Sign in to follow this  
JMaher94

Aleksandr Golovin

12 minutes ago, ScrubsLaneCFC said:

If we just got Jorginho we have kante, fab, plus ddw and RB, is he a backup or are we scared to lose Kante? 

We're probably going to play with a three man midfield this season so need more options. 

If rumour is to be believed Drinkwater will be sold. 

So our midfield options are

Kante/Bakayoko

Jorginho/Fabregas       Barkley/Golovin

Just now, ForeverCarefree said:

We're probably going to play with a three man midfield this season so need more options. 

Kante/Bakayoko

I think the idea is that Jorginho is deep lying.  Kante/Bak as a box to box and Golovin/Barkley as a more forward focused player.  

Jorginho/Fab

Kante/Bak

Golovin/Barkley

2 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Kante/Bakayoko

Not to shabby that at all is it, especially if Baka rediscovers the man he was at Monaco 

1 minute ago, TheChelsRVA said:

I think the idea is that Jorginho is deep lying.  Kante/Bak as a box to box and Golovin/Barkley as a more forward focused player.  

Jorginho/Fab

Kante/Bak

Golovin/Barkley

I might be wrong but I think AVB (or it might have been Ancelotti as part of his midfield diamond) tried to implement the deep lying play maker when he took over Chelsea and it bombed quickly. 

The ball transitions from defence to attack really quickly in the Premier League and it's something you often see commented upon by managers and players that are new to the league that it's one of the biggest adjustments you have to make. 

I don't think Jorginho will be given the time and space in those deep positions, I would expect Kante to continue to anchor the midfield and then Jorginho to be given licence to find space to try and dictate play a little further forward relieving him of too much defensive burden. 

1 minute ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I might be wrong but I think AVB (or it might have been Ancelotti as part of his midfield diamond) tried to implement the deep lying play maker when he took over Chelsea and it bombed quickly. 

The ball transitions from defence to attack really quickly in the Premier League and it's something you often see commented upon by managers and players that are new to the league that it's one of the biggest adjustments you have to make. 

I don't think Jorginho will be given the time and space in those deep positions, I would expect Kante to continue to anchor the midfield and then Jorginho to be given licence to find space to try and dictate play a little further forward relieving him of too much defensive burden. 

Jorginho was able to work that role against City in the Champions league perfectly and killed City's high press. If it can work against the best team in the league, i imagine it can work against the rest. 

I would have prefered Savic instead of Golovin, we could use some strength both in the air and on the ground in central midfield alongside Kante and Jorginho. Unlike Bakayoko, Savic is very technical as well and has a good shot.

10 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Jorginho was able to work that role against City in the Champions league perfectly and killed City's high press. If it can work against the best team in the league, i imagine it can work against the rest. 

Didn't Napoli lose both of their games to City? 

11 minutes ago, comtrend said:

I would have prefered Savic instead of Golovin, we could use some strength both in the air and on the ground in central midfield alongside Kante and Jorginho. Unlike Bakayoko, Savic is very technical as well and has a good shot.

Isn't he valued at something like £100m? No way we pay that for a midfielder who is nothing more than potential. 

10 minutes ago, enigma said:

Isn't he valued at something like £100m? No way we pay that for a midfielder who is nothing more than potential. 

When Barcelona was interessted earlier the rumour was 80mil euro, wich they thought was to high. I doubt he will go for more then 50mil-60mil though. He has played 3 seasons in Serie A with increasing numbers of goals and assist, last season he scored 12 goals from central midfield in the league.

57 minutes ago, comtrend said:

Think most would too, Savic is a machine of a player but you will be parting with Pogba type money for that player. We have just shelled out over £50 million on Jorginho so it wouldn't be likely to through double that on another midfielder given we still have DD, Bakayoko, Cesc, Kante and of course RLC.

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

AVB's issue was playing with a high line without any form of pressing from his forwards. It meant teams could ping long balls over the defenders all day and quick strikers would slaughter our slow defence.

On 14/07/2018 at 17:03, TheFunkeyGibbon said:
On 14/07/2018 at 16:06, Gol15 said:
Pretty sure he's already our player.

Has he been shown signing a contract? A picture at the Bridge with his shirt? Then nothing has been done.

You'll get your picture tomorrow dont worry mate

I might be in the minority here, but I hope this doesn't happen. I think Golovin is a good young player, but I just don't see anything special in him. He's very dynamic, a good dribbler, a hard worker and scores the odd spectacular goal, but he is neither a major goal threat, a physical presence or special at passing the ball.

With Jorginho and Kante we are well set as far as hard work, good positioning and build up play from deep go. What we lack is a player who can score goals from midfield, a physical presence or is good at providing the final ball (Jorginho won't be able to do that consistently due to his deep position).

Our current options for that position are Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Cesc, Barkley and RLC. The first two are not really a good fit, because they are not good enough offensively for that position. I would keep one of them (preferrably Bakayoko, but maybe Drinkwater if we get problems with our HG quota) as backup for Kante and sell/loan out the other.

Out of the other three Cesc gives us great link up play, the ability to consistently play the final ball. He also shouldn't have any problems with Sarri's high tempo football as he is one of our most technical players and his defensive deficiency's and lack of dynamism will not expose us too much with Kante and Jorginho behind him. And he might even start scoring more goals again playing further forward, because at Barca and Arsenal he always used to score quite a lot. Only thing he lacks is the physicality.

Barkley isn't bad physically, very direct and has proven to be a goal threat as well as being capable of creating a good number of chances in the past. He's not the greatest defensively, but he will do his share of hard work, and again, with Kante and Jorginho as his partners, that wouldn't be his main job. I'm not sure about his overall quality, but imo he deserves a shot. Maybe he'll come good.

RLC is strong physically, good at protecting the ball and driving through midfield, has good link up play and is a decent passer of the ball. Not sure about his work rate and his intensity, but the talent is there for all to see and maybe Sarri can unlock it. Also as with the other two I think that with Kante and Jorginho partnering him, he might just get away with having a little less stamina than your average midfielder.

So in conclusion, I think Golovin is not as good a goalscorer as Cesc and Barkley, not as much of a physical presence as RLC and Barkley, and not as good a passer as Cesc, and not as good a dribbler as RLC. He's a pretty good allrounder, but the only thing that Golovin is really better at than our options for this third midfield spot, is his tremendous energy and workrate. And given the fact that our options are not only free, but also HG, and also taking into consideration, that in Mason Mount, we have another young english prospect returning from loan next year, I'd much rather save the money and stick with what we've got. I'd only sign another midfielder if he really is the real deal, like for example Milinkovic-Savic, but that's not likely to happen, and I have to say that I'm pretty happy with our current options.

On 17/07/2018 at 14:33, ForeverCarefree said:

I think it was Ancelotti, he was using Deco there.

Under AVB we played a high line which was hopeless for Terry. I’m not recommending or not recommending a high line but our defence now is much faster. Faster is not always better of course. 

This one doesn't seem to be gathering much pace at all, surely if we were seriously in for him, it would be an easy deal to get done. 

Maybe sarri is happy with what we've got and Golovin will end up at Monaco. 

Certainly isn't an area we are desperate in.

2 minutes ago, big blue said:

This one doesn't seem to be gathering much pace at all, surely if we were seriously in for him, it would be an easy deal to get done. 

Maybe sarri is happy with what we've got and Golovin will end up at Monaco. 

Certainly isn't an area we are desperate in.

Yeah, but it's Chelsea, we take ages to get anything done these days.

AVB has nothing to do with Chelsea anymore, why do people need to bring up his tactics all the time it doesn't matter now if deep midfielder worked or didn't work before...