erskblue

Why do we always go back to our childhood for our favourite World Cup tournaments?

I just checked. Willie Donnachie did play three more  for Scotland after the 1978 World Cup.

Against Austria, Norway and Portugal all in 1978.

The same three games that Man Utd's Martin Bchan played in in his last three games for Scotland.

Scotland only had four players in their squad in 1978 who had actually played in the 1974 World Cup.

Sandy Jardine, Martin Buchan, Kenny Dalglish and Joe Jordan. Willie Donnachie and Gordon McQueen were both in the squad for 1974, but neither played.

McQueen injured knee ligaments against a post in that 'Willie Donnachie OG game' at Hampden in May 1978 and travelled, but never played in Argentina 1978.

On 25 June 2018 at 00:17, DaRick said:

In my case, I go back to 2006, when Australia qualified for the last 16 after not having appeared for 32 years. 

Mind you, by then I was a teenager. 

Still my personal favourite as an Australian.

I never thought I would see the day when Australia not only qualified for the WC but also advanced to the knockout stages. Such a shame that Fabio Grosso had to dive his way to Italy's victory.

Posted (edited)
On 22/06/2018 at 04:58, erskblue said:

Why do we always go back to our childhood for our favourite World Cup tournaments?

Just like we always we remember our first kiss yet not the first with later girlfriends.

The first one leaves more of an impression as it creates a new experience, IMO.

Edited by Strider6003

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 17:17, Ewell CFC said:

Sorry Willie. I couldn’t resist!

B912CC51-48A3-4578-AD95-18A5F98584DD.png

I still think Willie Donnachie is going to play it 'up the line' and not back to his own goal !:biggrin:

Mexico 86 for me. Long hot summer. Playing football non stop at school and when I got home. Washing my Chelsea kit every night so it would be clean for the next day. Great England side. And witnessing the genius of Maradona.  

On 09/06/2019 at 23:57, Strider6003 said:

I might have agreed if it were not for the 'hand of god'.

Agree with that part. But I had never seen anyone play like that before. Plus he took the limelight away from that w**ker Platini who was supposed to be the ‘star’ of the tournament. 

23 minutes ago, stevo said:

Agree with that part. But I had never seen anyone play like that before. Plus he took the limelight away from that w**ker Platini who was supposed to be the ‘star’ of the tournament. 

Yeah Maradona was the player, by far, of the 1986 World Cup.

And yes I know 100%, that he cheated big time with the 'hand of god'. goal

Platini had had a brilliant Euro 1984 Tournament to be fair though.

1998 was the best and the first one for me, I was 13. I think you tend to enjoy football more as a child or teenager, I think the era pre Roman for us 1995-2003 was the best time watching football. Its hard to explain but it was just special. Nowadays I don’t watch footy outside Chelsea much, when you have kids, husband, job and mortgage your mind drifts elsewhere I’m afraid!

Posted (edited)

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/05/31/brazil-1982-the-most-gifted-but-ultimately-flawed-midfield-in-history/

One of my favourite, in fact my all time favourite international side. Brazil 1982.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2019/04/30/zico-the-colossal-genius-of-brazils-timeless-son/

And one of my favourite all time players, Zico.

Edited by erskblue