Maurizio Sarri Officially Appointed

He's a very good manager but like many very good managers, he's failing at the easy parts of the job. He needs to start picking the right players not the notoriously fraudulent ones ,(Willian, Morata and Alonso being the biggest of the 3) . These 3 players in particular are undoing a lot of the hardwork he does in the training ground. 

The moment Morata and Willian especially started to see heavy minutes, our form has dropped. We were getting better results and playing better football with Pedro and Giroud. Sarri needs to trust them more. 

I really hope the club shows some patience for once. Sarri needs to be given time to make his system work here. We have seen some promise at times but he took over near the start of the season and inherited most of the squad. January will be telling mostly to see if we bring in any players for Sarri's system and hopefully let some of the dead wood go. I've always felt top 4 was about as good we could hope for this season in the league. Our squad is just not that great when compared to our rivals. and hasn't been for several seasons.

That being said Sarri would certainly benefit from a getting a big win against one of the top 6. Apart from City who we play this weekend, we have played all the rest of the top 8. In those fixtures we managed a win against Arsenal in Emery's early days, and a win against Bournemouth. I think Sarri and his system would gain a huge amount of confidence if we could pull off a win against one of the big rivals. Hopefully that will come Saturday but that looks like a pipe dream at the moment. 

Just now, The Liquidator said:

He's a very good manager but like many very good managers, he's failing at the easy parts of the job. He needs to start picking the right players not the notoriously fraudulent ones ,(Willian, Morata and Alonso being the biggest of the 3) . These 3 players in particular are undoing a lot of the hardwork he does in the training ground. 

The moment Morata and Willian especially started to see heavy minutes, our form has dropped. We were getting better results and playing better football with Pedro and Giroud. Sarri needs to trust them more. 

There are 2 different issues here. As it stands we really don't have a good enough striker to lead the line for a top 4 Premier League team. I like Giroud but he was always regarded as more of a backup. Morata has been given plenty of chances and I just don't think he will work out here. 

The midfield/wing situation is a little different. We have to be able to rotate during months like December when fixtures come thick and fast. Willian has been starting way too much the last couple of months and needs a break. I would be happy to see Hudson-Odoi get more chances in games like this. Ampadu should be getting more minutes too. I would rather see him step in for Jorginho than Cesc these days. 

Alonso doesn't look comfortable in the new formation. He was great under Conte but I think his position may be under threat. I can only assume that Sarri doesn't trust Emerson much more or else I would think he would be playing a fair but. Perhaps some of these questions will be answered in January. 

10 minutes ago, forbzy said:

There are 2 different issues here. As it stands we really don't have a good enough striker to lead the line for a top 4 Premier League team. I like Giroud but he was always regarded as more of a backup. Morata has been given plenty of chances and I just don't think he will work out here. 

The midfield/wing situation is a little different. We have to be able to rotate during months like December when fixtures come thick and fast. Willian has been starting way too much the last couple of months and needs a break. I would be happy to see Hudson-Odoi get more chances in games like this. Ampadu should be getting more minutes too. I would rather see him step in for Jorginho than Cesc these days. 

Alonso doesn't look comfortable in the new formation. He was great under Conte but I think his position may be under threat. I can only assume that Sarri doesn't trust Emerson much more or else I would think he would be playing a fair but. Perhaps some of these questions will be answered in January. 

Giroud is better than Morata becuase unlike Morata he lets Hazard get into the game and we need Hazard  back again firing at least until we can start desperately scrambling for a striker (as we seem to always do)

DsyEuCRW0AEbujX[1].jpg

(Pedro needs to start instead of Willian)

(Giroud needs to start ahead of Morata) 

2 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Giroud is better than Morata becuase unlike Morata he lets Hazard get into the game and we need Hazard  back again firing at least until we can start desperately scrambling for a striker (as we seem to always do)

DsyEuCRW0AEbujX[1].jpg

(Pedro needs to start instead of Willian)

(Giroud needs to start ahead of Morata) 

I cannot disagree with any of that. However I would still like us to have a good enough striker that Giroud is just a valuable option off the bench.

The hard facts are that Roman has sacked a World Cup and CL winning manager half way thru a season. We've taken a big punt on an elderly manager who's never won a sausage and after a promising first half a dozen games, things started to stagnate and then go significantly backwards. Too many fans were blinkered just looking at league position and results rather than actual performances and opposition missing clear cut chances. Sad to say, Sarri is already looking way out of his depth and doesn't know what to do next.  He put all his eggs into the basket of the absolutely woeful Jorginho and now what? Unless we win the Europa League we have almost zero chance of being in the CL next year, and would mean a massive change of philosophy from Roman if he is to be in charge next season.

The only thing in Sarri's favour for him being in charge next season is where the hell the club would go next??? Whatever happens and whoever is in charge the next season or two, the team needs a massive overhall over the next couple of seasons. Try and keep Hazard to go forward with Kante, Rudiger and RLC and keep Barkley, William, Dave and Pedro as squad players. Bin the rest over the next two years.

10 minutes ago, Dixon said:

The hard facts are that Roman has sacked a World Cup and CL winning manager half way thru a season. We've taken a big punt on an elderly manager who's never won a sausage and after a promising first half a dozen games, things started to stagnate and then go significantly backwards. Too many fans were blinkered just looking at league position and results rather than actual performances and opposition missing clear cut chances. Sad to say, Sarri is already looking way out of his depth and doesn't know what to do next.  He put all his eggs into the basket of the absolutely woeful Jorginho and now what? Unless we win the Europa League we have almost zero chance of being in the CL next year, and would mean a massive change of philosophy from Roman if he is to be in charge next season.

The only thing in Sarri's favour for him being in charge next season is where the hell the club would go next??? Whatever happens and whoever is in charge the next season or two, the team needs a massive overhall over the next couple of seasons. Try and keep Hazard to go forward with Kante, Rudiger and RLC and keep Barkley, William, Dave and Pedro as squad players. Bin the rest over the next two years.

Plastic moaner club back I see

Do me a favour :face_palm:

1 hour ago, The Liquidator said:

hes doing a job with what we have.

WE NEED PLAYERRSS

this forum these days

:face_palm::laugh2:

4 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Always going to be a tricky season, lets hope Sarri can get regroup and at least give City a good f**king fight. 

The last thing I want to see is a gutless game where we roll over and accept defeat. 

We aiint what we used to be, But anyone alluding to sarri being sacked or not good enough needs therapy lol

6 minutes ago, KeepCalmCarryOn said:

We aiint what we used to be, But anyone alluding to sarri being sacked or not good enough needs therapy lol

It would be ridiculous to do so. 

I'll admit that I wasn't sold on Sarri, but I didn't know much about him, I do actually like the bloke and we were playing some great football. But I'm not going to get too pessimistic about it, we need to give him time, first season is always going to be tricky for him to adjust. 

I just really really hope we give City a good game win or lose (probably the latter), I really don't want to see a Spurs performance again. 

14 minutes ago, KeepCalmCarryOn said:

I cant speak for the rest but what i want to see from Sarri is tactical flexibility. Different teams have different strengths and weaknesses and there is no one solution fits all (Unless you are Pep and City and plan to buy everything under the sun). We have been very rigid in our system and our substitutions and other teams are now on to us. 

8 minutes ago, Slojo said:

It would be ridiculous to do so. 

I'll admit that I wasn't sold on Sarri, but I didn't know much about him, I do actually like the bloke and we were playing some great football. But I'm not going to get too pessimistic about it, we need to give him time, first season is always going to be tricky for him to adjust. 

I just really really hope we give City a good game win or lose (probably the latter), I really don't want to see a Spurs performance again. 

i'm just happy there's still some rational chelsea fans here.

its like reading the_donald on reddit on here sometimes

particularly last year or two!

He came to England saying he needs players - got 1.

If we aiint challenging and much better next season then ill shut up

1 minute ago, brownindian said:

I cant speak for the rest but what i want to see from Sarri is tactical flexibility. Different teams have different strengths and weaknesses and there is no one solution fits all (Unless you are Pep and City and plan to buy everything under the sun). We have been very rigid in our system and our substitutions and other teams are now on to us. 

we dont have the squad for it.

old boys are managers or tyre salesmen now!

didn't buy well enough to replace and now restricted without being completely corrupt and hustling ffp city style

What the club needs is faith, Patience and a pinch of positivity in the face of adversity.

Cannot get on sarris back for a mixed up squad lacking key assets before bloomin xmas.

The main problem with Sarri is his stubbornness. Ive said it now for a few weeks. However, Im happy he actually rotated a bit today finally.

Also I wonder why in a game like this wolves have faith in GibbsWhite and we have shown none in Ampadu or Hudson Odoi.

Another game where a blatent penalty hasent been given. Same against everton, same against spurs. We are getting cheated constantly and ultimately its costing us bigtime.

2 minutes ago, KeepCalmCarryOn said:

didn't buy well enough to replace and now restricted without being completely corrupt and hustling ffp city style

What the club needs is faith, Patience and a pinch of positivity in the face of adversity.

Cannot get on sarris back for a mixed up squad lacking key assets before bloomin xmas.

What happened to being a coach, and coaching these players. I thought Sarri said he wasent interested in the transfer market.

2 minutes ago, KeepCalmCarryOn said:

We don't have the squad for it and honestly we now don't have the money like before. And the money we do have we don't spend it wisely (Bakayoko, Drinkwater Zappacosta).  I think Costa was the last great impact making positive purchase i remember. 

12 minutes ago, Oli said:

What happened to being a coach, and coaching these players. I thought Sarri said he wasent interested in the transfer market.

If Sarri will have his way then he will not need much in transfer market - persist with his system until everyone has perfected his system. The problem is the results will suffer and he will be sacked and the merry go round will begin again. Panic buys. temporary fix - All the things we wanted to avoid. 

I thought we found a good answer in manager with Conte - he too got replaced, and now Sarri's system is underperforming and but we are still in the boat of uncertainty.

Edited by brownindian
2 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

I liked Sarri’s comments after the game, refreshing honesty. 

The problem with that though is the players don't like it when the manager is honest to the press. They can't take being publicly criticised. Obviously I can't know that for sure, but whenever it happens, it just seems like these players stop playing. But they deserve the criticism, the attitude from the players is so poor at times. I rarely get the feeling that the players have given their all after a game of football anymore, there just seems to be a lack of fight these days. When you see your team showing no fight against Tottenham of all teams, twice in a row, then there must be something wrong there.