cRyptic

Maurizio Sarri Officially Appointed

1 minute ago, shedpensioner said:

As fans we’ve always said that we’d take no success if we could see an improvement in the playing style & a solid direction to bring success, I and others are seeing neither & therefore have a right to question the manager.

Fair enough but out of interest how much time do you think it is fair to give a new manager before you reach that judgement? Sarri joined fairly late in the summer and has had barely half a season so far.

17 hours ago, Argo said:

We played to the players apparent strengths last season and wound up 5th with our second worst half season (results wise) in the Roman era to boot.

In no way or shape comparable......there was war with Conte and the board.....players falling out of favour etc. Conte actually did pretty well considering. Did the same with Jose and bang Conte comes in and we destroy everyone, fast direct lethal footy with tactical master classes in many games. The rest is history.

4 minutes ago, forbzy said:

Fair enough but out of interest how much time do you think it is fair to give a new manager before you reach that judgement? Sarri joined fairly late in the summer and has had barely half a season so far.

Some level of logic is of course needed to really asses the state........but so far he knows one way and one way only. Name one game where tactical changes were made to counter a team ( by that I mean change of formation or taking a defender off for a forward etc ), its always like for like subs and one way of playing. Now im sure we will one day get there IF he gets the right players, quality players.........but even then he will be forced to be more flexable and adapt better. As long as we get that top 4 its all good.....hopefuly we will then build on that. 

I am starting to find this thread a bit hard to read.

There are certain people who have obviously decided they don't like Sarri, and that is of course entirely their right, but now just have absolutely nothing positive to say what so ever. It's got to the point where even the undeniably positive things are either somehow turned into negatives, or where achieved "in spite "of Sarri. I mean you could literally apply that sort of negativity to any scenario if you try hard enough, but I just find it a bit weird to want to. I guess it had just become a point scoring thing. 

I find both sides of the argument interesting when it is constructive though. I am personally enjoying the ride under Sarri so far and have by no means given up. I think there have been positive and negatives, but all in all we are probably about where we should be given our squad and the obvious flaws. 

I still think you have got to give him a season, a striker that scores goals, and then judge him come May. 

At the moment we are still 4th (a position I would take at the end of the season, and would have taken at the start), and are still in every competition. I am personally not finding the football boring (although I admit it hans't been mouth watering either), and am enjoying seeing a new style and ideas (despite some teething problems). It's been said before, but look at Pep and Guardiola in their first seasons for perspective, and remember their budgets in the transfer market. 

Basically, just cheer up and enjoy the ride!

3 minutes ago, mclovin83 said:

There are certain people who have obviously decided they don't like Sarri, and that is of course entirely their right, but now just have absolutely nothing positive to say what so ever. It's got to the point where even the undeniably positive things are either somehow turned into negatives, or where achieved "in spite "of Sarri. I mean you could literally apply that sort of negativity to any scenario if you try hard enough, but I just find it a bit weird to want to. I guess it had just become a point scoring thing. 

I find both sides of the argument interesting when it is constructive though. I am personally enjoying the ride under Sarri so far and have by no means given up. I think there have been positive and negatives, but all in all we are probably about where we should be given our squad and the obvious flaws. 

I still think you have got to give him a season, a striker that scores goals, and then judge him come May. 

At the moment we are still 4th (a position I would take at the end of the season, and would have taken at the start), and are still in every competition. I am personally not finding the football boring (although I admit it hans't been mouth watering either), and am enjoying seeing a new style and ideas (despite some teething problems). It's been said before, but look at Pep and Guardiola in their first seasons for perspective, and remember their budgets in the transfer market. 

Why does it have to be like that though? Many are saying it as they see it, it does not mean we dont like him or want him sacked, I for one have not seen anyone wishing him gone yet. Surely forumers can vent their frustrations regarding tactics, personnal, formation, style or whatever, it does not mean he is done and busted.

Just now, shedpensioner said:

If I could see Sarri adapting his style to suit the current players while he builds his own squad I’d be far happier. At the moment it’s all or nothing with him, and I see that as a massive weakness.

We are currently 6 points clear in 4th and 1 point behind Spurs in 3rd, who have had several years with Pochettino.

34 minutes ago, forbzy said:

About 12 weeks if you look back at some of the posters on here. Has to be given at the very least 12 months imo

One reason why I rarely visit the negativity is shocking same under conte same under Jose in their last seasons

5 minutes ago, Osgood is Good said:

We are currently 6 points clear in 4th and 1 point behind Spurs in 3rd, who have had several years with Pochettino.

Yeah, but you could just as easily say Poch has had basically nothing to spend compared to his rivals, yet he gets them over the line season after season. You give Poch a better team, a fatter squad and he will do damage.

6 minutes ago, Osgood is Good said:

We’re 6 points clear, so what, I’m bored out of my mind watching dull football.

1 minute ago, atomis said:

Yeah, but you could just as easily say Poch has had basically nothing to spend compared to his rivals, yet he gets them over the line season after season. You give Poch a better team, a fatter squad and he will do damage.

So what position in the table do you think our squad should be ?.

Just now, Osgood is Good said:

So what position in the table do you think our squad should be ?.

How would anyone answer such a question? I for one think we can do better.....play faster, more direct, adapt better, play the way that suits the team, the way we played the first 10 games was rather very good.....sadly it has evaporated and thrown to the wind.

11 minutes ago, shedpensioner said:

If I could see Sarri adapting his style to suit the current players while he builds his own squad I’d be far happier. At the moment it’s all or nothing with him, and I see that as a massive weakness.

Because it doesn't work like that, he can't go pragmatic counter and then do another full 180 after getting a few players in, it won't work.

4 minutes ago, atomis said:

Actually Spurs fans were very 50/50 in Pochettino's first season and i even saw one fan go as far as saying he wanted him replaced for Tony Pulis of all people. He only really stamped his mark  (consistently) in season 2 when he was allowed to weed out the wasters and bring more suitable players in.

4 hours ago, the special one said:

A football man adapts to different challenges. Sarri is yet to prove he is, imho.

He was also lucky to inherit an exceptional group of players at Napoli, I think.

We are sat 1 point behind 3rd. Not sure what else people expect. Liverpool are having a fantastic season, City are still pretty formidable. Sarri is coaching this team without a potent front three, including a clinical striker. 

Just now, atomis said:

How would anyone answer such a question? I for one think we can do better.....play faster, more direct, adapt better, play the way that suits the team, the way we played the first 10 games was rather very good.....sadly it has evaporated and thrown to the wind.

Direct football, when most teams are changing to possession based. OK.

24 minutes ago, mclovin83 said:

For example i remember how lots of fans use to gush with envy at how teams including Sarri's Napoli were so comfortable playing out the back wishing we could, now we can as good as any of those teams it's seen as no big deal.

I'm not 100%  sure Sarriball will work but all things considered he's done enough to earn the benefit of the doubt and a summer window to mould the team more in his style.

2 minutes ago, Argo said:

Actually Spurs fans were very 50/50 in Pochettino's first season and i even saw one fan go as far as saying he wanted him replaced for Tony Pulis of all people. He only really stamped his mark  (consistently) in season 2 when he was allowed to weed out the wasters and bring more suitable players in.

Yeah but even then you could see some level of adaptibility, tactical changes.....

Because it doesn't work like that, he can't go pragmatic counter and then do another full 180 after getting a few players in, it won't work.

He wont or cant? So Sarii is either 1 dimensional or too ingrained with this system. Why not mix it up.....let them get the hang of it and dont risk that top 4, then regroup summer time and get it to higher levels. Thats what managing is to me.......you do with what you have and get the best out of the team till time dictates better ( better players suited ).

For example i remember how lots of fans use to gush with envy at how teams including Sarri's Napoli were so comfortable playing out the back wishing we could, now we can as good as any of those teams it's seen as no big deal.

I'm not 100%  sure Sarriball will work but all things considered he's done enough to earn the benefit of the doubt and a summer window to mould the team more in his style.

Oh how people, including myself, complained when we got schooled by Man City at SB under Conte, and never got out of our half for 90 mins

7 minutes ago, Osgood is Good said:

Direct football, when most teams are changing to possession based. OK.

Who gives a f**k what other teams are doing as long as you do your best and most optimal, havent we beat many of the great possession teams by playing our way, teams that were far better than us at it. And I cant agree with you on this, most teams play fast direct footy Eng.

14 minutes ago, Brutos said:

One reason why I rarely visit the negativity is shocking same under conte same under Jose in their last seasons

People have gotten too spoiled with past seasons. The league has changed, it's gotten tougher. Liverpool were nowhere to be seen a couple seasons ago, but they've come good by sticking by Klopp and investing well.

Spurs have done next same with Pochettino and it shows. Since we won our last title, Liverpool and City are much better. Spurs are also in good form. Arsenal have a new manager.

It was never going to be an easy ride for Sarri this season. I would argue this is the most competitive season for any chelsea coach. 

Personally I was a huge fan of Conte and Mourinho. 

Unfortunately, it didnt work out. Here we have Sarri that does not have a drogba or lampard yet we are competing well with players such as Willian or Alonso who is certainly very far from being in Ashley Cole's level. Pulisic is a good signing and paredes if signed will make the team much better. So far Sarri has not complained one bit and it seems to me he genuinely wants to improve the young players so i think we will only see sarriball next season. Hopefully we will play in champions league too. Patience is needed.