Maurizio Sarri Officially Appointed

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2018/7/14/sarri-joins-chelsea

Sarri, who has signed a three-year contract, said: ‘I am very happy to be coming to Chelsea and the Premier League. It is an exciting new period in my career.

‘I look forward to starting work and meeting the players on Monday ahead of travelling to Australia, where I will be able to get to know the squad and begin our match action.

‘I hope we can provide some entertaining football for our fans, and that we will be competing for trophies at the end of the season, which is what this club deserves.’

Director Marina Granovskaia added: ‘We are delighted to welcome Maurizio and are looking forward to him bringing his football philosophy to Chelsea.
‘Maurizio’s Napoli side played some of the most exciting football in Europe, impressing with their attacking approach and dynamism, and his coaching methods significantly improved the players at his disposal.

‘He has plenty of experience in Serie A and the Champions League and we know he is relishing the chance to work in the Premier League.’

Edited by dR3

Posting the Sarri fact file from the article here for those who don't have the time to click through it.

1. Born in Bagnoli, a working-class area of Naples, Sarri began his coaching career in a part-time capacity while working in the banking industry following a short spell as an amateur player.

2. In 2000, he accepted a role with AC Sansovino in the sixth tier of Italian football, and told the club he would quit coaching for good if he failed to win the league.
The team finished as champions.

3. It was during his time at Sansovino that Sarri earned the nickname ‘Mister 33’ after preparing 33 set-plays for use at dead-ball situations.
It was an indication of his tactical nous and meticulous attention to detail.

4. Further jobs around the Italian lower leagues followed before Sarri joined Serie B side Pescara. From there, he moved to Arezzo.
The team were struggling on his arrival and eventually went down, but Sarri provided them with some moments to savour, including a 1-0 win over AC Milan in the Italian Cup.

5. In 2011, he took charge of Sorrento, and it was his work there, where he was able to implement his own footballing philosophy, which led to a return to Serie B a year later, this time with Empoli.
After narrowly missing out on promotion in 2013/14, Sarri’s side secured their passage to the top flight of Italian football at the end of the following campaign.

6. Having just come up, many outsiders felt as though Empoli were destined to go straight back down. Sarri though, sensing what was required to ensure their safety, set his young team up in a way that made them difficult to break down, while at the same time playing a fluid style of football.
They finished in a highly respectable 15th position and recorded impressive wins over the likes of Lazio and Napoli, the club he would go on to join that summer as a replacement for Rafa Benitez.

7. Sarri inspired and improved Napoli, who had finished fifth the previous campaign.
In his first year they finished second, achieving a 19-point swing and scoring 80 league goals while playing a fast-paced, free-flowing style of football which won admirers both inside and outside of the club.

8. The departure of star striker Gonzalo Higuain, who joined Juventus in the summer of 2016, brought out the best in Sarri’s management.
Rather than dip into the transfer market to recruit an expensive replacement, he tweaked the side and asked certain players to perform in roles they were unaccustomed to previously, to great effect.

9. The decision to move Dries Mertens, previously a wide man, into a central striker’s position, and switch Marek Hamsik into a role on the left of a midfield three had a liberating effect on the players individually, in turn improving the team collectively.

10. The all-round improvement of defenders Faouzi Ghoulam, Elseid Hysaj and Kalidou Koulibaly is testament to Sarri’s coaching ability on the training ground while Jorginho, a pivotal part of his Napoli side, is now regarded as one of the most complete midfielders in European football.
Further forward, both Lorenzo Insigne and Jose Callejon, who linked up well with Mertens, made great strides under the Italian’s guidance.

11. Last season Napoli were unfortunate not to secure the Serie A title, eventually finishing second, but there were no shortage of memorable performances, including two 4-1 wins against Lazio and a 1-0 victory away at Juventus.

12. Sarri likes his teams to play a dynamic style of football with the focus on quick passing, even in deep positions, and ball retention, encouraging the players to be forward-thinking in their approach.

13. He becomes the sixth Italian to take charge of the Blues, following on from Gianluca Vialli, Claudio Ranieri, Carlo Ancelotti, Roberto Di Matteo and Antonio Conte.

Possibly due to not having won any trophies but the statement and accompanying quotes seem really focused on the style of football Sarri plays/played which is confirming my suspicions that the appointment is about wanting a change in playing style more than anything.

Only time we’ve appointed anyone before like that was AVB.

I wonder what drove the club to appoint a manager based on playing style over a history of success because it’s very un-Chelsea.

Makes me wonder if rumours of descenting voices of some high profile players was true and this is a move to try and appease some of them and trying to get them to stay.

Anyway, welcome Sarri. I’ll have my fingers crossed for a more harmonious Chelsea, even if just for a couple of years.

7 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Possibly due to not having won any trophies but the statement and accompanying quotes seem really focused on the style of football Sarri plays/played which is confirming my suspicions that the appointment is about wanting a change in playing style more than anything.

Only time we’ve appointed anyone before like that was AVB.

I wonder what drove the club to appoint a manager based on playing style over a history of success because it’s very un-Chelsea.

Makes me wonder if rumours of descenting voices of some high profile players was true and this is a move to try and appease some of them and trying to get them to stay.

Anyway, welcome Sarri. I’ll have my fingers crossed for a more harmonious Chelsea, even if just for a couple of years.

AVB is not like Sarri. He was a young manager playing in Portugal, we signed him because he was the new mourinho. 

Sarri has never managed a club strong enough to win the league. Instead he has built a reputation of playing innovative and exciting football and that has made Napoli competitive. 

The aim will still be to win, but I imagine that being one of the poorer clubs in the top 6, our expectations have to be slightly realigned. 

My best wishes for Sarri's adventure at Chelsea, which is by far my favourite Premier team. As a Juventus fan, however, I can tell you that there are many risks for a maniacal coach who is not used to changing his mind about how he sees football. He makes little use of the bench and this has often led the team to get tired well before the end of the season. He will be loved to madness or hated like no other, there are half measures with him

Edited by red5goahead

3 minutes ago, benjsross said:

AVB is not like Sarri. He was a young manager playing in Portugal, we signed him because he was the new mourinho. 

Sarri has never managed a club strong enough to win the league. Instead he has built a reputation of playing innovative and exciting football and that has made Napoli competitive. 

The aim will still be to win, but I imagine that being one of the poorer clubs in the top 6, our expectations have to be slightly realigned. 

He’s like AVB in that he’s the fashionable, in coach at the moment.

Most coaches by the age of 59, if they hadn’t won anything would be viewed as having found their level, not looking to make another step up on the career ladder.

Objectively it’s a strange appointment for Chelsea.

I get saying he hasn’t won things because he’s not been at a big club but he still had cup competitions at Napoli that he didn’t win despite building such an asthetically pleasing, highly praised team.

I’m viewing this with cautious optimism and sincerely hope he gets us playing great football but I want to see us remaining competitive too.

If he plays that close, fast passing game in defence I guess it will be a change from watching the slow sideways passing with a resulting hoof ball and losing possession like seemed to happen a lot last season.

The fast passing and movement will really suit some of our skillful players too.

Welcome to the club, Mauricio.

I wish him well as the new manager of our club. I hope the club has made an informed decision in appointing him and their decision to appoint him is vindicated in the long-term.

Since the Mourinho sacking in 2015, I haven't been as emotionally invested in our managers so I think it's sensible to adopt the same approach again.

From what I can gather from others, this is regarded as the riskiest appointment we've seen since AVB and it appears to be a boom or bust appointment. There won't be any in-betweens with this manager.

Interesting that the club have given him a three year deal. Considering no manager other than Mourinho in his first stint has lasted beyond the three year mark in the Abramovich era, I would have thought the club would be more conservative and only offer him a two-year deal at this stage. However, it's possible Sarri insisted that he be given a three year deal.

I know some supporters are very excited about the prospect of changing our game style, but at this stage I remain cautiously optimistic and sceptical.

Edited by Jezz