Now on a migrated server, any problems CLICK HERE

cRyptic

Maurizio Sarri Officially Appointed

Reading on the match round up talk that Utd put Mata on Jorginho in the 2nd half when we lost possession enabling Pogba to charge through the middle. Mata is a clever player and suspect not many others will be as good at closing Jorginho down. This may be why we resorted to longer balls.

I expected Liverpool to test Jorginho, should have guessed it would be JM. 

Hope Sarri works on plan B when an opposition team can close out Jorginho.

In a 90 minutes game, there's always going to be a period of 10-15 where the opposition could close down Jorginho completely. If I'm trying to give Jose some tactical bonus, he took the gamble of not closing down until the second half the game, where were just got too comfortable. Of course, had Morata put that chances away, 2 goals down and he would be made silly for not trying to close us down earlier. Even had we lost, I don't want see Sarri going to some plan B, it's all part of the learning and developing, can't throw away the game plan just because a couple of poor results. I remember the last title winning season with Jose, we were playing well until that crazy game against Spurs, that game could be anything. After the lose, Jose immediately going back to the his shell and grinding out results, we won the title but the damage has been done to the team, and we all remembered what happened the season after.

1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

Reading on the match round up talk that Utd put Mata on Jorginho in the 2nd half when we lost possession enabling Pogba to charge through the middle. Mata is a clever player and suspect not many others will be as good at closing Jorginho down. This may be why we resorted to longer balls.

I expected Liverpool to test Jorginho, should have guessed it would be JM. 

Hope Sarri works on plan B when an opposition team can close out Jorginho.

That is why you need press resistant players in a Sarri midfield. I still think long term going forward, a bit controversial but you either replace Kante with a player more effective in the final third, or let Kovacic play the Jorginho role so you can still accommodate Kante and 3rd player effective in the final third. Either way we need a Coutinho/De Bruyne type player in midfield, to pair with 2 of Kante/Kovacic/Jorginho.

City have 2 of these players in Silva/De Bruyne, Liverpool haven’t looked very sharp this season with a midfield of Keita, Milner & Henderson.

I believe @icecoolguy22 is correct. Gary Neville said something similar as well, you can not just abandon your game plan, not even slightly. The message that sends to the players is basically that they aren’t good enough, and that will turn sour sooner rather than later (Mourinho and Conte). Let’s try and do this “change of style”-process properly, not dilly dally around from match to match depending on our opponent.

There will be ups and downs, but for what it is worth, several of my Manchester United relatives described their first 60 minutes against us as a disgrace. There was no tactical nous, they were played off the park, and needed a brain fart from Alonso to get back in it. 

I am really just happy that we finally play like the big club we’ve become over the years. Hope it’ll last at least two seasons, as I can see progress every week.

8 hours ago, Kev56 said:

I’d rather keep to Sarri’s game plan, than to revert to old tactics to accommodate a failed centre forward, would rather remove the problem in the first place.

It's not even just about accommodating a failed CF as you put it. It's a good plan B. Not hoofing the ball upfield.

Just sometimes when we are at the wings rather than the short intricate passes or driving a cross inside the box to break through the opposition, we could put it in the air.

Look at the games we've drawn were we kept trying to unlock the defence by passing through them but met stiff resistance........Just saying mixing it up every now and then against a defence that refuses to be breached that way seems a sensible approach.

No way we rescued one point from that game if we had kept to Sarri's plan. And it's not about undermining the manager. Some times when all isn't going to plan it's the big characters in the team that come up with the unusual by taking initiative and modifying the plan to get the edge.

Press encouragement this morning asking us to sack the coach who got in Jose's face.

The club likely knew hiring Sarri could lead to controversy, we kinda got to ride it out. If we upset the apple cart down the table we shall go imo.

16 minutes ago, abister1 said:

It's not even just about accommodating a failed CF as you put it. It's a good plan B. Not hoofing the ball upfield.

Just sometimes when we are at the wings rather than the short intricate passes or driving a cross inside the box to break through the opposition, we could put it in the air.

Look at the games we've drawn were we kept trying to unlock the defence by passing through them but met stiff resistance........Just saying mixing it up every now and then against a defence that refuses to be breached that way seems a sensible approach.

No way we rescued one point from that game if we had kept to Sarri's plan. And it's not about undermining the manager. Some times when all isn't going to plan it's the big characters in the team that come up with the unusual by taking initiative and modifying the plan to get the edge.

He needs the team playing to his tactics and then im sure he'll add more variation to the plays. Until they can handle the basics though, its probably not wise letting them just revert to some random plan of their own when they want.

19 minutes ago, abister1 said:

If we kept to Sarri's plan United wouldn't have got back in the game in the first place.

2 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Press encouragement this morning asking us to sack the coach who got in Jose's face.

The club likely knew hiring Sarri could lead to controversy, we kinda got to ride it out. If we upset the apple cart down the table we shall go imo.

Big mouth Phil Neville talking sh*te about Chelsea as usual. It's not the first time he has asked for somebody at the club to get the sack. If he seriously thinks somebody deserves to lose their job for that, then what about Mourinho? he's done the same over the years and worse. 

Once again, English football and the media are going over the top about what really is a nothing incident. It was a bit of gloating, I don't care, I actually found it quite funny. It certainly made things more entertaining :biggrin:

Edited by Scott Harris

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

Big mouth Phil Neville talking sh*te about Chelsea as usual. It's not the first time he has asked for somebody at the club to get the sack. If he seriously thinks somebody deserves to lose their job for that, then what about Mourinho? he's done the same over the years and worse. 

Once again, English football and the media are going over the top about what really is a nothing incident. It was a bit of gloating, I don't care, I actually found it quite funny. It certainly made things more entertaining :biggrin:

f**k yeah........he celebrated an equalizing goal, Jose was already livid we scored at the end, ianni just brought more of it out, right or wrong doesnt matter cuz he Jose acted more foolishly. On top of that Jose is no damn Saint, he has mastered this technique long ago. And f**k the media.......f**k the nevills. Isnt it rather funny how the rats come out to play when its Chelsea they can pounce on for no god damn reason? I mean how f**king low can you get? If this sh*t was in reverse, they would have kept their tongue in their mouths where it belongs......f**king cocksuckers. Sorry for the language but I have zero tolerence when it comes to the Eng media.....and they even get paid for this sh*t, isnt it crazy.

Edited by atomis

The ugly Neville sister is a class A C**t, imagine if we do somehow sacked the guy, he'd write an article about Chelsea has no loyalty to her employees. It's a crime he's getting paid for his nonsense opinion. Here is the question so, did our guy say something nasty to Jose, or he just went berserk for the goal in front of Jose? If he did say something nasty ( which I haven't heard of), it's a bit of over reaction by Jose to charge all the way to the tunnel to confront our guy. Our guy was in the wrong, Jose over reacted, both sides made up, the press should get over it. On the tactic side, I reckon Sarri was upset because we lost our composure after conceding 2 goals, rather than going route A in the last 5 minutes. The manager could only do so much, when the game is on the line, it's up to the players to pick the best option on the field, and on this occasion we did.  I remember that 0:1 game against City last year, Conte throw on Morata/Giroud in the last 10  to save the game, and the players didn't even try to put in  high balls to give it a crack, probably they already sick of trying.

18 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

It's even funnier when you've got the likes of Alan Pardew commenting on it calling it ridiculous behaviour, the same bloke who tried to headbutt a player on the opposition. 

I don't like the behaviour from that specific staff member but it looks like it's been dealt with afterwards and Mourinho said it's fine, he even said he's done stupid things in the past that he's not proud of. I'm fine with that, leave it there. 

He needs the team playing to his tactics and then im sure he'll add more variation to the plays. Until they can handle the basics though, its probably not wise letting them just revert to some random plan of their own when they want.
Exactly

On 22/10/2018 at 14:42, Argo said:

If we kept to Sarri's plan United wouldn't have got back in the game in the first place.

As I saw things at the time it was the tactical switch Mourinho made and higher press and marking on Jorginho that forced us to play differently. Not the players willingly resorting to that.

3 hours ago, abister1 said:

As I saw things at the time it was the tactical switch Mourinho made and higher press and marking on Jorginho that forced us to play differently. Not the players willingly resorting to that.

If the single, crucial “pivot” can be marked out of the game by a not-great opponent, what might it say about the strategy, in general, and Jorginho, in particular? (This is not a rhetorical question.)

6 hours ago, KnowItAll said:

If the single, crucial “pivot” can be marked out of the game by a not-great opponent, what might it say about the strategy, in general, and Jorginho, in particular? (This is not a rhetorical question.)

Liverpool tried to do the same thing on Jorginho, that's why kovacic and david luiz are important in the big games, because kovacic can drop back and pick the ball up off the centre backs, and Luiz can also dictate play and step into midfield. I think it worked pretty well for long periods against United.

Mata did well on Jorginho for about 20 mins, but after we scored he started running the game again.

I don't think it was any sort of tactical master class from mourinho. We didn't do enough to stop Lukaku turning on the half way line, we pressed him with 3 players, so when he was able to play the ball inside to pogba we were in a little bit of trouble, which is what resulted in the equalizer, albeit with a slice of luck, and a helping hand from alonso. 

2nd goal came from a half hearted press from alonso, and a vital misjudgement from Luiz. 

Other than these 2 phases of play, United didn't look dangerous, and they struggling to cope with our press. 

On the day we just lacked cutting edge in the final 3rd. 

The term masterclass, particularly in relation with Mourinho, is constantly being used far too loosely. A masterclass is not parking your billions worth of bus to scrape a result, going for spells of 5-10 minutes without stringing more than two passes together.

Sorry, I’m not having that. A true, true Mourinho masterclass was when we played Barcelona off the park in the Champions League in 2005. Or some of the performances he had with Inter. I believe that Mourinho has been left behind due to the evolution of the modern game.

45 minutes ago, robdog said:

I seriously thought Burley away would give Don Maurizio some problems, especially starting Morata & not playing Hazard - he showed me I don't know what I am talking about & all I have to reply back is this

giphy.gif

Yeah he has done a superb job so far.......not 1 Chels would have imagined we would change and adapt as well as we have done.........but Sarri needs help, if we want this train to reach its goals we need to back him up.

3 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Chelsea's first manager to go unbeaten in first 10 Premier League games, let's hope he breaks more Chelsea records ( the good ones of course )

really? :O

27 minutes ago, Zola said:

really? :O

He's the first Chelsea manager to go unbeaten in their first 10 Premier League games in their Chelsea career. So it's a qualified stat. 

Sarri's football is about having fun and  playing with passion, while Jose is about hard work, do whatever it takes to win, and playing football is not supposed to be fun. If I were a footballer, I know which manager I would love to play under.