Maurizio Sarri Officially Appointed

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Too much is made of any tactical changes against City. Hazard at false nine was the biggest change. We were without the ball because City had it. They are much better at breaking out from their own half than us. In the second half when City was little bit tired and a goal down we broke out many times under their pressure starting from Kepa. 

I think we played Sarriball with a touch of Conte suffering-mode. Suffering was due to necessity. 

Sarri himself pressed that it was about motivation and application. 

Maybe next season we really can go head to head with City. Couple or new faces and much more honed machine. 

I believe Hazard is very good with his back game, with great turn that makes him impossible to defend and he can make some noise as false 9 but he's got one flaw that stops him at the moment. He is lazy. the first half he almost didn't get his butt in our half when we needed him badly. that static style won't help him, especially with his height and incapability of winning in the air. He also didn't press at all. It was easy for City to pass behind the press coz practically he didn't participate. But once he starts to do these things, he will be very dangerous even in that role. 

Since all of you are doing silly little things like being positive and happy, I'm going to put my take.

I don't think we are out of the deep water just yet and I still think we have problems. We have just beat one of the best teams in the world and easily one of the greatest Premier League sides, but if we don't use that as a stepping stone for our next fixtures (which are great fixtures for us to turn all this misery around) then it'll mean absolutely nothing. Spurs and Arsenal have hit form, we need to do better.

I'm still not sold on Kante in that position, the first half by him was abysmal, he turned it around massively in the second half but does a good 45 minutes warrant strong consistent performances from now on? I'm not big on him in this new position at all which I've said quite a lot. Now Sarri will either make adjustments or he'll be stubborn and hope that the team will gel together in time, I don't know which is best I'm not a manager. But from what I see on the field is that our midfield isn't fairing well against a lot of Premier League teams lately, and that won't bode well in the long run, if that changes from now on I'll be very happy to say I'm wrong. Also, I think Willian needs dropping asap, start playing Hazard, Giroud and Pedro as out front three, I'm not impressed at all with Willian lately and I'm definitely not impressed with Morata who I think should stay far away from the team at the moment. 

7 hours ago, Slojo said:

Since all of you are doing silly little things like being positive and happy, I'm going to put my take.

I don't think we are out of the deep water just yet and I still think we have problems. We have just beat one of the best teams in the world and easily one of the greatest Premier League sides, but if we don't use that as a stepping stone for our next fixtures (which are great fixtures for us to turn all this misery around) then it'll mean absolutely nothing. Spurs and Arsenal have hit form, we need to do better.

I'm still not sold on Kante in that position, the first half by him was abysmal, he turned it around massively in the second half but does a good 45 minutes warrant strong consistent performances from now on? I'm not big on him in this new position at all which I've said quite a lot. Now Sarri will either make adjustments or he'll be stubborn and hope that the team will gel together in time, I don't know which is best I'm not a manager. But from what I see on the field is that our midfield isn't fairing well against a lot of Premier League teams lately, and that won't bode well in the long run, if that changes from now on I'll be very happy to say I'm wrong. Also, I think Willian needs dropping asap, start playing Hazard, Giroud and Pedro as out front three, I'm not impressed at all with Willian lately and I'm definitely not impressed with Morata who I think should stay far away from the team at the moment. 

I have done a silly thing all season and trust what Sarri says.

Kante gets way too much exposure here and in the media. He does so because Sarri changed the position and role of one of the most decorated players in the world. Kante was his position and his role.

But it is not important. What is important is we are in the middle of a period where we are implementing a modern system to our side. We are not there yet. Small tweaking and changing of personnel is needed to make things work better and to make us contenders. Most importantly we need time to do repetitions and to make this football natural. 

Sarri said we need to have the same motivation against smaller sides. I really don't think he lied. What has lowered our motivation is probably the fact we have hit a wall and players are questioning the system. Probably very natural. 

I'm glad we won City because it will lift the spirits. Hope it shows against Brighton. 

1 hour ago, evissy said:

I have done a silly thing all season and trust what Sarri says.

Kante gets way too much exposure here and in the media. He does so because Sarri changed the position and role of one of the most decorated players in the world. Kante was his position and his role.

But it is not important. What is important is we are in the middle of a period where we are implementing a modern system to our side. We are not there yet. Small tweaking and changing of personnel is needed to make things work better and to make us contenders. Most importantly we need time to do repetitions and to make this football natural. 

Sarri said we need to have the same motivation against smaller sides. I really don't think he lied. What has lowered our motivation is probably the fact we have hit a wall and players are questioning the system. Probably very natural. 

I'm glad we won City because it will lift the spirits. Hope it shows against Brighton. 

I hope you know the first sentence was sarcasm right?

I've never thought Kante is a great footballer, he is a good player don't get me wrong, but the first half against City we've seen a lot of these mistakes before. Especially in games where we have a lot of possession, in the Newcastle away game Kante was slowing the play down, allowing Newcastle to get back into position. I think there are revealing limitations to his game in this position and I don't fancy it, I really hope I'm wrong and I really hope he adapts to that position but I just can't see it, he was much better utilised under Conte. 

I think the next few weeks we'll see, we have a good set of fixtures and there's no reason why we shouldn't win all of your next 6 games. I'm hoping this City game will be a stepping stone, otherwise, it'll mean nothing, we have to start taking Spurs and Arsenal very seriously if we want to get into the top 4. 

On 12/12/2018 at 09:18, Slojo said:

I hope you know the first sentence was sarcasm right?

I've never thought Kante is a great footballer, he is a good player don't get me wrong, but the first half against City we've seen a lot of these mistakes before. Especially in games where we have a lot of possession, in the Newcastle away game Kante was slowing the play down, allowing Newcastle to get back into position. I think there are revealing limitations to his game in this position and I don't fancy it, I really hope I'm wrong and I really hope he adapts to that position but I just can't see it, he was much better utilised under Conte. 

I think the next few weeks we'll see, we have a good set of fixtures and there's no reason why we shouldn't win all of your next 6 games. I'm hoping this City game will be a stepping stone, otherwise, it'll mean nothing, we have to start taking Spurs and Arsenal very seriously if we want to get into the top 4. 

I noticed the sarcasm, thanks. 

Kante is not the best in the world in this new position, far from it. He is one of the best in deeper role as we all know. However he is atm good enough to make us go forward. We don't lose or not win games because of Kante but because our new system needs more time as does Kante. 

People naturally talk about Kante because Sarri has done something people might find stupid. There is no natural role for Kante in this system. Kante would probably be better in Azpilicueta's right back role than in an advanced role. 

What Sarri is doing is he is fitting Kante to this new role because he thinks he can improve. The other solution would be to bench him or change his system. Both of the latter options are worse. Kante in the end is just one player.

I think Kante needs to shoot more. That would be a good start. He should also try to make more decisive passes. In both he is very good he just doesn't do it often enough. 

Passing under pressure has been his downfall in some games. Having a better vision under heavy pressure is something Jorginho naturally possesses so Kante can't probably learn that. Or he is limited by it. 

However my point is we don't fall because of Kante. 

1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

The BBC commented a lot on Alonso's shirt pulling following Hughton's comments about claiming Alonso should have been sent off.

Now would be a good time to bring Emmerson through for a few premier league games to take Alonso out of the refs spotlight.

It's pretty ridiculous how much coverage that got. It would have been a very harsh red and there were only 2 minutes left of play anyway.

15 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Xmas fixture comparison between top five from BBC:

image.png.000b599c426f9054774a7315fa20b0d2.png

Always better to be at home on boxing day and 29/30th in my opinion, so Liverpool and Spurs lucky there. We've been very fortunate this year though as both our away games are in London, so our players won't have to travel throughout the whole Xmas period. London derbies are always tricky though.