Maurizio Sarri Officially Appointed

49 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

He's done about as much Sarri has in management, so what was the justifcation/logic behind Sarri's appointment? 

It's easy to make the comparison right at this moment, with Bournemouth on a bit of a run, and us having a blip. If you had said that a month or so ago, you would have been locked up in the nuthouse.

2 hours ago, Nibs said:

If he know's that, why keep persisting with them? Wolves played their own 18 year old wonder kid last night and reaped the benefits. Ours was nowhere to be seen :sad:

I just think that he could have rotated them better than he has. For mine he has given Willian more playing time than his performances actually warrant, whereas Pedro is more suitable to play the Callejon role because of his movement/finishing. 

Agree that CHO should have been used more than he has been to relieve the two. 

I love his assesments after matches, no excuses straight to the point let's see which player's throw their toy's out the pram. Give this man the time to fix the club. He keeps saying the same thing time and time again player's aren't following his instructions too much space between the lines and the player's still haven't learnt. Said it once and I will say again these players look scared, we need worriers men not boys. Terry, Lamps, Drogba, A Cole, Cech, Essien, Ballack, Ricky proper men who stood up

Some people need to get a grip, we're trying to completely change our way of play yet we're still sat 4th in the table and have only suffered defeat twice. We've had Conte and Mourinho who were both fantastic for us, but they were both a lot more cautious in their approach. This approach is in some of our players DNA (because that's all they've been used to for the past 10 years), and it's going to take at least a season for that to change. 

I'm obviously so gutted about yesterday's defeat (especially as I somehow sit next to a huge Wolves fan at work - what's he doing in London!?), but I can still see the positives, and I believe the negatives are things that can be rectified with hard work and patience. I thought that we played very well for 60 minutes yesterday, I was really pleased until their 1st goal. We were playing good football and creating chances - we should also have had a penalty (how does this always go against us!!?). Their first goal was poor from us, individual errors cost us again. Fabregas should have taken the yellow card and brought Moutinho down once he got past him, and Kepa should have done better with the shot. As soon as it went 1-1 we showed our naivety and completely lost focus and another individual error cost us the 2nd (Willian), although I haven't watched this again it might have been a foul. I wouldn't be surprised.

Cannot believe that some on here are still criticising Jorginho when he's not even involved!

One thing I do think we're lacking is a nastiness to our game. We used to be a strong and nasty team in our heyday, no team would out battle us. For example, Son's goal against us should have been stopped by Jorginho pulling his shirt and taking a booking. And the same goes for Fabregas yesterday, he needed to do the same to Moutinho. That's what all the top sides do.. We're too nice a team. If we can get a nasty edge back I know we'll be OK.

10 minutes ago, DannyVblue said:

One thing I do think we're lacking is a nastiness to our game. We used to be a strong and nasty team in our heyday, no team would out battle us. For example, Son's goal against us should have been stopped by Jorginho pulling his shirt and taking a booking. And the same goes for Fabregas yesterday, he needed to do the same to Moutinho. That's what all the top sides do.. We're too nice a team. If we can get a nasty edge back I know we'll be OK.

This is depressingly true

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

What about if I made the comparison back in May?

Yes but back in May Sarri had not started the job, so you were comparing a prem manager to a Seria A manager, but since then he has settled into the country, brushed up on his English, adopted a squad of players mainly assembled by other managers, and still managed to get a decent start with us in the top four in December, something we all would have settled for in May. 

You said earlier it felt like an AVB appointment at the moment, but thats exactly what your asking for with Howe, another AVB who will struggle to control the very top players.

2 hours ago, Sindre said:

For the record. I support Sarri and want him to succeed.

But as many already have said. For this project to work he’ll need to be backed properly by the club. It’s an incredibly challenging way of playing football, especially in this tough, physical and fast league and I’ve always maintained the belief that you’ll need to perfect squad to succeed with this kind of football in the PL.

The club needs to decide if they want to spend 3-400 million on creating the squad needed for this to work.
If they aren’t prepared to do that then this project will have to be ended before long.

The club stated they would use stadium money for the squad.

obviously FFP is a big point but we need players just like sarri said

Hes choosing the best of a bunch of average grapes imo

12 hours ago, KeepCalmCarryOn said:

Is not failing.

MOAN MOAN MOAN

Do yourself a solid and get back to fifa.

Hey if you like this footy good for you......if you like watching us play like zombies with no soul and passion good for you..........if you like seeing us get bent over by all teams again good for you......keep digging that head in the sand, your doing good.

2 minutes ago, atomis said:

Hey if you like this footy good for you......if you like watching us play like zombies with no soul and passion good for you..........if you like seeing us get bent over by all teams again good for you......keep digging that head in the sand, your doing good.

Jesus f**king christ, what a complete and utter load of bollocks.

1 minute ago, KeepCalmCarryOn said:

everything ive ever had the displeasure of reading written by you.

and its YOU'RE DOING GOOD argh

Dont read then.....I say it as I see it........we are garbage atm and getting worse. Most of us will agree.......its not looking good at all. If you are happy how we play great for you. Im sure last nights game was awesome for you.

5 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

It's all starting to feel a bit AVB again for me. 

It's all well and good having an ideology of wanting to play a certain way but when it clearly isn't working I'd like to see my manager acknowledging that and adapting. 

All well and good saying Kante isn't "technically" good enough to play at the base of the midfield but we've seen another goal conceded where the opposition has blown past the player in that position like they weren't even there. 

We're constantly playing ourselves into trouble, there's no urgency to move the ball forward, we're trying to play passing triangle near our 18 yard box and the opposition are pushing up and winning possession back in our own half. 

Everything is so narrow up front, everyone keeps cutting inside and looking congested. 

Certain players are getting continuously picked despite poor form. 

There doesn't seem to be a clear plan B right now, all the subs are like for like. 

There is an air of stubbornness about Sarri right now. We've not played well in the league for over a month now and I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned. 

Stop f**king maoning.....go play your fifa fella......or some love to say when we dare not to praise the team and manager all game every game.

It has been commented on a bit but what I hope is that Sarri doesn't continue to be too stubborn, as it could well end up costing him his job.

I am all for a coach sticking to his principals and it is still relatively early days, but the signs are when thinks don't work, he is struggling to find a solution. Now a lot of that is down to shockingly poor striker options and that will HAVE to be addressed. But what always get's me and has done with a whole procession of coaches we've gone through down the years, is how they will all ignore possible a alternative in risking a younger, untried player and continue to go with the tried & tested, same old, same old. I know as soon as a few bad results come folk shout "Play the Youth" and I am one of the worse culprits. But it does forever frustrate me that other sides are at least giving their young prospects a chance when we don't. I can recall back in the day having debates with @Chippy (whatever happened to you fella?). When performances & results went tits up, I would clamour for the youth whereas Chippy (and others) would argue the coach see's the players day in, day out in training and we have to accept his decisions. But look at some of the youngsters who have forced their way in to other PL Teams and are doing well - Alexander-Arnold & Gomez at Liverpool (although Solanke is probably regretting his move to Dipperland). Declan Rice at West Ham, Brooks at Bournemouth and a real choker last night seeing Wolves play Gibbs-White and him have a decent game. If we were looking as good as City, I could accept it. Foden has got some game time for them this season but it is going to be hard with the amount of talent ahead of him. So I just hope that if we do continue to drop points, Sarri will try alternatives and shake things up a bit. Guadiola has gone on record as saying even the very best (untouchables) still need to know their place isn't guranteed and there is always competition for places, otherwise players play withinin themselves and get too comfortable and unfortunately, a number of our players look that way just now.

4 minutes ago, Nibs said:

It has been commented on a bit but what I hope is that Sarri doesn't continue to be too stubborn, as it could well end up costing him his job.

I am all for a coach sticking to his principals and it is still relatively early days, but the signs are when thinks don't work, he is struggling to find a solution. Now a lot of that is down to shockingly poor striker options and that will HAVE to be addressed. But what always get's me and has done with a whole procession of coaches we've gone through down the years, is how they will all ignore possible a alternative in risking a younger, untried player and continue to go with the tried & tested, same old, same old. I know as soon as a few bad results come folk shout "Play the Youth" and I am one of the worse culprits. But it does forever frustrate me that other sides are at least giving their young prospects a chance when we don't. I can recall back in the day having debates with @Chippy (whatever happened to you fella?). When performances & results went tits up, I would clamour for the youth whereas Chippy (and others) would argue the coach see's the players day in, day out in training and we have to accept his decisions. But look at some of the youngsters who have forced their way in to other PL Teams and are doing well - Alexander-Arnold & Gomez at Liverpool (although Solanke is probably regretting his move to Dipperland). Declan Rice at West Ham, Brooks at Bournemouth and a real choker last night seeing Wolves play Gibbs-White and him have a decent game. If we were looking as good as City, I could accept it. Foden has got some game time for them this season but it is going to be hard with the amount of talent ahead of him. So I just hope that if we do continue to drop points, Sarri will try alternatives and shake things up a bit. Guadiola has gone on record as saying even the very best (untouchables) still need to know their place isn't guranteed and there is always competition for places, otherwise players play withinin themselves and get too comfortable and unfortunately, a number of our players look that way just now.

I agree certainly in the case of Ampadu and CHO. It is encouraging to see that RLC is now getting some game time and doing well with it too. But Amapadu/CHO have shown that they are ready for the first team too. If the regulars were playing well enough this wouldn't be a question, but too many have looked out of sorts recently and deserve to spend some time on the bench.

I actually think are biggest areas of weakness at the moment are striker and defense. Striker is pretty obvious and we don't have any real options to address this until January. Defense is more related to the new system where players like Azpi and Alonso do not seem as well suited. The backup options in these positions don't seem to be trusted by Sarri for the Premier League either so again perhaps this is something that could be looked at in January. Do we have any youth players worth a look in these positions? From what I can tell most of them are on season long loans (e.g. Jay Da Silva, Trevoh Chalobah). 

4 hours ago, enigma said:

This is why we can''t be a Liverpool or Spurs, or even Man City. We don't give managers time. The first sign of a poor patch and we run for the hills. The fans are the same. People say at the start of the season, we have to give him time, but we never do. We are just a merry go round club and things will never change until the attitude does. The club themselves haven't bought well enough to be an "elite" team, yet we want to eat caviar on a fish and chips budget. It's about time the club addressed their crap recruitment, because if they don't, we will forever be in this cycle. Arsenal are doing well with a new manager, but they also have a striker, actually two, who are scoring goals. One of which is currently the PL top scorer. When you're playing with 8/9/10 men every game, it will come as no surprise we aren't doing better. 

Spot on. If we were to swap our 2 strikers with Arsenal does anybody really believe we would be on the same points total right now?

Also after watching some of Arsenal's game yesterday, their defense is still not that great. They have been on a decent run but for the most part (Spurs game aside) they have just won games against teams that you expect them to beat. They are definitely better than last season and have made some decent acquisitions but that still have a way to go.

Just now, forbzy said:

Spot on. If we were to swap our 2 strikers with Arsenal does anybody really believe we would be on the same points total right now?

Also after watching some of Arsenal's game yesterday, their defense is still not that great. They have been on a decent run but for the most part (Spurs game aside) they have just won games against teams that you expect them to beat. They are definitely better than last season and have made some decent acquisitions but that still have a way to go.

Arsenal will go above us soon if they continue like this.......they show fight and hunger, willing to dig in. We do not atm....emery chnage formation depending who they are up against.........he has benched ozil and rightly so.....I like that. You dont run and give your all, you get benched till you show otherwise. Of course having 2 quality strikers help alot, but thats a board thing. 

@Nibs  have to agree,some of the better young players have to be given game time. The one thing they will give us 'legs'  which can only aid a pressing game. Yes they may cock up a couple of times,gradually though they learn the game.Serious brownie points could be earned by a coach prepared to take a gamble that succeeded. How many past players state 'the manager gave me the shirt for five of so games and told to earn it' who then went on to become greats? One thing I wouldn't expect from a young player is him stopping and throwing his arms in the air cos someone out an arm on his shoulder.

As a sidenote did anyone see the excellent documentary last night on BT, 'Too good to go down' ? About the relegation of ManU  in 1974 and the rebuild under Tommy Doc. Worth a watch to those interested in football in general, a couple of brief Chelsea clips in it too.

2 minutes ago, atomis said:

Arsenal will go above us soon if they continue like this.......they show fight and hunger, willing to dig in. We do not atm....emery chnage formation depending who they are up against.........he has benched ozil and rightly so.....I like that. You dont run and give your all, you get benched till you show otherwise. Of course having 2 quality strikers help alot, but thats a board thing. 

Ozil was rightly benched and that seems to have been an easy decision with Torreira and Guendouzi waiting in the wings. Sarri has also shown willingness to promote players to the first team. Ross Barkley first got his chance and now RLC in mid. Both did well although Ross since picked up an injury. I would be curious to know who you think should be benched and who should replace that player? Up front we don't really have many alternatives. Willian perhaps is one many are calling for and I think Pedro would be starting more if he hadn't recently been injured. In defense I don't think the alternatives would be an improvement. Christensen coming in last night was hardly a benefit. 

45 minutes ago, atomis said:

Stop f**king maoning.....go play your fifa fella......or some love to say when we dare not to praise the team and manager all game every game.

There's a huge difference between fb's well thought out and logically represented posts and your hyperbole filled mush. 

3 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

I beg to differ. We've have been waiting 6 seasons, and still waiting, to see why we paid over £30m for Willian. 

You know that you are just saying that to fit in with the lads.  We both know that you voted for Willian in the Player of the Year vote every season he's been here.