cRyptic

Maurizio Sarri Officially Appointed

30 minutes ago, abramovich said:

Just because you disagree with someone, doesn't make their opinion pathetic.

Jorginho is a big reason for our troubles at the back. He plays in a position where he's supposed to protect the back four. 

It's not your opinion, you accused me of "expecting" a complete new team for Sarri straight away, now has that ever happened in football history, where a manager comes in and has a complete new team to start with ? no it has not, so yes it is a pathetic accusation, not your opinion, an accusation.

The fact you expect Jorginho to protect the back four only goes on to confirm i was right, you don't know what the hell your talking about.

12 minutes ago, coco said:

It's not your opinion, you accused me of "expecting" a complete new team for Sarri straight away, now has that ever happened in football history, where a manager comes in and has a complete new team to start with ? no it has not, so yes it is a pathetic accusation, not your opinion, an accusation.

The fact you expect Jorginho to protect the back four only goes on to confirm i was right, you don't know what the hell your talking about.

Nobody accused you of anything, it's an internet forum, not a court of law, so no need to get so touchy about every innocent remark. Yes, I expect Jorginho to protect the back four, you don't think so, fine. 

And you're right, I don't know what I'm talking about, because clearly you're the expert on everything around here.

Got a feeling that Roman/The Board are going to give Sarri until the end of the season at least. Maybe even give him next season as well. If they are, then they have to fully back him in the transfer window (transfer ban permitting). Or we'll start to sink faster than Roseanne Barrs second coming!

9 minutes ago, Old Shaggy said:

Got a feeling that Roman/The Board are going to give Sarri until the end of the season at least. Maybe even give him next season as well. If they are, then they have to fully back him in the transfer window (transfer ban permitting). Or we'll start to sink faster than Roseanne Barrs second coming!

Given we sign the likes of Zappacosta, Baka, drinkwater etc am not sure a transfer ban on whoever makes those signings is a bad thing.

10 minutes ago, abramovich said:

Yes, I expect Jorginho to protect the back four, you don't think so, fine. 

To say our defensive midfielder shouldn't protect our back four is one of the craziest opinions i have seen in a while actually.

Maybe you can get away with this kind of stuff in Italy but in this league your holding/defensive midfielder better be good at actual defending.

9 hours ago, venom2011 said:

This. Whatever you think of Sarri, Sarriball, his naivety etc - he would have had time if the team had goals. Even that injury-hampered United team on Monday had 4 proven goalscorers and 2 proven creators. Our best XI has 2 goalscorers (1 of which is brand new to the league) and 1 creator.  It's not going to matter whether you move Kante deeper, revert to an old system, or submit your soul to satan himself. The only difference will be giving up control of the game and being slightly more defensively solid.

Do I think Sarri is the perfect man for the job? No. But as long as we are not languishing near the relegation zone a la Jose mk.2, I think any manager should at the very least be given a full season. And as I've said before - If the club's philosophy matches the manager's (as we've been told), then we should be getting players to fit his system regardless. People also seem to forget that Sarri has been in this situation before, with the fans on his back as well. ADL backed him regardless and it eventually bore fruit.

Ya but that only lasted a few months, no?  We're now into the final third of the season and the performances are actually far  worse than they were at the start.

----------

As for Costa being world class, he had one great season with us (and one with Athletico before joining us) and then an average (disappointing I'll say, if not poor) and then a good season before leaving.......the rest of his career has been unexceptional.... I will go so far as to say we wouldn't have won those two titles without him, but he does not belong in the world class category....... and he wanted to leave the club before the ink had dried on his first Chelsea contract.....

Our club has not been good recently with backing good/successful managers.  Instead they backed players who are among the most volatile I've seen when it comes to the standard of their performances and levels of effort...... and that's a big part of why we are where we are right now.  A manager we can't trust with certainty that things will come good, and a squad we can't trust what kind of performances we'll see the next season....and one that needs a massive overhaul regardless of what you think about the quality in the squad.

13 minutes ago, Sindre said:

To say our defensive midfielder shouldn't protect our back four is one of the craziest opinions i have seen in a while actually.

You need to get out more.

Jorginho is not by any stretch of the imagination a defensive player. The only protection he offers is when he has the ball at his feet, apart from that he's just a body in the way when we haven't got the ball, so plan A is keep the ball and you don't need a defensive midfielder. If Sarri wanted a strong defensive player in that position, he has Kante. 

29 minutes ago, coco said:

Jorginho is not by any stretch of the imagination a defensive player. The only protection he offers is when he has the ball at his feet, apart from that he's just a body in the way when we haven't got the ball, so plan A is keep the ball and you don't need a defensive midfielder. If Sarri wanted a strong defensive player in that position, he has Kante. 

Then Sarri has no idea how football in England works, and to be honest, nor do you.

1 hour ago, abramovich said:

Nobody accused you of anything, it's an internet forum, not a court of law, so no need to get so touchy about every innocent remark. Yes, I expect Jorginho to protect the back four, you don't think so, fine. 

And you're right, I don't know what I'm talking about, because clearly you're the expert on everything around here.

You go topic to topic attacking posters because you think your opinion is better then theirs. You and your little crew of few. Dont moan about this being an internet forum and not being a court of law when you act like a wanna be sheriff to begin with. 

3 hours ago, coco said:

Then what the hell does he do Coco? And if you he say he "processes the ball" I will cross you off my Xmas card list.

He doesn't attack, he doesn't defend, he doesn't run with the ball, he doesn't tackle, he doesn't head the ball, he doesn't score goals, he doesn't stop goals....

He points alot, I'll give you that.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with Jorginho, he'd be doing perfectly well at City.

He is purpose built for this football, but when it isn't working, he looks ordinary just like the system. 

Here's a piece of truth no one wants to acknowledge. Napoli had a very good team. Better than ours you could argue. They were also built for that football. They pressed and clicked as a team. We do neither of those things.

6 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with Jorginho, he'd be doing perfectly well at City.

He is purpose built for this football, but when it isn't working, he looks ordinary just like the system. 

Here's a piece of truth no one wants to acknowledge. Napoli had a very good team. Better than ours you could argue. They were also built for that football. They pressed and clicked as a team. We do neither of those things.

Spiller I'd like you to forget the word "passing" and tell me two other things you believe Jorginho does well. Just two.

If Pep picked him for the Citeh starting XI instead of Fernandinho, who does have assets other than "passing" , then they would be a considerably weaker team.I would love to see Jorginho in their midfield rather than ours on Sunday.

10 hours ago, abramovich said:

Was the 2016-17 Chelsea Conte's team? From what I could tell, he didn't get any of the players he'd asked for back then.

Didn't stop him from winning the title.

No, but that team did already win a title and they were keen on playing counter-attacking football, Sarri is much different to Conte in terms of style of play, it's going to be harder for him to get to grips of things given how defensive oriented our team are. 

4 hours ago, abramovich said:

Ignore him mate, pure drama queen. 

...Instead, the head coach returned to the familiar theme of his players’ mental fragility. “The system is a false problem,” Sarri said. “I know very well that, when we are losing, I have to put a striker on the pitch. When we are winning, I have to put a defender on the pitch. But I want to see the football in another way."

Ah i see now. So Sarri operates on a higher plane that none of us mere mortals can understand. Makes perfect sense now. 

2 hours ago, just said:

Spiller I'd like you to forget the word "passing" and tell me two other things you believe Jorginho does well. Just two.

If Pep picked him for the Citeh starting XI instead of Fernandinho, who does have assets other than "passing" , then they would be a considerably weaker team.I would love to see Jorginho in their midfield rather than ours on Sunday.

he's world class in speed of touch, short passes, movement off the ball, and directing/coaching on the field.

he needs a better long ball, and he could defend bettter for his role.  Our midfield has very good peices but don't really match our forwards.  Kovacic, Jorginho, and Kante all have a lot of class... but are all missing the big game, long shots, long passes and winning headers.  Sometimes it's not that one guy hurts us, it's we're missing some pieces that we must have.

1 hour ago, dustbin719 said:

...Instead, the head coach returned to the familiar theme of his players’ mental fragility. “The system is a false problem,” Sarri said. “I know very well that, when we are losing, I have to put a striker on the pitch. When we are winning, I have to put a defender on the pitch. But I want to see the football in another way."

Ah i see now. So Sarri operates on a higher plane that none of us mere mortals can understand. Makes perfect sense now. 

It's interesting to me that before he implemented the 4-3-3 in Napoli he was having problems and needed to adapt and then only after he changed he started getting better results with his team.
Somehow now he doesn't want to go through the same process, he looks to be stuck in 1 system 1 horse view and that's it, almost like because that 1 system did wonders for him in the past he can't ever see beyond that system ever again.

I wish there was more of this explanation, how he sees football in that "another way"...

Because at this point he sounds like one of 2 things: Either he's a misunderstood genius that can create a new way to play the game, or he's something like a fraud selling snake oil.

8 hours ago, Semper Fi said:

You go topic to topic attacking posters because you think your opinion is better then theirs. You and your little crew of few. Dont moan about this being an internet forum and not being a court of law when you act like a wanna be sheriff to begin with. 

Where and when did I say my opinion was better than anybody's? Give me some examples and I'll apologize if that's the case. And I never attack posters, I at least I don't initiate personal attacks, I only respond to those who get personal with me. I may criticize or disagree with someone's opinion, but that's what the forum is for, to discuss and debate different views on the club and things related to it. If someone chooses to be feel insulted by someone else having a different view than theirs, that's out of my control and it's their problem, not mine.

6 hours ago, just said:

Hard to leave aside passing give it is central to his role. I could have made the same argument about Cesc.

As I said he is a system player. The system isn't working so neither is he.

8 hours ago, just said:

Then what the hell does he do Coco? And if you he say he "processes the ball" I will cross you off my Xmas card list.

He doesn't attack, he doesn't defend, he doesn't run with the ball, he doesn't tackle, he doesn't head the ball, he doesn't score goals, he doesn't stop goals....

He does what Sarri says, if you think thats not enough fair enough, neither do i, but he is carrying out the gaffers orders.

8 hours ago, just said:

His five yard wall passes are second to none! He is probably the only person in the entire squad capable of such consistent five yard sideways passes. Buffoons like us clearly don't fully appreciate the technical merits of this role.

Like seriously, I wish Pep tries all his possible best to get Jorginho from us this summer. I really want to see how he will get in that team over Fernandinho.