Andy North

John Terry back at The Bridge

With the current questionable form it seems to me that a number of our players lack a bit of direction or character. I know we have problems up front but I feel there is a lack of backbone at the back. Christensen and Rudiger appear to be good players but lack that bit of know how. Luis and Cahill are not the future and we need to be planning a future for our defence.

Can I suggest that JT be brought back to the club in a coaching role to work specifically with the defence. Maybe Conte, or whoever is the manager, could create a "Steve Bould" (I'll just wash my mouth out) type position. Sorry scrub that, A Steve Clark type role. I just feel that having JT's personality around the club and working with players like Christensen, Rudiger and especially Ampadu could really make a difference.

Villa are singing his praises and he has made a significant impact at the club. He could do that back at The Bridge. Lets face it we know he coming back one day. Why not at the end of the season?

22 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Terry is enjoying playing football too much, i don't think he will swap that for a coaching role at the moment, and i wouldn't blame him either. Coaching is never going to be as enjoyable as playing.

He can't play for ever and has expressed an interest in coaching in the past. Coaching may not match up to playing but compared to sitting around at home or punditry its a fair choice. The moneys better also.

I think John would love to come back to Chelsea and give it a go.

We have no idea JT would make a good coach or manager. Although I agree we could use a "club man made of steel" type in our coaching staff, I would prefer any of our former players learn the trade by putting in a few years, also at different clubs.

Zola was a hell of a player, but as a manager/coach in English leagues quite underwhelming. JT, Drogba, Lampard: none of those names that are touted on a regular basis have proven themselves as coaches (do they even have their badges?). They might be great, for all we know, but it's wishful thinking at this point in time.

22 hours ago, Andy North said:

He can't play for ever and has expressed an interest in coaching in the past. Coaching may not match up to playing but compared to sitting around at home or punditry its a fair choice. The moneys better also.

I think John would love to come back to Chelsea and give it a go.

You're right, he can't play forever, but right now he is and seems determined to keep playing for the time being. He's obviously performing well too, the praise Villa fans give him proves that. If he was playing the odd game every other week and looked finished on the pitch, then he probably would give it up, but he's playing well enough at the level he is at and seem's to be enjoying it. I can't see Terry retiring as a player any time soon.

On 17/03/2018 at 08:43, Valerie said:

We have no idea JT would make a good coach or manager. Although I agree we could use a "club man made of steel" type in our coaching staff, I would prefer any of our former players learn the trade by putting in a few years, also at different clubs.

Zola was a hell of a player, but as a manager/coach in English leagues quite underwhelming. JT, Drogba, Lampard: none of those names that are touted on a regular basis have proven themselves as coaches (do they even have their badges?). They might be great, for all we know, but it's wishful thinking at this point in time.

I’m pretty sure JT has started his but I know Lamps is doing th right now. He did an interview not too long ago where he mentioned he works with the youth teams here as part of his qualifications. 

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 13:10, Scott Harris said:

You're right, he can't play forever, but right now he is and seems determined to keep playing for the time being. He's obviously performing well too, the praise Villa fans give him proves that. If he was playing the odd game every other week and looked finished on the pitch, then he probably would give it up, but he's playing well enough at the level he is at and seem's to be enjoying it. I can't see Terry retiring as a player any time soon.

If Villa get promoted I just can't see JT coming back to play against Chelsea. I know Lamps scored against us but somehow I just can't see JT doing the same. I think he would rather retire having helped Villa get promoted than play against Chelsea.

On 24/05/2018 at 13:31, Kentonio said:

Speaking of JT back at the bridge, apparently he's told Villa if they get promoted he might stay but he won't play against us. :icon_hug:

https://readastonvilla.com/2018/05/24/terry-will-be-able-to-miss-games-against-chelsea-if-villa-gain-promotion/

I think he’d play against us. He’s too much of a professional to let his personal feelings stop him from doing his job. Also it’d be great to have him back at The Bridge in any way, shape or form!

2 minutes ago, charierre said:

It's not to be for JT. Fulham deserved winners. JT is now looking his age on the field,wouldn't surprise me if he now considers retirement.

He does need to consider it,COME back to chels and work with staff

Was worried as soon as it became clear he was thinking about next season. 

Desperately wanted to see him holding that trophy aloft. Desperately wanted to see him back at the Bridge, even if it was just waving from the oppo dug-out. 

But when you start looking past your next game, that's when you slip up.