Jump to content

erskblue

Chelsea v Derby County August 1983.

Recommended Posts


Saturday 7th April 1984

Chelsea 4-0 Fulham.

A convincing home win over our local rivals.

Our scorers: King Kerry Dixon in the 1st and 38th mins, David Speedie in the 18th min and Pat Nevin in the 67th  minutes respectively.

Watched by 31,947 spectators.

Still top of Division 2.

Next up is another local derby.

This time it's Crystal Palace away, on Saturday 14th April 1984.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember us being 3 up early on against Fulham, Joey Jones took Paul Parker out waist high with a tackle but no sending off, a couple of my Fulham mates were in their end and said there were some Chelsea in there, I remember from the shed I saw a little bit of a scuffle in the North Terrace then a policemans helmet flew up in the air!!

The other thing I remember were the papers saying before game  a crowd of 40k was expected, the ground was packed, the shed heaving, then when the attendance was announced and shown on the scoreboard the crowd started to laugh and the shed started singing "there's more than that in here"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just taken a box from my mums loft containing  my programs from 1977/78 until 1990. So am looking through THAT season! I have also found train tickets and match tickets to the away games.  Forger’s would have had a field day back then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Richard P said:

Just taken a box from my mums loft containing  my programs from 1977/78 until 1990. So am looking through THAT season! I have also found train tickets and match tickets to the away games.  Forger’s would have had a field day back then!

Great find mate.

Ha Ha !:biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 21:51, chi blue said:

Remember us being 3 up early on against Fulham, Joey Jones took Paul Parker out waist high with a tackle but no sending off, a couple of my Fulham mates were in their end and said there were some Chelsea in there, I remember from the shed I saw a little bit of a scuffle in the North Terrace then a policemans helmet flew up in the air!!

The other thing I remember were the papers saying before game  a crowd of 40k was expected, the ground was packed, the shed heaving, then when the attendance was announced and shown on the scoreboard the crowd started to laugh and the shed started singing "there's more than that in here"

Ach, Joey was just being 'committed' to the Chelsea cause !:Connie_threaten:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Richard P said:

Just taken a box from my mums loft containing  my programs from 1977/78 until 1990. So am looking through THAT season! I have also found train tickets and match tickets to the away games.  Forger’s would have had a field day back then!

Stick em on here mate. 

I converted a garden shed into a man cave. Lots of Chelsea photos and tickets pinned all over. Returned from holiday to find the felt roof had blown  loose ruining pretty much all of them.

 

Edited by Ewell CFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crystal Palace 0-1 Chelsea

Saturday, 14th April 1984 at 15:00

Our scorer: Pat Nevin in the 83rd minute.

We drop to 2nd.

In front of 20,540 spectators.

Next up, is Shewsbury Town at The Bridge on Sat 21st April 1984.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, erskblue said:

Crystal Palace 0-1 Chelsea

Saturday, 14th April 1984 at 15:00

Our scorer: Pat Nevin in the 83rd minute.

We drop to 2nd.

In front of 20,540 spectators.

Next up, is Shewsbury Town at The Bridge on Sat 21st April 1984.

Palace were getting about 5,000 average gate. We were given the Homesdale end so Palace were down the Sainsbury’s end! Normally you got the corner section but we had easily 15,000 there. We had terrace and seats in the Arthur Wait stand and loads bought seats in their main stand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Richard P said:

Palace were getting about 5,000 average gate. We were given the Homesdale end so Palace were down the Sainsbury’s end! Normally you got the corner section but we had easily 15,000 there. We had terrace and seats in the Arthur Wait stand and loads bought seats in their main stand.

I think Ron Noades the palace chairman at the time said there was 15k Chelsea there. Chatting to a couple of my mates a few weeks ago from my school days that I have grown up with and still see, both Fulham fans and they mentioned the 5-3 at Craven THAT season and they said there words "never seen such away support" "Chelsea were every f**king where" probably not the only time home supporters would of said that during our favourite season, Brighton, Palace, Pompey, City, Grimsby to name a few

Edited by chi blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, erskblue said:

Boyne posted the above picture of 'The Gaffer' in the Vintage Blues pictures and film thread.

Hope you don't mind me copying in into this thread mate.

Any excuse Ersk for you to put up another picture of the boss!! I wonder if the youngsters in the future will go on about a season in the last 15 years or so like us lot do about THAT season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/04/2019 at 14:51, Richard P said:

Palace were getting about 5,000 average gate. We were given the Homesdale end so Palace were down the Sainsbury’s end! Normally you got the corner section but we had easily 15,000 there. We had terrace and seats in the Arthur Wait stand and loads bought seats in their main stand.

Really hot day me and my mates had been to I think our first ever West End nightclub Bananas the night before £10 to get in 2p a drink ha ha. My mate  sat down at half time on the terraces and only got up about 15 minutes into the second half all the beer sweating out of him. One of the greatest sights I've ever seen the stand to our right all the Chelsea waving us waving back and then the pitch invasion at the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Image result for pat nevin v crystal palace

 

Great day that was, I was there, in fact I was at every Palace/Chelsea game in the 80s. I'd been boring my old man for weeks about Pat Nevin (dad was Palace) and actually he had quite a quiet game that day as Henry Hughton was kicking lumps out of him. Then suddenly he picked up the ball and went on a run past 3palace players including Hughton. Then a few minutes later he popped up with the winner...the old man gave a look that said...dont you dare say it ? Im in a photo of this game in front of a Chelsea union jack  but managed to ruin it as i was scratching my head with a programme at the time.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/04/2019 at 20:40, Richard P said:

One man went to mow plus other songs under the roof of the Arthur Wait Stand was really loud. We were in the old away section from the corner flag by the Homesdale up and beyond the halfway line.

Good acoustics in both the pitch side stands at Palace.

Went there with a mate, lost him at half time, shortly after he drifted away from our crowd and moved away.

Didnt see him till 98 waiting for a delayed flight back from Copenhagen in the CL. His opening words 14 years later were “ Where the f..k did you go at half time”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fillerywhereru said:

  ?

I'm in a photo of this game in front of a Chelsea union jack  but managed to ruin it as i was scratching my head with a programme at the time.

Remembering you as I do, that does not surprise me.

Did your Dad ever buy you Chelsea merchandise for your birthday or xmas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...