Maurizio Sarri Officially Appointed

dR3

7 minutes ago, KonaKai Blue said:

Every man and his dog knows we needed to sign goals in the summer. Mahrez and Fekir were up for grabs.

I think the problems are deeper than just that one.

This so called "sarriball" is very one dimensional and we are still far, far too reliant on Hazard. There is no Plan B under Sarri and if Hazard isn't on fire then we look pretty ordinary, as we have been doing for a long time now.

Sarri has turned Kante from best in the world at his position to a player who's so out of comfort zone that his position in the team should now be in question. He doea not and never will have the skill level and talent to play where he's playing now.

Kovatic looks like another who can turn in one moderate performance after another and be given game after game just because we paid good money for him. 

William remains the yoyo player he's always been and then we come to the strikers...eek!!!

Perhaps some realism will sink in now and we can forget about challenging for the title anytime soon. We look at City and Liverpool and see they have creativity and firepower in depth. We are well short of their level.! 

There's huge work to be done on this team/squad and I think we're at least 5 top players away from being title challengers so the manager is going to need proper time, and  im talking the season after next to get us to serious title contentenders.

12 minutes ago, Dixon said:

This so called "sarriball" is very one dimensional and we are still far, far too reliant on Hazard. There is no Plan B under Sarri and if Hazard isn't on fire then we look pretty ordinary, as we have been doing for a long time now.

Sarri has turned Kante from best in the world at his position to a player who's so out of comfort zone that his position in the team should now be in question. He doea not and never will have the skill level and talent to play where he's playing now.

Kovatic looks like another who can turn in one moderate performance after another and be given game after game just because we paid good money for him. 

William remains the yoyo player he's always been and then we come to the strikers...eek!!!

Perhaps some realism will sink in now and we can forget about challenging for the title anytime soon. We look at City and Liverpool and see they have creativity and firepower in depth. We are well short of their level.! 

There's huge work to be done on this team/squad and I think we're at least 5 top players away from being title challengers so the manager is going to need proper time, and  im talking the season after next to get us to serious title contentenders.

You're expecting Sarri to come in and wave a magic wand. We've won 5 and drawn 1 out of 6 games. A little bit of perspective is needed. Nobody even expected him to come in and achieve that in his first time in the PL. He's one of four managers to achieve 5 wins consecutively as a coach in the Prem. He's not a miracle worker, but he'll improve the players. He said we required at least 3 months to get his idea of football and the players have learned pretty fast. The space between midfield and defence is improved and slowly things are improving.

Sarri has came into a PL that has improved even more with midtable sides getting stronger and better managers, and even the likes of newly promoted Fulham and Wolves playing good football and showing their tactical nous. Liverpool and City are 3/4 years matured compared to us, so I personally think Sarri's start to the league has been brilliant. 

You also criticise a new player in Kovacic who is new to EPL and is himself still adapting too. You have way too high expectations at the moment. I would recommend a lot more patience. 

Edited by enigma

You're expecting Sarri to come in and wave a magic wand. We've won 5 and drawn 1 out of 6 games. A little bit of perspective is needed. Nobody even expected him to come in and achieve that in his first time in the PL. He's one of four managers to achieve 5 wins consecutively as a coach in the Prem. He's not a miracle worker, but he'll improve the players. He said we required at least 3 months to get his idea of football and the players have learned pretty fast. The space between midfield and defence is improved and slowly things are improving.
Sarri has came into a PL that has improved even more with midtable sides getting stronger and better managers, and even the likes of newly promoted Fulham and Wolves playing good football and showing their tactical nous. Liverpool and City are 3/4 years matured compared to us, so I personally think Sarri's start to the league has been brilliant. 
You also criticise a new player in Kovacic who is new to EPL and is himself still adapting too. You have way too high expectations at the moment. I would recommend a lot more patience. 
People just want instant success like the society we live in today

22 minutes ago, Dixon said:

You have to learn to walk before you can run, impatience & rushing is not the answer.

Come back in a few months time.

I'm beginning to understand the concept that he is trying to instil in the players and I'm sure boring the opposition to death with a 1000 5 yard side and back passes probably isn't what he is trying to do.  I get it if I see the players 'give n go' ..I'm seeing a lot of 'giving' but hardly any 'go' at the moment as often the player giving the ball stands still especially in the defensive side of the pitch.  The momentum forward for the most part is slow and ponderous albeit we have the ball; I'm pretty sure that is not what he wants to see.  I guess time will tell and we will see where we sit at the end of October and again around the Christmas fixtures.  If we are out of the top 4 it may be a struggle.....but who knows....all we can do is try and remain positive without falling asleep(well today anyway)::HeAdS:::   

25 minutes ago, Brutos said:
37 minutes ago, enigma said:

People just want instant success like the society we live in today

Ehhh???

I clearly said he needs time!

With the players at his disposal I can't see us improving much from the level we are at now, and he has got the Kante situation very badly wrong! If Kante is not restored to his natural and best position I will bet my house he'll be gone by the start of next season. It smacks of what Jose did to Mata.

I fear that Sarri has put all his eggs in one basket with Jorghino and this very one dimensional style of play.  

Edited by Dixon

5 minutes ago, Dixon said:

Ehhh???

With the players at his disposal I can't see us improving much from the level we are at now, and he has got the Kante situation very badly wrong! If Kante is not restored to his natural and best position I will bet my house he'll be gone by the start of next season. It smacks of what Jose did to Mata.

I fear that Sarri has put all his eggs in one basket with Jorghino and this very one dimensional style of play.  

I agree with your points. The Kante situation is very very concerning...a player being asked to play out of position. His effect on the games has been much smaller so far compared to previous seasons.

The problem isn't a lack of plan B - it's the lack of a good enough plan A. That will take time to perfect, just like it did to City and Liverpool. Sarri said it himself, he's surprised that we've taken so quick to his system, but growing pains are bound to occur.

For 15 years we've been a reactive team, now we go out with a desire to dominate every game. Let's just give Sarri time figuring out the dominating part, and leave the reactive aspect to the game waiting for now. 

Edited by opinionsarelike

1 hour ago, Dixon said:

Ehhh???

We don't know how well Kante will do in a new position. Only Sarri can know that seeing him day in, day out, week in, week out on the training field and in games. If Sarri feels and sees he has strengths in a new position, then so be it. Sarri is learning what players fit where and where they don't so he can eliminate what works and what doesn't. I don't think Sarri is playing Kante in a new position for sh*ts and giggles. 

Edited by enigma

2 hours ago, Dixon said:

All this after 7 games, it's ridiculously negative and over thought. No title challenge (we've dropped 2 points only), Kante leaving and playing poorly and has no talent (he's not, he's not, yes he does) kovacic playing because we paid good money (which we didn't, he's on loan) etc. I'm sorry but this is all crap. 

8 hours ago, CFCCAN said:

I'm beginning to understand the concept that he is trying to instil in the players and I'm sure boring the opposition to death with a 1000 5 yard side and back passes probably isn't what he is trying to do.  I get it if I see the players 'give n go' ..I'm seeing a lot of 'giving' but hardly any 'go' at the moment as often the player giving the ball stands still especially in the defensive side of the pitch.  The momentum forward for the most part is slow and ponderous albeit we have the ball; I'm pretty sure that is not what he wants to see.  I guess time will tell and we will see where we sit at the end of October and again around the Christmas fixtures.  If we are out of the top 4 it may be a struggle.....but who knows....all we can do is try and remain positive without falling asleep(well today anyway)::HeAdS:::   

I think what you're seeing is the instinct left by Conte that you dont abandon your defensive post. It takes time to re-wire people.

I also feel like Sarri doesn't implament much progression in the middle and like Conte focuses attack progression on the wings and half spaces. 

Why is everyone so insistent of having Kante sit in front of the back four. 

His biggest talent is his ability to go out a 'search and destroy' the opposition. Exactly what he does in the box to box role. 

In Leicester's title winning season he had the same box to box role and the energy to go both forward and back, same when playing next to Matic. 

For France he looks his most limited and that's when he's told to sit back and let the others (Pogba/Matuidi) get forward. 

Sarri has got Kante's position spot on atm, no need to change it.

I raised the question before the start of the season and it's yet to be answered... Where are the goals going to come from in this team? 

There isn't a single player you would feel confident in scoring 20 goals during the course of the season. Hazard is our biggest goal scoring threat but after him it's pretty slim pickings. Pedro's goal record is probably the most impressive out of the rest of the squad and it's why I can see him starting the majority of the games ahead of WIllian whose best goal return was still under double figures. 

None of the first choice midfield options (Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic) have a record of scoring goals, in fact over the last three seasons they've all averaged one goal each. 

That's our biggest problem as I see it and somehow Sarri is going to have to try and solve it. 

17 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I raised the question before the start of the season and it's yet to be answered... Where are the goals going to come from in this team? 

There isn't a single player you would feel confident in scoring 20 goals during the course of the season. Hazard is our biggest goal scoring threat but after him it's pretty slim pickings. Pedro's goal record is probably the most impressive out of the rest of the squad and it's why I can see him starting the majority of the games ahead of WIllian whose best goal return was still under double figures. 

None of the first choice midfield options (Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic) have a record of scoring goals, in fact over the last three seasons they've all averaged one goal each. 

That's our biggest problem as I see it and somehow Sarri is going to have to try and solve it. 

I imagine the vast majority of our goals in open play are coming from Pedro/Hazard.

For this reason i want to see Barkley play more as he can have a good pop from distance as we saw yesterday. 

Until summer comes back around and we can get rid of Morata and bring in someone that Sarri actually wants i expect it to be a similar season to 2013-14 when we were good under Mou but just lacked that killer edge up top. I want us to bring back Bats in Januray just to try something different as Morata is clearly not working but i can't see that happening sadly. 

37 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

I imagine the vast majority of our goals in open play are coming from Pedro/Hazard.

For this reason i want to see Barkley play more as he can have a good pop from distance as we saw yesterday. 

Until summer comes back around and we can get rid of Morata and bring in someone that Sarri actually wants i expect it to be a similar season to 2013-14 when we were good under Mou but just lacked that killer edge up top. I want us to bring back Bats in Januray just to try something different as Morata is clearly not working but i can't see that happening sadly. 

I think Kovacic is a more rounded player than Barkley but I think we need Barkley's directness. 

He set up Willian after a good forward run against PAOK and come close to give us the lead with his limited minutes against West Ham... He's just more goal scoring focused than any of our midfield options and for that reason I think he should be getting starts. 

No idea what will happen with Batshuayi. Valencia are sitting in the bottom half of the table but he's not made a start for them yet... If he carries on like that, even if there is an option to recall him from loan he's not going to get minutes ahead of Morata or Giroud. 

I think we're going to have some frustrating games this season where we're dominating the opposition but struggling to find a break through and I can see the club looking to invest in a new right winger and centre forward come next summer... It's just a shame nothing came of the rumoured swap deal with United of Willian for Martial.  

I mean to be fair, a week ago we were above Liverpool on goal difference so the goals are there. I think once the players have the Sarri system down pat there will be goals coming from all across the front three and midfield three. If I remember rightly, Sterling had a very average first season under Pep, but then came into his own in the second season and was one of the top scorers in the league. I think it was the same with Sane too. In Pep's first season at City only Aguero scored 20 goals.

Yes, unfortunately we don't have an Aguero, but I'm confident Pedro and Hazard will score goals, and I believe our strikers will score a fair amount between them also. A draw against West ham doesn't mean we necessarily lack goals, just that we are still learning the system and need to continue learning to break down the more defensive systems. We have the creativity available with Fabregas and Jorginho, so that's no excuse now.

Barkley can chip in with goals as he's very capable of doing so. I still think we'll see Pedro/Hazard/Jorginho/Kovacic/Barkley/Willian all score goals between them. I do think Morata will score goals too as the season progresses. He got 12 (?) last season, so if he can add a couple more and Hazard brings his goal tally up to 20+ this season along with Pedro adding goals too, I don't see why we can't do well. May be worthwhile seeing who is available in Jan though. 

Sarri needs more time, the possession football could look pretty ordinary when the other team get the points with less than 30% of the possession. We only had to go back to Pep's first season to see how hard it is to play possession football in this league. Sarri will learn a lot from this game, most of us would have loved 16 points out of first 6 games before the season kicked off, let's not going overboard with keen jerk reactions, we don't need 5 new players everytime we drop points

3 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Why is everyone so insistent of having Kante sit in front of the back four. 

His biggest talent is his ability to go out a 'search and destroy' the opposition. Exactly what he does in the box to box role. 

In Leicester's title winning season he had the same box to box role and the energy to go both forward and back, same when playing next to Matic. 

For France he looks his most limited and that's when he's told to sit back and let the others (Pogba/Matuidi) get forward. 

Sarri has got Kante's position spot on atm, no need to change it.

It confuses me too, I dont see why anyone thinks he`s an out an out DM. He`s never sat deep and patrolled a zone, he`s always been a hunter and very proactive rather than sitting deep.  Were now seeing him get in the box more too and he seems to have a knack of finding space as seen by the way he gets quite a few headers in.