cRyptic

Maurizio Sarri Officially Appointed

A ball playing striker like Firmino would be ideal in this team imo, who can join in the build up and create chances rather than just score them. Bring Hazard and right winger into the box etc, it would transform our attack massively.

When you have Morata or Giroud up top they much prefer to be on the receiving end of chances, it doesn’t work that well in our team, especially when we have wingers who want to score more than provide.

Again i'm at a loss to know what we are trying to achieve, lots of possession, and a reluctance to cross into the box, saw Morata, pick the ball up wide, in the Hazard position, cross and no one in the box?
I don't know why you're at a loss... Sarri's clearly trying to achieve a specific style of play. Do we have a squad fully understanding it? No. Do we have a squad fully suited to the style? No. So the board and Sarri need time. Harping-on after every negative result is pointless. I'm enjoying the ride and it's nice to see a progressive style even if it is wholly inconsistent right now.

Pep had a mediocre first season and that is WITH the likes of Aguero, Silva, KDB and Toure available. And yet people expect to see something similar with Morata, Kante, Barkley and Willian.

Definitely needs more time and players adapting to his style of playing. It's hard enough win games in this league, let alone winning it with a possession based style. Since we have gone this route of hiring him, board and fans just have to stick with him and keep faith with his decisions. For my liking, he made too many changes way too early in his Chelsea career, but what credentials do I have to critise him? I just hope he's more flexible in his approach, because after 30 minutes of round the pitch passing, most fans have gone to sleep and players on the field are edgy. There are no shame in putting on a big striker in the last 10 an go route 1, just saying.

He's got to get more goal threat out of his preferred midfield ... Jorginho (1), Kovacic (0) and Kante (3) have 4 goals between them all season from 64 starts plus 7 sub appearances. That's only one more goal than Bakayoko had on his own at the same point last year ...

23 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

He's got to get more goal threat out of his preferred midfield ... Jorginho (1), Kovacic (0) and Kante (3) have 4 goals between them all season from 64 starts plus 7 sub appearances. That's only one more goal than Bakayoko had on his own at the same point last year ...

Jorginhos was a pen too.

Played ross past 2 games who looked nowhere near a goal threat.

We have Kante and hazard. If they dont perform we dont win.

5 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Jorginhos was a pen too.

Played ross past 2 games who looked nowhere near a goal threat.

We have Kante and hazard. If they dont perform we dont win.

Barkley is getting worse every time I see him play now ... not sure why ?

15 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Think Barkleys nickname should be something along the lines of "1 Good Game in 5".

13 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

To me it looks like he doesn’t know what he’s supposed to be doing.

Last night he was coming short and Luiz was physically waving him away.

He doesn’t know what he’s supposed to do so he just keeps it simple to avoid making mistakes.

A player like Barkley, you don’t want him receiving the ball 40-60 yards from goal with his back to it. He’s not going to influence anything from there. 

One of the few times he got forward and received the ball in a decent position he plays an instinctive pass to Morata which led to a shot on goal and only for a great block by Southampton was a possible goal or at least good shot on target avoided. 

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

To me it looks like he doesn’t know what he’s supposed to be doing.

He doesn’t know what he’s supposed to do so he just keeps it simple to avoid making mistakes

I'd agree with that, and your other observations that I didn't quote directly.

Maybe he doesn't have the intelligence to interpret Sarri's instructions correctly ?  or perhaps the confidence, with the competiton for places from Kovacic and RLC ? Don't think it's ability, as there is definitely a player in there somewhere ... or could be Sarri's instructions are the problem LOL, but I don't think so.

For me, one of RLC and Barkley has to play, simply to increase the goal threat from midfield. If Sarri is going to stick to 4-3-3, then he has to play two out of Jorginho, Kante and Kovacic, and not all three.

1 minute ago, Sexyfootball said:

I'd agree with that, and your other observations that I didn't quote directly.

Maybe he doesn't have the intelligence to interpret Sarri's instructions correctly ?  or perhaps the confidence, with the competiton for places from Kovacic and RLC ? Don't think it's ability, as there is definitely a player in there somewhere ... or could be Sarri's instructions are the problem LOL, but I don't think so.

For me, one of RLC and Barkley has to play, simply to increase the goal threat from midfield. If Sarri is going to stick to 4-3-3, then he has to play two out of Jorginho, Kante and Kovacic, and not all three.

Against any team outside of the top 6, I'd completely agree with you, we need the goal threat and creativity to break down packed defences. against the top 6 I'd have Kante Jorginho and Kovacic, since they are very good at retaining possession and resisting the high press

17 hours ago, enigma said:

So what do you suggest? We sack him and bring in whom? Change our style again, achieve nothing again and go back to square one? The simple fact is, the league is tougher than ever and there's no gimme 3 point games now. He's been at the club for 4 months, the only player that is truly his type of player is Jorginho. At the moment he's trying to change the system, formation, positions and player mentalities. We have had 4 seasons of an entirely different style, it's going to take longer than 4 months to change the team's mindsets. We are going through a rough patch at the moment, but it won't last. I just hope the board back him with some players suited to the system or at least players who are to his vision. 

Change our style, change it to what, if you think passing the ball around like that is Sarri evolving, then so be it, i can't see Hazard changing his individual style to play Sarri way, we may have to change the whole 1st team to see that brand of football , we create nothing really, so i feel justified to seem a bit bemused, but i aint the only one, plenty of Chelsea fans are scratching their heads, when is the last time we went back to back 0-0s at home, Do we think Sarri trains the team to pass pass pass,and occasionally right back to the keeper, this quick style doesn't suit Hazard or Willian, because they like to stand their men and use skill from a standstill, and rarely if ever not to cross to a Target man.

5 hours ago, Ballack & Blu said:

Change our style, change it to what, if you think passing the ball around like that is Sarri evolving, then so be it, i can't see Hazard changing his individual style to play Sarri way, we may have to change the whole 1st team to see that brand of football , we create nothing really, so i feel justified to seem a bit bemused, but i aint the only one, plenty of Chelsea fans are scratching their heads, when is the last time we went back to back 0-0s at home, Do we think Sarri trains the team to pass pass pass,and occasionally right back to the keeper, this quick style doesn't suit Hazard or Willian, because they like to stand their men and use skill from a standstill, and rarely if ever not to cross to a Target man.

?? Quick style. If only!

Doesn't appear to know how to swing a game in our favour once we go behind or we're struggling to score a goal. 

Honest question because I cannot remember, have we won any games this season having come back from a losing position? 

Last night was frustrating with the substitutes for me. So many of Sarri's subs are like for like. I'm not sure what the Willian/Pedro sub was supposed to achieve?

We needed a goal and so Barkley (a goal scoring midfielder) was subbed off for Kovacic who hasn't scored once this season... I struggle to follow the logic. 

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Doesn't appear to know how to swing a game in our favour once we go behind or we're struggling to score a goal. 

Honest question because I cannot remember, have we won any games this season having come back from a losing position? 

Last night was frustrating with the substitutes for me. So many of Sarri's subs are like for like. I'm not sure what the Willian/Pedro sub was supposed to achieve?

We needed a goal and so Barkley (a goal scoring midfielder) was subbed off for Kovacic who hasn't scored once this season... I struggle to follow the logic. 

Cardiff at home we came back and won.

Also United at home we came draw. 

Arsenal at home, we came back from a similar mental set back after losing a 2 goal lead.

Barkley was poor last night, should've been off earlier. It's also a bit of stretch to call him a goal scoring midfielder at the moment. He more likely to injure a steward.

16 minutes ago, big blue said:

Cardiff at home we came back and won.

Also United at home we came draw. 

Arsenal at home, we came back from a similar mental set back after losing a 2 goal lead.

Barkley was poor last night, should've been off earlier. It's also a bit of stretch to call him a goal scoring midfielder at the moment. He more likely to injure a steward.

So once this season we've come from behind to win? Your other two examples are of us letting leads slip so is more of an argument about a lack of resilience in the team. 

Barkley is our joint 4th highest goal scorer this season. For a team with no recognized centre forward on the pitch subbing off one of your bigger goal-scoring threats for a player with no goals and 2 assists to his name in all competitions and returning from injury when chasing a game was just a bizarre sub to me. 

The board really need to back him big in the next 2 windows because currently he isn't getting the team playing well enough or winning enough games.

No point bringing him in for his style of play when we have players in the squad who clearly don't fit it.

26 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

So once this season we've come from behind to win? Your other two examples are of us letting leads slip so is more of an argument about a lack of resilience in the team. 

Barkley is our joint 4th highest goal scorer this season. For a team with no recognized centre forward on the pitch subbing off one of your bigger goal-scoring threats for a player with no goals and 2 assists to his name in all competitions and returning from injury when chasing a game was just a bizarre sub to me. 

I wasn't arguing the point just answering your question of when we've come back. 

Barkley hasn't scored since since October, and he wasn't playing well, he played the full 90 at wekend. Kovacic is coming back injury and is being eased back in. RLC is out until the end of the month, and fabregas is on the cusp of leaving. The tie isn't even over, 1 nil isn't the worse result given there is no longer away goals, so a goal in the last 10 minutes for us was not critical. 

That is a lot of factors to justify the substitution, I'm not sure how you think it is bizarre, it seems very understanble. 

I think giroud could've come on for Willian earlier and CHO could've stayed on but again, when you consider CHO played a full 90 at the weekend, and it's his 1st game in that intensity, it was an understandable substitution.

I just think there is a lot of moaning at the moment, a month ago it was sarri hasn't got a plan b, now he's tried hazard as 9, fans don't like his plan b, so they want plan a again. 

Fans are calling for the club and managers to show patience with the young players and not be short sighted, but the same fans aren't giving the manager the sane patience, or long term thinking. It's very much win now, with 3 or 4 academy players in the side, or there will be something to moan about. 

It isn't all rosy in the garden, Sarri's not perfect, we could be losing our best young player, and our best senior player, and a 4 window transfer ban could be imminent. But at the same time we have good team, still competing for cups, we've got some great young players, a manager that is trying to build something a bit different to previous managers, and we have an owner that spends big money. 

3 minutes ago, big blue said:

Barkley hasn't scored since since October, and he wasn't playing well, he played the full 90 at wekend. Kovacic is coming back injury and is being eased back in. RLC is out until the end of the month, and fabregas is on the cusp of leaving. The tie isn't even over, 1 nil isn't the worse result given there is no longer away goals, so a goal in the last 10 minutes for us was not critical. 

A goal wasn't crucial as such but you don't want to be going into the 2nd leg losing. 

We were chasing the game, looking for an equaliser and turned to a player who doesn't score goals before one who does (Giroud).

6 minutes ago, big blue said:

I just think there is a lot of moaning at the moment, a month ago it was sarri hasn't got a plan b, now he's tried hazard as 9, fans don't like his plan b, so they want plan a again. 

To be honest I don't think Hazard playing through the middle is any different to Sarri's plan A. It's just that Hazard has a tendency to drift more than Morata or Giroud. Our shape and approach play is exactly the same. 

8 minutes ago, big blue said:

Fans are calling for the club and managers to show patience with the young players and not be short sighted, but the same fans aren't giving the manager the sane patience, or long term thinking. It's very much win now, with 3 or 4 academy players in the side, or there will be something to moan about. 

I was skeptical about Sarri's appoint, even when rumoured as a replacement for Conte. I don't watch football outside of Chelsea so how Napoli played is basically like a myth to me. "Sarriball" is just this ideology to me right now so I can only judge him and the team on what I've seen so far this season. 

I've got my gripes with certain things and the flip-side the showing patience is that any semblance of criticism of Sarri or the team is often being met with derision by other posters. Comments of not understanding, not seeing, being impatient.... As a fan I want to see us win. When I see us floundering and losing games I'm going to vent my frustrations with our performances and Sarri.  

14 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

A goal wasn't crucial as such but you don't want to be going into the 2nd leg losing. 

We were chasing the game, looking for an equaliser and turned to a player who doesn't score goals before one who does (Giroud).

To be honest I don't think Hazard playing through the middle is any different to Sarri's plan A. It's just that Hazard has a tendency to drift more than Morata or Giroud. Our shape and approach play is exactly the same. 

I was skeptical about Sarri's appoint, even when rumoured as a replacement for Conte. I don't watch football outside of Chelsea so how Napoli played is basically like a myth to me. "Sarriball" is just this ideology to me right now so I can only judge him and the team on what I've seen so far this season. 

I've got my gripes with certain things and the flip-side the showing patience is that any semblance of criticism of Sarri or the team is often being met with derision by other posters. Comments of not understanding, not seeing, being impatient.... As a fan I want to see us win. When I see us floundering and losing games I'm going to vent my frustrations with our performances and Sarri.  

Not sure how you quote paragraphs. So bear with me!

We don't know how much giroud had in him since he's only from Monday. So whilst I agree it would've been my 1st sub, there are a few factors that make him only getting 10 minutes understandable. 

I think hazard is as close to plan b as we will see with this set of players under sarri. In all honesty, up until the final 3rd plan a has been working okay so far, but we lack quality in the final 3rd and we are far to over reliant on hazard. This isn't a sarri problem, this is down to personnel. Hudson Odoi playing could help take the burden off hazard, but there is still a problem with the striker position and the quality of the overall squad. I don't think any other manager would be getting much better results than us with this current group. 

I'm the same, I want to see us win, and I get pissed off when we lose, but we aren't the sane club we were 10 years ago, when we were the heaviest spenders, with biggest squads. We are 4th at best 6th at worse team at the moment.

I thought that sarri coming in, was the club actually looking long term, to build a philosophy, and even if sarri didn't win a trophy, he could lay down foundations that we could build on. It's a massive work in progress, so that's why I'm cutting sarri some slack until he has a team that should be challenging for the title, or the current group slip away from what I think they should be achieving. 

Posted (edited)
The system clearly needs somebody who's willing to run and break the lines, but our best player in Hazard cannot do that since he's  been playing in the false #9. Not that I think he's not good enough for that role but it compromised the play elsewhere. 
Sarri persisting with Barkley all season though. Jorginho needs to be a fair bit more ruthless overall; he's alright at directing (and organising) the player but unlike Fabregas he's not able to provide those important ball-throughs. Really it shouldn't be coming from him and should come from the 3rd midfielder, but Barkley being continually played for a weird reason constitutes to this issue. 
Edited by MANoWAR

1 hour ago, big blue said:

I wasn't arguing the point just answering your question of when we've come back. 

That is a lot of factors to justify the substitution, I'm not sure how you think it is bizarre, it seems very understanble. 

I think giroud could've come on for Willian earlier and CHO could've stayed on but again, when you consider CHO played a full 90 at the weekend, and it's his 1st game in that intensity, it was an understandable substitution.

It isn't all rosy in the garden, Sarri's not perfect, we could be losing our best young player, and our best senior player, and a 4 window transfer ban could be imminent. But at the same time we have good team, still competing for cups, we've got some great young players, a manager that is trying to build something a bit different to previous managers, and we have an owner that spends big money. 

Eden playing false 9 is in no shape or form a plan b, its a necessaty cuz the board saw fit to go and get that top 4 with no strikers to speak of. Plan b is different formation, a surprise tactic, take a punt etc. We have seen nothing close to a plan b and lots of like for like subs. Will only make his job harder this.

42 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

In my modest opinion, you have to forget the name of the club and the wins of the Abramovich era and  have to measure you with the reality. At the moment City,Liverpool, Tottenham and also United are superior in the roster (Maybe also Arsenal in the strickers department). The 4th place would be a great great result. The target of this year is first to build the Chelsea that will be in next 5-10 years, to improve the tactical knowledges of the useful players and to get out those useless.