cRyptic

Maurizio Sarri Officially Appointed

10 minutes ago, the special one said:

I guess the fundamental question is, does Roman trust Sarri at the helm to undertake a rebuild? Or does he go with someone he knows?

Well those that want adapting to the players... we had that in spades with Conte.  The problem is, Conte left an d we're stuck with players that Conte had to build a system around.  Even with our best players - many fans/ pundits bemoan only being able to play one role well in certain systems (kante/hazard).  The good thing with going through this with Sarri, is the roster will have better all around players.  To be honest, I don't think he got a better roster when he moved to Chelsea... and I think he thought it would be.  And maybe it's coincidence but there were quite a few players that seemed to get much better under him.

3 hours ago, Chelsea Buzz said:

Well, I will jump into this as well. Here goes with random thoughts about the current mess.

We know Sarri's reputation is to rotate only 11-13 players throughout the entire year for domestic league and Europe competitions. This was his rep at Napoli. He has also been known as incredibly stubborn. 

My speculation is that initially, Sarri was a huge welcome sign of relief for many of the players once Conte was out. Remember time between Sarri's arrival and the first PL match was incredibly short. The players were given a free, flowing style, and for the first 8-10 matches in the PL, we looked really open minded on the pitch. But then clearly something changed. Around that point, our forward play slowed tremendously. We drifted back to standing all around the box, passing so everyone gets a touch, overlap on the wings, then reverse back to the other side, very few runs into the box, more passing waiting for that precise play, only to have the opposition clear and then rinse and repeat. We have looked like Chelsea under Guus in late 2015-16 or late last year, struggling to find goals. The last 12-15 matches, there is very little hint of Sarri-Ball out there. It is difficult to watch. 

What has caused this? More speculation here. First, you have to think playing Kante and Hazard out of position has created a lot of issues, not just tactically. I will further conject Jorginho has not been accepted by the team and moving Kante out of his normal role compounds things. Kante is a very respected player by his teammates and Jorginho just showing up and given the keys by Sarri has caused some problems in my opinion. I have watched 95% of every minute played this season, and it is rare Jorginho looks like he is part of the team based on the way everyone reacts to him.

Hazard does not like being the false nine. He has said as much. Playing him there is like playing with two men down, no number 9 and an ineffective Hazard. Combine this with Kante out of position and "no offense or defense Jorginho" at the moment and we are 4 guys down at the opening kickoff. Sarri is too hard headed to look for alternative approaches. We will continue to struggle offensively unless Sarri changes up the formation and some of the lineup. If not, he may not survive a 6th place PL finish.

Lastly, he is correct in my eyes in his assessment, the players are struggling to be motivated, they do not show the hunger on the pitch needed. Why is this coach? Hmmm, maybe he should ask himself first. Going public shows his frustration and proves he is at wits end trying to reach the team. But bottom line, you don't go public with that comment. It is an act of desperation. Basically, he is just saying, "I cannot get them to behave" like a frustrated parent would say about their kids. Unfortunately, I think the comment publicly shows there have been things boiling in the locker room for some time now. And this coincides with our lack of goals the past 12 matches.

All of this is magnified by the lack of a leader on this team, as many have mentioned. No Lampard or Terry here. There is not one player that just screams he loves this badge with all of his heart. I, for one, am ready to get this 3 or 4 year moodiness from the players behind us. If it means a few high profile players need to go, like Courtois over the summer, so be it. This team needs character.

Lastly, unfortunately, I believe 70% - 75% of our losses 2015-16 to present (31) have been as much about attitude and lack of hunger from our players as it has been about the other teams just outclassing us with talent. 

So, in summary, I put the majority of this on Sarri and his decisions, but the lack of leadership within the players allows everything to just fall apart. Leaders could help us get through some of this, though it ultimately would have to be dealt with at year end.

Regardless, I will always KTBFFH. Come on you Chelsea!!

Very good point. The team is filled with players who would rather create a chance than finish one or are not capable of finishing one consistently. 

IMO everyone but Pedro and Hazard, some days, don't seem interested in having a go at goal or taking a gamble on a run into the box. 

We need players who want to play at the highest level every week and show some determination from minute 1. It's time to start playing other players if there ever was one. Tammy would live in the box, CHO will take on fullbacks and press the issue, Emerson can run up and down the pitch offering something both ways, there will never be a better time for Ampadu to learn what it takes to play at this level, Christensen is too hungry for playing time to switch off. Suck it up and sit some of the ego's down. The way we're going we aren't going to be playing in the CL football next season anyway. How bad is the downside? 

In the end Sarri has to find a solution bc the current team is not capable or ready to play his way right now. If he can't he needs to be sacked for someone who can. I hear Zidane is free, that would keep Hazard around. 

This is the beginning of the end for Sarri, as I see it. It's one thing to throw a couple of players under the bus ( can't blame Morata for this game), it's another to throw all the players but himself under the bus, with a translator by his side to avoid any misinterpretations. He talked about wrong approaches, that's his job to adapt the team's approach against a better team, like he did for once against City. He's keeping the same players, the same let him and the team down every other game. He has no plan B, you'd think a competent manager would have changed team or tactics after the 45 minutes, there was nothing to lose at that stage. It's the same 3 subs every game whether we are losing 0:3 or winning 1:0. Cesc was sold and he complained about lack of cover for Jorginho, when in truth Jorginho hasn't done f* all for months and Cesc should have started more and stayed. He hand picked a player from his last club to run the team, and when the team failed, how could him not taking responsibilities but throw players under the bus? Losing a game like this is bad enough, when he literally could have played for a draw and still could be a good result. Now he had his say, be interesting to see who him picks, if he still picks the same players, just proves he's talking Horse**

Sarri's public criticism of his own players, as many already mentioned here, brings into question their mentality and given what happened in the past, it's only fair to suspect the player power is a bit out of hand at Chelsea, but then again, it's the club that keeps hiring and firing managers without any long term planning, while the key players remain untouchable. I agree that it's quite possible that a number of our players need to be sold, a few positions have to be upgraded but motivating professional footballers isn't as simple as some make it out to be.

Has anyone thought that one of the reasons for the current struggles may have something to do with the fact that many our players have won a number of serious trophies already while our manager hasn't yet? It's all good and well to berate their lack of fighting spirit but don't you wonder if deep inside they simply may not have enough respect  and trust for Sarri's methods, given his résumé? He demands that they prove themselves to him, but they may feel that it should be the other way around. Mourinho, Ancelotti, Conte etc came as proven winners, and even they eventually lost the dressing room after starting strong. To rebuild this Chelsea side into a possession style team is a task of a tremendous magnitude given that we've never ever played that way before, but these players are also known to down their tools when things aren't going well, knowing that it's the manager who'll carry the blame and get sacked, not them.

Sarri was asked recently about not winning anything as a coach and replied that he wished to win something soon just so that people would stop asking him that. While it may have been said partly in jest, this is something that'll be hanging over his head like a shadow until that trophy arrives. I remember Jose stressing the importance of winning a trophy, any trophy with a new team as soon as possible so that the the manager could stamp his authority and create an important bond with a squad. Sarri needs that.

Edited by abramovich

1. Sarri discredits the players
2. We buy Higuain
3. Sarri changes tactics, Higuain starts scoring goals, our form improves and we qualify for CL
4. Sarri is the lord and saviour!

Except for one thing, the support of the players; if he's lost the dressing room he's a dead man walking.

Edited by the special one

Taking the unusual decision to conduct his post-match news conference in his native Italian, Sarri insisted his players' mental fragilities were more responsible for Arsenal's win than his tactical approach, likening the situation to their comprehensive 3-1 defeat against Tottenham at Wembley in November.

"I prefer to speak Italian first of all because I want to send a message to my players, and I want my message to be very clear," Sarri said via translator. "I don't want to make mistakes with my English.

"I have to say that I'm extremely angry, very angry indeed. This defeat was due to our mentality more than anything else, our mental approach. We played against a team which mentally was far more determined than we were. And this is something I can't accept.

"We had a similar issue in the league game at Tottenham. We spoke a great deal about that loss and our approach at the time, and I spoke to the players, and I thought we'd overcome this issue.

"But it appears we still have this issue and we still seem to lack sufficient motivation and being mentally solid and our determination. So I'm not happy, I'm really not happy.

"I'd prefer to come in to the press room, be in the changing room and speak to the players and speak to you now, to talk about the tactics, about why we lost from a tactical point of view, but the fact of the matter is it appears this group of players are extremely difficult to motivate."

Chelsea's defeat means Arsenal and a resurgent Manchester United have both closed to within three points of them in the race for a top-four finish in the Premier League this weekend, and Sarri insisted his players must find a way to overcome their psychological problems if they want to succeed.

"A player at this level can't be afraid to face up to their own responsibilities, or coming to talk to the coach about issues that might arise or mistakes that have been made," he added. "If any player were afraid of that, they shouldn't be playing at this level in the first place.

"I think the best thing that can happen is that the players and I talk very openly. We have to talk openly about what's happening. I'm the person responsible for the team, of course.

"So that means we need to discuss the matters, we have to talk about issues, and it's important my players have the attitude I'm asking them to have. If they don't have that, then maybe they shouldn't be playing at this level."

But despite his fierce public criticism of his players, Sarri insisted he has not wavered in his determination to turn the situation around.

Asked if he is the man to revive Chelsea, he replied: "Yes, absolutely. I'm very aware of the fact this [team] is never going to be a team well known for its battling and fighting qualities. From a technical point of view, those aren't the characteristics that we have.

"But what we need to become is a team capable of adapting, a team that can perhaps suffer for 10 to 15 minutes during the game but then play our own football. We didn't play our own football.

"We didn't play our own football in a sense that... for example, our defending ended up with us running backwards rather than pressing high up the pitch. We are a team that should be playing one or two touches, instead at some stages we were playing with seven or eight.

"This is the sort of thing that we don't want to happen. We want to play our own football and we are going to have to try and change that."

Asked in the mixed zone about Chelsea's struggles to create chances against Arsenal, centre-back David Luiz highlighted the need for the entire team to improve, not only the players up front.

"We have to improve and when I speak about improving I speak not only about the forward but the whole team," he said. "The build-up begins with Kepa. We have had a few games in which we have struggled to score goals so we must have the humility to improve and to work more."

This club has been run pretty poorly for the last 5 years (at least) and the problem is, a couple of league wins glosses over the fact that for two seasons we've missed out on top four and one of those seasons looked abysmal finishing in 10th. I don't trust our board to go out and spend £100m on fullbacks like City did for Pep. People laughed at Pep and City because of the money spent, but now we see the reason for spending this much. They also were wiling to spend out on Jorginho in the summer for that holding role before we got him. City's board believe in the process under Pep and therefore support him. This also helps in acquiring players because they are impressed with the vision and direction of a club. Right now, our board are more business minded and the sole focus has been on balancing the books ever since FFP.

On top of that making poor signings which has cost us hundreds of millions. If the club actually had a long term vision for the club and our style of football, we would be in a much better place. Unfortunately, the club expect to hire and fire managers, bring in the next best guy and expect him to win the league/trophies while being supported only occasionally with a couple signings, thinking "that will do!" and then being surprised when we can't compete against the likes of City and Liverpool whose clubs hierarchy have believed in the process and coach, and fully supported it/them with good quality signings. Things aren't going to change for the better as long as this board remains. I don't want Roman to sell, but if he doesn't start hiring the correct people to improve the club and have a solid long term vision, it might be best to let someone who will take over control.

Edited by enigma

I think it’s abundantly clear to all that it’s make or break time. 6 months in & the honeymoon period is over. We all knew this would come. The system now seems a farce with the manager unwilling to change it, and the players clearly no longer buy into it. The question in my mind is; how bad do things have to get before Roman rips it up & starts again. What a mess. 

If we fail to make the top 4 this season I don’t think Sarri will stay.

Conte, in a turbulent season, finished 5th with a pretty woeful looking midfield and seemingly a lot of conflict with players.

Sarri may be tasked with changing our approach but he’d also be expected to improve result on pitch too.

We’ve been scraping by for a couple of months now but results are in decline along with performances and unless he steadies the ship soon he may just be packing up his packets of Marlboros and heading back to Italy come May. 

I think there has to be a degree of patience though. We are transitioning into a different style of football, unfortunately some of our players don't suit that style due to a lack of technical ability on the ball.

Sarri has to figure out a system ie 4-2-3-1 where Kante and Jorginho compliment each other in central midfield, and give Hazard the No 10 role where he can float about and cause more damage.

Edit: I can't stand that BT Sport panel, all a bunch of Chelsea haters.

Edited by Malcolm9

It will be interesting to see how the club respond bearing other clubs have rebuilt massively and been patient. Klopp finished 8th in his first season and City had some very poor results in Peps first season. 

Sarri’s right in his comments about lacking leaders and fighting qualities. I think the club need to look to buy some players with real leadership and fighting qualities. You wouldn’t fancy this team to go to Barcelona with 10 men. 

We desprately need Higuain to hit the ground running otherwise Sarri is going to have to change systems. He must do otherwise his stubbornness will be his downfall. 

Sarri has now spoke his mind. He has held the players accountable for losses and questioned their mentality publically. He already did this with Morata earlier and now Alvaro is on his way to Madrid. Never in the history have this worked before in our club. With Terry in charge of players you could do this but not today.

Sarri is an old school chief and you can see it clearly now. I think I know how this will pan out but I always tend to be optimistic towards our club. 

What can turn this around is positive results. Maybe Higuain comes in and starts banging in the goals and we win 10 in a row. If not these players will not perform in a manner you need to win with this very new and very cruel system we have. By cruel I mean Arsenal happens if you are not 100% committed to it. 

Anyway interesting and yet worrying times at Chelsea. 

Of course, it doesn’t help with players blackmailing the club over the contracts and whether they will sign a new deal. Doesn’t help anything. Just adds uncertainty

37 minutes ago, JM7 said:

It will be interesting to see how the club respond bearing other clubs have rebuilt massively and been patient. Klopp finished 8th in his first season and City had some very poor results in Peps first season. 

Sarri’s right in his comments about lacking leaders and fighting qualities. I think the club need to look to buy some players with real leadership and fighting qualities. You wouldn’t fancy this team to go to Barcelona with 10 men. 

We desprately need Higuain to hit the ground running otherwise Sarri is going to have to change systems. He must do otherwise his stubbornness will be his downfall. 

Yes, we have to accept Hazard will leave and others may have to be shipped too in the summer. We are sitting in fourth, so nowhere near bad enough. We've been unfortunate with poor officiating robbing us of legit goals which could have won us games. We have also made chances, but haven't been clinical enough. The team has also been playing all season with a striker who has confidence issues and can't hit a barn door if he tried and another striker who is equally as poor, but gives us something a little different.

We have zero creative outlet in midfield, even more so now Fabregas is gone. I personally don't think changing managers is going to help whatsoever, especially as long as the current hierarchy are still at the helm. Things won't change as long as they are still there. We can hope for a fortunate cup win or league win because they may bring in a couple quality players, but overall they don't seem to acknowledge when a coach needs support. If you can't accept that, don't expect us to be winning things any time soon. Spurs, City and Liverpool are all run better than us, and Arsenal with a new coach and Utd too with a new coach are and probably will continue to be invigorated. 

35 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Of course, it doesn’t help with players blackmailing the club over the contracts and whether they will sign a new deal. Doesn’t help anything. Just adds uncertainty

Perhaps that's the crux of it, Sarri is (albeit indirectly) issuing an ultimatum to the players - play or leave?

Edited by the special one
grammar

There might well be time Zola is our interim manager. Next 6-8 games could already decide that. I think Sarri will get through the season and I really hope but his outburst really was a surprise to me. 

6 hours ago, Chelsea Buzz said:

Well, I will jump into this as well. Here goes with random thoughts about the current mess.

We know Sarri's reputation is to rotate only 11-13 players throughout the entire year for domestic league and Europe competitions. This was his rep at Napoli. He has also been known as incredibly stubborn. 

My speculation is that initially, Sarri was a huge welcome sign of relief for many of the players once Conte was out. Remember time between Sarri's arrival and the first PL match was incredibly short. The players were given a free, flowing style, and for the first 8-10 matches in the PL, we looked really open minded on the pitch. But then clearly something changed. Around that point, our forward play slowed tremendously. We drifted back to standing all around the box, passing so everyone gets a touch, overlap on the wings, then reverse back to the other side, very few runs into the box, more passing waiting for that precise play, only to have the opposition clear and then rinse and repeat. We have looked like Chelsea under Guus in late 2015-16 or late last year, struggling to find goals. The last 12-15 matches, there is very little hint of Sarri-Ball out there. It is difficult to watch. 

What has caused this? More speculation here. First, you have to think playing Kante and Hazard out of position has created a lot of issues, not just tactically. I will further conject Jorginho has not been accepted by the team and moving Kante out of his normal role compounds things. Kante is a very respected player by his teammates and Jorginho just showing up and given the keys by Sarri has caused some problems in my opinion. I have watched 95% of every minute played this season, and it is rare Jorginho looks like he is part of the team based on the way everyone reacts to him.

Hazard does not like being the false nine. He has said as much. Playing him there is like playing with two men down, no number 9 and an ineffective Hazard. Combine this with Kante out of position and "no offense or defense Jorginho" at the moment and we are 4 guys down at the opening kickoff. Sarri is too hard headed to look for alternative approaches. We will continue to struggle offensively unless Sarri changes up the formation and some of the lineup. If not, he may not survive a 6th place PL finish.

Lastly, he is correct in my eyes in his assessment, the players are struggling to be motivated, they do not show the hunger on the pitch needed. Why is this coach? Hmmm, maybe he should ask himself first. Going public shows his frustration and proves he is at wits end trying to reach the team. But bottom line, you don't go public with that comment. It is an act of desperation. Basically, he is just saying, "I cannot get them to behave" like a frustrated parent would say about their kids. Unfortunately, I think the comment publicly shows there have been things boiling in the locker room for some time now. And this coincides with our lack of goals the past 12 matches.

All of this is magnified by the lack of a leader on this team, as many have mentioned. No Lampard or Terry here. There is not one player that just screams he loves this badge with all of his heart. I, for one, am ready to get this 3 or 4 year moodiness from the players behind us. If it means a few high profile players need to go, like Courtois over the summer, so be it. This team needs character.

Lastly, unfortunately, I believe 70% - 75% of our losses 2015-16 to present (31) have been as much about attitude and lack of hunger from our players as it has been about the other teams just outclassing us with talent. 

So, in summary, I put the majority of this on Sarri and his decisions, but the lack of leadership within the players allows everything to just fall apart. Leaders could help us get through some of this, though it ultimately would have to be dealt with at year end.

Regardless, I will always KTBFFH. Come on you Chelsea!!

::clap2::

1 hour ago, evissy said:

Sarri has now spoke his mind. He has held the players accountable for losses and questioned their mentality publically. He already did this with Morata earlier and now Alvaro is on his way to Madrid. Never in the history have this worked before in our club. With Terry in charge of players you could do this but not today.

Sarri is an old school chief and you can see it clearly now. I think I know how this will pan out but I always tend to be optimistic towards our club. 

What can turn this around is positive results. Maybe Higuain comes in and starts banging in the goals and we win 10 in a row. If not these players will not perform in a manner you need to win with this very new and very cruel system we have. By cruel I mean Arsenal happens if you are not 100% committed to it. 

Anyway interesting and yet worrying times at Chelsea. 

Agreed.

I have a familiar feeling how this will play out with our gutless board, but it would be so refreshing if they stood by the manager and we trusted him to change our path, if that is what they believe, which by employing him should have been a statement of their belief. Let's not forget when the board appointed Conte it was because the team were deemed to be mentally fragile and high maintenance and it needed a strong disciplinarian to work their bollox off. He came in, they ran like trojans and we won the league. It then slipped back, he bombed off Costa for his attitude and the board completely bottled it by not supporting him.

If, as we believe, or have been led to believe, this man is capable of creating greatness then let's back him. If it means fcking off the prima donnas and he collects together a group of players slightly below the A-list as well as some youngsters and he creates superstars, I for one would be made up.

Much as i can't stand the scouse i would give my eye teeth to have a Robertson story at our club, rather than the high priced prima donnas who aren't up to the pace or physicalities of our league anyway.

Still, as mentality weak as the players may be, i suspect that Sarri's is a lonely voice at the club as recent history has proven that the board similarly has very few, if any, mentally strong people who are willing to publicly back the managers that they appoint.

I really hope this window he gets Higuaín and either Paredes or someone similar. So at least he has a fair crack of the whip so to speak.

I wonder about those long Luiz passes out to Pedro, is that part of Sarri's plan or in spite of Sarri?

What Sarri said is probably all 100% true. I think he has been very honest the whose season in his comments. However not sure this is the way to handle this problem. 

I really hope the players look in the mirror and once again start listening the manager. Sarri needs to find a way to motivate them.