Chelsea v Derby County August 1983.

• 3 weeks later...

On 25/07/2019 at 10:23, Ewell CFC said:

I occasionally talk on the phone at work to a Kerry Dickson! 

My first name is Kerry, and still occasionally when I say my name the odd person will joke and say what Kerry Dixon!! It's gradually got less and less as the years go by, the hey day of the mid 80's every body would say it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/08/2019 at 22:45, chi blue said:

My first name is Kerry, and still occasionally when I say my name the odd person will joke and say what Kerry Dixon!! It's gradually got less and less as the years go by, the hey day of the mid 80's every body would say it.

Ha. The Kerry I talk to is a she.

For some reason KD used to antogonise my non CFC mates back then; the Kerry Gold headlines when he’d had a good afternoon used to piss em off.

10 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

@chi blue When they say Kerry Dixon you should say, 'No Kerry Gold!'

I bet that would get a reaction.

I've only met one Kerry, when I was at junior school though a few girls since with a name pronounced the same way yet spelt differently like Ceri.

There was a lad in my school for a very brief time who spelt it the Welsh way Ceri

• 3 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/10/15/pat-nevin-recalls-past-glory-against-newcastle-and-highlights-f?cardIndex=0-1

Ahead of this coming weekend’s fixture against the Geordies at the Bridge, columnist and Chelsea legend Pat Nevin remembers his involvement in a meeting 36 years ago and an important lesson learned, a lesson just as important today…

For once I would like to get just a little bit nostalgic here. I always have a nice memory to fall back on when Newcastle United turn up at Stamford Bridge. In my first season playing for Chelsea it was this game, and one specific moment in this game, that started my relationship with Chelsea fans. It wasn’t a goal or even an assist but a mazy dribble the length of the pitch beating, depending in who you talk to, six or nine players en route.

Some of them might have been beaten twice, I will admit.

The reason for the uncertainty is that the game wasn’t filmed, something that is hard to imagine these days when every game and just about every training session is on camera, whether that is the senior team or the youths. So I can exaggerate how many players I went round if I want to, but I don’t because sometimes a memory, however blurred by the years, is a pleasant enough thing to have. Even more pleasant are the consequences.nding in who you talk to, six or nine players en route. Some of them might have been beaten twice, I will admit.

Back then Newcastle had a former European Player of the Year in their side in one Kevin Keegan, alongside other world class players such as Peter Beardsley and Chris Waddle. Years later Chris and I became friends through the media, while Peter and I became team-mates at Everton but it was Keegan who had the biggest influence on me that day. As we battered them 4-0 and I was having one of those days when beating players was embarrassingly easy, I noticed that with five minutes to go, Keegan, a player of world renown and now well into his thirties, was working harder than any other player on the pitch.

I loved the fact he had such a positive attitude even in those hopeless circumstances. He knew there was no chance of winning the game but there was a pride in his performance that shone through for me. I might have been getting the acclaim of the fans and all the headlines the next day as well, and Kevin Keegan was being ultra-positive about me to the assembled media, but the real lesson came from watching him.

It is a lesson that not every player takes on board, it isn’t always easy when you are being lauded by everyone to see the value of having pride in your work even when things are not go so well. I watched Newcastle a few weeks back against Manchester United and I saw an echo of that spirit, which is handy for them, as the week before when losing to Leicester the spirit was notable only for its absence.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/10/19/remember-when--a-new-chelsea-thrashed-newcastle

REMEMBER WHEN… A NEW CHELSEA THRASHED NEWCASTLE

Thirty-six years ago  (!) :oldboy:   a remodelled Chelsea side hosted former European Footballer of the Year and England captain Kevin Keegan who had chosen the challenge lifting Newcastle out of the second division. What followed was a game to remember for the London club…

In mid-November 1983 John Neal was urging his promotion hopefuls to bounce back after a midweek League Cup defeat and to close a four-point gap between the resurgent Blues and visitors Newcastle, as-yet unbeaten in Division Two.

Keegan approached the game on a run of nine goals in 10 league games and with a ringing endorsement from former team-mate Joey Jones, now of Chelsea, in the press. ‘He was brilliant against us last season,’ the Wales defender warned.

In the event, Jones and co. kept Keegan in check and the Blues ran out 4-0 winners thanks to a 25-yarder from Nigel Spackman, Peter Rhodes-Brown’s drilled effort and two goals for David Speedie. A young Chelsea star also made his mark in emphatic fashion.

Two-goal David Speedie

‘Kevin Keegan didn’t know what hit him and Chelsea’s destruction of his famed Newcastle was crushingly spectacular,’ reported Nigel Clarke in the Daily Mirror. ‘The little man can hardly ever have had such an ineffective game and he was overshadowed completely by Pat Nevin, his opposite number.’

The Blues have usually been better off for a Scot in our midst, and Nevin, reviving memories of an earlier north-of-the-border maestro, Charlie Cooke, announced his coming of age with a string of mazy dribbles. One sensational run took him the length of the field, past five opponents, with a final pass that should have ended in another goal.

Ever the good sport, Keegan was first to congratulate the young winger at the final whistle. ‘The referee should have inspected his boots to see if he had glue on them,’ joked the Newcastle legend afterwards. ‘I was very impressed with him.’

Kevin Keegan trying to get to grips with Pat Nevin

A more maudlin take came from the Geordies’ under-fire manager Arthur Cox. ‘That’s the worst beating we’ve had since Chelsea put six past us three years ago,’ he groaned. Fortunately for viewers in the north-east, an industrial dispute meant no ‘Match of the Day’ that night.

Even local Newcastle newspaper the Journal was impressed with the hosts, though, observing that ‘Newcastle were swept up in this regeneration of a Chelsea side now becoming part of the fashionable London footballing scene once again.’

Kerry Dixon rising high

For the Mirror’s reporter, too, the 30,000-plus crowd and Chelsea’s football were a throwback: ‘a reminder of the good old days: the flavour, the flair and the fun of a side that ruled London for almost a decade.’

Edited by erskblue