Maurizio Sarri Officially Appointed

9 minutes ago, dkw said:

There's a huge difference between fb's well thought out and logically represented posts and your hyperbole filled mush. 

Whatever the f**k ever........I say it as I see it. If its hyberpole then refute them........

20 minutes ago, forbzy said:

Ozil was rightly benched and that seems to have been an easy decision with Torreira and Guendouzi waiting in the wings. Sarri has also shown willingness to promote players to the first team. Ross Barkley first got his chance and now RLC in mid. Both did well although Ross since picked up an injury. I would be curious to know who you think should be benched and who should replace that player? Up front we don't really have many alternatives. Willian perhaps is one many are calling for and I think Pedro would be starting more if he hadn't recently been injured. In defense I don't think the alternatives would be an improvement. Christensen coming in last night was hardly a benefit. 

Theres no denying our squad is horrible as a Whole........Alosno need th bench........willian the same......morata......and we need to be more flexible.

3 minutes ago, atomis said:

Whatever the f**k ever........I say it as I see it. If its hyberpole then refute them........

Theres no denying our squad is horrible as a Whole........Alosno need th bench........willian the same......morata......and we need to be more flexible.

Ha ha...thanks for proving my point literally minutes after.

3 minutes ago, atomis said:

We cannot change much in our squad until January at least. For now we just have to get the most out of what we have. Based on that I think our starting defense in most games is our best option. You could perhaps argue a case for Emerson over Alonso, but Emerson has his flaws too. In midfield I am hoping we see a couple changes for Saturday's game and I anticipate that we will. Jorginho will certainly be back for the big game, and hopefully Pedro in for Willian. We then have what is effectively a meaningless Europa game on Thursday so we really should give all the young players a chance then.  

1 minute ago, forbzy said:

We cannot change much in our squad until January at least. For now we just have to get the most out of what we have. Based on that I think our starting defense in most games is our best option. You could perhaps argue a case for Emerson over Alonso, but Emerson has his flaws too. In midfield I am hoping we see a couple changes for Saturday's game and I anticipate that we will. Jorginho will certainly be back for the big game, and hopefully Pedro in for Willian. We then have what is effectively a meaningless Europa game on Thursday so we really should give all the young players a chance then.  

Whatever it is its not working atm........we cant continue like this. We will be left way behind. Atleast help the guy in Jan just a bit. But then again Jan is Jan.......not many quality players for sale.

1 minute ago, atomis said:

Whatever it is its not working atm........we cant continue like this. We will be left way behind. Atleast help the guy in Jan just a bit. But then again Jan is Jan.......not many quality players for sale.

I'll be surprised if we are able to sign a top quality striker in the January window. We find it hard enough at the best of times. Shame Tammy is on a season long loan as it would be great to give him a run now his confidence seems to have returned.

1 minute ago, forbzy said:

I'll be surprised if we are able to sign a top quality striker in the January window. We find it hard enough at the best of times. Shame Tammy is on a season long loan as it would be great to give him a run now his confidence seems to have returned.

For sure......

Sarri has identified areas of weakness, in the summer he also wanted a striker, a central defender, a full back, and for whatever reason we did not get them. He has had to work with what he's got until the January window. We are not going to be able to buy 6- 8 quality players in one transfer window, so it will take time. We are in a rebuilding phase/complete style change and need to get rid of deadwood like Moses, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, along with others who were all purchased for a side playing counter attack/defensive football.

From memory, and I stand to be corrected, when discussing a new manager and style, most on this forum stated they would be patient with a manager in adopting a new style, because of the "suffering" with Conte in his last season..........

29 minutes ago, Osgood is Good said:

Sarri has identified areas of weakness, in the summer he also wanted a striker, a central defender, a full back, and for whatever reason we did not get them. He has had to work with what he's got until the January window. We are not going to be able to buy 6- 8 quality players in one transfer window, so it will take time. We are in a rebuilding phase/complete style change and need to get rid of deadwood like Moses, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, along with others who were all purchased for a side playing counter attack/defensive football.

From memory, and I stand to be corrected, when discussing a new manager and style, most on this forum stated they would be patient with a manager in adopting a new style, because of the "suffering" with Conte in his last season..........

I couldn’t have put it better myself.

Why does the playing style have to be revolution and not evolution? We currently don’t have the squad to implement Sarris style completely, so why the hell is he sticking so ridgedly to it?

4231 would work with these players, you can still play a possession based game but the cover we need from Kante for the premier leagues pace & power would be there as well.

If Sarri persists and performances remain poor, we know how this ends, let’s evolve & adapt.

I have been banging on about this for a while, we have been so spoilt over the last decade that we want instant success without wanting to suffer a little to change style's
14 minutes ago, shedpensioner said:

Why does the playing style have to be revolution and not evolution? We currently don’t have the squad to implement Sarris style completely, so why the hell is he sticking so ridgedly to it?

4231 would work with these players, you can still play a possession based game but the cover we need from Kante for the premier leagues pace & power would be there as well.

If Sarri persists and performances remain poor, we know how this ends, let’s evolve & adapt.

Exactly what most of us are saying.......the sh*t will take time, our players are either average or not suited, and we cant do what city etc do. So why not manage with what you have and play to your strenghts until we can get going. We can fight for top 4 if we are willing to be flexible. The past 10 or so games its been the same, no passion, no rhythm, no fight and we persist with the same tactics......its bound to bite us somehow and thats what we are seeing.

40 minutes ago, shedpensioner said:

4231 is mainly a counter attacking formation.

We have signed up to a new direction, to do that we have to stick to it and keep going at it. Look at the two teams that are revving up away from the rest, both had excruciating growing pains at the beginning but both Pep and Klopp stuck to the plan against waves of calls to be more pragmatic and now look. While the pragmatic era got us some good results, the game is moving on we have to move on with it because if we bottle it and resort to type again we will end up floating around with little meaning like Man.United post Fergie.

This season (maybe two) will be painful but it's necessary in order to move with the times, lets be honest City will take some serious stopping while Pep is around so whats the point of resorting to the short term approach if it won't even get us the required instant results (the one plus it had before), let's build an identity, get a few players through so whenever City's domination dies down we are the best places to pounce.

Edited by Argo

4 minutes ago, Argo said:

4231 is mainly a counter attacking formation.

We have signed up to a new direction, to do that we have to stick to it and keep going at it. Look at the two teams that are revving up away from the rest, both had excruciating growing pains at the beginning but both Pep and Klopp stuck to the plan against waves of calls to be more pragmatic and now look. While the pragmatic era got us some good results, the game is moving on we have to move on with it because if we bottle it and resort to type again we will end up floating around with little meaning like Man.United post Fergie.

This season (maybe two) will be painful but it's necessary in order to move with the times, lets be honest City will take some serious stopping while Pep is around so whats the point of resorting to the short term approach if it won't even get us the required instant results (the one plus it had before), let's build an identity, get a few players through so whenever City's domination dies down we are the best places to pounce.

Both Klopp & Pep have evolved there teams, adapted to the premier league, Pep especially isn’t playing as he was in other leagues, he’s adapted to the league he in!

6 minutes ago, shedpensioner said:

Both Klopp & Pep have evolved there teams, adapted to the premier league, Pep especially isn’t playing as he was in other leagues, he’s adapted to the league he in!

Most definitely........in this League you must adapt in some way or you will be eaten up.

17 minutes ago, shedpensioner said:

Minor tweaks maybe (which i can agree Sarri should start doing more) but ultimately the style and philosophy was the same as they did in other leagues, Pep's being possession and Klopp's being to make maximum use of any space on the pitch. Klopp has taken nearly three years to perfect it at Liverpool and even Pep with a blank cheque and taking over from a fellow attacking based manager needed a year of mixed results to get it right.

This type of rut was always likely, this type of football is very complex.

2 hours ago, Osgood is Good said:

They did, but as expected the second we have a poor spell the toys are out of the pram. 

The fellas entirely governed by the players at his disposal. Rather than reliant on an enormous outlay which the owner probably isn’t comfortable with, think we will trade our way into Sarris style. Move on certain players and replace with others more compatible ( it’s not a scientific process; you can do your homework however like buying a second hand motor, you never really know what you’ll end up with)

Echoing previous sentiments, much appreciating his non angle, non narcistoc press conference demeanour.

Edit: he does seem wedded to an idealistic pattern of play; let’s hope Gianfranco can get in his earhole and endear flexibility.

Edited by Ewell CFC

Cundy is a typical fan-gone-pundit, and even though he truly loves Chelsea, his words and analysis on football means absolutely zilch.

I agree that we were terrible after 60 minutes played yesterday. However, we were good before that, against a very decent side. Compare that to when we played Huddersfield in our opening round, and it's a clear improvement. Our players react terrible to adversity, yes, but Sarri did the only thing he could do to change it. The problem is that we have players far too comfortable retreating back to their security blanket of long balls when the going gets tough, but that will take practice and hard selections to get rid of, thus another argument for Sarri needing time (doing what he was hired to do, what he knows best).

The only legitimate criticism I can give Sarri is that he seems to be doing what his predecessors did; pick underperforming and unsuited players - and that will be his downfall. Some players can't and/or won't suit Sarri's style of play, and that's on him to figure out.