ForeverCarefree

Following Our Nearest & Dearest Rivals, 2018/2019

Liverpool have been very good this season but so much has gone their way overall. They may well go on to win a trophy this season but I am not convinced they will just continue where they left off next season.  Klopp won the Bundesliga in Germany but was never able to build on it. A new season always brings new challenges and challengers. We need to focus on improving our own team so that hopefully we can be one of those challengers next season.

Incredible, to do it without 2 of their front 3 shows this team isn't really about individual class like City, but is really about the brilliance of Klopp.

Shame we'll be hearing about this 'Special European Night at Anfield'TM for eternity, but at least it happened to Barca. 10 years on from Ovrebo that is a silver lining.

Come on Ajax.

3 minutes ago, Jonty said:

Incredible, to do it without 2 of their front 3 shows this team isn't really about individual class like City, but is really about the brilliance of Klopp.

Shame we'll be hearing about this 'Special European Night at Anfield'TM for eternity, but at least it happened to Barca. 10 years on from Ovrebo that is a silver lining.

Come on Ajax.

That's not true though is it. They have the best squad in Europe.

34 minutes ago, forbzy said:

Liverpool have been very good this season but so much has gone their way overall. They may well go on to win a trophy this season but I am not convinced they will just continue where they left off next season.  Klopp won the Bundesliga in Germany but was never able to build on it. A new season always brings new challenges and challengers. We need to focus on improving our own team so that hopefully we can be one of those challengers next season.

The good thing about Liverpool is they have a quality spine to the team, a foundation of a quality team and I dont think they have many older players. They can improve on selected positions like a centre back and maybe another position and bring in a better class of forward to compete with Firminio. The squad is in a good place and just needs a few upgrades, took years and some big signings but also some very good signings like Robertson and youth products. 

I've been looking at the Redcafe forum and most have respect for Klopp and then asking what has gone wrong at OT.

Some of the other threads are similar to us here about having a DOF. 

They seem to think that after 4 different managers they have very different squad players and shows a lack of direction and short term thinking.

1 hour ago, Ernie_blue said:

That's not true though is it. They have the best squad in Europe.

Other than the GK and Van Dijk (and arguably Fabinho and Mane, although don't think either were highly hot commodities), Klopp has assembled a team of non-superstars and made them greater than the sum of their parts - TAA from the academy, Robertson from relegated Hull, Matip on a free transfer, Henderson who was a punchline for his first few years at Liverpool, Shaqiri from relegated Stoke, Salah who was dreadful at Chelsea, Firmino from a midtable Bundesliga team, and Origi who was almost relegated last season with Wolfsburg.

Whether they now have the best squad in Europe is personal opinion (and personally I think City, Barca, and Juventus have the 3 best squads) - but if they do it's because of Klopp making this team look better than it probably is. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Jonty said:

Other than the GK and Van Dijk (and arguably Fabinho and Mane, although don't think either were highly hot commodities), Klopp has assembled a team of non-superstars and made them greater than the sum of their parts - TAA from the academy, Robertson from relegated Hull, Matip on a free transfer, Henderson who was a punchline for his first few years at Liverpool, Shaqiri from relegated Stoke, Salah who was dreadful at Chelsea, Firmino from a midtable Bundesliga team, and Origi who was almost relegated last season with Wolfsburg.

Whether they now have the best squad in Europe is personal opinion (and personally I think City, Barca, and Juventus have the 3 best squads) - but if they do it's because of Klopp making this team look better than it probably is. 

I was saying City isn't about individual class which you indicated. That's why I also said City have the best squad in Europe, just need to look at the bench.

Edited by Ernie_blue

Klopp has managed to install a great team spirit at Liverpool and it has served them well. They don't necessarily have the best squad in terms of individual talent. I think City are better in that regard. But as a team Liverpool are hard to better at the moment. Look at their scorers tonight as great examples. Winaldjum and Origi were hardly top of the shopping lists for many teams.

It will be interesting if Liverpool get Ajax in the final I think. Ajax have a similar team spirit and should not be underestimated despite lacking the individual star names.

29 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

I was saying City isn't about individual class which you indicated. That's why I also said City have the best squad in Europe, just need to look at the bench.

Ah apologies I misread your comment - my initial reference to individual class though was in the context that City is a great team because they have 2+ high quality players for each position (as you note), Liverpool is a great team because they play greater than the sum of their individual parts.

30 minutes ago, Jonty said:

Ah apologies I misread your comment - my initial reference to individual class though was in the context that City is a great team because they have 2+ high quality players for each position (as you note), Liverpool is a great team because they play greater than the sum of their individual parts.

I get ya, apologies as i initially misread your post. Yeah I agree with you and your earlier post about Liverpool, Klopp has made a strong group of players with some big transfers but also some very good signings like you say and some youth players coming through too. 

If it come down to it, who would you rather win it Liverpool or Tottenham?

Much rather Liverpool in all honesty, they've won it before so as annoying as their fans will be, we've seen it happen in the past.

Spurs winning it would put them level with us, ruin our only team in London song and it would be all round awful.

Ajax, help.

3 hours ago, JMaher94 said:

Much rather Liverpool in all honesty, they've won it before so as annoying as their fans will be, we've seen it happen in the past.

Spurs winning it would put them level with us, ruin our only team in London song and it would be all round awful.

Ajax, help.

Completely agree, for exactly the same reasons. Liverpool have done it before and the aftermath will be something we have heard before too, yawn.

if spurs win it, it will be bloody horrific. They are a joke team right now, bottling bridesmaids, if that changes with the biggest cup competition of all...well...

Just pray Ajax can continue their magic until the end of the month.

4 hours ago, JMaher94 said:

Ajax, help.

I think people are underrating the amount of phlegm that will be produced from their fans endlessly parroting the words 'six times' rather than 'five times'... you know, with that accent.

Feel a tiny bit better this morning. Come to terms with the fact that Liverpool are the best team in Europe at the moment. Still a bitter pill to swallow though.

9 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Recent seasons have confirmed for me just how far football has fallen in quality over the last 8 years. How many times have teams come back from losing positions in this competition in recent years? It's got to the point where a 4-0 lead isn't even good enough anymore.

It's happening every season, PSG do it all the time, these comebacks just seem to keep happening. 

10 years ago I would never have been confident on any side bottling a 3-0 lead in a first leg, now I just don't know, even when Barcelona won 3-0 I was fuming with Dembele not finishing those two chances he had at the end, I knew that can come back to bite them very easily. 

Let me preface this by saying that I, on the whole, can't stand Liverpool. I think that the conduct of their fans (without discussing Heysel, etc.) is generally hubristic, cringeworthy, and borderline delusional. I find the bizarre hive mind and usually unwarranted entitlement to exceptionalism which surrounds the club to be both concerning and irritating. But fair f**king play to them... last night was an extraordinary achievement. It was exceptional, it was a "famous European night at Anfield"; the theatrics and hagiographies were, for once, not pandering, but justified.

For the first time in perhaps a generation, this is a Barcelona side who aren't perfectly comfortable and fluent in building slowly from the back. Klopp recognised that, and instructed his rag-tag frontline* to press, needle and harry Barca in their own half. It worked perfectly. Barca were never comfortable, created little, and after the tie was brought level, never looked like coming back. They, to a man, were comprehensively defeated, in terms of physicality, desire, ability - even their cheating was less good than Liverpool's.

Did you ever think that you'd ever see a Barca side, 3-0 down in a season-defining match, revert to 4-4-2 and put 9 men behind the ball? Can you ever imagine that a Barcelona side playing Guardiola's style (or at least mimicking it) wouldn't have simply put their foot on the ball and throttled the life out of the game? Do you think that we'd ever have been permitted to forget why Guardiola considers dominating possession to be primarily a defensive measure? Valverde's drift from tradition may have added an extra element to Barca's play, however it seems like something more fundamental is ebbing away. They were truly atrocious last night, as poor as I've ever seen any Barcelona side.

I can't even bring myself to be annoyed or snipe about that match - last night I witnessed something truly extraordinary. Bravo Liverpool...

...didn't do it at the Nou Camp, with ten men, and José Bosingwa at centre back though, did you?

*(which consisted of, let's not forget, a player they signed from relegated Stoke, and a centre-forward voted in Ligue 1's worst team of the season a couple of years ago, who had also played 492 minutes before last night).

f**king disaster. Glad I didn't watch it. I kept checking the score expecting Barca to score a couple and tie over and was horrified at how things developed and it turned into one of THE famous European nights at Anfield..................

Having said that, you have to admire what they did. Sure Barca aren't the  team of seasons back but to turn around a 3-0 deficit with a couple of key players missing is pretty remarkable and just underlines what a good coach Klopp is. No coincidence that the teams managed by Pep and Klopp have been head & shoulders above the rest this season. Sure they have decent squads but the right squad still has to be assembled and coached to play the right way. All we can hope is that Sarri can narrow that gap next season.

21 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

*(which consisted of, let's not forget, a player they signed from relegated Stoke, and a centre-forward voted in Ligue 1's worst team of the season a couple of years ago, who had also played 492 minutes before last night).

A decent reminder for some that believe the manager doesn’t mean much in football. Klopp really is a fantastic leader and manager for them.

Not a lot of managers would make Henderson and Wijnaldum look like some of the best midfielders in Europe. But he’s done that.

1 hour ago, PloKoon13 said:

Let me preface this by saying that I, on the whole, can't stand Liverpool. I think that the conduct of their fans (without discussing Heysel, etc.) is generally hubristic, cringeworthy, and borderline delusional. I find the bizarre hive mind and usually unwarranted entitlement to exceptionalism which surrounds the club to be both concerning and irritating. But fair f**king play to them... last night was an extraordinary achievement. It was exceptional, it was a "famous European night at Anfield"; the theatrics and hagiographies were, for once, not pandering, but justified.

For the first time in perhaps a generation, this is a Barcelona side who aren't perfectly comfortable and fluent in building slowly from the back. Klopp recognised that, and instructed his rag-tag frontline* to press, needle and harry Barca in their own half. It worked perfectly. Barca were never comfortable, created little, and after the tie was brought level, never looked like coming back. They, to a man, were comprehensively defeated, in terms of physicality, desire, ability - even their cheating was less good than Liverpool's.

Did you ever think that you'd ever see a Barca side, 3-0 down in a season-defining match, revert to 4-4-2 and put 9 men behind the ball? Can you ever imagine that a Barcelona side playing Guardiola's style (or at least mimicking it) wouldn't have simply put their foot on the ball and throttled the life out of the game? Do you think that we'd ever have been permitted to forget why Guardiola considers dominating possession to be primarily a defensive measure? Valverde's drift from tradition may have added an extra element to Barca's play, however it seems like something more fundamental is ebbing away. They were truly atrocious last night, as poor as I've ever seen any Barcelona side.

I can't even bring myself to be annoyed or snipe about that match - last night I witnessed something truly extraordinary. Bravo Liverpool...

...didn't do it at the Nou Camp, with ten men, and José Bosingwa at centre back though, did you?

Great post!