cRyptic

Maurizio Sarri Officially Appointed

2 minutes ago, Brutos said:

Let's see who will down fully down tools and who will step and absolutely glad he's laid into the players. We need to get rid of quite a few, some might not like this but hazard included why because I believe subconsciously he's become complacent too.

We need a fresh rebuild similar to Klopp at Liverpool, but will he be given the time to do so, I,hope he does.

I didn't want to mention the 'H' Bomb, but agree tbh, there was an interview with Luiz by Rio at the start of the game, he really was enthusing about Sarris style, but you just know, there is a good way to go, to grasp and implement this new style

I keep hearing we have bad apples in the team but no names. 

If we dont get some characters in the team, leaders, we will get nowhere with Sarri or whoever else.

there is a rebuild happening tho - the board won't give long term to the 30+ crowd - we're a window away from not seeing any Mourinho guys on the starting 11.  With Pedro, Willian and Hazard, as a unit are soft and not direct enough.  I think our team is too nice, only luiz seems to have an attitude.  get physical with us, and we give sloppy fouls up in return.

Massive fee for EH, invest and get another quality striker in, Keep CHO, i like Pedro, should of Kept Cesc and paid him for another year, maybe sell Jorgi, not sure he cut for the PL, their is quality out there, take a look at Moutinho for Wolves, just like Cesc

6 minutes ago, Gentian said:

I keep hearing we have bad apples in the team but no names. 

If we dont get some characters in the team, leaders, we will get nowhere with Sarri or whoever else.

I don't think it's just bad apples, I think it's the lack of a personality.  Willian, Hazard, Pedro, Kante, Kovacic are all excellent players, but none are fiery run it down your throat types.  I think we just have too many beta's for as talented as Hazard is he still seems to me to truly work better playing the co-pilot role as opposed to driving a team's attack.  Mo Salah can play a 9 and no one whines about him being out of position.

32 minutes ago, Semper Fi said:

One of the reasons why Hazard needs to move on. He lacks hunger at Chelsea. Better for both parties he goes. 

Hold on, I am fine for Sarri to make complaints about players if they aren't motivated enough, but why are so many jumping to the conclusion that it's Hazard that is the problem? Up until now, he has been by far our best player this season. The only reason why he isn't performing as good as he was is because he has been moved into a position he sucks at playing.

I tend to see this quite often now around this point in the season and I think it's become a bit of a joke. Without Hazard's goals and assists, something he leads the way in at the club, we wouldn't be anywhere near the top, we would be struggling to stay in the top 10, and that isn't just this season either, that goes for last season too. Hazard is the last person we can accuse of not being up for it this season. If he isn't up for it, then what does that say about the rest of the team?

I'll say again Luiz and Willian chucked a wobbly last season under Conte and should have been moved on. 

Luiz is a leader in the dressing room but it would surprise me greatly if that was in the right direction. We've had this ever since our little Brazilian clique formed. 

I've maintained for a while that if we don't already we should pay closer attention to mentality when recruiting. We need a new generation of leaders and hardnosed pricks to add some steel.

Sarri has made a fool of himself with those comments in the presser. 

The job of a coach is to motivate & improve players, has he done that with any of the players he has inherited? He’s turned the best attacker in the league into the worst centre forward!

Advice for Sarri, shut up & get on with your job.

3 hours ago, enigma said:

He already said recently the team isn't good enough yet to change tactics or formation. I think changing both would undo any positive work so far. No more tinkering.

Do people seriously think any manager would do any better without a reliable striker up top? Every one of our rivals have a goal threat up top. We don't. It's the obvious common denominator right now. We will have to wait to see if Higuain is the answer. 

You really are deluded when it comes to your constant posts about Sarri. Id like to emphasis also that this isnt a knee jerk reaction to todays loss.

But what really really irritates me about Sarri is his complete unwillingness to ever change anything. He came out in September saying he isnt prepared to change the back four. What kind of message it is sending to the team when Alonso has been trash this year, and Emerson has been fairly good. Then you got Christensen who defensively has looked a rock recently, who in my opinion needs to be playing against the teams that are pacey in attack.

Then you have Callum Hudson Odoi, who a few months back Sarri was basically saying wasent good enough. Bayern come in with a bid and suddenly its only positive words about him, same with Christensen when Barca were linked. However theres only so much he can continue showing a lack of faith in either.

Then you can the case of him contuining with the same usual suspects week in week out regardless of form or what they even bring to the team. When we are losing 2-0 to Arsenal, why is Jorginho not being replaced by Barkley. Him and Alonso literally are assured to be playing every week no matter what.

And lastly onto this false nine business. We are struggling in a big big way to score goals. Hazard is isolated against three big defenders every game, so we have basically nullified the threat of our best player. It clearly isnt working yet game after game it continues. Us as fans have to continue to watch this horror show. Say what you want about Morata, but 9 goals in 22 or so matches, isnt the most shocking figures ive seen. We need an upgrade on him and Giroud for sure, but im starting to even question if Sarri is deliberately leaving both out so he are forced to sign Higuain.

Anyway rant over, we are still top 4 atleast for now which cant be ignored. In a cup semi final. Im just annoyed more than anything about the absolute stubbornness of Sarri. Every coach no matter you are needs atleast some flexibility.

2 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

I'll say again Luiz and Willian chucked a wobbly last season under Conte and should have been moved on. 

Luiz is a leader in the dressing room but it would surprise me greatly if that was in the right direction. We've had this ever since our little Brazilian clique formed. 

I've maintained for a while that if we don't already we should pay closer attention to mentality when recruiting. We need a new generation of leaders and hardnosed pricks to add some steel.

I’ve seen people mention the “Brazilian influence” in our dressing room. 

Conte was obviously onto something, he disliked Costa, Luiz & Willian. Moved on Oscar & Ramires. 

Maybe he saw a disruptive influence from them. 

Hold on, I am fine for Sarri to make complaints about players if they aren't motivated enough, but why are so many jumping to the conclusion that it's Hazard that is the problem? Up until now, he has been by far our best player this season. The only reason why he isn't performing as good as he was is because he has been moved into a position he sucks at playing.
I tend to see this quite often now around this point in the season and I think it's become a bit of a joke. Without Hazard's goals and assists, something he leads the way in at the club, we wouldn't be anywhere near the top, we would be struggling to stay in the top 10, and that isn't just this season either, that goes for last season too. Hazard is the last person we can accuse of not being up for it this season. If he isn't up for it, then what does that say about the rest of the team?

Hazard doesn't seem motived anymore he doesn't have that drive. He's given us all he can sometimes you just have to move a player on even if he's one of the best.

As for tg squad I think the Brazilian clique needs breaking up and moving on.

Someone mentioned we don't have any nasty players and that's another issue we lack that nasty streak that Essien that muscle

14 minutes ago, JMaher94 said:

I’ve seen people mention the “Brazilian influence” in our dressing room. 

Conte was obviously onto something, he disliked Costa, Luiz & Willian. Moved on Oscar & Ramires. 

Maybe he saw a disruptive influence from them. 

Costa being moved on I think poisoned that relationship with the Brazilians. The fact we had the likes of Kenedy, Luiz and Willian not playing and sniping didn't help.

Wouldn't surprise me if Hazard is in this crew too. He was certainly an underminer of Jose along with Fabregas and Costa.

We just have to be cleverer about our recruitment. Drogba, Lampard, Terry etc. fought managers because they were ruthless winners who demanded perfection. Remember they had issues that Scolari didn't train the team hard enough? This with apologies to Groundskeeper Willie might be a group of noodle armed choir boys not up for the hard work or the fight. Not the type you want around.

This is the time to start breaking the tradition, dropping points be damned. If these players from today dont respond then drop them. I bet CHO, Christensen, Emerson and Ampadu would be very happy to play in their places. 

Ampadu for Jorginho, CHO for Willian, Emerson for Alonso and Christiansen for whichever CB is our biggest problem. That eliminates the big under performers right there. 

Chelsea have many problems, not just Sarri, but the guy doesn't help himself by being so predicatable with his tactics and formation even bielsa wouldn't bother to spy on him. Chelsea consistently show they pick the players over the coach and can't see this ending any differently at this rate. He's bringing very little to the table - has he successfully changed a game going awry tactically once this season?

Drop those who are not performing Sarri.

Give chances to Emerson, Ampadu, CHO, Christensen hell maybe even drinkwater.

I think we are all tired of seeing how inept we have been recently.

1 hour ago, Spiller86 said:

Costa being moved on I think poisoned that relationship with the Brazilians. The fact we had the likes of Kenedy, Luiz and Willian not playing and sniping didn't help.

Wouldn't surprise me if Hazard is in this crew too. He was certainly an underminer of Jose along with Fabregas and Costa.

We just have to be cleverer about our recruitment. Drogba, Lampard, Terry etc. fought managers because they were ruthless winners who demanded perfection. Remember they had issues that Scolari didn't train the team hard enough? This with apologies to Groundskeeper Willie might be a group of noodle armed choir boys not up for the hard work or the fight. Not the type you want around.

Cech, Terry, Lampard and Drogba was that good they could win trophies without a manager. We was really lucky to have leaders like that for such a long period.

I do think the football has been dreadful to watch for months now though this doesn't mean I want Sarri sacked or I am a plastic fan. I think you employ a manager you should give him time. I agree with others though that he doesn't seem to help himself, everyone in Europe knew Chelsea's lineup against Arsenal, we all knew the subs, formation etc.  It is so predictable and let's be honest boring. He keeps playing the same underperforming players, Willian, Alonso, Jorginho, Kovacic are all playing badly, why not mix it up and have 2 centre midfielders. Barkley doesn't seem to want to run at defenders which he is good at. When Arsenal know they can just sit back the second half because we wont create anything then you badly need a forward or the manager should have mixed it up, you don't need 3 centre midfielders on the pitch.

1 minute ago, axman2526 said:

Ballack, Essien, Maka and on and on. Our golden period.

Yeah mate, so many leaders. Essien was absolutely top draw, in his prime one of the best. Could actually add Cole to that as well I reckon.

3 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Yeah mate, so many leaders. Essien was absolutely top draw, in his prime one of the best. Could actually add Cole to that as well I reckon.

Both Ashley and Joe for me. Duffer too.

Well, I will jump into this as well. Here goes with random thoughts about the current mess.

We know Sarri's reputation is to rotate only 11-13 players throughout the entire year for domestic league and Europe competitions. This was his rep at Napoli. He has also been known as incredibly stubborn. 

My speculation is that initially, Sarri was a huge welcome sign of relief for many of the players once Conte was out. Remember time between Sarri's arrival and the first PL match was incredibly short. The players were given a free, flowing style, and for the first 8-10 matches in the PL, we looked really open minded on the pitch. But then clearly something changed. Around that point, our forward play slowed tremendously. We drifted back to standing all around the box, passing so everyone gets a touch, overlap on the wings, then reverse back to the other side, very few runs into the box, more passing waiting for that precise play, only to have the opposition clear and then rinse and repeat. We have looked like Chelsea under Guus in late 2015-16 or late last year, struggling to find goals. The last 12-15 matches, there is very little hint of Sarri-Ball out there. It is difficult to watch. 

What has caused this? More speculation here. First, you have to think playing Kante and Hazard out of position has created a lot of issues, not just tactically. I will further conject Jorginho has not been accepted by the team and moving Kante out of his normal role compounds things. Kante is a very respected player by his teammates and Jorginho just showing up and given the keys by Sarri has caused some problems in my opinion. I have watched 95% of every minute played this season, and it is rare Jorginho looks like he is part of the team based on the way everyone reacts to him.

Hazard does not like being the false nine. He has said as much. Playing him there is like playing with two men down, no number 9 and an ineffective Hazard. Combine this with Kante out of position and "no offense or defense Jorginho" at the moment and we are 4 guys down at the opening kickoff. Sarri is too hard headed to look for alternative approaches. We will continue to struggle offensively unless Sarri changes up the formation and some of the lineup. If not, he may not survive a 6th place PL finish.

Lastly, he is correct in my eyes in his assessment, the players are struggling to be motivated, they do not show the hunger on the pitch needed. Why is this coach? Hmmm, maybe he should ask himself first. Going public shows his frustration and proves he is at wits end trying to reach the team. But bottom line, you don't go public with that comment. It is an act of desperation. Basically, he is just saying, "I cannot get them to behave" like a frustrated parent would say about their kids. Unfortunately, I think the comment publicly shows there have been things boiling in the locker room for some time now. And this coincides with our lack of goals the past 12 matches.

All of this is magnified by the lack of a leader on this team, as many have mentioned. No Lampard or Terry here. There is not one player that just screams he loves this badge with all of his heart. I, for one, am ready to get this 3 or 4 year moodiness from the players behind us. If it means a few high profile players need to go, like Courtois over the summer, so be it. This team needs character.

Lastly, unfortunately, I believe 70% - 75% of our losses 2015-16 to present (31) have been as much about attitude and lack of hunger from our players as it has been about the other teams just outclassing us with talent. 

So, in summary, I put the majority of this on Sarri and his decisions, but the lack of leadership within the players allows everything to just fall apart. Leaders could help us get through some of this, though it ultimately would have to be dealt with at year end.

Regardless, I will always KTBFFH. Come on you Chelsea!!

Einstein said that insanity was "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." 

Sarri mate...he just defined your team selections...

8 hours ago, Wearyourblue said:

there is a rebuild happening tho - the board won't give long term to the 30+ crowd - we're a window away from not seeing any Mourinho guys on the starting 11.  With Pedro, Willian and Hazard, as a unit are soft and not direct enough.  I think our team is too nice, only luiz seems to have an attitude.  get physical with us, and we give sloppy fouls up in return.

I guess the fundamental question is, does Roman trust Sarri at the helm to undertake a rebuild? Or does he go with someone he knows? :stirthepot:

Edited by the special one

45 minutes ago, doctorblue said:

Einstein said that insanity was "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." 

Sarri mate...he just defined your team selections...

Not sure the goal was much different though?  He's been getting 4th place results, he says the squads not ready to compete for top 2.  In his mind he's on par, no?