Three years ago in a spat with Roberto Mancini, Sarri called him a F*cking P*ofter. Although, I do not condone such behaivour in any way, I do find it a bit excessive to define him as a racist homophobic because of that.

Again, that's not what I said.  Some prick said that if he was a racist and homophobe, that could be overlooked.  I said that IF HE WAS, I didn't think that COULD be overlooked.  I have no idea whether he is or isn't,  and it's irrelevant,  anyway.  If he is or not, we really have no way of knowing , unless he is so stupid as to express racist opinions in public.  I haven't defined anyone, I have rejected totally a disgusting mind-set.

1 hour ago, Barrettinator said:

Conte is way too confrontational to be a Chelsea manager long term. Wants to fight with everybody from opposing managers to the board to the refs to his own players. We've just about had enough of him. It's not like there's a sweetner in it like him promoting our youth (bar Christensen who was forced on him) either. 2 years, 2 trophies. Good run. Good riddance.

That's just mostly bollocks.  Conte fell out with Jose, or the other way round.  I don't remember him having any spats with any other manager, or referees, and there are only press rumours about arguments with his players.  You say "bar Chrisensen who was forced on him".  How do you know that?   Are you really someone deep within the Chelsea organisation?  And he was also using Ampadu quite a lot fro a youngster until  he got injured.  Was he "forced on him" as well?

FFS, there are a lot of valid reasons for not liking Conte this season, you don't NEED to  go  making sh*t up.   You makes you look like a bit of an arse, really. (In my opinion, anyway)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

That's just mostly bollocks.  Conte fell out with Jose, or the other way round.  I don't remember him having any spats with any other manager, or referees, and there are only press rumours about arguments with his players.  You say "bar Chrisensen who was forced on him".  How do you know that?   Are you really someone deep within the Chelsea organisation?  And he was also using Ampadu quite a lot fro a youngster until  he got injured.  Was he "forced on him" as well?

FFS, there are a lot of valid reasons for not liking Conte this season, you don't NEED to  go  making sh*t up.   You makes you look like a bit of an arse, really. (In my opinion, anyway)

Actually, Conte wanted Koulibaly (even after buying Rudiger). We spent a good portion of last summer trying to buy Koulibaly after wasting the entire 2016 summer trying to get the same player. We also tried to get Manolas and then another CB which I don't remember atm. If you've been asleep through all of this, then that's on you. Unless you're going to turn around again and say the entire press (including those who tend to be quite accurate about Chelsea's business) were lying and it's all a conspiracy because none of us are part of the Chelsea board. Christensen wasn't even his 3rd choice.

Also, he sold Chalobah and bought Drinkwater. Sent RLC out and went for Bakayoko instead. I believe Musonda could also have done a lot more with Barkley's minutes. Played Alonso almost to death even through his worst forms despite us having capable younsters. Went out to get Zappacosta, another bang average player instead of giving Dujon Sterling a chance. 

He didn't even give Christensen a chance until he had no choice (red card) and then he realised how good the kid was. I'm not going to give him credit for choosing to play Ampadu (who only joined the club last summer btw) after he had well and truly f**ked up first team chances of players like RLC, Chalobah, Sterling and co. 

This reminds me of a lot of fans on here defending Jose's decisions at the time to bin players like Lukaku, De Bruyne & Salah. I remember the CL game where we had qualified from the group stage already and Jose claimed it was going to be "youth day", implying he would play a lot of youngsters, only to end up bringing RLC alone in the 83rd minute or so. And Jose was defended by certain fans for that as well. I'm not surprised you're springing to Conte's defense now. Sure, I'm making things up, I guess. Maybe you'll learn one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Barrettinator said:

Actually, Conte wanted Koulibaly (even after buying Rudiger). We spent a good portion of last summer trying to buy Koulibaly after wasting the entire 2016 summer trying to get the same player. We also tried to get Manolas and then another CB which I don't remember atm. If you've been asleep through all of this, then that's on you. Unless you're going to turn around again and say the entire press (including those who tend to be quite accurate about Chelsea's business) were lying and it's all a conspiracy because none of us are part of the Chelsea board. Christensen wasn't even his 3rd choice.

Also, he sold Chalobah and bought Drinkwater. Sent RLC out and went for Bakayoko instead. I believe Musonda could also have done a lot more with Barkley's minutes. Played Alonso almost to death even through his worst forms despite us having capable younsters. Went out to get Zappacosta, another bang average player instead of giving Dujon Sterling a chance. 

He didn't even give Christensen a chance until he had no choice (red card) and then he realised how good the kid was. I'm not going to give him credit for choosing to play Ampadu (who only joined the club last summer btw) after he had well and truly f**ked up first team chances of players like RLC, Chalobah, Sterling and co. 

This reminds me of a lot of fans on here defending Jose's decisions at the time to bin players like Lukaku, De Bruyne & Salah. I remember the CL game where we had qualified from the group stage already and Jose claimed it was going to be "youth day", implying he would play a lot of youngsters, only to end up bringing RLC alone in the 83rd minute or so. And Jose was defended by certain fans for that as well. I'm not surprised you're springing to Conte's defense now. Sure, I'm making things up, I guess. Maybe you'll learn one day.

Chalobah made the decision to leave 

RLC going on loan was a great decision, he's a better player now than 12 months ago

Musonda is sh*te. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Barrettinator said:

..................a rambling mix of rumour and innuendo,  with some self-justification rubbed into it, and then thinly-veiled abuse......................

OK,  you have it your way.  If you are so simple as to believe everything that you read in the Press,  there isn't really much point in debating it with you.  You'll be obviously either gutted or over the moon when Lewandowski lines up in the Chelsea number 9 shirt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, benjsross said:

Chalobah made the decision to leave 

RLC going on loan was a great decision, he's a better player now than 12 months ago

Musonda is sh*te. 

Chalobah made that decision because Conte couldn't guarantee him decent minutes. RLC could have played a lot of games for us. I heard a lot of "Salah is sh*t" as well a few years ago.

3 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

OK,  you have it your way.  If you are so simple as to believe everything that you read in the Press,  there isn't really much point in debating it with you.  You'll be obviously either gutted or over the moon when Lewandowski lines up in the Chelsea number 9 shirt.

It's okay to admit you no valid reply. We all learn everyday.

Also, football clubs go through a lot of targets every summer and make several inquiries. They obviously don't sign them all but it wouldn't make a story about an inquiry about a player false. Let's not be silly now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

Again, that's not what I said.  Some prick said that if he was a racist and homophobe, that could be overlooked.  I said that IF HE WAS, I didn't think that COULD be overlooked.  I have no idea whether he is or isn't,  and it's irrelevant,  anyway.  If he is or not, we really have no way of knowing , unless he is so stupid as to express racist opinions in public.  I haven't defined anyone, I have rejected totally a disgusting mind-set.

 

My mistake I wasn’t clear.  The first part of my reply was to put you in the loop so you knew what had happened and decide for yourself.  The second part was in reference to what Pauly said so I should have said:  

Three years ago in a spat with Roberto Mancini, Sarri called him a F*cking P*ofter. Although, I do not condone such behaivour in any way, I do find it a bit excessive that Pauly defines him as a racist homophobic because of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Both The Times and Telegraph wrote on sunday that Conte was expected to be sacked within 48 hours so there might be some news/developments today.

 

Might be, although i wouldn't expect it.  By the end of the week i'd have thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blueblur said:

Yeah Conte is meeting with the board today. Highly likely we'll hear something today or tomorrow about his future. 

Do you have a source for that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Praying for Sarri. OK so he may not be a proven winner but the idea that he will implement an identity of attacking front foot football really does appeal to me and probably most fans. 

Having watched his training methods on YouTube there is no doubt you would see a different style playing on the front football playing 1-2 touch football. Even the way he drills the defence is exciting as it seems unless we are in an ultra low block, we have no idea most of the time. I'm fed up with watching Chelsea and being so disappointed at the lack of attacking intent. Was unbearable against united and got to the point where was literally giving it back to them so we can set up defensively again. 

Its not as if we have been successful under a pragmatist this year so surely its time for a new approach. No doubt he won't stay long term but hopefully he can implement a philosophy and style that can be continued. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kentonio said:

I don't hold it against City that they had a rich guy come in and give them the resources to compete at the top level, that's exactly what we did.

Well that's exactly what I said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barrettinator said:

Chalobah made that decision because Conte couldn't guarantee him decent minutes. RLC could have played a lot of games for us. I heard a lot of "Salah is sh*t" as well a few years ago.

It's okay to admit you no valid reply. We all learn everyday.

Also, football clubs go through a lot of targets every summer and make several inquiries. They obviously don't sign them all but it wouldn't make a story about an inquiry about a player false. Let's not be silly now.

Salah was sh*te for us. Musonda has been sh*te absolutely everywhere he has played. 

RLC and Chalobah weren't good enough to get a lot of minutes at a top 4 club. They needed more minutes at another top club. Drinkwater didn't get any minutes here.

I agree that they could have been rotated in but both of them needed to be starting regularly. They weren't going to be doing that ahead of fabregas Kante and bakayoko (who didn't sound like a sh*t purchase last summer)

Edited by benjsross

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Barrettinator said:

13-14 in my opinion is one of Jose's biggest bottle jobs as a manager. Maybe THE biggest tbh. With 5 games to go, we could have won the league. Threw it away. Wasted opportunity. Thank God United didn't let him sign Rooney later that summer. That's also the summer he decided to bin Lukaku, De Bruyne and Salah for 52 year old Eto'o, Oscar and Cuadrado. Imagine having Rooney on 350k/week right now. He'd be just now about to enter the 5th year of the deal.

You’re combining the summer of 2013 with the January 2014, summer 2014, and January 2015 windows there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...