Maurizio Sarri Officially Appointed

6 hours ago, Total-Football said:

The translator wasn't very good. Interesting that he hasn't planned anything before joining. I reckon we need to give him time as it is a world cup year and most players are returning late. Also interesting that he identified centre back as the position where we lack on the ball ability, rather then CM. Maybe Barkley/RLC have caught his eye?

He did say midfielders (centrocampisti) but the translator translated it with centre backs.

2 hours ago, Adamrb said:

They were desperate for him to criticise Mourinho and Conte’s style of play. There were some very leading questions

Shameless bastards. They've been doing this rubbish for years now. It's one of the reasons Fergie banned a few of them from Carrington. All they're concerned about is the next sensational headline.

I think Sarri was briefed and he knew what was coming shameless bastard's they will keep trying all season to start a rift

They were desperate for him to criticise Mourinho and Conte’s style of play. There were some very leading questions

12 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

Conte claimed to have no idea who comes or goes and was slated nastily in here for saying it, with hardly anyone believing it to be true.   Will  it be different for Sarri because he "Seems a really nice bloke." and "he was positive and seemed smart."?

Not getting at you @evissy, just something that sprang to mind from your post.

Could be Conte was given sh*t because he also complained/took digs at the players he had. If it's not your job or problem to deal with why constantly harp on it? 

I imagine if Sarri says he dislikes the transfer market and then starts moaning about the lack of talent he has he'll get slated too. 

2 hours ago, old git said:

I can see him doing that. I don't think he's someone that suffers fools gladly.

Agreed. I genuinely think part of the appeal of Zola is his appeal rating with the press. It would not surprise me, once the novelty has worn off, if Zola ends up being the one doing the aftermatch press interviews just in case Sarri tells someone to go f**k themselves, which would be hilarious of course :laugh2::laugh2:

5 hours ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

Could be Conte was given sh*t because he also complained/took digs at the players he had. If it's not your job or problem to deal with why constantly harp on it? 

I imagine if Sarri says he dislikes the transfer market and then starts moaning about the lack of talent he has he'll get slated too. 

To be fair, a lot of the complaints about Conte were because he said that the transfers or lack of them wasn't anything to do with him, and people just called that bollocks.  So what is the difference with Sarri saying the same thing?

54 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

To be fair, a lot of the complaints about Conte were because he said that the transfers or lack of them wasn't anything to do with him, and people just called that bollocks.  So what is the difference with Sarri saying the same thing?

I think the difference is allegedly Conte wanted more input and specific targets that the club disagreed with, or couldn't recruit. 

Sarri doesn't appear to want that same level of input. 

Obviously it's very easy to say that now, if he gets given players that dont fit his philosophy, then I don't think he will be too happy either. 

We spent 2 years buying young technical players with high potential, then we brought in Jose, and then Conte, who like to work with more senior players, who are perhaps more physical and disciplined tactically. 

Its been a bit of a contradiction I feel, and I think it has caused friction, with the previous 2 managers, that has seen us make some strange decisions in the transfer market, in an attempt at compromise. 

Sarri seems a better fit, but it's very early days yet.

4 minutes ago, big blue said:

I think the difference is allegedly Conte wanted more input and specific targets that the club disagreed with, or couldn't recruit. 

Sarri doesn't appear to want that same level of input. 

Obviously it's very easy to say that now, if he gets given players that dont fit his philosophy, then I don't think he will be too happy either. 

Sarri seems a better fit, but it's very early days yet.

I think Sarri is downplaying his input.

Look at the players we’re being linked to Jorginho, Higuain, Rugani have all worked with Sarri previously. He’s clearly asked for those players. 

A lot of our rumoured signings are from Serie A and I don’t think that’s any coincidence. I get the impression that Sarri has asked for certain positions to be strengthened and has given specific players he thinks will be best and those are the targets we’re chasing initially. 

Sarri’s smart in distancing himself from the transfers because it was clearly such a big area of conflict between Conte and the board and you can bet that was discussed as part of recruiting Sarri. 

4 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Look at the players we’re being linked to Jorginho, Higuain, Rugani have all worked with Sarri previously. He’s clearly asked for those players. 

A lot of our rumoured signings are from Serie A and I don’t think that’s any coincidence. I get the impression that Sarri has asked for certain positions to be strengthened and has given specific players he thinks will be best and those are the targets we’re chasing initially. 

Sarri’s smart in distancing himself from the transfers because it was clearly such a big area of conflict between Conte and the board and you can bet that was discussed as part of recruiting Sarri. 

No, he said exactly same words in Napoli. He doesn’t like transfer market, he’s really a pitch coach.

6 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Maybe he has asked for those players, or maybe the board have tried to target players that have worked with him previously, to give sarri a better chance to hit the ground running, especially with a short preseason. 

We can only speculate, but I get the impression Sarri is more inclined to say to the board he wants a quick winger, rather than saying, get me Gareth Bale, for example. 

He hasn't been in a position where he could make those demands before, he has always had to work with what he has got, which i believe is part of the reason he got the job. 

It would be bizarre, imo, if they were not discussing specific players with him and actually asking about his personal preferences. He is the one who has to coach them, it is his vision and his tactics that these players will have to implement. 

But there's a difference between a manager who has some ideas / preferences, but is also capable of working within a budget and accepting limitations and a manager that throws a very public strop when he doesn't get the very best and most expensive players.

26 minutes ago, Raff_Sarrista said:

No, he said exactly same words in Napoli. He doesn’t like transfer market, he’s really a pitch coach.

16 minutes ago, benjsross said:

Yeah...he will definitely ask for certain areas and positions. He just won't complain if they fail to come in.

You’ve bought into his brand and his sound bites which is fine but it’s niave to think a coach at a top club doesn’t have input to the board about how he wants to improve the side and which players he wants to do that. 

17 minutes ago, big blue said:

Maybe he has asked for those players, or maybe the board have tried to target players that have worked with him previously, to give sarri a better chance to hit the ground running, especially with a short preseason. 

We can only speculate, but I get the impression Sarri is more inclined to say to the board he wants a quick winger, rather than saying, get me Gareth Bale, for example. 

He hasn't been in a position where he could make those demands before, he has always had to work with what he has got, which i believe is part of the reason he got the job. 

I think he’s requested them. We have a policy of not giving player over 30 more than a 12 month contract and now we’re looking to invest £50m on Higuain? It completely goes against the profile of player we’ve been signing for years now and I believe that the signing has been discussed with Sarri. 

If he’s truly just a “pitch coach” he’d be looking to get Morata up to scratch, instead we’re getting him a player he’s worked with before, got the best out of and clearly trusts.

I don’t think he’s going to be as dissenting towards the board as Conte got at times but he’s going to make his views known at some point, every coach does. 

26 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

You’ve bought into his brand and his sound bites which is fine but it’s niave to think a coach at a top club doesn’t have input to the board about how he wants to improve the side and which players he wants to do that. 

I think me and you are on the same page....I said he would have an input - but he wont compain. He won't complain publicly that is. 

I had no problem with Conte being annoyed by transfers, I was just annoyed he constantly brought it up publicly. 

36 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I think he’s requested them. We have a policy of not giving player over 30 more than a 12 month contract and now we’re looking to invest £50m on Higuain? It completely goes against the profile of player we’ve been signing for years now and I believe that the signing has been discussed with Sarri. 

If he’s truly just a “pitch coach” he’d be looking to get Morata up to scratch, instead we’re getting him a player he’s worked with before, got the best out of and clearly trusts.

I don’t think he’s going to be as dissenting towards the board as Conte got at times but he’s going to make his views known at some point, every coach does. 

Targeting Higuian does tick out like a sore thumb admittedly. 

Everything I have read though says we would only sign higuian, if morata asks to leave. So maybe sarri doesn't see a problem with trying to work with morata. 

I also don't think it is even a given that we are interested in higuian, Juve have 1 too many forwards, and I'm sure they would love to get an aging big earner like higuian off the books, and it is an easy story to link him with a move to us with the sarri connection.

He said the same thing at Napoli when asked about transfers he won't go to the media and create a storm like Conte, he has an appreciation for the opportunity he has been given his story is great he didn't start at the top, he didn't have a footballing reputation to fall back on he did it the long way.

11 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

Personally, I always thought Conte meant he didn't control who the club bought and sold ultimately. He could ask for a list of players but the decision was out of his hands and similarly the decision to sign players he may not have asked for was also out of his control. I don't remember him saying he had no influence but if anyone actually believes a Premier League manager making millions doesn't at least get his own voice heard they are kidding themselves.

Control and influence are different matters though. So yea Conte said he didn't control transfers but that doesn't mean he didn't get his two cents in on who or the type of player we brought in during that time and I don't remember if he said otherwise. If he had then it's all good to call him a liar because unless there was some great coincidence we sure signed a lot of players he would have been familiar with. 

Sarri may say all these things about the market and transfers but he hasn't come out, yet, and talked about his role in it. I'm sure like Conte he has suggested areas we could improve and who could fill those holes. He's probably also not in control and I imagine if he asked for Sandro tomorrow he wouldn't get him because though he may have influence in buying a player like Jorginho he doesn't have control over whether or not the cash is spent. So if he starts complaining about the lack of players or the poor quality being brought in then I'd feel justified calling him out, he hasn't done that though. 

Agree with a lot said here but one difference I’m curious about between Conte’s time at the club and Sarri’s/now is Emenalo. Do we have others providing input on transfers, what types of players might be, say, a quick winger we have an eye on that we’d snap up for Sarri upon request? How much of it is on autopilot since Emenalo left and is the scouting network strong enough on its own?

10 hours ago, VG said:

How much of it is on autopilot since Emenalo left and is the scouting network strong enough on its own?

I don't know how much has changed with the Emenalo role, but our scouting has always seemed really strong. Haven't heard of any major changes with that.

The manager has input in the type of player they identify. It's then up to the DoF (Now Marina) to organise a shortlist of the best players by gathering the data from the scouting team. That's why the profile of the players we are targeting are different now that Sarri is manager.

Monchi did an interview a while back explaining this process in more detail.