ForeverCarefree

Following Our Nearest & Dearest Rivals, 2018/2019

For the sake of pedantic fascination... I had a look through Guardiola's squads for non-naturalised Africans:

Riyad Mahrez - Man City

Yaya Toure - Man City (backup, then released)

Kelechi Iheanacho - Man City (backup, then sold)

Mehdi Benatia - Bayern (backup)

Seydou Keita - Barcelona (backup)

Yaya Touré - Barcelona (sold)

Samuel Eto'o - Barcelona (sold)

25 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

For the sake of pedantic fascination... I had a look through Guardiola's squads for non-naturalised Africans:

Thinking about it, Chelsea are probably one of the few big clubs to have consistently had an African presence in their squad over a sustained period. 

We've had the obvious ones like Drogba, Mikel, Essien and Kalou but then also signed the likes Geremi, Baba Rhaman, Eto'o, 

Can't think of too many high profile Africans that have played for Real Madrid, Manchester United, Barcalona, Bayern Munich. 

4 hours ago, Stim said:

Alex Ferguson rarely signed African players as well. For some reason I think it was because he didn't like that they go to the AFCON mid season every now and then. So maybe he just hated AFCON eligibility. 

To be fair, in the past every time we have been linked with an African player, that has always been my first thought - the fact we could lose them every other season at a crunch time of the season, so I can well understand some coaches viewpoint.

55 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Thinking about it, Chelsea are probably one of the few big clubs to have consistently had an African presence in their squad over a sustained period. 

We've had the obvious ones like Drogba, Mikel, Essien and Kalou but then also signed the likes Geremi, Baba Rhaman, Eto'o, 

Can't think of too many high profile Africans that have played for Real Madrid, Manchester United, Barcalona, Bayern Munich. 

(I'm clearly in a trawling through stats mood today...)

Out of the 15 African players who have won the Premier League:

Chelsea - 6 (Geremi, Drogba, Kalou, Essien, Mikel, Moses)

Arsenal - 4 (Lauren, K Touré, Wreh, Kanu)

Leicester - 3 (Mahrez, Amartey, Schlupp)

Man City - 2 (K Touré, Y Touré)

Man Utd - 1 (Fortune)

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

And what do these clubs have in common? More evidence that Pep hates African's... :sofa:

To add to that, out of the 19 African players who have won the European Cup/Champions League:

Chelsea - 4 (Mikel, Kalou, Drogba, Essien)

Barcelona - 3 (Keita, Y Touré, Eto'o)

Inter - 3 (Muntari, Mariga, Eto'o)

Ajax - 2 (George, Kanu)

Liverpool - 2 (Grobbelaar, Traoré) 

Porto - 2 (Madjer, McCarthy)

Real Madrid - 2 (Geremi, Hakmi) - note that Hakimi was not in the squad for the 2018 final and made two CL appearances total)

Bayern - 1 (Kuffour)

Marseille - 1 (Pelé)

Consider that we've only won it once...

It also occurred to me that Mourinho alone is responsible for four of those players (McCarthy, Mariga, Muntari, Eto'o), and signed all four of Chelsea's (Mikel, Kalou, Drogba, Essien). 

2 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Well going by the media Chelsea fans are racist.......and in the eyes of rivals, racist pigs. Nevermind we have had most of the great African players for many many years now and the fans going nuts for them. Nevermind Drogba is one of the Kings of SB. Cant pass judgement on pep the Saint but I have always found him off somehow.......I could be fooled in believing that he is completely the opposite when not on camera, like so many have claimed.